• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impressive second half and I like what I saw from Brooks and Johannsson out there. Jozy is on fire right now.

The upcoming qualifiers are going to be tough, so I hope the US learned from what happened in the 1st half today.

Just wanna say thanks to Bos's Boss, preciate dem subs homie.

Great turnaround from Jozy. Jo Bacon looks greasy, can't wait to see more from him. What did you guys think of Brooks? He had some great moments, but also some fuckups.

Nesotenso

was a friendly.

lots of subs. but we had a makeshift backline. Brooks and AJ can make the 23. good tactical switch. lots of positive. EJ and JJ had poor games.

daoster

What I have to say is....the Iceman...even though he didn't score, I really liked the way he was playing.

Brooks, too actually.

I think we should maybe take a look at Aron @ Costa Rica, and...dare I say it, if we've already qualified by then, Brooks against Mexico.

AXOuCdr.gif

Just wanna say thanks to Bos's Boss, preciate dem subs homie.

Great turnaround from Jozy. Jo Bacon looks greasy, can't wait to see more from him. What did you guys think of Brooks? He had some great moments, but also some fuckups.

He was overall solid.

Hard to expect much more from him playing his first match with this backline in hostile territory against the constant pressure of the Bosnian attack (especially in the first half)

Meier

damn Jozy went in. 3 goals and an assist.

8647513641_860d9c007b_o.gif

lol, PDC is such a character. Can't wait to see some of his reactions this year when Jozy is banging them home. I was pretty happy with Brooks during the periods of play that I watched. He's only 20 and will get better all season as he deals with Bundesliga oppositions. Dzeko narrowly got the better of him on his second goal but Dzeko is so far beyond every opposing player in the CONCACAF (except maybe Chicharito -- he's better than him but it's closer at least) that it isn't even funny so allowing a goal or two from him ain't nothing to be ashamed about.

Nesotenso

Why does Mexico keep playing friendlies in the US ?

Money might be a reason but wouldn't it better to have them rotate games around Mexican stadiums ?

A couple quick postgame quotes from Roger Bennett:
Jurgen on 12 game win streak: "We enjoy the moment but we know the next game is always the most difficult. Now I would like to make it 13"

Edin Dzeko suggests Bosnia's first half substitutions changed the game but admits US outplayed his team in the second 45

Jurgen on Jozy; He is going through a maturing process... He has always had a scoring instinct but now he understands his role on this team

Klinsmann on John Brooks: "He's 20 years of age and this was his first cap but he looked like he has been with us for 9 or 10 years"

Klinsmann on Aron Johannson: "his presence and way he created chances showed us we were right to fight to bring him over to the US" #usmnt

Last Jurgen quote: We have guys like Bradley, Howard (pause) and Altidore who have the leadership to give us the confidence to play OUR game

Why does Mexico keep playing friendlies in the US ?

Money might be a reason but wouldn't it better to have them rotate games around Mexican stadiums ?
AFAIK, it's a money issue. The US Fed typically gets a cut via SUM or whoever, so it's not all bad news on our end.

- The Shin Guardian: USA 4 – Bosnia 3: Quick & Dirty Take Tactical Review

EDIT:
- American Soccer Now: Aron Johannsson Talks About His U.S. Debut

all well and good but how come Mexico national team fans in Mexico put up with it ?

wouldn't they rather see their stars in their home country ?
I don't know. I'd assume they're not happy about it. It's an interesting question in the end - would you be willing to give up friendlies on US soil for the USMNT if they were to be played in front of pro-US crowds in Mexico and the federation was going to make a ton of money off of it?

Clydefrog

During my short commute to work today I tuned my radio to one of the local AM radio sports shows. I caught them beginning a segment about US Soccer! The host started it off with “now I said I wouldn’t spend hours on this so I won’t but…” and he mentions the US win over Bosnia yesterday. He plays the audio commentary from Jozy’s three goals and says, “this is America’s problem. We’ve never had a Lebron or a Beckham in soccer. Jozy might be it though.” I was thinking oh god don’t do this to Jozy… not now.

Then he proceeds to take ONE call from a listener. The listener says “soccer is fine but it needs a few changes… one being that it needs a shot clock.” And the fucking radio host agreed with him. Then the host continues with “plus, it’s too complicated! There are so many cups… Confederations Cup, League Cup, Apple Cup, Premier League, Copenhagen Cup… I just know the World Cup and what I had in my cup last night! Americans are too busy for all of this! We work all the time in this country; we don’t take 4 hour lunches and smoke cigarettes underhand.” What the hell?! Then that was it! He went back to talking about the Dodgers… IGNORAMUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom