• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could get behind MLS. First of all because I live near DC and DC United is a kickass name for a club. Secondly, because New York's team is named the Red Bulls. What a stupid, stupid name. That's like naming your team after the color of your socks. As a Boston sports fan as well, oh fuuuuu.

daoster

Unknown Soldier said:
I don't know that Donovan really wants to go to Europe now. He's already 28, he may have the 2014 World Cup in him but really beyond that his international career is in it's twilight. He will certainly help us qualify for 2014, not as if that's a challenge or anything, the current CONCACAF arrangement will have USA and Mexico and some 3rd team qualifying in perpetuity.

He doesn't want to improve himself and play against the best day in day out? He proved himself for his short loan spell at Everton, but that was all it was...a short loan spell. I'd love to see him compete week in week out for a whole season and show the world his skill. What else is left for him in MLS? Don't you guys want to see Donovan (potentially) playing in the Champions League again??

As phenomenal as Donovan has been for the U.S. team this cycle, he can always improve. Hell, in 2014, he'll be only what, 31/32? Didier Drogba is currently 32, and he's reaching his peak now! We have more to see from Donovan, but I don't think we'll see it if Donovan stays in the MLS.

Besides, if you people want to improve MLS so much, I think having Donovan playing in Europe would ultimately be good for the MLS. Here's a guy who spent the majority of his professional career playing in the MLS, but he has real skill. People will start thinking, "hmm, maybe the MLS isn't a mickey mouse league," and we'll be able to attract better players. I certainly think it'd be better than blowing our money on players who've gone past their peak (David Beckham, Henry, Blanco, Angel).

Outdoor Miner said:
Props to you man! If only more Americans had that mindset MLS would be much farther along than it is right now. They sit around and complain about the quality while doing nothing to help increase it. They want the world's best to come here before dropping a single dime into MLS and they are fucking idiots to think it works that way.

So let these guys bad mouth the domestic league and let them watch shitty streams of Euro teams while dreaming of one day being able to walk into the Nou Camp or Old Trafford. I'll be downing beers sitting 15 feet away from the pitch supporting my town and my team.

I'd love to know how I can help increase the level of play in the MLS. I'm certainly not spending my hard earned money to watch games that I don't really enjoy in atmospheres that, though sometimes can be fun, are usually drab. The drama in most leagues, especially the English Premiere League, is something the MLS simply don't have. I enjoying seeing the relegation battles and battles for the Champions League much more than seeing teams battle it out for a playoff spot (playoffs in the MLS...ugh).

And I'm not a Euro Snob. My main reason for watching the European leagues in the first place was because my American heroes were playing in it. I love it when I see an American succeed against the best in the world. Supporting my home grown league is great and all, but I'd rather see Americans play in the other leagues.

daoster said:
I enjoying seeing the relegation battles and battles for the Champions League much more than seeing teams battle it out for a playoff spot (playoffs in the MLS...ugh).

And I'm not a Euro Snob. .

Really? Because you seem to be bashing the MLS format without understanding it.

Protip: teams are also competing for slots in the concacaf champions league, the superliga and the us open cup.

LQX

GillianSeed79 said:
I could get behind MLS. First of all because I live near DC and DC United is a kickass name for a club. Secondly, because New York's team is named the Red Bulls. What a stupid, stupid name. That's like naming your team after the color of your socks. As a Boston sports fan as well, oh fuuuuu.
I'm not into soccer but that's not a stupid or terrible name by any means considering a lot of NFL, NBA and baseball teams have names like that especially on the college level. Its a very "sporty" name IMO.

daoster

jamesinclair said:
Really? Because you seem to be bashing the MLS format without understanding it.

Protip: teams are also competing for slots in the concacaf champions league, the superliga and the us open cup.

I know about the US Open Cup, Super Liga, and CONCACAF Champions League.

I don't enjoy the US Open Cup for the same reason I don't enjoy the FA Cup. I don't care much to see semi-professional or lower divison teams playing, and while it might be amusing to see a USL team (or whatever it's called now) beat an MLS team, just like it might be interesting to see a Championship team beat a Premiere League team, but...I really don't care that much.

And I don't really understand the point of having the SuperLiga and the CONCACAF Champions League? Is the SuperLiga suppose to be the Europa equivalent for MLS and Mexican teams or something? I also don't care much for the CONCACAF Champions League.

...okay, maybe I am a Euro snob.

LQX said:
I'm not into soccer but that's not a stupid or terrible name by any means considering a lot of NFL, NBA and baseball teams have names like that especially on the college level. Its a very "sporty" name IMO.

It's not a bad name, but the fact that they changed their name to that of an energy drink scares me a little. Jerseys, stadiums, okay. But the actual team? Reminds me of Infinite Jest, where companies start sponsoring years.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
bumbillbee said:
Anybody posted that EPL flowchart yet?

I'm already on-record as throwing my support behind MLS, but this is probably the coolest thing in all of sports:

I know it only happens like once every 80 years, but the fact that some no-name team, LITERALLY no-name... could in theory work their way up to the premier league is amazing.

I had no idea the P/R system existed and the more I read the more enthralled I was. All sports should be organized in this manner.

http://billsportsmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/english_league_pyramid_chart1-9_levels.gif

I had the more humorous one about which team to choose in mind (that I can't seem to find right now), but that's a pretty awesome chart in its own right.

dabig2

jamesinclair said:
2nd reminder:

American fans in secondary cities. Your team may be competing in the US Open Cup. Every team in america is allowed to participate, the winner gets a slot in the CONCACAF Champions league (and the winner of that goes to the club world cup).

More info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup

Upcoming games (round of 16)

(MLS teams in bold)
Tuesday, June 29
New York Red Bulls at Harrisburg City Islanders, 7 p.m.
Richmond Kickers vs. D.C. United at Fairfax, Va., 7:30 p.m.
Rochester Rhinos at Columbus Crew, 7:30 p.m.
Charleston Battery at Chicago Fire, 8:30 p.m.
Miami FC at Houston Dynamo, 8:30 p.m.
AC St. Louis at Los Angeles Galaxy, 10:30 p.m.
Austin Aztex vs. Chivas USA at Fullerton, Calif., 10:30 p.m.
Wednesday, June 30
Seattle Sounders at Portland Timbers, 10:30 p.m.

Think I'll try to catch the Chicago Fire game. Nothing much else doing tues night and I'd like to show my support. Havn't been to a Fire game in 4 years...

jamesinclair said:
I avoided the question because 5 years is a random number. Why ignore history?
i don't know, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that no-one is arguing that the premier league is the best league in history, simply the best in recent times?

WHICH IT IS

Clydefrog

bumbillbee said:
Anybody posted that EPL flowchart yet?

I was born in the US, but started supporting Arsenal when I was 11 or 12 once we got cable and I could watch the matches on Fox Sports World (now FSC). I'm not sure what attracted me. I don't think it was a bandwagon-type thing; I just really liked their style of playing, and they had Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp, two of my favorite players. So I've been following them for years now. I never got into La Liga or any of the other leagues (although I do support Nice since I spent my summers near there). And, I'm sad to say, even though I live in LA, I've never once seen a Galaxy game. I know, shame on me.

So my advice to people here in the US who want to get into the Premier League or something similar is to watch a few matches and see which team you're drawn to. Maybe you like some of the players from the World Cup, maybe you just like the team's jersey or sponsor, maybe you spent a couple weeks in that city once, whatever. Who knows, you might eventually form a pretty strong attachment. If not, just enjoy the fun.

I grew up in Hawaii playing youth level football competitively until moving away for college. That Fox channel was the same way I got into English football. I remember watching old, replayed EPL games on the TV with my dad and being amazed at the lethal strikes these players had. 30 yards out... no problem. Paul Scholes sticks out in my mind as that kind of guy (not anymore...). I also grew to admire Roy Keane. However, I never became a Manchester United supporter.

Teddy Sheringham at Tottenham caught my eye. The whole Tottenham attack combined with their supposed underdog appeal made me an instant fan. NO thanks, Arsenal (Bergkamp is amazing, however.) Nowadays, I still love supporting Spurs. ESPN has made it that much easier now that they broadcast the games on occasion. I own a 2007 Berbatov jersey and a 2009 Modric jersey... which means Redknapp will probably sell Modric this summer. :(

COME ON YOU SPURS! Champions League!!!!

Plans to visit Europe in the fall for 2+ weeks are in the works and the #1 thing I have planned is to watch a game at White Hart Lane. I only hope you guys who are now getting interested can get as interested as I did as a kid!

Clydefrog said:
Teddy Sheringham at Tottenham caught my eye. The whole Tottenham attack combined with their supposed underdog appeal made me an instant fan. NO thanks, Arsenal (Bergkamp is amazing, however.) Nowadays, I still love supporting Spurs. ESPN has made it that much easier now that they broadcast the games on occasion. I own a 2007 Berbatov jersey and a 2009 Modric jersey... which means Redknapp will probably sell Modric this summer. :(

Interesting how we became attracted to rival teams in pretty much the same way. Funny enough, I started disliking Tottenham for some reason before I knew about the rivalry, so my hatred only intensified :lol

It's awesome that you're finally going to watch a game, though. I'm definitely going to try if I ever go to London. Shame that I never got to see Arsenal play at Highbury, though.

bluemax

Banned
So LA GAF who wants to do a meet up when Landycakes comes back? We can all go to a match at Home Depot center and cheer him on!

Edit: On the whole EPL thing, I dunno I mean I get that people view it as the best Pro league in the world, but I have a hard time rooting for teams in a place that I have never and probably never will go to.

It's like people who root for colleges they haven't attended and didn't grow up around.

Plus that whole time zone thing isn't working for me.

I actually enjoy following MLS. However, SOMEONE GET A TEAM TO THE SOUTHEASTERN CORNER OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Seriously...I WANT to have a home team to root for.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Gamecocks625 said:
I actually enjoy following MLS. However, SOMEONE GET A TEAM TO THE SOUTHEASTERN CORNER OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

There used to be a Miami and a Tampa team. I don't know why they don't exist anymore.

faridmon

Atlagev said:
Glad to see we agree on Man U and Real (I don't like SS Lazio, either), but how could you hate Schalke?! They haven't won the title in like 300 years! I feel for Schalke fans, I really do.
well, maybe people hate them because of that. They regard themself as big team, They spend way too much on overrated players (Kuuranyi is just an example) and they say every year its thier year, basically they are England of domestic league :lol :lol :lol

Gamecocks625 said:

THIS

I wish Charlotte would get a team and have them play in Ericson(or BoA/whatever it's called now) stadium. I'd buy season ticket if this were the case, as I'm only 20ish minutes away.

DJ_Tet

Banned
sw33tclyde said:
THIS

I wish Charlotte would get a team and have them play in Ericson(or BoA/whatever it's called now) stadium. I'd buy season ticket if this were the case, as I'm only 20ish minutes away.

Charlotte has supported soccer very well the past, I'm sad that we aren't in the running for a WC pod. I'd love to see a club team here though. We'd buy season tix as well, it would be a great addition to the summer. The Mexican friendlies here always sell out.

jjasper

Gamecocks625 said:

Agreed there are 5 NHL teams here and down here soccer much more popular than hockey.

sw33tclyde said:
THIS

But you do have a team!

"Charlotte Eagles is an American professional soccer team based in Charlotte, North Carolina, United States. Founded in 1991, the team plays in the USL Second Division (USL-2), the third tier of the American Soccer Pyramid."

Not MLS....but Seattle, Portland and Vancouver entered/entering the MLS thanks to strong fan support.

Upcoming regional games (playing teams outsider their league)

Tonight:

7/14 -
Charlotte Eagles v Bolton Wanderers @ UNCC TA Field (7PM EDT)

7/17 -
Charleston Battery v Bolton Wanderers @ Blackbaud Stadium (7:30PM EDT)

Theres also the Carolina RailHawks FC. These are all pro teams, not semi-pro or amateur (of which there are many more)

Columbus Crew FTW, also my amateur team plans to enter Ohio's qualifying tournament for the U.S. Open Cup, does anyone know where to go to register and stuff?

mokeyjoe

Atlagev said:
As long as it's not Manchester United, you're making the right choice. ;-) Tim Howard plays for Everton, and Landon may be going back there, so it's a great choice. Dempsey plays for Fulham. Arsenal is another fun team to watch.

As far as extra channels, well, there are "other ways" to see the games, but I don't think I can talk about that on here?

'Other ways' eh?

Can I just say that if you have an interest in the EPL, or you're just curious, you'd do well to 'acquire' BBC's Match of the Day, which will give you 80 mins or so of extended highlights and analysis of all the matches that day. And because of the demand from British ex-pats it' usually available only a few hours after it's broadcast in the UK (11pm) - so early evening US time.

NoRéN

bumbillbee said:
It's not a bad name, but the fact that they changed their name to that of an energy drink scares me a little. Jerseys, stadiums, okay. But the actual team? Reminds me of Infinite Jest, where companies start sponsoring years.
...hmm, Red Bull Salzburg.

bumbillbee said:

At least Red Bulls sounds like a mascot, better than New York Coca Colas, and ANYTHING is better than New York's previous name, the MetroStars

DJ_Tet

Banned
jamesinclair said:
But you do have a team!

"Charlotte Eagles is an American professional soccer team based in Charlotte, North Carolina, United States. Founded in 1991, the team plays in the USL Second Division (USL-2), the third tier of the American Soccer Pyramid."

Not MLS....but Seattle, Portland and Vancouver entered/entering the MLS thanks to strong fan support.

Tonight:

7/14 -
Charlotte Eagles v Bolton Wanderers @ UNCC TA Field (7PM EDT)

7/17 -

Theres also the Carolina RailHawks FC. These are all pro teams, not semi-pro or amateur (of which there are many more)

I've never heard of the Charlotte Eagles. I'll give them a shot though.

The only pro Charlotte soccer team I remember is the Charlotte Lightening from the late 70s. I think they played a rung lower than Pele's NYC team but I've never been sure.

daegan said:
I'm still so damn depressed. I can't believe it's another four years... :(

You got the 2011 Gold Cup, hopefully the 2013 Confederations Cup, World Cup qualifiers for almost two years....

there's plenty of US international team footie to be had :)

jamesinclair said:
But you do have a team!

7/17 -

Ah! I forgot about the Charleston Battery. I'm in Columbia so this is about as close of a home team as I'll get. I think they're actually a decent team, right?

jamesinclair said:
I avoided the question because 5 years is a random number. Why ignore history?
Because you ignored history when you started this discussion...
jamesinclair said:
Let me guess, you folks think the best league in the world is the premiere league, and the best players in the world play there right?
That's written in present tense, if I'm not mistaken. Past 5 years seems a lot more relevant than all time in that discussion.

jamesinclair said:
And as someone else mentioned, the free-spending ways of the PL will soon come bite them in the ass.
How is that relevant to what the best league in the world is right now?

jamesinclair said:
On top of that, Libertadores > UEFA champions league in every single way.
That's like, your opinion, man.

shoplifter

DTLIONS1013 said:
Columbus Crew FTW, also my amateur team plans to enter Ohio's qualifying tournament for the U.S. Open Cup, does anyone know where to go to register and stuff?
You mean for next year? Contact the USSF.

Crew go through to the next round after an absolutely ludicrous goal by Lenhart in stoppage.

DTLIONS1013 said:
At least Red Bulls sounds like a mascot, better than New York Coca Colas, and ANYTHING is better than New York's previous name, the MetroStars

That's very true; MetroStars is a pretty terrible name. Red Bulls isn't a bad name by any means, and I didn't realize at first that it was the energy drink. Still, you have to admit that it is a little ludicrous to name an entire team after a product.

NoRéN: I was unaware of this team. New York Red Bulls does sound a lot better than FC Red Bull Salzburg, admittedly. But I wasn't trying to say that this advertising overload is limited to America. Still, I guess that if it gets them the funds they need, I can live with it.

They should've revived the Cosmos name.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if a rival/2nd MLS team would be made in New York City with that name soon.

shoplifter

captmcblack said:
They should've revived the Cosmos name.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if a rival/2nd MLS team would be made in New York City with that name soon.
New yorkers can't be bothered to fill one stadium, let alone two. I get the media dollars reasoning, but I'd rather see a 20th club go somewhere they'll have sellout crowds.

New Yorkers can and will fill a stadium that is actually located in New York Coty.

The Jets and Giants get away with being in dirty Jerz because it's football, and football trumps everything in this country. Other sports, you either need to be good, or be located in the city proper. A Cosmos stadium in Queens or something would be awesome and would get capacity crowds - especially if the team was even sorta good.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Speaking of the Red Bulls, we just lost our Open Cup match to the fucking Harrisburg City Islanders. Our old keeper joined them and then proceeded to help get us knocked out of the tourney. :lol

Laughter is the only way I can show my pain =(

Chicago also got knocked out by a USL team, so we can share our shame with another MLS team. :lol

Just ordered tickets to the next New England Revolution game, World Cup got me fired up enough to talk some friends into going to at least one game with me. :D

In August I'm moving close to Columbus, is there a big fan base for the Crew?

mikeybwright said:
Just ordered tickets to the next New England Revolution game, World Cup got me fired up enough to talk some friends into going to at least one game with me. :D

I live in Columbus and go to almost every Crew home game, and I can safely say that we have the best soccer fans in the country

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm disappointed that the DC United game tomorrow against the Richmond Kickers isn't on television. Hopefully we don't get knocked out.

Daigoro

sazabirules said:
I'm disappointed that the DC United game tomorrow against the Richmond Kickers isn't on television. Hopefully we don't get knocked out.

will there be a stream online somewhere? i know some of the Open Cup games were being streamed. check the DC United website.

mikeybwright said:

cool. unfortunately we are in a shambles this season (and most of last season). hopefully we can pull out a win for you guys. :lol is this for the LA game? could be rough. LA are steamrolling this year.

my suggestion: drink lots of beer and come sing with us in the supporters section.

Atlagev

Gamecocks625 said:
You got the 2011 Gold Cup, hopefully the 2013 Confederations Cup, World Cup qualifiers for almost two years....

there's plenty of US international team footie to be had :)

See, that's the thing. I think a lot of people don't even realize that the US team *plays* outside of the World Cup, or even has to qualify...

I remember turning on ESPN one day in 1995 (after I had fallen in love with the 1994 US World Cup team), and I was shocked to see the same players I loved (Wynalda, Lalas, Cobi Jones, etc.) playing against Nigeria! I was like, "Wow, this is awesome! The US team plays *other* games besides the World Cup?"

The US team's next match is on August 10th against Brazil. You'll see a lot of the same players, as well as a few new ones, hopefully (I wonder if Charlie Davies will be fit in time for that game).

Daigoro

Atlagev said:
The US team's next match is on August 10th against Brazil. You'll see a lot of the same players, as well as a few new ones, hopefully (I wonder if Charlie Davies will be fit in time for that game).

yeah, i was considering heading down for this.

anyone attending?

After watching some of these other soccer games...I'll say it.

It was a good thing we were knocked out early.

I wouldn't be able to take the heartbreak of making the semi-finals/finals and just getting completely owned by another team. I'm pretty sure we had less tha 1% chance of winning the whole thing.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Daigoro said:
will there be a stream online somewhere? i know some of the Open Cup games were being streamed. check the DC United website.

There wasn't one I could find. The only link was for tickets. I hope we manage to get out of last place during the rest of the season.

Tonights US Open Cup results. A couple MLS teams get embarrassed once again.

For those who dont understand the soccer pyramid, in the US:

MLS (Major League)
D2 Pro (USL-1) (Aka: Triple AAA)
USL-2
PDL and Amateur

Round of 16, direct elimination:

New York Red Bulls (MLS) 0 - 1 Harrisburg City Islanders (USL-2)
Rochester Rhinos (D2 Pro) 1 - 2 Columbus Crew (MLS)
Charleston Battery (USL-2) 0 - 0 Chicago Fire (MLS)
Miami FC (D2 Pro) 0 - 1 Houston Dynamo (MLS)
AC St. Louis (D2 Pro) 0 - 2 Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS)
Austin Aztex (D2 Pro) 0 - 1 Chivas USA (MLS)

Tomorrow:
Richmond Kickers (USL-2) v D.C. United (MLS)
Seattle Sounders FC (MLS) v Portland Timbers (D2 Pro)

The US Open Cup runs in the summer, and is independent to the regular season, which is why its played in the middle of the week (the leagues try to schedule most games on weekends).

Besides a small cash prize, the winning team gets one of 3 US slots in the CONCACAF Champions League, which is the tournament to determine the best team in north america.

dschalter

daegan said:
I'm still so damn depressed. I can't believe it's another four years... :(

Meh, it's not as bad as 02. We were completely jobbed in the quarters, much worse than what happened in group play in 06 or this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom