• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

zurra

here is the official version of the TAF trailer. it's not loading for me at work for some reason, hopefully you guys and gals have better luck.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Ugh what the fuck. This damn tanks rear cannon range is ridiculous. In the briefing the range was really small so how can it shoot my tank half way across the map with perfect accuracy every shot? I was surviving even against that but when the reinforcements came their lancer took out eldewiess. :( Must have played more than an hour. Is there a diagram of its real cannon range?

Picked up this game a couple days ago and I really like it. There are some complaints however. I'll just list it in positives and negatives.

Negative:
- The ratio between cutscenes and gameplay slants too much to cutscenes.
- Stuff like the pig and characters acting stupid.

Positive:
+ Awesome gameplay.
+ I do like the anime artstyle.
+ Character cameos from SoA. :)

Hopefully VC 2 is made, and with less cutscenes and "anime storytelling." They already have the engine so it shouldn't cost too much.

Quixzlizx

superbank said:
Ugh what the fuck. This damn tanks rear cannon range is ridiculous. In the briefing the range was really small so how can it shoot my tank half way across the map with perfect accuracy every shot? I was surviving even against that but when the reinforcements came their lancer took out eldewiess. :( Must have played more than an hour. Is there a diagram of its real cannon range?

This isn't really a strategy spoiler, but just in case nobody wants to read it:

Unless you get one-shotted because you left your radiator exposed, the Edelweiss should never be close to dying. Always keep an engineer next to it, since an engineer can heal 1000 hp with 1 CP by using his/her repair tool. It's not like CPs are scarce during that mission.

vag 2.0

Hcoregamer00 said:
I take it you were never there during the days of the 32x, Sega CD, and the Sega Saturn.

Well, yeah, I guess.

Though I'll defend the SCD, Sonic CD; Snatcher, the better-than-arcade version of Final Fight. That's good enough for me.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
vag 2.0 said:
Well, yeah, I guess.

Though I'll defend the SCD, Sonic CD; Snatcher, the better-than-arcade version of Final Fight. That's good enough for me.

Don't forget the best versions of Lunar.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Quixzlizx said:
This isn't really a strategy spoiler, but just in case nobody wants to read it:

Unless you get one-shotted because you left your radiator exposed, the Edelweiss should never be close to dying. Always keep an engineer next to it, since an engineer can heal 1000 hp with 1 CP by using his/her repair tool. It's not like CPs are scarce during that mission.

Yeah I didn't have an engineer and have never used one to fix the tank. I'll do that next time. I figured I could survive the mission by avoiding tank fire but the damn thing was getting crazy shots on me.

zurra said:
here is the official version of the TAF trailer. it's not loading for me at work for some reason, hopefully you guys and gals have better luck.

Okay. They're using the music from the game. That in itself has me interested. My wife never got the chance to watch the plot when I was playing, and I really want her to. This may be a good answer, as it looks like it also follows the game plot closely.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't get the original voice actors though...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
Okay. They're using the music from the game. That in itself has me interested. My wife never got the chance to watch the plot when I was playing, and I really want her to. This may be a good answer, as it looks like it also follows the game plot closely.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't get the original voice actors though...

Aww.....no Lelouch?

:(

zurra

radiantdreamer said:
Yeah... it's just one disappointment after another...
What are you talking about? I'm looking at the Cast & Staff page at the anime's official site and it's all the original cast except Largo and Rosie, at least for main crew. A lot of the supporting cast may not be returning, but who knows yet.

I spotted Marina in the trailer! Yay!

Woohoo, and done! Great f'ing game. Loved every minute of it.

Demon's Souls showed up in my mailbox the same day I finished VC. The gaming gods love me right now.

gokieks

The website for VC anime has listed Fukuyama Jun, along with Inoue Marina, (and possibly Welkin's VA whose name escapes me) ever since it was opened, so I don't know where you people are getting the idea that they're changing VAs.

zurra said:
What are you talking about? I'm looking at the Cast & Staff page at the anime's official site and it's all the original cast except Largo and Rosie, at least for main crew. A lot of the supporting cast may not be returning, but who knows yet.

Oh I wasn't paying attention to the VA names, because I can't read Japanese. They sound vastly different to me. Welkin's voice sounds deeper, as does Alicia's.

And no Lelouche is a disappointment, no matter how you cut it.

zurra

radiantdreamer said:
Oh I wasn't paying attention to the VA names, because I can't read Japanese. They sound vastly different to me. Welkin's voice sounds deeper, as does Alicia's.

But there is Lelouch, so no disappointment to be had! Can't comment on the others since I played the game in English, but I don't like what I've heard as much as the English version. Jun Fukuyama will undoubtedly steal the show.

gokieks

radiantdreamer said:

I can see them asking him to sound a little less like Lelouch (since some parts of the game, such as when Maximilian is giving Orders, sounds like it was taken straight from Code Geass, which is hilarious but would probably detract from the anime if everyone thought it was Lelouch), but the VA is definitely the same.

Darkpen

Banned
zurra said:

where?! :O

By the way, guys, I came across this earlier while browsing around. I don't know if its been posted in the thread before, but it looks like an interesting read! Its Hitoshi Sakimoto's liner notes on making the music for Valkyria Chronicles! :O

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=1122

gokieks said:
I can see them asking him to sound a little less like Lelouch (since some parts of the game, such as when Maximilian is giving Orders, sounds like it was taken straight from Code Geass, which is hilarious but would probably detract from the anime if everyone thought it was Lelouch), but the VA is definitely the same.

Then I am happy to be corrected. That's awesome news to my ears if all the VAs are the same. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for this one. And I'm gonna FORCE my wife to watch it, mwahahahaha.

Darkpen said:

By the way, guys, I came across this earlier while browsing around. I don't know if its been posted in the thread before, but it looks like an interesting read! Its Hitoshi Sakimoto's liner notes on making the music for Valkyria Chronicles! :O

Quite a good article!

I decided to listen to those pieces as I read, and I must say, it does bring forth some strong emotions, especially having played the game and understanding the story of where these pieces were used. I can understand why music makes people cry sometimes.

zurra

Darkpen said:

She was near the end, holding Hans. Some text partially covered her head. Susie and Alex were in that part too, I believe.

Nice link, gotta check that out this evening when I have the music on-hand! It's always a treat to hear the composer's thoughts on the songs that have a big impact on the tone of the game.

lupin23rd

Finally got back into the game this past week (did up to chapter 12 over the Christmas break) and finished it up tonight.

Took me 39 hours but I enjoyed every minute of it. Probably won't be doing a replay unless trophies show up (I want them but hope they don't... my backlog is terrible but I WILL replay for this :lol) but will definitely be there day 1 on the DLC.

Only real complaint was that I really wanted to
control Alicia when she turns into psycho Valkyrie
but this is partially remedied by
the apparent ability to control Selvaria as psycho Valkyrie in the DLC?

mjc

Are the promotional art books for this game rare? I got two of them when I picked up my copy when the game came out.

Baha

mjc said:
Are the promotional art books for this game rare? I got two of them when I picked up my copy when the game came out.

I guess they are, I wish I received one but EB didn't get their shipment early like everybody else so I bought a copy elsewhere.

Baha

henhowc said:
Just thought I'd bump this thread. Apparently Gamestop will be selling this for 29.99. No reason for me not to buy it now. :)

Is that a US-only deal? I'll double-dip if it's also Canadian.

Don't think it's the same, according to my sources.

I've noticed an increase supply of VC in various places now too. I wonder if they did do a second print then... $29.99 is an excellent deal for an already excellent game. It's still worth full price IMO.

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
Don't think it's the same, according to my sources.

I've noticed an increase supply of VC in various places now too. I wonder if they did do a second print then... $29.99 is an excellent deal for an already excellent game. It's still worth full price IMO.

That is probably what is going on.

A second print run of VC coupled with a price drop, since it did not sell enough to warrant a "greatest hits."

Put your money where your mouth is my friends, buy a copy of VC and give it to a friend.

Baha

Seems there is a Gamers Days at EB up north but it starts tomorrow and is only up to 50% off used games. There's probably some other deals but the rep I spoke to seemed pretty clueless.

Mii

Banned
henhowc said:
Just thought I'd bump this thread. Apparently Gamestop will be selling this for 29.99. No reason for me not to buy it now. :)

If you want it for $30 from Gamestop.com , go NOWNOWNOW.

I just purchased a copy for myself. I've been wanting to get in on this game since I tried it earlier.

Mii said:
If you want it for $30 from Gamestop.com , go NOWNOWNOW.

I just purchased a copy for myself. I've been wanting to get in on this game since I tried it earlier.

Done. Said I'd wait till the price was right ($40), and pulled the trigger when it was even better. Should be here in a few days. :)

Can't beat $29. :lol Excited.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Put your money where your mouth is my friends, buy a copy of VC and give it to a friend.

That's actually a pretty good idea... if I wasn't unemployed right now! Oh well, no matter. I convinced everyone around me to buy it already. :p

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Same. Started this just yesterday, and I'm about to hit Chapter 3.

It's been sitting on my shelf for months, along with it's SRPG arch-rival Disgaea 3. I wasn't sure which to start first, but so far I get the feeling I made the right choice.

Hcoregamer00

Enjoy the cheap price because this is a promotional to get people in the stores to buy a DSi.

Once it is over the game will be back to $60.

Why do we still not know when the DLC release date for this is? Bit stupid after generating the hype with the guessing game and "announcing" it when we already knew what was coming :S

Hcoregamer00

SecretBonusPoint said:
Why do we still not know when the DLC release date for this is? Bit stupid after generating the hype with the guessing game and "announcing" it when we already knew what was coming :S

Even then, it doesn't seem to be worth the cost except for the Selvaria DLC.

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
Even then, it doesn't seem to be worth the cost except for the Selvaria DLC.

Are you implying that you won't be buying it all? That would be a ValkyriaGAF scandal of the highest order.

Syntek said:
http://miku.sega.jp/

For fans of Valkyria, Sega is adding Alicia cosplay for Miku
mikualicia.jpg

Sudden craving for PSP Valkyria. Wonder if Sega ever forgave Sony for showing Valkyria as an upcoming PSP game in a conference reel :lol Harsh! But mmm, portable Valkyria. I think it'd do really well at least in Japan. Surprised we havent seen a Yakuza PSP as well.

I'll be after the Edy and Selvaria packs (bit dumb the Hard mode being a pack of its own). Hope theyre priced reasonably, especially the Edy one as its like one mission I think? Still, game deserves my support but leaving it so late after the games original release for DLC seems like a big mistake unless theyre doing a limited extra copy reprint for when it hits?

Hcoregamer00

SecretBonusPoint said:
Sudden craving for PSP Valkyria. Wonder if Sega ever forgave Sony for showing Valkyria as an upcoming PSP game in a conference reel :lol Harsh! But mmm, portable Valkyria. I think it'd do really well at least in Japan. Surprised we havent seen a Yakuza PSP as well.

I'll be after the Edy and Selvaria packs (bit dumb the Hard mode being a pack of its own). Hope theyre priced reasonably, especially the Edy one as its like one mission I think? Still, game deserves my support but leaving it so late after the games original release for DLC seems like a big mistake unless theyre doing a limited extra copy reprint for when it hits?

I wouldn't be that shocked if they are doing a smaller second reprint somewhere down the line when the DLC packs are released.

I would have sanguine hopes for a PSP Valkyria, but the future of the franchise is a question mark.

Baha

The_Inquisitor said:
Alright heading into first battle.

I turned on the Japanese voices w/ subtitles. The subtitles are the translation of the Japanese dub right?

Unfortunately no, they are the English dub subtitles. Yet, if you've watched enough anime or played games before with Japanese language tracks, you should be able to pick up the subtle or major differences.

Top Bottom