• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow is going to be a nervy game, that's for sure.
There's so much up in the air right now - the game is going to be even more tense than usual. We don't have a good idea who's starting for either team, if Mexico loses they're fighting for 4th place, the US is banged up after the Costa Rica match, etc...

Wow you can clearly see the linesman point him out, even though you can also clearly see the linesman wasn't watching when the guy went down. We need officials who can card officials.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Someone needs to .gif it and pass it around the internets. It’s ridiculous

Not my best gif, but it's got the bullshit.

bullshit03puk.gif

NoRéN

4 years later and US gets the same result against Costa Rica. Concedes 3 and their only goal from a penalty.

Hopefully they can beat a Mexico team that's doing even worse tomorrow.

- U.S. looks to extend home dominance vs. Mexico
• The United States has never lost in nine games at Columbus Crew Stadium, going 6-0-3 and outscoring opponents 13-1 there. That includes three consecutive qualifying wins against Mexico, all by identical 2-0 scores.

The U.S. is undefeated in six straight home qualifiers against Mexico, last losing in 1972, and the Americans are riding a 25-match home unbeaten streak in qualifying, since a 3-2 loss to Honduras at RFK Stadium in 2001.

• The U.S. will clinch a World Cup berth with a win and a Panama loss or draw in Honduras. A U.S. win or draw will guarantee a top-four finish in the final round and no worse than a playoff against New Zealand for a World Cup berth.

ESPN’s Soccer Power Index says there is a 58.5 percent chance of the United States qualifying on Tuesday. The U.S. has a 66.1 percent chance of winning, and Honduras has 88.5 percent hopes of beating or drawing Panama. SPI currently has the United States at 99.9 percent to qualify for the World Cup.

• Michael Bradley, who scored both goals a 2-0 U.S. win over Mexico in Columbus four years ago, will miss the game with a sprained ankle. During Jurgen Klinsmann’s tenure, the United States has lost twice in 19 games that Bradley has started (to Brazil and at Honduras), compared to seven losses in 20 games when he does not. In the final round, Bradley leads the team with 76 passes completed in the attacking-third, at a team-high completion rate of 73.1 percent.

• Regardless of Tuesday’s outcome, Mexico will still control its own destiny for a top-four spot over the final two games of qualifying, with a home game against Panama looming on Oct. 11. But a win versus the U.S. would make qualifying more likely, improving Mexico’s SPI odds of reaching the World Cup from 70.4 percent to 88.0 percent. Even a draw would be helpful, bumping the odds to 74.8 percent. A loss would dip Mexico’s chances to 65.6 percent.

• Mexico’s qualifying issues have been a result of shockingly poor results at home. In four final-round matches at Estadio Azteca, Mexico has gone winless, scoring one goal and dropping nine points. In the previous four final rounds, Mexico dropped a total of seven points at home and scored no fewer than 12 home goals in the final round.

xbhaskarx

If that's supposed to be a right back, shouldn't they have done
Cherundolo instead of Stewart
?
That does look like
Wynalda
but who would put him in the best 11 over
Dempsey
?

God, the whole Besler thing has me so annoyed.

So hard to enjoy soccer when this kind of bullshit is so rampant. The sport is completely backwards in so many ways.

hom3land

Man fuck night classes. Tonight's game... And patriots vs jets on Thursday. I'm too weak willed to dvr and watch late. hope to be seeing positive updates tonight!

Am I the only one freaking out over tonight? Bradley out has me super concerned.

I'm not expecting a win, personally. Mexico will come out amped, and their plant ref from the Costa Rica game took out another critical player of ours. Considering the other people we're missing, it's not looking good.

I'm joking about the plant ref

kinda

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Am I the only one freaking out over tonight? Bradley out has me super concerned.

They've had time to plan around him not being there this time so we won't look as shaky as we did against Costa Rica. I am a little worried, but they'll need to be able to win without him.

I have no idea what to expect tonight - so many injuries/suspension issues, Mexico has a new coach, etc... Normally I'll either feel pessimistic or optimistic about the US' chances, but who knows what the lineups and the game are going to look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom