• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utah Governor Herbert: I will NOT vote for Donald Trump - reversing endorsement

Status
Not open for further replies.
"With all due respect"

Sounds weird. I don't think Trump deserves any respect. Also, what was that talk about not wanting to "hire" someone. This is an election, not a job application.

Mike Lee's an ass. On another note, is Pence actually allowed to run in Trump's place? Hopefully not because as a moderate he might reinvigorate some Republican voters.

Garlador

I mean the people that put him as the republican candidate only have themselves to blame. This guys isn't just a gold mine of indecent behavior, he's a mountain made of gold with capital T R U M P in gold letters on the side of it. The guy has been saying and doing terrible things publicly for a long time.

How he ever made it this far is beyond me. Guess this whole thing just proves how ignorant the majority of the voting block is and easily manipulated they can be. Future presedential coverages need to do better at live fact checking or better prepared moderation that calls out this stuff. Because when Donald Trump says "wrong" to refute something in front of 100 million people that lasts longer and reaches further than the next week of fact checking does. We can't just let people waltz on stage and spin their own truth to millions of people. And then have news channels dedicated to spinning it furthermore after the fact.

I just can't believe it took Trump to say "grab her by the pussy" before anyone denounced him. As if to say everything before that was acceptable. It's a joke. The republican party is a big fat mess. Sad.

McCain has grown soft over the years, disappointingly, but I will admit outright he was a class act during his campaign against Obama.

McCain Congratulates Obama On His Nomination

McCain Defends Obama from his own supporters.

Say what you will, during this campaign, he had a ton of guts and I did genuinely respect the hell out of him.

It's insane how we went from him to Trump in eight years.

All of that is countered by the fact that he picked Pailin as his running mate and gave credibility to the tea party movement that plagues this country to this day. Dude is spineless. He's responsible for why we went from him to Trump in 8 years. Palin is like the proto-Trump.

mreddie

ltyO03J.gif

Ryan, Cruz, just leave him. You guys will likely win your things, maybe Congress/House will be split again but man, just leave him.

Garlador

All of that is countered by the fact that he picked Pailin as his running mate and gave credibility to the tea party movement that plagues this country to this day. Dude is spineless. He's responsible for why we went from him to Trump in 8 years. Palin is like the proto-Trump.

I disagree (and I disagreed with him picking Palin too). It was obvious a huge political move to nominate the second major female vice presidential candidate to earn votes from female voters (the GOP had had serious problem keeping female voters at that point), and while I don't think she's near the best choice, she still had 16 years of political experience and service at that point and her Tea Party insanity wasn't a thing yet until after her resignation in 2009, while Palin herself was very well-liked among conservatives and especially in Alaska at the time. MANY republicans urged him to pick her as his running mate at the time, and even his own campaign strategists advised him near unanimously to pick her. It was a clear political move to compete with the diversity of Obama's campaign making history that backfired.

Hindsight is 20/20. McCain made a bad call, but we have to remember that Palin was not as bad then as SNL portrayed her to be... but after the election cycle, she grew increasingly more and more unhinged.

I still entirely agree she was a bad pick though.

aeolist

Banned
mccain also fell in line behind bush jr after his campaign insinuated that mccain's adopted bangladeshi daughter was an illegitimate black kid born from an affair

the dude sold out a long time ago, no sympathy for him at all

Garlador

mccain also fell in line behind bush jr after his campaign insinuated that mccain's adopted bangladeshi daughter was an illegitimate black kid born from an affair

the dude sold out a long time ago, no sympathy for him at all

Again, McCain's got problems and has grown less bold over time, but George Bush Jr. himself never went after McCain's kids. The smear campaign was never identified and Bush vehemently denied responsibility and even personally sat McCain down to tell him the attacks were awful and he'd fire anyone who stooped to that level. McCain told him, "don't give me that shit." He implied (but never confirmed) that the ones responsible for the smear attack were Bush adviser Tucker Eskew and Bush political strategist Karl Rove.

... McCain did endorse him, but he also said he had no wish to ever run with him and remained outspoken of the Bush administration for many years, largely saying he felt Bush was still a better pick than Al Gore.

aeolist

Banned
i just don't respect a guy whose every move for the last 20 years has oozed political opportunism, mostly at the expense of his so-called moral code

Garlador

i just don't respect a guy whose every move for the last 20 years has oozed political opportunism, mostly at the expense of his so-called moral code

Not that you're wrong, but that's most politicians.

Hillary Clinton didn't pick Tim Kaine because he's the best choice for the job. It's because he's from a swing state that's important to the election and he can wrangle-up a lot of voters, especially since he prides himself on his bilingual Spanish (as a direct counter to Trump's "Mexicans are rapist" rhetoric).

aeolist

Banned
Not that you're wrong, but that's most politicians.

Hillary Clinton didn't pick Tim Kaine because he's the best choice for the job. It's because he's from a swing state that's important to the election and he can wrangle-up a lot of voters, especially since he prides himself on his bilingual Spanish (as a direct counter to Trump's "Mexicans are rapist" rhetoric).

tim kaine isn't dangerously idiotic, and it's different for mccain because he sells himself as principled and honorable

Garlador

tim kaine isn't dangerously idiotic, and it's different for mccain because he sells himself as principled and honorable

We're getting off track.

The point we can both agree on is McCain needs to rescind his endorsement of a man he's publicly calling indefensible and obscene.

aeolist

Banned
We're getting off track.

The point we can both agree on is McCain needs to rescind his endorsement of a man he's publicly calling indefensible and obscene.

mccain needed to not have endorsed in the first place. he'll still be a sellout after he pulls back from trump, only add cowardly on top because he couldn't do it until the rest of the party decided to lead the way.

Arkeband

Banned
It's not really about that.

Trump crossed the line of being too toxic for them to support. Especially in mormon utah.

You can be racist as hell, hate on religion, on and on, and it doesnt play so well in utah but its still over looked.

Dude says pussy though... thats where shit hits the fan. They have no real choice at this point but to step out or be known for supporting pussy man.

All it takes is for that first domino to fall. That first person. Then its even worse if they still stick on "Well this guy said he can't support pussy man, why do you still support?"

Trump called Cruz a pussy on stage at a rally, though. I guess now he's used it both ways.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/08/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-waterboarding/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom