• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Issun23

I'm working my way through New Game + and so far obtained all weapon upgrades, orders and have all unit types close to max level. Some questions for those who completed the game and played a second time:

I read that there is a report only available during the second playthrough. Is it true?
How many levels of Royal Weapons are there? (You know, those weapons Cordelia awards you in later levels) I have obtained weapons of level 3 so far.

I can't get tired of this game. So many fun things to do when you're overpowered and can afford to just try things out in battles. :lol

comedian

Just saw this on 4chan valkyria chronicles thread, all i can see say is NEED :

1232100655639ao7.jpg

Also, this:

1232098226735lb7.jpg

Is this some horrible fake/photoshoped ?

If this is against forum rule please tell me quickly, dont want to get banned :<

Ice Blue

Why would she be using a rifle instead of that badass lance?

I had a few questions and thoughts about the gameplay mechanics. Hopefully some of you can explain it a bit.

What does HP down actually do? The second FoG Flamethrower does about the same damage as the second FF one (but a decent amount less than the third FF one). I was pretty satisfied with the second FF's damage. I know damage is usually better for that kind of weapon, but if the HP down does extra damage, wouldn't that make up for the damage? I'm guessing it wouldn't.

Also, the third tree for the Machine Gun adds 5 extra ammo per clip. That'd be a theoretical 25% damage boost. But I don't know how damage actually works. I know higher numbers are better, but do 25 shots at 21 "damage stat vs personnel" do more damage than 20 shots at 26 damage? Theoretically, the former would do more damage overall (with more headshot and spread potential on top of that), but that's only if you multiply damage. I'm not sure if that's how it works, though.

If you assume Defense just has a flat damage subtraction per shot, the one that does less but more powerful shots would end up doing more damage against units with higher defense. But I don't really know how damage and defense works either. All I really know about this game is higher numbers are better.

Another confusing thing is how Range is handled on guns without zoom. Like how does upping the range on the Lancer actually do? I mean if I try to shoot someone outside of my range does it just not work? Or does the circle get smaller to actually accommodate the range increase (so you can hit things at a longer range without it veering off course)? I can understand range for Machine Gun and Rifles because they determine the interception range, but the Lancer doesn't have Counterattacks and Interceptions. The thing that makes me ask this is the Royal Lancer has more range (620 instead of 600) but less damage (1000 instead of 1100). Hardly seems worth it.

Benson

I'm up to about chapter 9 so far but I'm finding the pacing to be a little too slow for my liking. The story book style chapters is neat but I find myself after each battle just saving and giving up rather than to read/watch the other parts of the chapter. I've given up reading the personnel and weapons updates which have helped a little.

Does the pacing pick up later on or do I just need to have a little patience?

Ice Blue

Darkpen said:
Snaku: I don't know what to tell ya, bro; you've only got yourself to blame. You would've been fine with either language, but now the big twist is ruined. Personally, I suggest picking it up at a later date, when you've forgotten, and aren't as bothered by the spoiler.

Liabe Brave: I completely agree with everything you said, though I'd note just how much the flamethrower is almost always the only worthwhile close-range attack, making the large clip model kind of useless.
I kinda wish the translation of the game was closer to the Japanese language track for the purposes of subtitles (or have two subtitle tracks). I'd prefer to play it in Japanese, as I know a bit of Japanese and the voices sound a bit better, but I'd still need subtitles as I'm not that good at it, but I'm good enough at it to get bothered when I know what they are saying and what the subtitles say don't match up, like at all.

Also, extra bullets would be useful at medium range, too. I still can't decide between the extra ammo or the extra damage on the MG.

Here's a good one. For the Sniper Rifle, better Aim B with 1200 range 95 damage vs person or Aim C with 1250 range 135 damage vs person? The small bump in Range seems to make the zoom better, which would counteract the larger reticle, but I'm not absolutely sure. The damage buff is pretty significant, especially on crouching targets.

Durante

That Sackgirl design is incredibly awesome. Do want.

Ice Blue said:
Here's a good one. For the Sniper Rifle, better Aim B with 1200 range 95 damage vs person or Aim C with 1250 range 135 damage vs person? The small bump in Range seems to make the zoom better, which would counteract the larger reticle, but I'm not absolutely sure. The damage buff is pretty significant, especially on crouching targets.
I always found better aim more useful in Sniper rifles than range or damage improvements, but YMMV.

Ice Blue

Durante said:
That Sackgirl design is incredibly awesome. Do want.

I always found better aim more useful in Sniper rifles than range or damage improvements, but YMMV.
Doesn't more aim just make the circle smaller? I felt that the circle was smaller relative to the size of the head on the enemy when zoomed in all the way on the GSR-1R vs the GSR-11, despite the GSR-11 having Aim B instead of C.

Maybe on later versions of the normal gun you get range boosts so they get better but the Royal GSR is pretty awesome.

Also, what game is your avatar from?

Ice Blue

Durante said:
Exactly, but it always seemed to me that the circle stays the same size regardless of zoom level.
It does stay the same size, but the size relative to the enemy size is smaller if you can zoom in closer.

Ice Blue said:
I kinda wish the translation of the game was closer to the Japanese language track for the purposes of subtitles (or have two subtitle tracks). I'd prefer to play it in Japanese, as I know a bit of Japanese and the voices sound a bit better, but I'd still need subtitles as I'm not that good at it, but I'm good enough at it to get bothered when I know what they are saying and what the subtitles say don't match up, like at all.

agree, thats something for publishers to work on for future releases. but i realize we wont get real subtitles anytime soon. sadly, i dont think anybody is willing to translate a seperate subtitle track as of yet.

comedian said:

1232100655639ao7.jpg

If this is against forum rule please tell me quickly, dont want to get banned :<

That is incredibly cute. Easy money! DO WANT! But honestly, it's so expensive for these costumes... :(

ianp622

comedian said:

1232100655639ao7.jpg

HOOOOOOOLLLLLYYYYY SHHHIIIIIIITTTT I NEEEEEED THIIIIIISSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

My new avatar soon :)

Snaku

Banned
Darkpen said:
Snaku: I don't know what to tell ya, bro; you've only got yourself to blame. You would've been fine with either language, but now the big twist is ruined. Personally, I suggest picking it up at a later date, when you've forgotten, and aren't as bothered by the spoiler.

I went ahead and picked it up anyway. Trying to put it in the back of my mind, but it's still incredibly disappointing. Didn't know that the spoiler tags didn't work on search post results, and the spoiler was the very first sentence...so it's not like I could stop myself. =/

Played through the prologue, and chapters 1 & 2 last night. This game is awesome. I love the storybook structure of the campaign, and the characters so far are extremely likable. The English dub is also very well done, which is a rarity. It's also a gorgeous game, and the music is just as beautiful. Sucks that I had to wait so long to play this, but I'm glad I finally can.

Anybody picking up the Selvaria figure?

214b3ur.jpg

Ice Blue said:
Why would she be using a rifle instead of that badass lance?

I had a few questions and thoughts about the gameplay mechanics. Hopefully some of you can explain it a bit.

What does HP down actually do? The second FoG Flamethrower does about the same damage as the second FF one (but a decent amount less than the third FF one). I was pretty satisfied with the second FF's damage. I know damage is usually better for that kind of weapon, but if the HP down does extra damage, wouldn't that make up for the damage? I'm guessing it wouldn't.

Also, the third tree for the Machine Gun adds 5 extra ammo per clip. That'd be a theoretical 25% damage boost. But I don't know how damage actually works. I know higher numbers are better, but do 25 shots at 21 "damage stat vs personnel" do more damage than 20 shots at 26 damage? Theoretically, the former would do more damage overall (with more headshot and spread potential on top of that), but that's only if you multiply damage. I'm not sure if that's how it works, though.

If you assume Defense just has a flat damage subtraction per shot, the one that does less but more powerful shots would end up doing more damage against units with higher defense. But I don't really know how damage and defense works either. All I really know about this game is higher numbers are better.

Another confusing thing is how Range is handled on guns without zoom. Like how does upping the range on the Lancer actually do? I mean if I try to shoot someone outside of my range does it just not work? Or does the circle get smaller to actually accommodate the range increase (so you can hit things at a longer range without it veering off course)? I can understand range for Machine Gun and Rifles because they determine the interception range, but the Lancer doesn't have Counterattacks and Interceptions. The thing that makes me ask this is the Royal Lancer has more range (620 instead of 600) but less damage (1000 instead of 1100). Hardly seems worth it.

HP Down is kinda like poison that drains your HP as you move your character around. Rather useless when used against AI.

There was a poster on GameFAQs who did some experimentation with defence values in the game. It was something like, the damage you receive per shot is reduced directly by any modifiers in play. For example, let's say a rifle does 40 damage per shot. Your armour is 10. Your class gives you a defence bonus (scouts get 1, shocktroopers get 10, etc.) Crouching adds another 6. Having orders and potentials active also adds modifiers to reduce the damage you take.

You know how if you try to shoot someone from a huge distance, the damage drops significantly? I think the threshold distance is affected by the range stat.

Ponn

Banned
I finally cleared some backlog, have a couple free days and started playing this for reals. I'm only at chapter 5 but HOLY SHIT this is so facking awesome. Most under hyped game of last year. Shame on you mainstream media!

I'm so lttp but is their any tips anyone can pass on like upgrades or orders that are missable?

Ice Blue

Chrono Helix said:
HP Down is kinda like poison that drains your HP as you move your character around. Rather useless when used against AI.

There was a poster on GameFAQs who did some experimentation with defence values in the game. It was something like, the damage you receive per shot is reduced directly by any modifiers in play. For example, let's say a rifle does 40 damage per shot. Your armour is 10. Your class gives you a defence bonus (scouts get 1, shocktroopers get 10, etc.) Crouching adds another 6. Having orders and potentials active also adds modifiers to reduce the damage you take.

You know how if you try to shoot someone from a huge distance, the damage drops significantly? I think the threshold distance is affected by the range stat.
I think crouching just adds a damage multiplier (0.8) that lowers your overall damage, rather than being a damage subtractor. If it was a subtractor, you could theoretically take no damage just by being a shocktrooper with a lot of army crouching behind something, which makes no sense. Though if you add a Defense Order on a Shocktrooper with a lot of armor, he shouldn't be more than 5 damage per shot against any gun that can do intercept or counterattack.

Ponn01 said:
I finally cleared some backlog, have a couple free days and started playing this for reals. I'm only at chapter 5 but HOLY SHIT this is so facking awesome. Most under hyped game of last year. Shame on you mainstream media!

I'm so lttp but is their any tips anyone can pass on like upgrades or orders that are missable?
None of the buying upgrades are missable. Orders from the Cemetary guy are random, so you'll probably miss some regardless of what you do. They are randomly determined based on what you have access to based on what missions you've completed. One way of cheating the system is after a mission, save the game and talk to him. If he gives you nothing, reload and try again, that might work. What I know does work is if he has something for you and then you reload he'll have something else based on what you have access to.

One thing that is missable is the Aces. In most of the missions (not all) there are named guys called Aces. If you kill them, you get an XP/money bonus at the end of the mission. But more importantly it drops enemy weapons you can equip on your guys. Most of them are useless. Except for the forest sneaking mission (I think 8A), the enemy Rifle is extremely useful on Alicia and Welkin, especially if you want to get the Ace and land an A ranking on that mission.

ianp622

I'm on the last chapter, and I just found out you can walk with the d-pad, just like you can do precise aim with the d-pad. D'oh!

Really useful for defusing mines with engineers.

ianp622

Soon we’ll be announcing a date for the first batch of Valkyria Chronicles downloadable content...

Hopefully this means there will be a second batch.

Everybody that wants the DLC should buy it first day, because those are probably the numbers that SEGA will look at to determine whether Valkyria Chronicles DLC is profitable.

ianp622

Linkzg said:
the only problem I have with this game is that my precious shock troopers are junk on large maps. I wish I could get them to ride on my tank.

You can teleport them between base camps for 2 CP (one to retreat (if you have the order or are within distance of a camp), and one for calling for them at the next camp).

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Durante said:
I was wondering when you'd see it :lol

In fact, I'm playing LBP right now (just got it today) and I'd buy that costume in a heartbeat.

As I told RpgN, I am working on my Undergrad Thesis, so my posting will not be as frequent as before.

When you are reading 50 books and 223 newspaper articles, along with writing 80 pages, all your free time disappears. Hell, I have not even gotten past the battle against Gen. Jaeger.

Not to mention I am busy playing Persona 4 (Naoto's dungeon) and Tales of Vesperia (just went to the Krityan city)

ianp622 said:
You can teleport them between base camps for 2 CP (one to retreat (if you have the order or are within distance of a camp), and one for calling for them at the next camp).

I know, but sometimes the gaps between base camps are really large

Diablos

Ok so during Chapter 14, the battle after you-know-who
******MEGATON OMG (no, seriously, you dumbass, stop highlighting) shoots Alicia******
, WTF WERE THEY THINKING WHEN THEY DESGINED THIS LEVEL

<Sega> Hay guys we gotta save the rest of the cool battles for the end so like just put two tanks on both sides of the map, then have the same five or so dudes respawn every turn to fuck their game up, lolol.

What a stupid ass level. All you have to do is run to both sides with a lancer and/or tank, have a scout occupy the base, and it's over in like five minutes.

gokieks

Diablos said:
Ok so during Chapter 14, the battle after you-know-who
******MEGATON OMG (no, seriously, you dumbass, stop highlighting) shoots Alicia******
, WTF WERE THEY THINKING WHEN THEY DESGINED THIS LEVEL

<Sega> Hay guys we gotta save the rest of the cool battles for the end so like just put two tanks on both sides of the map, then have the same five or so dudes respawn every turn to fuck their game up, lolol.

What a stupid ass level. All you have to do is run to both sides with a lancer and/or tank, have a scout occupy the base, and it's over in like five minutes.

You can do the mission in two very distinctively different ways (
"cheat" and have a Lancer/Tank at each spawn point before capturing the base, or walking into the trap and then fight your way out against huge odds, the latter of which is very rewarding, even if you don't necessarily get a great rank
). I fail to see why that's a bad thing.

And yeah... I'm not sure if I'd be pointing to that Saber figure as paragon of quality - the face looks just about nothing like her. This, on the other hand, is amazing:

2008Aug11154639_257.jpg

(Mine should be here within a week!)

While I agree that the face looks nothing like Saber, I really like the style. It's different. And I really like the detail in the armor. So shiny, so nice.

Gokieks, that one is definitely a nice quality figure. The details are amazing! I passed on it though, since there wasn't as much drama in it as most of my other figures (Like the Shuraki series).

Honestly, GSC is THE company to go to when making figures. Red Entertainment knew that when they worked with Sega on this. Why couldn't they have pulled some strings?!

Anyway, enough complaining about low quality figures. Back on topic.

Chapter 14 and the
infinite reinforcements
really caught me by surprise. I kinda expected something like that would happen, but not to that degree. I lost over half of my force in one turn because they were all in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Kagari said:
HOLY CRAP! Is that Valkyria LBP costume REAL?
No, it's just a good Photoshop. The Imperial costume parts are clearly cel-shaded artwork, not a render like the rest of the sackgirl. And you can really see the cloning on the hair. It was clever of them to tone down the bustline, though; makes it more believably cute.

jsrv

If it's fake, referring to the Selvaria costume, then it probably is a photoshop of the Nariko costume image that was released by Media Molecule (Google something like "nariko lbp" and check under images). They look pretty close, fine details aside

Boulayman

gokieks said:
You can do the mission in two very distinctively different ways (
"cheat" and have a Lancer/Tank at each spawn point before capturing the base, or walking into the trap and then fight your way out against huge odds, the latter of which is very rewarding, even if you don't necessarily get a great rank
). I fail to see why that's a bad thing.

And yeah... I'm not sure if I'd be pointing to that Saber figure as paragon of quality - the face looks just about nothing like her. This, on the other hand, is amazing:

2008Aug11154639_257.jpg

(Mine should be here within a week!)

I agree that Saber's figurine isn't great, her face doesn't look like her, but yours is very very impressive. But I need ask: from what anime is it ?

kiryogi

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
Honestly, GSC is THE company to go to when making figures. Red Entertainment knew that when they worked with Sega on this. Why couldn't they have pulled some strings?!

Almost, but IMO, I think Alter pulls off the best looking ones. GSC/Max Factory/Kotobukiya after that. That said, yeah, I'm not a big fan of Selvaria herself, but that isn't a very good figure.

Top Bottom