• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

Ziocyte

Fed, no. ;_;

He was just over powered today. Tough to get into a rhythm when your opponent is that dialed in on serve and half the court is taken away because of that forehand. Del Potro is having an amazing tourney and I'm definitely rooting for him after the Thiem match and now Roger.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Fed, no. ;_;

He was just over powered today. Tough to get into a rhythm when your opponent is that dialed in on serve and half the court is taken away because of that forehand. Del Potro is having an amazing tourney and I'm definitely rooting for him after the Thiem match and now Roger.

Del potro served well and came up with some huge forehands and timely passes/returns but Roger absolutely laid an egg in this one.

He wasn't overpowered like he was in 2009 when del Poltro had his full arsenal. Roger missed a ton of gimme shots that would have put him in the lead or given him a chance to get back in the match. It's like the commentators said, maybe he got mind fucked like other players on the tour by del potros weak backhand side.

Del potro served well and came up with some huge forehands and timely passes/returns but Roger absolutely laid an egg in this one.

He wasn't overpowered like he was in 2009 when del Poltro had his full arsenal. Roger missed a ton of gimme shots that would have put him in the lead or given him a chance to get back in the match. It's like the commentators said, maybe he got mind fucked like other players on the tour by del potros weak backhand side.

Even in 2009, he had plenty of opportunities to win that match. To be honest, Federer really should have won that match. Federer hasn't been great over these two weeks. Two five-setters at the beginning, and even though the draw opened up nicely, he was always extremely vulnerable to a Del Potro.

It looks like the last chance of a Fedal US Open match has now passed us by. They've been within one match of that possibility 5-6 times. It just isn't meant to be. It's why the Aus. Open final was so bittersweet. It's a miracle it ever happened at all. And, now, it's possible they'll never meet in a slam ever again. Still, I'm delighted for Del Potro. He's a player I've loved since that amazing 2009 final. If not for his terrible luck with injuries, he would have, in my estimation at least, won multiple slams and been a member of 'The Big Five'. I love Rafa, but he has 15 slams already. Del Potro is more than a one slam wonder, so c'mon DelPo!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I agree re: US Open 2009. It was an absolutely atrocious match, very low quality for a final, and Federer really gifted it to Del Potro - and I like Del Potro and dislike Federer, so you know I don't have much incentive to admit that. Obviously a champion has to take the chances they are a given, and Del Potro certainly did, but acting like the 2009 US Open was a heretofore unforeseen pinnacle is not right. Now I've watched the replay of last night's match on the train, it wasn't completely incomparable.

That said, Del Potro is a much better player than Wawrinka and completely and absolutely deserves a second slam. He is been incredibly unfortunate to have had his career so blighted by injury.

All of the Big Four were helped by injury and illness issues, I think. Soderling and Ancic were both 'would-be' slam winners who were forced from the circuit prematurely, and Del Potro's career trajectory was obviously completely derailed.

scarlet

Did we watch different final? USO 2009 was great.

Yeah, Fed could and should've won that, but DelPo was playing better in crucial points.

I still remember those 2 forehands from him that made me a fan.

So no nadal fans around here?

Oh, I'm a huge Rafa fan. It's been so good to see him back and playing well. The only real downer is that he's finished at my favourite slam, Wimbledon, and there's zero chance of him making a SF, let alone a final. Still, he's here in the US Open SF against Del Potro. I'm 51/49 in favour of Del Potro. He deserves another slam and it'd be a great comeback story. Either way, I want an epic five setter. I thought their match-up in the Olympics was a great match, so if it's as enjoyable as that, it's all good.

Usobuko

Banned
I love del potro.

It feels like 2009 again where he was there to stop Federer on ending the year with 3 slams. I hope he goes all the way.

2009 was extraordinary for Federer just like 2017 is.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i think it's better if we all just agree that tennis officially ended on july 16, 2017 to give the sport a graceful and dignified end, instead of whatever this is.

people can still play tennis, of course, but it doesn't count. none of this counts.

Yeah, I agree re: US Open 2009. It was an absolutely atrocious match, very low quality for a final, and Federer really gifted it to Del Potro - and I like Del Potro and dislike Federer, so you know I don't have much incentive to admit that. Obviously a champion has to take the chances they are a given, and Del Potro certainly did, but acting like the 2009 US Open was a heretofore unforeseen pinnacle is not right. Now I've watched the replay of last night's match on the train, it wasn't completely incomparable.

That said, Del Potro is a much better player than Wawrinka and completely and absolutely deserves a second slam. He is been incredibly unfortunate to have had his career so blighted by injury.

All of the Big Four were helped by injury and illness issues, I think. Soderling and Ancic were both 'would-be' slam winners who were forced from the circuit prematurely, and Del Potro's career trajectory was obviously completely derailed.

Soderling, I agree with.

Ancic? Not sure what you smoking with that one. He was never a threat to the big four. He beat Federer once before Fed won Wimbledon and everyone made a big deal about it. His best surface was grass and he was never gonna beat Federer between 03-09, Nadal between 8-11 or Djokovic and Murray between 11-16.

d+pad

I really wonder Nadal will fare against Del Potro. DelPo actually looked pretty fierce in the last set.

It's going to depend on which Nadal and which DelPo shows up. If Nadal is timid and DelPo is fierce, DelPo will win. If Nadal is focused and assertive and DelPo isn't totally on his game, Nadal will win.

I have no idea who'll win if both men are in top form, though XD

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Looks at ladies' semifinals matchups...

GD7ak5C.gif

MIMIC

Banned
Yay Fed's gone ^_^ Couldn't stay up past the tiebreak. Both were shaky throughout so I didn't think there was a clear winner even after the 3rd set.

Nadal's tournament to lose now. He could still lose to del Potro though.

EDIT: They asked Venus about the match she played against Sloane.

Venus's response: idontknowher.gif

IISANDERII

Did we watch different final? USO 2009 was great.

Yeah, Fed could and should've won that, but DelPo was playing better in crucial points.

I still remember those 2 forehands from him that made me a fan.
Agreed. I just watched the extended highlights and it was excellent.

Diamond

Soderling, I agree with.

Ancic? Not sure what you smoking with that one. He was never a threat to the big four. He beat Federer once before Fed won Wimbledon and everyone made a big deal about it. His best surface was grass and he was never gonna beat Federer between 03-09, Nadal between 8-11 or Djokovic and Murray between 11-16.

I'd add that staying healthy and injuries are not pure luck. Calendar management, preventing injuries by your physical training and your game, and coming back when you're hurt are also qualities that make players better than others.

Great win by Stephens, final set was great fun. I think that she played smarter than Venus at the end. Venus was all about hitting hard and searching to win by KO when Stephens made her move, added a little bit of variety here and there and responded well to difficult shots (like the drop shot following the net cord on a very important point).

Top Bottom