• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oozer3993

captmcblack said:
9:30am?

I'm putting it on the radio while I'm in the office. No TV, no problem!

Ditto. My Dad has a meeting at 10 tomorrow and he's going to try to avoid seeing the score until the replay on ESPN Classic at 8PM. I have already wished him well.

cashman

Banned
I'll have to find some way of sneaking headphones on in summer school tomorrow. THat was seriously the worst decision of my life.

Clydefrog

The game ends around 8:50-8:55 AM my time, so it'll be perfect to leave right after the game for my 10 minute commute to work. I'll either be singing in the car or cutting people off. Either way though I'll probably be unproductive at work.

Heretic

Clydefrog said:
The game ends around 8:50-8:55 AM my time, so it'll be perfect to leave right after the game for my 10 minute commute to work. I'll either be singing in the car or cutting people off. Either way though I'll probably be unproductive at work.

Are you in the Los Angeles area by any chance? Told my work I'd be in around 10 =) used up two of my vacation hours to catch things game.

daoster

Looks like the predictions of Torres coming in were correct!

USSoccer Twitter said:
#USMNT Lineup: Howard; Cherundolo, DeMerit, Onyewu, Bocanegra (C); Dempsey, Bradley, Torres, Donovan; Altidore, Findley.

Altidore scores in the 70th minute, followed by Dempsey again in the 74th. America wins 2-1, freedom prevails.

GET BIG, USA.

AMERICA - FUCK YEAH

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The way im basically hoping it goes is that you guys beat Algeria and Slovenia, just by slightly fewer goals than we do so we go on top :lol

Slizz

Cheers friends. Got my gin and juice already. I nearly broke the laptop I am typing on, the phone I used to yell with my friends, the TV I was watching the game on....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
NoRéN said:
That ref can go fuck himself.

Hell of a game Slovenia.
i know a lot of teams use players from other countries but imo it's pretty cheap to have a dude from MALI of all places on slovenia. fifa shouldn't allow that. oh well good riddance to that team when they lose to england next match

NoRéN

AstroLad said:
i know a lot of teams use players from other countries but imo it's pretty cheap to have a dude from MALI of all places on slovenia. fifa shouldn't allow that. oh well good riddance to that team when they lose to england next match
Seriously. The fuck is the point of bringing in these 2nd rate refs. Where's Massimo Bussaca? Even that mexican ref with the widow's peak would have given us better calls.

Amazing how we went from deserving the loss, to deserving the tie, to deserving the win in the pace of 45 minutes.

Really disappointed, but still relieved that we picked it up in the second half to stay in contention for leaving group.

daoster

Once again, our destiny is no longer in our fucking hands.

I don't see much positives now....sure our midfield...and our strikers are doing okay...

BUT defense man...defense.

I'm probably overreacting, but Jesus. Sure that ref decision was a stupid ass one, but it won't wash the disgust of that first half (and some performances in the second half too).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was watching the match with my brother and co-workers and we were saying very early on how the ref was constantly whistling US set plays. There was that one really bad one where a US guy got wrestled down (before the really really bad one) and after that we said a US would get a goal disallowed b/c of a phantom "foul" like that. Lo and behold. That said, I'm really glad it happened on the go-ahead rather than the equalizer, b/c it would have been even more heartbreaking on the equalizer.

US control their own destiny (win by 2 go through), so you can't really ask for much more. And with GER losing 1st and 2nd don't really mean shit b/c who knows what's going to happen in either group.

I experienced both the happiest and saddest moments of my life in a span of two minutes. That was the biggest bullshit call I've ever seen.

Slizz

daoster said:
Once again, our destiny is no longer in our fucking hands.

I don't see much positives now....sure our midfield...and our strikers are doing okay...

BUT defense man...defense.

I'm probably overreacting, but Jesus. Sure that ref decision was a stupid ass one, but it won't wash the disgust of that first half (and some performances in the second half too).
If all we have to worry about is goal differential its ok with me. England wins both its game and we win our last we advance. England loses then beats SLV we go on. England ties then loses to SLV we get through, England ties today and ties with SLV we go on.

We need to win big +2 goal on Algeria, and I am confident we can do that after our show of resiliency today and confidence.

steal edit: If this was 06, we woulda lost by 3, but our team showed up and played good ball the second half.

NoRéN

AstroLad said:
I was watching the match with my brother and co-workers and we were saying very early on how the ref was constantly whistling US set plays. There was that one really bad one where a US guy got wrestled down (before the really really bad one) and after that we said a US would get a goal disallowed b/c of a phantom "foul" like that. Lo and behold. That said, I'm really glad it happened on the go-ahead rather than the equalizer, b/c it would have been even more heartbreaking on the equalizer.

US control their own destiny (win by 2 go through), so you can't really ask for much more. And with GER losing 1st and 2nd don't really mean shit b/c who knows what's going to happen in either group.
Yup. Hey, we may even face Ghana again.

daoster

Slizz said:
If all we have to worry about is goal differential its ok with me. England wins both its game and we win our last we advance. England loses then beats SLV we go on. England ties then loses to SLV we get through, England ties today and ties with SLV we go on.

We need to win big +2 goal on Algeria, and I am confident we can do that after our show of resiliency today and confidence.

steal edit: If this was 06, we woulda lost by 3, but our team showed up and played good ball the second half.

Are you still confident that we'd get +2 goals while watching this Algeria-England game?

Tim Howard says when we get punched in the face, we punch back harder...that's the completely wrong attitude, we should come out punching and never get hit...or whatever.

If Algeria is giving England this hell of a time (even if they do win), how confident are you that we will be able to run over Algeria?

Algeria haven't shown any sort of skill in finishing, unlike Slovenia. They are looking to be very sound in the back though. Will certainly be an interesting match Wednesday.

Dresden

daoster said:
Are you still confident that we'd get +2 goals while watching this Algeria-England game?

Tim Howard says when we get punched in the face, we punch back harder...that's the completely wrong attitude, we should come out punching and never get hit...or whatever.

If Algeria is giving England this hell of a time (even if they do win), how confident are you that we will be able to run over Algeria?
England is looking terrible right now, you're giving Algeria way too much credit.

daoster

sw33tclyde said:
Algeria haven't shown any sort of skill in finishing, unlike Slovenia. They are looking to be very sound in the back though. Will certainly be an interesting match Wednesday.

Slovenia didn't really show any skill either on the game against Algeria...to be honest.

Either way, it'll be a tough game for us on Wed, and we need to really stay FOCUSED.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
daoster said:

Honestly, after seeing this game, I'm not, except that they seem a little undisciplined.

If this result holds, US can get in with a draw, if ENG draws or loses to SLV.

daoster said:
Slovenia didn't really show any skill either on the game against Algeria...to be honest.

Either way, it'll be a tough game for us on Wed, and we need to really stay FOCUSED.

I agree, but the fact still stands that Algeria has yet to score in this WC. Let's hope we can hold them to this.

NoRéN

daoster said:

What's wrong witht that? it's a great attitude. triumph over adversity. Howard did not say that the US is going out to fall behind early on. Just that we are finally looking at a squad that can get there act together should they fall from behind. This is light years from where US soccer was just one world cup ago. Same thing has been done in away qualifiers.
It's a shame that this has been the case twice already in this world cup. But, it's a great thing. If Howard was not right about that assessment, Slovenia would have kept that 2 goal lead.

sw33tclyde said:
I agree, but the fact still stands that Algeria has yet to score in this WC. Let's hope we can hold them to this.
Sure do hope so.

That England/Algeria game was just embarrassing.

What's our story now?

Slovenia 4 pts
USA 2 pts
England 2 pts
Algeria 1 pts

So if both us and England win our games, we'll both advance.

If we both tie, it comes to GD...(which would be 0) --so we go to total goals for, which means we likely advance (we have 3 so far, England has 1).

We win, England loses, we move on with Slovenia

The only scenario where we definitely don't advance is England wins and we lose.

This is looking pretty alright--but maybe I'm all wrong on this breakdown?

Edit: Shit, forgot the scenario where England wins and we tie. That case England and Slovenia advance. Damn.

NoRéN

Sounds about right. Can't believe everyone is still alive in the group. Here's to a great 3rd game performance at the expense of Algeria.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
SnakeswithLasers said:
That England/Algeria game was just embarrassing.

What's our story now?

Slovenia 4 pts
USA 2 pts
England 2 pts
Algeria 1 pts

So if both us and England win our games, we'll both advance.

If we both tie, it comes to GD...(which would be 0) --so we go to total goals for, which means we likely advance (we have 3 so far, England has 1).

We win, England loses, we move on with Slovenia

The only scenario where we definitely don't advance is England wins and we lose.

This is looking pretty alright--but maybe I'm all wrong on this breakdown?

Edit: Shit, forgot the scenario where England wins and we tie. That case England and Slovenia advance. Damn.

It's really more simple. Just win and everything will take care of itself.

Subitai

So I thought the final substitution of Gomez was really good and made that tough 2nd goal easier

I'm sorry Torres didn't work out earlier, but the team didn't have a feel for making the most of his skills. He almost stole a goal again in the 1st half.

Who's gonna go info for Findley in the next game?

Subitai said:
So I thought the final substitution of Gomez was really good and made that tough 2nd goal easier

I'm sorry Torres didn't work out earlier, but the team didn't have a feel for making the most of his skills. He almost stole a goal again in the 1st half.

Who's gonna go info for Findley in the next game?

Edson Buddle should take Findley's spot, I've always felt he should start, and when Findley got his yellow I got an EDSON BUDDLE chant started at the bar I was at

NoRéN

SnakeswithLasers said:
Crazy. I mean, nobody is mathematically eliminated OR guaranteed a spot.
Of course, we should not ignore the fact that it is still very possible that both England and US can be knocked out.

Anyone else checking out the meltdowns over on the WC thread?
:lol

Clydefrog

What a crazy game. Fuck that ref. Hard.
It was a good comeback but it should have been a great win. If that third goal counted, it would've been almost identical to how Brazil beat us last year. and guess what? Today we played in the same stadium where Brazil beats us last year. Talk about a morale boost had we won....

We must take care of things against Algeria. We MUST!

daoster

NoRéN said:
What's wrong witht that? it's a great attitude. triumph over adversity. Howard did not say that the US is going out to fall behind early on. Just that we are finally looking at a squad that can get there act together should they fall from behind. This is light years from where US soccer was just one world cup ago. Same thing has been done in away qualifiers.
It's a shame that this has been the case twice already in this world cup. But, it's a great thing. If Howard was not right about that assessment, Slovenia would have kept that 2 goal lead.

Sorry, wrong attitude is the wrong word to say. Rather, I want to see a better attitude.

We should be coming out strong, hitting them hard, and never looking back. Like against Spain in 2009. Waiting to get "punched" before we finally punch back is playing with fire.

It's a scary thought that we haven't been able to keep a clean sheet in a World Cup match since that historical 1-0 win against England in the 1950 World Cup (of course, we weren't in the World Cups between 1950 and 1990, so....) For the last 12 games, we also haven't been able to keep a clean sheet. People say that Algeria haven't scored a goal yet, and yet I wouldn't be surprised if they snuck one around our backline within the first 20 minutes of our encounter.

The fact that we're able to come from behind now and at least draw the game is a testament to Bob Bradley's managerial skills, but we got lucky with England, and unlucky with Slovenia...but Algeria is a must win game, one that we can't let it depend on luck. We need to finish them and never look back.

More importantly Germany/Serbia/Ghana certainly won't be forgiving if they're up by two.

Despite starting slow today and not being able to pull out a win (thanks ref!), I'm extremely proud of our team so far. This is a far cry from WC 2006 where they just seemed to tank right from the start. As long as we can finally settle on a mid field and someone to compliment Altidore (Buddle and Gomez...your turn!), I think we'll make it on through to the next round and maybe to the Quarterfinals again.

...oh, and please someone step up to an unmarked midfielder when they are about to launch a shot from 25m out! Flashes of the Czech goal from 2006 and the first Mexican goal at Azteca this past qualifying round danced in my head when that Slovenian dude cranked one.

Clydefrog

Gamecocks625 said:
...oh, and please someone step up to an unmarked midfielder when they are about to launch a shot from 25m out! Flashes of the Czech goal from 2006 and the first Mexican goal at Azteca this past qualifying round danced in my head when that Slovenian dude cranked one.

I literally screamed "NO!" when he got the ball and no one was going towards him... then I threw my pillow.

Slizz

Gamecocks625 said:
Despite starting slow today and not being able to pull out a win (thanks ref!), I'm extremely proud of our team so far. This is a far cry from WC 2006 where they just seemed to tank right from the start. As long as we can finally settle on a mid field and someone to compliment Altidore (Buddle and Gomez...your turn!), I think we'll make it on through to the next round and maybe to the Quarterfinals again.

Right on all accounts. If this was 06, I feel like we would have gone down 3-0 for the final. This is a different team and I'm liking the directions we are going in, though Bradley is worrying me sometimes with tactical decisions...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Slizz said:
Right on all accounts. If this was 06, I feel like we would have gone down 3-0 for the final. This is a different team and I'm liking the directions we are going in, though Bradley is worrying me sometimes with tactical decisions...
yep. Findley's inability to play in the next game is a very good thing for us. Either put Dempsey up to or try out Gomez to see how he works from the start.

I just have to say it -- listening to 5 live is very therapeutic after such a heartbreaking robbery by that ref. The English callers are so angry it's hilarious :lol

If we can figure out how to play our second-half soccer in BOTH halves then I don't think Algeria can stop us. But the guys need to get aggressive early and fight for those chances as often as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom