• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruets

gonna be in LA on vacation at the end of july. hadn't seen landon in person since qualifiers for 2002 world cup so picked up myself a ticket to the galaxy vs the earthquake. cant wait to check out home depot center for the first time in person

Mindlog

xbhaskarx said:
Lots of MLS related comments, I wonder if there will be a noticeable increase in attendance post-WC...

I haven't noticed it quite yet :]

Sun 4 July!
Sounders @ Galaxy 1930 PST ESPN Dos

Stuck said:
Thanks for the heads up...I think I will try to catch a match in San Jose when I'm in the area. Any good rivalries or other fun teams to see the Earthquakes play against? How much do MLS tickets usually cost?

Prices are reasonable, and will probably go up when their new stadium is built. The temp place only holds 10,000, so it usually fills up.

QuakesSeatingChart.gif

Rivals would be Chivas USA and LA Galaxy, and maybe Houston (the earthquakes moved to houston, and then the new earthquakes were formed)

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Judderman said:
Is anyone watching the Chicago Fire - Columbus Crew game?

What a crazy 4 minutes to end the half. :lol
it really was wild. i got a kick out of it after the own goal and then crew comes right back down

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to go to my first game. Watching the DC game now. The Earthquakes have been outplaying us. The equalizer was nice though. Najar has some potential.

ATF487

Revs lost 5-0 :lol

I wonder if they have tryouts, I should give it a shot

is a great article. I'm tired of hearing that stupid argument

|
|
V

woodchuck

THANK YOU PATRICK HURBY

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...e/us/lebron-not-save-us-soccer?cc=5901&ver=us

more in the link

It happens every four years, as inevitable as presidential elections and surging public interest in short-track speedskating. The big, bad, rich n' populous United States falters at the World Cup. Meanwhile, skillful foreign mighty-mites from futbol-mad nations the size of Oregon shine.

Sitting at home, adjusting their pre-preseason fantasy football lineups, American sports fans pause to wonder: What if we had LeBron James at striker?

Or Patrick Willis enforcing the back line?

Or Dwight Howard in goal?

What if America cared about the beautiful game as much as every other country on the planet?

If only our best athletes played soccer. We'd kick [expletive]!

So goes the oft-repeated lament for Team USA, one echoed by pundits, sports writers, bloggers, television hosts and talk-radio callers alike. The basic idea works as follows:

Step 1: Have our athletic crème de la crème perform slide tackles and crossover dribbles instead of blindside tackles and, well, the other kind of crossover dribbles.

Step 2: Watch America dominate. Game over, Ghana!

Even Kobe Bryant -- who grew up in Italy wanting to star for Serie A powerhouse AC Milan -- buys into the concept, having once told reporters that "if myself, Tracy McGrady and LeBron James had a soccer ball at our feet instead of a basketball at 2 years old, it could have been something ... the [U.S. team] would have been pretty potent."

Would it?

Really?

Reggie Bush racing along the wing! Chris Paul controlling the midfield! Michael Phelps as wet-weather super-sub! The notion is tantalizing, downright irresistible, in a Dream Team-meets-"The Superstars" sort of way.

It's also spectacularly dumb.

Fact is, fielding a squad of our "best athletes" -- from football, basketball, et al.  wouldn't help America capture its first World Cup any more than sending Bryant to the G20 summit would help us badger other industrialized nations into pumping up deficit spending.

Better television? Probably.

Better soccer? No chance.

xbhaskarx

Soccer favors stamina over brute force. Consistent effort over sporadic outbursts. Do the biomechanical math. According to the Times of London, the average Premier League midfielder runs more than seven miles per match, a 10th of that sprinting speed or close to it. Average recovery time between sprints? All of 40 seconds, with few substitutions and no timeouts. (Modern soccer is also getting faster: According to EPL video analysis, the amount of sprinting doubled during the last decade.) Extra bulk means extra weight to drag around the pitch, with extra energy expended to do so.

As for height? Similar story. Argentina's Lionel Messi is arguably the best soccer player on the planet. At 5-foot-7, he would struggle to see over the top of a Gramatica brother. Same deal for the legendary player Messi is most often compared to, Diego Maradona. And so what? In an adidas ad featuring Kevin Garnett and David Beckham, the otherwise-agile basketball player looks clumsy -- in part because soccer isn't his professional calling, in part because he's simply too tall to excel at a sport played low to the ground. James might be a terrific natural athlete, and a potentially great football tight end, but he'd make a mediocre striker for the same reason he'd get smoked playing cornerback: His center of gravity isn't low enough.

To believe the best-athlete myth is to fundamentally misunderstand American soccer's plight. Athletic ability is not the problem. In fact, it's generally considered a Team USA strength, along with competitive spirit. We can run and jump with the world's best. Compared to their superstar Argentine and Spanish peers, however, our best players lack vision, creativity and technical skill. On-ball magic. Soccer-specific attributes that don't transfer from one sport to the next, that can't be measured with the stopwatches and shuttle cones of a scouting combine. Does being able to hit a major league curveball automatically make you a PGA Tour prospect? The things American soccer needs to improve on come from immersion and exposure, from how you grow up in the sport.

Exactly.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Back from my first MLS game in San Jose. It was fun! Shame SJ couldn't close the door on one of the worst teams in the league, though.

I'll def. go back at least a couple more times this season, but I can't see myself being a regular until they have a new stadium. The tickets are cheap, but I can't justify dropping $50 for the wife and I for bleacher seats.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
It's awesome that people are going out to support their local MLS teams. I plan on going to the next Red Bulls game but I don't know where to sit. I'm deciding between midfield or the supporters section. Suggestions? (It would be my first soccer game, if that matters.)

Judderman said:
It's awesome that people are going out to support their local MLS teams. I plan on going to the next Red Bulls game but I don't know where to sit. I'm deciding between midfield or the supporters section. Suggestions? (It would be my first soccer game, if that matters.)

Supports sections means standing the entire time, being very loud, and possibly having flags in your way. Depending on who you are, this may be very good or very bad.

Cheap seats (well, standing areas), but also the worst place to watch the match, but best energy,

Sitting in the middle gives you a better view of the field, so you can see plays develop better. However, if the match is a stinker (like in any sports, always possible), then the supports section might be more fun because theyll be too drunk to notice.

GDJustin said:
Back from my first MLS game in San Jose. It was fun! Shame SJ couldn't close the door on one of the worst teams in the league, though.

I'll def. go back at least a couple more times this season, but I can't see myself being a regular until they have a new stadium. The tickets are cheap, but I can't justify dropping $50 for the wife and I for bleacher seats.

Definitely one of the weakest stadiums in MLS right now, but if the economy picks up, they will get a stadium (land is all set).

daoster

Guys. This World Cup might have ended early for USA, but at least we can say...Donovan has scored more than Kaka, Ronaldo, Rooney, Messi and very much likely Torres... COMBINED! Hell...Bradley and Dempsey have each scored more than Kaka, Rooney, and Messi comined! :lol :lol :lol

And man...looking at yesterday's Germany game...I really do hope we start emulating the German style of soccer rather than the English style...

Heretic

Gonna records tonight's Galaxy game. I badly want to be there but the family is doing there usual gathering and lighting fireworks. I was thinking about taking a "Thank You, Donovan" sign to the game to show my appreciation. I know it wasn't just him but like it or not, we stayed in it because of him. I'll have my girlfriend take a "thank you, buddle" sign =p

GhaleonQ

jamesinclair said:
Supports sections means standing the entire time, being very loud, and possibly having flags in your way. Depending on who you are, this may be very good or very bad.

Cheap seats (well, standing areas), but also the worst place to watch the match, but best energy,

Sitting in the middle gives you a better view of the field, so you can see plays develop better. However, if the match is a stinker (like in any sports, always possible), then the supports section might be more fun because theyll be too drunk to notice.

This holds for everything but the biggest clubs. If your team has a strong defense or offense, though, it's sometimes preferable to watch from the "players' view" rather than see plays develop. It's a bit more visceral.

daoster

Clint to Napoli? Try AC Milan instead...

The World Cup form of United States star Clint Dempsey has attracted the interest of Italian club giant AC Milan, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

According to multiple sources, Milan officials have monitored Dempsey’s progress for several months and were impressed enough by his efforts in South Africa to be considering a formal transfer bid.

While Milan would be a big step up, the Italian club’s new coach Massimiliano Allegri believes Dempsey’s hard-working approach could add some backbone to a team that floundered last season. Former coach Leonardo was fired after Milan could only manage a third-place finish in Serie A last season, 12 points behind city rival and league champion Inter Milan.

“[Dempsey] brings a lot of action and energy but he can be creative too,” said a Milan source who is close to the club’s board. “There are some options on the table but Dempsey is a realistic one. A bid is very possible, and soon.”

This would amazing if true...but I wonder if he'd even get significant playing time...He'd be competing for playing time with some of the best players in the world, it'd be a significant jump up from competing for spots with the players in Fulham.

I also wonder how likely Milan will want to spend their (recently, hastily, and stupidly enacted) one non-EU player spot on Clint.

Still, if this is true, and if Clint can get playing time....GO GO USA!

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
I also wonder how likely Milan will want to spend their (recently, hastily, and stupidly enacted) one non-EU player spot on Clint.

I didn't even know there was such a rule, but what about Onyewu, isn't he with AC Milan? And Brazil isn't part of the EU, what about Ronaldinho and others?

Went to the Crew-Fire game last night, excellent game, especially the end of the first half. Going to the Crew's USOC game against Charleston on Tuesday. btw Im not a new Crew fan I've been supporting them for years

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I didn't even know there was such a rule, but what about Onyewu, isn't he with AC Milan? And Brazil isn't part of the EU, what about Ronaldinho and others?

This rule was recently passed, because Italy, in a panic over their shambolic World Cup run, blamed it on the fact that not enough Italians play in their league (the English also come up with this excuse). So, in a hasty manner, they recently passed this rule where the Italian clubs can only buy one non-EU player per season. This rule will probably be challenged by the Italian clubs, but in the mean time, its the rule!

And Gooch has a Belgian passport, so he's cool.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
blamed it on the fact that not enough Italians play in their league (the English also come up with this excuse).

Perhaps the problem is the opposite... Was there any other team in the World Cup that didn't have a single player who played outside their domestic league?

I just checked: Germany, and they seem to be doing fine.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Perhaps the problem is the opposite... Was there any other team in the World Cup that didn't have a single player who played outside their domestic league?

I just checked: Germany, and they seem to be doing fine.

The Bundesliga is a little different from Serie A and EPL. The clubs actually have to be financially stable every year, so they can't blow large wads of cash on superstars, so they spend time nurturing their own talent (and buying cheaper foreign players). They have no restrictions on foreign players though, and clubs in both the Serie A and EPL can all afford to be more financially stable.

Still, this is another subject completely, but I really do think if England had more players outside of their own league, they may have gone farther in the World Cup...but that's another topic for another day!

shoplifter

DTLIONS1013 said:
Went to the Crew-Fire game last night, excellent game, especially the end of the first half. Going to the Crew's USOC game against Charleston on Tuesday. btw Im not a new Crew fan I've been supporting them for years
I was too drunk and chanting to pay attention to half of it. (I'm in HSH)

Hahahahaha well done Seattle :lol :lol :lol

Edit: unfortunately I can't make it Tuesday, but I'm glad that they're apparently not charging regular season prices this week like they did last week. Attendance was so sparse that we ALL moved south and became Surdecke during the second half.

shoplifter said:
I was too drunk and chanting to pay attention to half of it. (I'm in HSH)

Hahahahaha well done Seattle :lol :lol :lol

Edit: unfortunately I can't make it Tuesday, but I'm glad that they're apparently not charging regular season prices this week like they did last week. Attendance was so sparse that we ALL moved south and became Surdecke during the second half.

Im gonna have my first Nordecke experience on Tuesday, not sure why I havn't been in before, but Ill be there. Im also thinking of joining HSH or Crew Union next year

daoster

cashman said:
what are some of the sites you guys go to for following the national team?

Very little sites focus entirely on the National team, but I usually read ussoccer's MNT blog...Soccer By Ives, and Yanks Abroad.

With Soccer By Ives, you get a comprehensive view of soccer...MLS, USMNT, and the Leagues abroad...with Yanks Abroad, its an easy resource to see how the Yanks playing abroad are doing, and while not all of them have a necessary future in USMNT, some of them might factor in.

Anyways...some more update on the Dempsey possibly going to Milan...Apparently Gooch recommended both him and Altidore for Milan...He didn't factor much into the season in Milan last year, but he's gotten props from Milan and its fans for volunteering to work for free this year, cause Milan stuck by him during his long injury. Hopefully, he'll get playing time this year.

Clint Dempsey touted for AC Milan transfer as Fulham exodus fears grow

Dempsey has apparently been recommended to the Rossoneri by his international team-mate Oguchi Onyewu, who is already a well-respected member of their squad despite being sidelined for most of his first season in Italy.

Here's the Italian article where it mentions that Gooch recommended Altidore (as well Dempsey of course)

Onyewu: "Ai tifosi del Milan dico: ripartiremo"

Still take these rumors as a grain of salt...but it should be exciting.

shoplifter

DTLIONS1013 said:
Im gonna have my first Nordecke experience on Tuesday, not sure why I havn't been in before, but Ill be there. Im also thinking of joining HSH or Crew Union next year
It'll likely be far more drunken than what it normally is on Saturdays, though it will be basically all of the hardcores. It's worth joining HSH even now, especially now that our clubhouse is open.

shoplifter said:
It'll likely be far more drunken than what it normally is on Saturdays, though it will be basically all of the hardcores. It's worth joining HSH even now, especially now that our clubhouse is open.

Im not old enough to drink, so the clubhouse might be a bit boring for me, and I have a friend who works at 106.7 that usually hooks me up with tickets, unfortunatly not in the nordeke

SamuraiX-

Is it still possible to get a flag next to your tag? I know Team USA has already been knocked out, but I still want to show my support. :D

SamuraiX- said:
Is it still possible to get a flag next to your tag? I know Team USA has already been knocked out, but I still want to show my support. :D

No, they stopped giving tags out a long time ago. Basically there was a list of hundreds still waiting, and the mods and all their friends already got one so everyone else was left out in the cold ;)

SamuraiX-

timetokill said:
No, they stopped giving tags out a long time ago. Basically there was a list of hundreds still waiting, and the mods and all their friends already got one so everyone else was left out in the cold ;)

Meh. That's pretty shitty. :-/

cashman

Banned
daoster said:
Very little sites focus entirely on the National team, but I usually read ussoccer's MNT blog...Soccer By Ives, and Yanks Abroad.

With Soccer By Ives, you get a comprehensive view of soccer...MLS, USMNT, and the Leagues abroad...with Yanks Abroad, its an easy resource to see how the Yanks playing abroad are doing, and while not all of them have a necessary future in USMNT, some of them might factor in.
Yeah this was just what I was looking for, something to keep tabs on the players in Europe.

DJ_Tet

Banned
timetokill said:

I got 'removed' from the list because I only posted in the WC thread once. Apparently if I had spammed the thread with hot women I could have gotten a flag :lol

xbhaskarx

Some of you may remember Klinsmann's comments on ESPN about the problem with US soccer after the loss to Ghana:

I think its really important that they lay out a philosophy for US Soccer and say where do we want to go. I mean hopefully by the end of the the US will get the WC 2022... and so you need to know how to develop the players. It is very difficult within the American culture to talk about that topic because you are the only country in the world that has the pyramid upside down. That means you pay for having your kid play soccer, because your goal is not that your kid becomes professional soccer player because your goal is that your kid gets a scholarship in high school or college. Which is completely opposite form the rest of the world...and it is a tough one because soccer is very similar to basketball you need it out of the lower class environment. Soccer worldwide is a lower environment sport. We all got up from moderate families and fought our way through. You need to keep this hunger throughout your life and I compare it to basketball because all these guys are coming form the inner cities so you need to find ways, whatever they may be to connect with the Hispanics, connect with everyone and get the kids that are really hungry. To get the kids on a technical level that are able to perform and what I mean by technical level is first touch. The first touch yesterday was not there and you cannot afford those in the World Cup.

He recently made these comments to the BBC:

How England can learn lessons from German revolution

I think a lot of what he is saying is obvious while other aspects are naive/unrealistic, but I just wanted to put it out there...

More:
The army of university students behind Germany's World Cup success

A special research unit was set up at the German Univeristy of Sport in Cologne to monitor every player, in all domestic leagues and international matches.

Each of Germany's 31 World Cup rivals were assigned two students who complied the most comprehensive dossier ever assembled with hours of video footage, statistics, strengths and weaknesses.

England has two video technicians as part of their squad in Rustenburg, compared to Germany's army of researchers.

Once England were drawn in the last 16, the students, for instance, knew that John Terry could be easily drawn out of defence leaving gaps behind, and that his lack of pace could be exploited. They also discovered England left themselves light at the back when attacking - so counter attacks were a major part of the German game plan.

The students were officially thanked for their contribution yesterday by boss Joachim Loew and team boss Oliver Bierhoff.

xbhaskarx

Daily Mail: Sven Goran Eriksson heads Fulham shortlist to replace Roy Hodgson

Fulham are planning to appoint a "high-calibre manager" to succeed Roy Hodgson in the next fortnight with frontrunners Sven Goran Eriksson and Mark Hughes joined by surprise outside US World Cup coach Bob Bradley.

Following the success of Hodgson in taking Fulham to a Europa League final, owner Mohamed Al Fayed wants a manager with an established reputation in charge.

The outsider, American manager Bradley, is keen to embark on a club career in Europe and his advantage would be being able to bring in several members of the American World Cup team including his son Michael to line up alongside Clint Dempsey who is already at Craven Cottage.

Fulham are not rushing into an appointment with Hodgson having only departed on Thursday.

I really hope this happens, it could be a great pipeline to get more Americans to the EPL.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I know this may be random, but I've been thinking about it for a while.

Does anyone else not like the current US Soccer logo/emblem? I don't like it, it feels really tacky compared to other countries emblems.

I'd rather have:

yhst-7223899490465_2114_16143421833

or

yhst-7223899490465_2114_16048256255

or even the Nike "Don't Tread On Me" logo than the current one. Anyone else agree? I hope we'd see a change before 2014. I mean it's not a high priority, but it wouldn't be bad to see a fresh change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom