• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

Had no idea until today that this wasn't going to be at Saprissa. Costa Rica fucked up with that running track around the field.

- Keith Olbermann Opens His Show With Costa Rica Trolling
Jason Davis said:
First, this is definitely the first sign of the apocalypse and you should probably be throwing underwear and hand guns in a bag right now in preparation for the end times. Second, Keith Olbermann opened his show on Thursday night with Costa Rica’s anti-USA troll job. Nothing like a rude welcome to rile up ol’ Keith. One question, though: Did anyone vet Keith’s copy? “Soccer war” is a totally different thing, Keith. And it was an actual war. Maybe use a different phrase.

how does the USSF allow this shit to happen? So fucking stupid
Off the US Soccer FAQ:
The television rights to each World Cup qualifying match are initially the property of the host country. In this case, Traffic Sports acquired the television rights for the match – in both English and Spanish . U.S. Soccer and its broadcast partners had discussions with Traffic Sports to purchase the rights, but in the end Traffic Sports opted to sell the match to beIN SPORT.

beIN SPORT is available on Direct TV, Dish Network, a specific package on Xfinity TV by Comcast (in Spanish on the Xfinity TV MultiLatino Package and in English on the Xfinity TV Sports Entertainment Package), Time Warner’s TWC TV, Verizon FiOS and Bright House Networks BHTV app.

Since each country is responsible for the sale of the broadcast rights to its home matches, U.S. Soccer has no authority to compel the host Federation to sell the rights to a World Cup Qualifier to a specific broadcaster in the United States. Ultimately, the rights holder makes the final decision on whether they will sell the rights to a broadcaster in the United States.

U.S. Soccer controls the rights only to World Cup Qualifying matches played in the United States and we have partnered with ESPN to televise all of those matches.

- Jeff Carlisle on tonight's match: New venue, new hope
- Jeff Carlisle and Bob Ley talk US v Costa Rica (video)

- Paul Carr with stats and numbers on US v Costa Rica: Streaks, World Cup on the line for U.S. in Costa Rica
ESPN’s Soccer Power Index says that there is a 2.1 percent chance of the United States securing a World Cup berth tonight. To do so, the U.S. needs a win (29.0 percent chance), a Mexico-Honduras draw (20.6 percent) and a Jamaica win or draw in Panama (34.4 percent).

Playing at home, Costa Rica is a 43.0 percent favorite to beat the U.S., and SPI says there is a 28.0 percent chance of a draw.

SPI currently gives the U.S. 99.9 percent odds to reach Brazil, and those numbers don’t change much, regardless of tonight’s results. Independent of other outcomes, an American win improves the chances to 99.99 percent; a draw ups them to 99.94 percent; and a loss dips the odds to 99.7 percent.

The U.S. has 13 points entering the Costa Rica match, and 16 points has historically been the magic number to reach. Of the previous 12 teams to get 16 or more points in the CONCACAF final round, 11 of them qualified for the World Cup. The sole exception was the 2010 Costa Rica side, which lost to Uruguay in a playoff.

As for the rest of the region, Costa Rica has 11 points and is a 95.2 percent favorite to qualify for the World Cup. Mexico (eight points) is third in SPI’s simulations at 87.6 percent, followed by Honduras (seven points, 65.7 percent), Panama (six points, 22.3 percent) and Jamaica (two points, 0.4 percent).

Meier

I've never even heard of the beIN channel.

It's Qatari-owned (official name is beIN Sport). Al-Jazeera started it in France after QIA purchased Paris St. Germain and it came to the US last year before the start of the season. They have the rights to Ligue 1 and La Liga in the US. The presentation is really, really good but it's a part of the sports package for TWC and I don't get it any longer so I only catch it here and there.

andycapps

It's Qatari-owned (official name is beIN Sport). Al-Jazeera started it in France after QIA purchased Paris St. Germain and it came to the US last year before the start of the season. They have the rights to Ligue 1 and La Liga in the US. The presentation is really, really good but it's a part of the sports package for TWC and I don't get it any longer so I only catch it here and there.

I'm with Uverse, and they don't have it on any packages. If I want to watch the match, I will have to look into other, not legal means. Sucks that the rules are what they are about television. I don't see why they can't just allow each country participating in the match to handle television rights for their country.

so any updates on jozy??
Apparently he had his cleats on for training last night, but I haven't heard anything more than that (whether he did the full practice, etc...) Some people are speculating that he'll start while others are saying they'll save him for Tuesday since he hasn't trained in a week.

Meier

I hope he doesn't start and preferably doesn't play in general. The pitch will suck and they will target him the entire time. Rather he be healthy for next week.

If it's 0-0 after 80 minutes, give him a run out otherwise rest him.

shoplifter

We've *never* won a qualifier in CR. That said, this is probably our best opportunity seeing as we have a squad on good form and aren't playing at Saprissa.

It's a road game in CONCACAF, Costa Rica are playing well these days, and we've never won there. We're not the favorite.

And I bet they are also bitter we made them play in snow, so they'll play with more conviction. We're on a 12 game winning streak and Id'e hate to see it end in Costa Rica.

And I bet they are also bitter we made them play in snow, so they'll play with more conviction.
Yup. Keep in mind that the win streak is mostly home games and friendlies. The US is playing well, but this is a big test.

Like shoplifter said, this is our best chance in a while, but it's still going to be a fight. I'd be fine with a draw provided we play well.

xbhaskarx

how does the USSF allow this shit to happen? So fucking stupid

As has been explained fifty times here and elsewhere, the USSF doesn't make that decision, the other countries own the rights to away games. Those other federations sold the rights to Traffic Sports when none of ESPN/NBC/etc. bid on it. When beIN started, they bought those rights them. Blame those other channels for not bidding. And thank beIN for buying the rights, because the other option would be an awful foreign feed that looks like you're watching through vaseline, on Pay Per View (like the qualifier against Guatemala last year).

I'm with Uverse, and they don't have it on any packages.

Apparently as of today beIN is on AT&T Uverse, 3319 and 3119.

andycapps

As has been explained fifty times here and elsewhere, the USSF doesn't make that decision, the other countries own the rights to away games. Those other federations sold the rights to Traffic Sports when none of ESPN/NBC/etc. bid on it. When beIN started, they bought those rights them. Blame those other channels for not bidding. And thank beIN for buying the rights, because the other option would be an awful foreign feed that looks like you're watching through vaseline, on Pay Per View (like the qualifier against Guatemala last year).

I'll have to see if I get that or not. I have U200.

Might be the following channels, actually:

662 - beIN Sport

663 - beIN Sport - Spanish

1662 - beIN Sport HD

1663 - beIN Sport - Spanish HD

hom3land

As a Carolina Railhawks fan... I guess Traffic sports can do no wrong for local and national team!

ZZMitch

I doubt I will find somewhere to watch it unfortunately. I go to school in Toronto, don't think many sports bars will show this game.

Toothpick

I didn't realize the odds were against the US for today's match. I'll be watching this one and Mex v Hon. So excited for the big US v Mex match.

USA, All the way!

If you don't get the channel, you can probably use google to find a stream online.
you just have to search the right thing (;

Subitai

I have access to BeIN through the Dish sports package. I don't know if I'll cave or not, but I was thinking about it anyway for B1G Network and NFL Network.

Is it possible to lend somone your FIOS or DISH log in so they could stream the game from the website? If so, anybody wanna help a brother out? I really don't understand why Optimum is always the last to get channels but it's annoying.

Slizz

He's gonna dribble the ball, dribble the ball,and lose it. Maybe three times. Maybe 4.

So will Welbeck for England >.<

EDIT: Alternate response could have been:

'So would Alitodore up until these last 6 months, with the exception of him just giving up instead of giving the ball away'

CobbFC09

Ives Galarcep &#8207;@SoccerByIves
UH OH. Michael Bradley looks to be limping off the field after warm-ups. #USMNT

Hope it's nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom