• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, he seems like a great person. I saw a documentary type thing about him awhile back, found out he has Tourette's syndrome. Not to make light of his problems, but every time he's yelling at the defense to get their shit right I imagine him cursing non-stop and scaring the opposing team. :lol

NoRéN

sw33tclyde said:
Yeah, he seems like a great person. I saw a documentary type thing about him awhile back, found out he has Tourette's syndrome. Not to make light of his problems, but every time he's yelling at the defense to get their shit right I imagine him cursing non-stop and scaring the opposing team. :lol
When he played for United, it was a big deal. We've obviously seen how the tabloids can be, so they were very merciless when they found out they were getting a keeper with tourettes. The United fans weren't any better.

Daigoro

sw33tclyde said:

i dont think he actually has the cursing non stop thing going on. you can see that he was some facial tics and odd movements at some points though.

the guy is top class for sure. such a great keeper.

NoRéN

Daigoro said:
i dont think he actually has the cursing non stop thing going on. you can see that he was some facial tics and odd movements at some points though.

He talks to himself during games. i know that much. But, then again, with our defenders, I'd be talking to myself too. Nothing but more of encouragement.

Daigoro said:

Yeah I've heard from commentators that he uses 'mental exercises' to control it for the most part. I was just kidding about the cursing, Tourettes Guy has ruined me. :x

And fuck the tabloid cunts/fans in England.

NoRéN

sw33tclyde said:
Yeah I've heard from commentators that he uses 'mental exercises' to control it for the most part. I was just kidding about the cursing, Tourettes Guy has ruined me. :x

And fuck the tabloid cunts/fans in England.
I have a business acquaintance in Manchester. Cool dude. But, one day we're talking football. Somehow, I mention everton and how great they are with Howard and even better with Landon on loan. He responded with something along the lines of Howard, oh, the yank we had for a while. Never understood why Sir Alex would ever hire a r****d. His friends all agreed. *smh*

NoRéN said:
I have a business acquaintance in Manchester. Cool dude. But, one day we're talking football. Somehow, I mention everton and how great they are with Howard and even better with Landon on loan. He responded with something along the lines of Howard, oh, the yank we had for a while. Never understood why Sir Alex would ever hire a r****d. His friends all agreed. *smh*

. . .

smh indeed sir

Ever see the football episode of The IT Crowd? If not, it basically says all Englishmen who are football fans are glorious cunts(the ones the IT boys meet are bank robbers). Great show if you haven't seen it, aside from the constant laughing from the audience.

NoRéN

sw33tclyde said:
. . .

smh indeed sir

Ever see the football episode of The IT Crowd? If not, it basically says all Englishmen who are football fans are glorious cunts(the ones the IT boys meet are bank robbers). Great show if you haven't seen it, aside from the constant laughing from the audience.
:lol yeah, seen it!
...glorious cunts. :lol

daoster

Howard: Talk is Cheap

Tim Howard said:
IRENE, South Africa -- Tim Howard thought about Andrej Komac's prediction of victory for Slovenia and chuckled.

"I think talk is cheap," the American goalkeeper said Wednesday. "He's got to stand toe to toe. And they've got to stand toe to toe with us for 90 minutes. And if he's still standing, then I'll take my hat off to him. But a lot of boxers talk, too, and they're looking up at the lights. And the next thing they know, they're trying to figure out how they got there."

Freaking Alexi Lalas..."don't change anything Bradley! Actually, change Findley, Bradley!"

It's okay Alexi, we still love you...as a player, not as an analyst.

What's the lineup you guys want to see for Friday?

NoRéN

daoster said:
Howard: Talk is Cheap

Freaking Alexi Lalas..."don't change anything Bradley! Actually, change Findley, Bradley!"

It's okay Alexi, we still love you...as a player, not as an analyst.

What's the lineup you guys want to see for Friday?
he's right. i don't get the Findley hate. His speed had England on their heels.
As far as Lalas as an analyst, name me someone else who called the game even remotely close to what the result was. Like him or not, he knows american soccer, just like coach bradley. That's what we need right now and we're lucky to have it.
Now, have Buddle or Gomez come in sooner for Findley in the 2nd, that's a different story.

NoRéN

The Daily Show's John Stewart talks US v. England

bevu9t.jpg

USA-England: Cold War!

Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert explores the strained relations between America and England stemming from the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and Robert Green's spill in the platinum mining region of South Africa:

2afweog.jpg

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
late, but im just getting back into the swing of things.

watched the usa england game at the bonnaroo music festival, the crowd was absolutely incredible.

here's a video from when USA scored: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4B2lMqhzU4

such a great moment, would've made the festival for me alone, but there were plenty of great, more music related moments to go along with it :)

NoRéN

sefskillz said:
late, but im just getting back into the swing of things.

watched the usa england game at the bonnaroo music festival, the crowd was absolutely incredible.

here's a video from when USA scored: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4B2lMqhzU4

such a great moment, would've made the festival for me alone, but there were plenty of great, more music related moments to go along with it :)
Great video! well, hopefully you stick around and the US can play some great football.

Daigoro said:
good man. i cant believe some of my pals are going to be at work on Friday.

shameful!

Yeah, I appear to be the only one with the day off, so I'll probably watch it alone... of course that won't keep me from drinking.

Brashnir

woodchuck said:
Bocanegra, Gooch, Demerit, Cherundolo
Dempsey, Torres, Bradley, Donovan
Altidore, Findley

I'm alright with that lineup, but I'd go a bit of a different way. My reasoning:

1)Slovenia is known to be a very solid and organized defensive squad with a defend-first mentality. The US has had a great deal of trouble breaking down these kinds of teams in the past. Findley's speed is mainly an asset if we're the ones sitting back and defending. I don't think he's going to get behind a team that's already sitting back. In his place, I'd consider starting either Buddle, for his size on set pieces, or Gomez - who has a knack for finding space in the box and cleaning up trash. However, I don't think I start either one, because...

2)I think Torres and his passing ability could definitely be an asset against this kind of opponent, but I'd also like to find a way to get Holden onto the field. If we're going to score I think set pieces may be our best chances, and Holden is our best dead-ball striker.

With that in mind, I think I'd go with the following:

Dolo-Demerit-Onyewu-Boca
Holden-Bradley-Torres-Donovan
Altidore-Dempsey

Daigoro

i dont like Dempsey up top, and Buddle is in form. the guys cant stop scoring. not sure why people would leave him out of the line up.

Holden has been great in the warm ups though. wouldn't mind seeing him on at some point.

Brashnir

Daigoro said:
i dont like Dempsey up top, and Buddle is in form. the guys cant stop scoring. not sure why people would leave him out of the line up.

Holden has been great in the warm ups though. wouldn't mind seeing him on at some point.

I don't often like Dempsey up top either, but this seems like a game where it might be appropriate. Buddle's an option too - who do you take off to get him in the lineup?

UltimaPooh said:
Yeah, I appear to be the only one with the day off, so I'll probably watch it alone... of course that won't keep me from drinking.

Good man. 9:30 is prime drinking time really, nothing like a good day drunk.

Daigoro

Brashnir said:
I don't often like Dempsey up top either, but this seems like a game where it might be appropriate. Buddle's an option too - who do you take off to get him in the lineup?

i posted my formation above. if Holden were to play he'd have to be swapped out for Torres. no other choice if we are to play two forwards.

id guess Bob would only maybe swap out Clark and/or Findley.

i wouldn't be surprised if we went with the same exact line up as we did against England though, with maybe one player switched out. my guess is he swaps one player if any at all. some great options off of the bench though. not that he'll ever get around to making any subs. :lol

we'll see.

Brashnir

Daigoro said:
i posted my formation above. if Holden were to play he'd have to be swapped out for Torres. no other choice if we are to play two forwards.

id guess Bob would only maybe swap out Clark and/or Findley.

i wouldn't be surprised if we went with the same exact line up as we did against England though
, with maybe one player switched out. my guess is he swaps one player if any at all. some great options off of the bench though. not that he'll ever get around to making any subs. :lol

we'll see.

While it wouldn't surprise me if that happened, I think it would be a mistake.

As much as I'd like it to be true, we're not talented enough to just throw out our "best 11" every game and expect to beat people. I think players like Findley should be on the roster to fill a specific role, and if that role isn't needed against an opponent, I think it's best to go another way. We brought 23 players for a reason (I hope).

I think Buddle for Findley is a solid choice, as is Gomez for Findley. I think both offer more against this particular opponent.

NoRéN

Dempsey celebrates goals with happiness, sadness

However, no celebration at the World Cup carries as much significance to its performer as to Dempsey, who religiously signals to the heavens and utters a few words under his breath every time he scores a goal.

Television viewers might have been puzzled by the little ceremony he performed after his tame long-range effort slipped past Robert Green during Saturday’s 1-1 draw with England in Rustenburg. The reason is to pay tribute to his late sister Jennifer, who died of a brain aneurism at the age of 16 in 1995, a tragedy Dempsey carries with him to this day.

213q982.gif

Daigoro

Brashnir said:
While it wouldn't surprise me if that happened, I think it would be a mistake.

As much as I'd like it to be true, we're not talented enough to just throw out our "best 11" every game and expect to beat people. I think players like Findley should be on the roster to fill a specific role, and if that role isn't needed against an opponent, I think it's best to go another way. We brought 23 players for a reason (I hope).

I think Buddle for Findley is a solid choice, as is Gomez for Findley. I think both offer more against this particular opponent.

i completely agree. Bob is a cautious dude though. but hopefully not to a fault.

my faith in him has been growing over the last few years. hopefully he will not disappoint in this tournament.

its do or die time.

Druz

UltimaPooh said:
Only true red blooded Americans get U.S. flags in their names.
Awww cmon... the US was partially built on the backs of poor irish immigrants right? I qualify a little.

A little.

Slizz

In order to advance to the later rounds in the World Cup a country has to win. That what we need to do tomorrow, no tie.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Slizz said:
In order to advance to the later rounds in the World Cup a country has to win. That what we need to do tomorrow, no tie.

Losing will pretty much eliminate the US. With a Draw, you have to beat Algeria by 2 most likely to advance. (Slovenia and England would be at 4, so a win puts the US at 5, ENG-SLV draw would put them both at 5, so it would come down to how bad you hammered Algeria)

I won't whine if it ends up 1-1. I'm worried about this game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn I wish this was on tonight (no I don't care what time that is Africa Time) or Saturday. Would love to watch it with friends but I guess co-workers will have to do.

Crisis

Banned
Guys I haven't managed to see Slovenia play yet. I know they're a lot like the US team, so what're our chances against them?

Clydefrog

Tomorrow morning, my alarm will wake me up at 6:00 to catch the end of the Germany - Serbia game. I will groggily head to the couch, situate some pillows and a blanket, turn on the TV, and watch with one eye open. Once that game is over and the USA coverage begins, I will grab a banana from the kitchen and eat it. I will look inside the fridge and be angry at my rotten strawberries; why did I waste them? Why am I still keeping them if they're rotten?

Upon kickoff of the USA game, I will have returned to my usual sleep-position on the couch. My stomach will feel a little weird from the banana. Bananas always do that to me. The discomfort goes away pretty quickly though. However, once USA scores, the blanket that covers me will come flying off due to my massive, instant erection. My boxers will disintegrate while I masturbate furiously until I finish red, white, and blue.

so, I guess I'm predicting a 1-0 score for USA :)

Who scores? Donovan in the 64th minute.

I'll be able to watch the first 30 minutes but will have to avoid all human contact for the remaining hour or so as I'll be out of the office. Thankfully most people that will be around won't care about soccer so that will probably allow me to get back to the office and watch the replay on espn3.com during lunch.

kingkitty

Damn I'll be missing a good chunk of the US Slovenia game, maybe even all of it.

But hopefully the Americans will pull through, they got the ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom