• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

So in the midst of all the World Cup fever, this one kind of flew under the radar. Sacha Kljestan has completed his transfer from Chivas USA to Belgian club R.S.C. Anderlecht.

KLJESTAN EXCITED FOR EUROPEAN DEBUT

midfielder Sacha Kjlestan made the move to Belgian champions Anderlecht earlier this month and is looking forward to his European experience.

"So far it's been good," the California native told YA after the team's 7-1 pre-season victory over KSKL Ternat. "After a week of training camp in Holland I feel good. The coach has given me some good feedback and my teammates have helped me adjust to the new training and stuff like that. So it's been good so far."

Having joined Anderlecht after already making appearances for Chivas, Kjlestan feels that he is ready for the upcoming season.

"I'm coming right out of my season," he continued. "I only had about eight or nine days off before I started here. And obviously going to that World Cup camp with the World Cup team helped my fitness as well. We did five days straight of really hard fitness training. I feel really good right now and I feel healthy."

Although he should have made the move to Europe in January of 2009 when then-Scottish champions Celtic came calling but were put off by the hefty MLS price tag, the former All-American will hope to fulfill his dream of playing Champions League soccer with the Belgian champions.

Congrats to him. The fact that he has the possibility to play some Champions League soccer (even if it is probably going to be qualifying games) should be a great experience for him. Hopefully, he'll get regular playing time in Europe, improve his game, and have that experience transfer over to our national team...as if our midfield isn't crowded enough!

Man, even though it was a disappointing loss to Ghana...the cycle begins all over, and I'm excited to see what the future for the USMNT will bring...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to find a list of friendlies being played in the United States? I might go to Inter Milan/Manchester City since it is close but it is really expensive for any decent seats.

From TVbythenumbers.com:

Sunday's Argentina/Mexico World Cup match drew the largest audience in the history of Univision.

Argentina's win over Mexico drew 9.363 million viewers on Univision Sunday afternoon, according to Nielsen fast-nationals. Not only does this mark the largest audience in the history of Univision, it also marks the largest audience in the history of U.S. Spanish-language television.

To put the numbers in perspective, the Univision audience alone drew more viewers than every game of the Stanley Cup Final, including Game 6 -- the most-viewed NHL game of the past 36 years (8.279 mil).

According to the New York Times, Argentina/Mexico also drew 5.5 million viewers on ABC all together equaling a combined audience of approximately 14.9 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/2...cer-audience-in-history-of-19-4-million/55532

DJ_Tet

Banned
Great links and info in this thread. I've decided to go to at least two Charlotte Eagles games next month and possibly all of them. Apparently Bolton is coming to town, should be a good way to show support for Charlotte soccer :)

edit: :lol @ USL2 going 2-0 vs MLS that's not good

Daigoro said:
cool. unfortunately we are in a shambles this season (and most of last season). hopefully we can pull out a win for you guys. :lol is this for the LA game? could be rough. LA are steamrolling this year.

my suggestion: drink lots of beer and come sing with us in the supporters section.

Yeah it's the Galaxy game, and we are sort of expecting a bloodbath (one of the reasons my friends are willing to go is because I promised them goals hah), our seats are in the supporters section and seeing it's at Patriots Place we will be plenty drunk.

Are you going to Football at Fenway? I'm thinking about it, Celtic is the kind of European team I could get behind.

shoplifter

DJ_Tet said:
Great links and info in this thread. I've decided to go to at least two Charlotte Eagles games next month and possibly all of them. Apparently Bolton is coming to town, should be a good way to show support for Charlotte soccer :)

Yeah, so much for the MLS taking the USOC seriously. At least our next match should be easier. ThAnks Chicago!

sazabirules said:
DC won against Richmond! 2-0. Who do the other two American spots go to in the CONCAF tournament besides the Cup's winner?

3 more slots actually.

The 2010-2011 champions league will have:

Real Salt Lake 2009 MLS Cup champion
Columbus Crew 2009 MLS Supporters' Shield winner
Los Angeles Galaxy 2009 MLS Cup runner-up
Seattle Sounders FC 2009 U.S. Open Cup champion

Tournament starts July 29.

So the winner of THIS US Open cup doesnt get to play until next fall.

daoster

First of all, screw Liverpool for taking Roy away from Fulham...screw them. After seasons of fighting off relegation, they fought their hearts out at the greatest moment of their history at this year's Europa League. Now, with Roy gone, Fulham are in real danger of going back to their old ways...especially if there's an exodus of players...

But speaking of Fulham...

teams from the big 5 leagues in Europe seem to be interested in Dempsey...no clubs other than Napoli named in the article, but it'll be interesting to see what the other clubs are.

Agent confirms "big club" interest in Dempsey

"We don't have an offer from Napoli," Lyle Yorks told MLSsoccer.com. "There is a lot of interest from big clubs in Europe in Clint. And now you've got Roy Hodgson leaving for Liverpool tomorrow, if that's confirmed, so there's a lot of different things going on."

Yorks revealed that Dempsey has at least one admirer in each of the five top leagues—England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain—and that these clubs coming in all have European soccer on the docket this coming season.

This is quite exciting. I think Clint has more or less proven that he can succeed in the English league, it'll be awesome to see how Clint would fare for in the Italian league or the Spanish league...definitely different from the English league, but I have faith in Clint.

What do you guys think?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
This is quite exciting. I think Clint has more or less proven that he can succeed in the English league, it'll be awesome to see how Clint would fare for in the Italian league or the Spanish league...definitely different from the English league, but I have faith in Clint.

What do you guys think?

I think Clint has the talent to play in any league. I thought he was swift and had the best footwork among the entire US team.

Daigoro

DJ_Tet said:

yeah sadly many MLS teams dont take the Open Cup all that seriously and wind up sending in the B team. depends on the club and the season they are having.

but the Open Cup does not get enough love from MLS in general. unfortunate.

Daigoro

talisayNon said:
After watching some of these other soccer games...I'll say it.

It was a good thing we were knocked out early.

I wouldn't be able to take the heartbreak of making the semi-finals/finals and just getting completely owned by another team. I'm pretty sure we had less tha 1% chance of winning the whole thing.

buh. missing the whole point here. only the best of the best have a chance at winning the cup. we never really had any shot. advancing as far as we possibly could was what the best of expectations were.

advancing to another round would have been AWESOME.

sazabirules said:
There wasn't one I could find. The only link was for tickets. I hope we manage to get out of last place during the rest of the season.

yah you guys are having a rough year. :( same with the Revs. it sucks!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Why is the ONE well-televised MLS game so damn early??? 4PM PST? I'm still at work! Hell I'll still be at work when the game *ends*.

The worst part is, I work from home. I could be on the couch watching the game in... 6 seconds. But I can't... must stay strong. It's a damn slippery slope when working out of a home office. I already took like a 60 minute "break" to play Crackdown 2 this morning.

daoster

Bradley wants to remain U.S. coach

NEW YORK -- Bob Bradley says he'd be "honored" to remain the U.S. soccer coach, and he expects a decision in three to four weeks.

Bradley told The Associated Press on Thursday he had "a very good first conversation" with federation president Sunil Gulati before leaving the World Cup. Bradley plans to meet with U.S. Soccer CEO Dan Flynn next week.

"I would simply say that we need time," Bradley said. "Time to talk. Time to think a little bit."

Hired in December 2006, Bradley's contract runs through the end of the year. He led the Americans to the top of their group for the first time in 80 years. But with the team in good position to reach the semifinals, the U.S. lost 2-1 to Ghana in overtime in the first round of the knockout stage.

Gulati said Monday that "I think the team is capable of more."

"We're proud of the work and the results, and we stand behind that," Bradley said of his coaching staff. "As this four-year cycle ends and a new one begins, we're pleased that regardless of decisions going forward that the work in this four years will pay off in the next four years."

What do you guys think? I'm not one of the fans who hated Bradley...I was disappointed when he originally became manager, but I think he's done a good job (some bad decisions non-withstanding), and was probably the best American for the job.

I personally wouldn't mind that much if he's the coach again, but at the same time, I want to see a coach that can bring our team to the next level...his name is KLINSMANN!

Poigea

daoster said:

What do you guys think? I'm not one of the fans who hated Bradley...I was disappointed when he originally became manager, but I think he's done a good job (some bad decisions non-withstanding), and was probably the best American for the job.

I personally wouldn't mind that much if he's the coach again, but at the same time, I want to see a coach that can bring our team to the next level...his name is KLINSMANN!

I think Bradley really has done a great job. Like you his initial hire didn't impress me, but Bradley did end up impressing me in the end. I think he has done a good job, but I do think it is time for a change. By the time the next World Cup comes around he will have been our head coach for a long time and I would rather get some new blood in there as long as it is a good replacement. I do not blame any "failure" in this World Cup on him though, it was the defenses lack of ability to prevent early goals and our strikers inability to score goals that cost us this time, not necessarily coaching. Though starting Ricardo Clark and not using Buddle (especially when Altidore was tired and we were just lobbing long, high balls), WTF?

I would whole heartedly get behind a Klinsmann hire. After listening to him talk he understands the US and our soccer culture. I just hope the US federation gives him the ability to change some things about our current structure and the flexibility he would want to reshape our National team. If they want to go in that direction they should definitely do it sooner rather than later though.

DominoKid

daoster said:

gotta can him for poor lineup decisions, failure to correct longstanding errors and conservativeness. things that have been issues for the last 2 or so years and show no sign of improving.

its time to move on.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Shouldn't have started Clark (or, to a lesser extent, Findley). That's what you get for trying to outsmart common sense. Also coaches usually do worse their second WC so I'm not seeing it.

daoster

DominoKid said:
gotta can him for poor lineup decisions, failure to correct longstanding errors and conservativeness. things that have been issues for the last 2 or so years and show no sign of improving.

its time to move on.

Not that I mind much either way for Bradley, but playing devil's advocate here for a moment: These are similar criticisms of Don Fabio and his English squad selection. Yet, it's almost a given that Fabio Capello will hold on to his job, why is it different with Bradley?

I think things have shown a marked improvement from 4 years ago.

Again though, for me, it goes back to, can Bradley take us to that next level? Probably not, but I think overall for the state of our national team, Bradley has been a plus, rather than a negative.

daegan

Yeah, even Gulati's first few comments after the loss said to me that he's going to look for someone else. I'd like to see Bob try his hand at something in Europe, like so many others; I'm not 100% sold on Klinsmann but he's probably our best bet as he seems to be kind of a best of both worlds scenario...

daegan

daoster said:
Not that I mind much either way for Bradley, but playing devil's advocate here for a moment: These are similar criticisms of Don Fabio and his English squad selection. Yet, it's almost a given that Fabio Capello will hold on to his job, why is it different with Bradley?

Again though, for me, it goes back to, can Bradley take us to that next level? Probably not, but I think overall for the state of our national team, Bradley has been a plus, rather than a negative.

I don't know that anyone expects Fabio to stay past the Euro though. I certainly wouldn't.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
daoster said:
yeah, not to hate on bradley or anything. i'd love to see him go to the premiership and do well. also he gave us michael bradley :D

methodman

Banned
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100701

Simmons': World Cup's 20 questions

Great piece, and by far the best sports writer in the US IMO. Check out what he says about US Soccer:

Question No. 18: After USA's exit in the round of 16, should American soccer fans be disappointed? Proud? Ambivalent? Frustrated but appreciative?

I'd go with the latter. Heading into the Ghana game, the stars had aligned in three ways: Landon Donovan's Algeria goal had totally passed the Mom Test back in the States (in other words, even my mother, who barely follows sports, knew about it and had an opinion on it); USA had a shockingly easy road to the semifinals (for whatever reason, the other half of the bracket was stacked); and Donovan and Tim Howard were playing as well as anyone in the world. An improbable semifinals trip and Lord knows how much domestic momentum was sitting there on a platter. So really, they blew it. And they blew it for frustrating reasons (Bradley's bizarre lineup choices) and legitimate ones (no American forward could have started for a Premier League contender, much less any Cup favorite). We scored five goals in four games: two on hustle goals off second chances, one on a penalty kick, one on a brain fart by England's goalie, and Donovan's goal against Slovenia, which came with the help of a mistimed defensive play. Not a single "WOW!!!!!!!!!" play among them.

And what's what worries me about the ceiling of American soccer. We reached a certain plateau in 2010, a little like a 47-win NBA team that everyone knows can't make the Finals. Watch how those crafty Germans bang home scoring chances, or the blinding speed of their young stud Mesut Ozil on the wing. Rewatch that "WOW!!!!!!!!!" goal scored by Uruguay's striker to beat Korea Republic, or the one by Tevez in the Argentina-Mexico game. Team USA never made you scream "WOW!!!!!!!!!" for a really good reason: We don't have a player with that kind of chops. This was a team of grinders and overachievers. We didn't have enough speed without Charlie Davies, and we certainly don't have a world-class striker who creates scoring chances out of thin air. In four Cup games, our forwards scored zero goals. That's why we went home over everything else.

By 2014, maybe young Jozy Altidore (only 20) will get there; he certainly has the physical gifts, although it's unclear whether he has any scoring touch. (It's the difference between Dwight Howard's low-post game and Pau Gasol's low-post game; you can work at it all you want, but you'll never be as good as the guys who are born to put it into the net. A guy like Germany's Miroslav Klose could find the far post falling out of a wheelchair when he's 60. It's a DNA thing. I am convinced. So the worry is that Jozy has too much Howard in him and not enough Gasol.) Maybe Davies and Fast Young Guy X will provide that missing burst on the wing. Maybe Teenage Prodigy X is four years from saving us and we don't even know his name. But you can't advance to the semifinals without the "WOW!!!!!!!!!" factor. Impossible.

(Important note: I want Simon Cowell to create a reality television competition for Fox called "American Striker." That's the only way we'll find one by 2014, barring Jozy jumping a level or a foreign stud miraculously defecting. And don't rule that out. Can't we find a multibillionaire sports fan to "convince" an up-and-coming striker to become an American citizen before he commits to another national team? Larry Ellison and Paul Allen: Step it up, fellas.)

Question No. 19: Thanks to last year's Confederations Cup and Donovan's extra-time goal last weekend, do you think soccer is finally taking off in America?

Put it this way …

When I was in the third grade (1978), people thought soccer was taking off in America.

When I was a freshman in college (1988), people thought soccer was taking off in America.

When I was a barely employed wannabe sportswriter in Boston whose life revolved around the O.J. Simpson trial and partying every night (1994), people thought soccer was taking off in America.

When I was living in Boston with my fiancée and writing for ESPN.com (2002), people thought soccer was taking off in America.

I am 40 years old. I live in Los Angeles. My hair is turning silvery white. I have a wife, two kids, a mortgage and that same ESPN column. Guess what? People think soccer is taking off in America. Only this time … I agree with them.

Question No. 20: Wait a second … you agree with them? YOU AGREE WITH THEM???? You sap! They say this every four years and it never happens!!!! Klosterman is right! You are the Manchurian Soccer Candidate!

Hear me out …

When Donovan scored that Cup-saving goal against those spineless playing-for-a-tie-when-they-needed-to-win-by-two-goals Algerians, the moment resonated like no other goal in American soccer history. We didn't have anyone telling us how we should feel, what the implications were, what the moment meant. We knew what it meant. We wanted more games. We wanted our boys to keep playing. Someone scored. We celebrated. We jumped up and down. We ran around the room. We were alive for another game. For once in a fragmented sports world, we all happened to be rooting for the same thing.

When does that happen anymore? In 2010, you can follow any athlete, whether he plays 13 miles away or 3,000. You can watch any game you want. You can read any and every opinion that exists. You can find out information as soon as it happens, instead of 12-18 hours later in a newspaper. You can interact with other fans who love your team; you can butt heads with the people who hate them. You can tweet your thoughts on a big play as the players are still celebrating it. You can root for your real guys and your fantasy guys. You are fanatically autonomous.

We didn't have nearly as many choices when I was growing up. Either you rooted for local teams or you jumped on a successful bandwagon (such as the Steelers' or Cowboys') because they were always on national TV. The days of "I'm going to fall in love with Oklahoma City because I love watching Kevin Durant, even though I live in Maine" were still decades away. Eight-Year-Old Me rooted for the four Boston teams, Ali, Nicklaus, Connors and Leonard. I hated the Yankees, Raiders, Dolphins, Canadiens, Flyers, Sixers, Munson, Nettles, Stabler, Clarke and Kareem. I liked Earl Campbell and the Oilers' uniforms. I liked David Thompson and George Gervin. I loved all Topps cards. I loved Gerry Cheevers' mask. I loved Terry O'Reilly and Mike Haynes. I loved Freddie Lynn more than anything. And those were the only real sports opinions I had.

Fast-forward to 2010. What shapes Eight-Year-Old Me? How would EYOM settle on 10-12 things to love and hate? How would EYOM differentiate substance from nonsense? How could a moment stand out for EYOM when everything gets televised or covered? It's total sports overload. Too many choices, too much noise, too many extremes, too many niches, too many forums, too many opinions, too many people trying to stand out. You become numb after a while. The only thing that never gets old? Winning in the most dramatic way possible, then basking in the glow of that dramatic victory with as many people as possible.

Recently, Tiger Woods came closest to uniting everyone for a common rooting interest -- remember the 2008 U.S. Open? -- but his career imploded and he squandered that momentum indefinitely (if not forever). There is no "Wildly Popular American Athlete" or "Wildly Popular American Team." We even turned on Brett Favre. We only share the Olympics together, every two years. A rotating cast of athletes that fleetingly capture our affection, and after that, we never consider them again.

The U.S. soccer team could own that "everyone" domain for the simple reason that it's unattainable for anyone else. We always want our national soccer team to succeed; it would be un-American to feel differently. There's continuity through the years when certain players (such as Donovan, Howard and 2010 breakout star Michael Bradley, locks to make the 2014 World Cup) stick around for a prolonged time. There's always a finish line (the Cup every four years), with dozens of exhibitions, smaller tournaments and World Cup qualifying strewn in between. If you want, you can extend your attachment by following American stars on their club squads. Add everything up and it feels like following the Lakers, Red Sox, Niners or whomever.

(Note: I knew I was hooked on Saturday, after Bob Bradley started Ricardo Clark over Maurice Edu, when I was sending e-mails back and forth with friends much like I would have done had Doc Rivers started Tony Allen in Game 4 of the NBA Finals. What the hell is going on? Why are we doing this? Is Edu injured or something? This is terrible! WHY??????? You may have been sending those same e-mails to your buddies, too. That's the "everyone" domain.)

A cynic might say, "Come on, you could have said the same thing when we beat Colombia in 1994." No way. You need time with these things. Decades. You need kids like me to grow up with soccer in their lives. You need a few memories to stack up. You need it to happen organically. The theory that soccer would never catch on until we found our own Pelé or launched our own successful pro league was dead wrong. We only needed to be exposed to great soccer for a prolonged period of time. We're American. We only respond to the best. The cream of the crop. Nothing else is going to fly.

We don't care that much about Donovan playing for the L.A. Galaxy with guys who couldn't sniff the Premier League, just like English people wouldn't care about seeing Dwyane Wade playing with a bunch of D-Leaguers in London. We want to see Donovan tested against the best. In the months leading up to the 2010 World Cup, I watched Donovan play big games for our national team, for the Galaxy (in the playoffs), then overseas for a solid Everton team. I knew he was a world-class player. I knew he was legitimate. I wasn't stealing that opinion from a magazine or a talking head. The hours I logged with Donovan made me feel invested in him.

It's just easier to care about soccer now. Actually, it's something of a perfect storm -- the technology in place, the flaws of our own professional sports, the efficiency of soccer games, our longing for the pre-JumboTron days when people just cheered and that's what fans did, our best-of-the-best fetish, ESPN's unwavering commitment to pushing the sport, the urgency of every game -- that makes more sense as a whole than it did 10 years ago. After that crushing Ghana defeat, the U.S. players weren't devastated just because they blew a winnable game, but because they knew a growing number of Americans actually cared and it wasn't simply a bandwagon thing. (The TV ratings backed it up: an astonishing 19.4 million U.S. viewers.) It was like pining for the same girl for four years in college, finally hooking up with her one night, then getting kicked out of school the next day.

Dammit! I blew it! I had her! We could have had something!

Regardless, the U.S. completed Stage 1. Soccer is no longer taking off. It's here. Those celebratory YouTube videos that started popping up in the 24 hours after Donovan's goal -- all unfolding the same way, with a stationary shot of nervous fans watching the game in a bar, going quiet for a couple of seconds during the American counterattack, reacting to Dempsey's miss ("Nooooooooo!"), holding their breath for two beats ("Wait a second …"), exploding on Donovan's finish ("Hi-yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"), then chanting "USA! USA! USA!" afterward -- tapped into a collective American sports experience unlike anything since Lake Placid.

I would never compare Donovan's goal to Mike Eruzione's goal, or compare the significance of an early-round World Cup game to the best American sports night ever. But you can't tell me Donovan's goal was a fleeting moment or a lark. Each celebration clip that landed on YouTube could have been any American bar, any group of American friends, anywhere. Like John Cougar Mellencamp's annoying Chevy commercial sprung to life. Only it wasn't annoying. I thought it was glorious. Those clips choked me up. Those clips gave me goosebumps. Those clips made me think, "I forget this sometimes, but I'm glad I live in the United States of America."

Rasheed Wallace loved to say "ball don't lie." YouTube don't lie, either. We will always have the Algeria game. Always.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
methodman said:
btw... FUCK Bradley for playing Clark over Edu. FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:*(

Yeah, that was the first time that I questioned a decision in soccer. I thought to myself "Holy shit, this feels like a bad decision!"

And that felt good.

Then bad.

DominoKid

daoster said:

i dont think Capello should keep his job either but England's hitched their wagon to him. :lol

daoster

Fair enough...coaches usually do worse the second time around. Hopefully though, we have somebody in mind for this next cycle...cause it'd sure suck if Klinsmann says no, then we have to scramble to find somebody and settle for somebody who's worse than Bradley (and as far American coaches go, I really do think that Bradley is the best we'll get for awhile).

And that Bill Simmons...I loved it, especially his reason for why he thinks soccer's moment is finally here in the USA.

Anyways, here's another Nike commercial, USMNT focused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hN3efui2fM

"Thank you for not diving" :lol :lol

2014, here we go!

Stuck

methodman said:
Simmons' article

Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed reading it. As an American with little to no interest/experience with soccer prior to this World Cup, the tournament has really opened my eyes to the sport. I'm excited to keep following it in some sort of capacity, although I don't think I could ever root for a team/league/etc where I didn't have a geographical tie. I'm sure there are always Americans that try and jump on the bandwagon after every World Cup and ultimately lose interest, so I'm definitely interested to see how things evolve between now and 2014.

Just last night I was out getting drinks with coworkers from Germany, Brazil, and Argentina and it was really fun just to be involved in the football conversation. I really enjoy the passion, history, drama, and everything else that goes along with the game. I hope the international scene embraces more American fans coming in to appreciate the sport, and it would all the more exciting for me to see the US compete at a respectable level for years to come.

For now, I'm going to play a low key game of soccer with some friends this weekend, and I haven't done that since I was about 9 years old.

Stuck said:
For now, I'm going to play a low key game of soccer with some friends this weekend, and I haven't done that since I was about 9 years old.

Have fun :)

My buddies and I do this atleast once a week, and we always have a blast. I've never played competitively(aside from a season in youth soccer as a kid), but we played with a bunch of Mexicans last week and they invited us to their impromptu tourney where every team pitches in $150 and winner take all. It'll certainly be interesting no matter the outcome.

Stuck

jamesinclair said:
Where do you live?

I've been living in Oregon and I do have some friends here from Seattle that are into the Sounders, but I just don't feel that attached. I'm originally from the Bay Area and I'll be moving back down to Northern California in September, so if I decided to follow MLS, I suppose it would be the Earthquakes for me.

I did just spend some time in Germany, and I do have a bit of German heritage, so maybe I'll try to scope out some of the Bundesliga. I was actually taking a train from Bremen to Berlin on the day of the Werder Bremen vs. Bayern Munich DFB-Pokal final in May. I had no idea what was going on at the time, but I certainly figured it out after seas of totally belligerent hooligans were screaming, chanting, and drinking all around me on their way to the match. I was pretty impressed that everyone was so into it and enjoyed the atmosphere, despite some oafish dude spilling a pint all over my shoes.

Anyways, I'm definitely going to watch the Germany vs. Argentina game tomorrow, and I'll keep an eye on Özil since he plays for Bremen.

Stuck said:
I've been living in Oregon and I do have some friends here from Seattle that are into the Sounders, but I just don't feel that attached. I'm originally from the Bay Area and I'll be moving back down to Northern California in September, so if I decided to follow MLS, I suppose it would be the Earthquakes for me.

Definitely check out an earthquakes match. Right now theyre playing in a tiny temp stadium, but the atmosphere should still be good.

Stuck

jamesinclair said:
Definitely check out an earthquakes match. Right now theyre playing in a tiny temp stadium, but the atmosphere should still be good.

Thanks for the heads up...I think I will try to catch a match in San Jose when I'm in the area. Any good rivalries or other fun teams to see the Earthquakes play against? How much do MLS tickets usually cost?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Stuck said:

I did just spend some time in Germany, and I do have a bit of German heritage, so maybe I'll try to scope out some of the Bundesliga. I was actually taking a train from Bremen to Berlin on the day of the Werder Bremen vs. Bayern Munich DFB-Pokal final in May. I had no idea what was going on at the time, but I certainly figured it out after seas of totally belligerent hooligans were screaming, chanting, and drinking all around me on their way to the match. I was pretty impressed that everyone was so into it and enjoyed the atmosphere, despite some oafish dude spilling a pint all over my shoes.

Anyways, I'm definitely going to watch the Germany vs. Argentina game tomorrow, and I'll keep an eye on Özil since he plays for Bremen.

Even if you're not going to live there by the time they start, the Portland Timbers are going to be in the MLS during 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom