• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

RpgN

HAHAHAHAHA!

I don't know if I should laugh or cry about what happenend.

So I called the shop where I pre-ordered the game again, and they said they don't have it. You know I just gave them my middle finger by cancelling my pre-order. They shouldn't get a cent for such a treatment. So I called a different shop that I usually don't like (because of higher prices, about 5 euro) and they have it! Okay, I'm going to pay more, but I don't care anymore. So I'm off to get the game :D Once I'm back, I'll make sure to take a picture with my lovely game, since it's a special day :lol See you later!

RpgN

Look at my baby:

img3748qb4.jpg

Wonderful, isn't it?

I still haven't tried the game out, so you won't be seeing me for a few hours :D Adios!

Dragon

Banned
Gamestop better have this game on the 4th or I'm going to bitch like no one's business :lol I think I was the only one that preordered.

matmanx1

I'm betting Gamestop wont actually have it until the 5th. It isnt high profile enough to get early shipment and street dated. I know for a fact Resistance 2 is already in and waiting for the 4th so that's one good thing but getting Valkyria Chronicles on the same day would make me very happy indeed.:D

RobertM

RpgN said:
Look at my baby:

Wonderful, isn't it?

I still haven't tried the game out, so you won't be seeing me for a few hours :D Adios!
I see two of them :p j/k. I need a tactical fix so its this or End War, choices choices.

matmanx1 said:
I'm betting Gamestop wont actually have it until the 5th. It isnt high profile enough to get early shipment and street dated. I know for a fact Resistance 2 is already in and waiting for the 4th so that's one good thing but getting Valkyria Chronicles on the same day would make me very happy indeed.:D

I don't think anyone expected this to come in on the 4th. I'll happily pick it up on post-election day.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RpgN said:
Look at my baby:

img3748qb4.jpg

Wonderful, isn't it?

Lucky punk, oh well.

5 more days for us (because we are not getting in on the 4th)

RpgN

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Be sure to give detailed impressions. :)

Okay, though I have played for about 50 minutes and haven't started with chapter 2 yet.

-Loading is surprisingly pretty quick and I haven't even done the installation thing. I don't think I need to. Better save space for MGS4 on Tuesday :)
-The graphics as stated are very beautiful and a joy to look at. Though I did encounter a few screentearing here and there, nothing serious. I would have loved not to see one at all, but you can't have all.
- The English dub is not bad. Above average, I didn't hear any horrible voice yet. It's not amazing, but definitely good. I haven't listened to the Japanese dub yet.
-As stated before, the book menu is a very nice idea. You can see all the cutscenes again if you wish. Each chapter has a few subchapters. Not all of them contain missions.
-The story is better than I thought and I didn't expect to see people getting killed.
-I have only played 2 missions, the tutorial from the demo and a different one. I only had Alicia, Welkin (or should I say Welkies?) and a town watcher. The gameplay is just like the demo so far. I hope to play more before talking about the gameplay in detail.

All in all, it's a good game just as expected. Go ahead and get it.

rykomatsu said:
To the person who posted their photo on gaf...i would like to refer you to this thread :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340455

:(

You guys are nice enough not to do this to me, right? I mean, I was just very excited. Please?

RobertM said:
I see two of them :p j/k. I need a tactical fix so its this or End War, choices choices.

Haha, very funny. At least I got the game ;) If I had to make a choice, it would definitely be VC but you know that by now :D

Farnack said:
Well, at least she isn't doing something stupid, like self-inflation.

Thank you! People can have mercy on me :D

Hcoregamer00 said:
Lucky punk, oh well.

5 more days for us (because we are not getting in on the 4th)

:D

I'm sorry. You'll get it in time.

And what do you mean? Why won't you get it on 4 November?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The game should've only had one temporary save slot for during missions. Now it's way too tempting to reload after missing a sniper/lancer shot.

Volcynika

*shakes fist at Rpgn* I'll have the game soon, you people and your taunting! :p

Buuuuuuuut, I do have those three tests this coming week. Oh well!

ianp622

RpgN said:
:(

You guys are nice enough not to do this to me, right? I mean, I was just very excited. Please?

As someone else said, you're not distorting your face in any way. Besides, there are tons of pictures in the general discussion thread of members. Plus you're cute, if you don't mind my saying.

Well, even if you do mind, it's on the Internet now. No turning back.

What kind of ratings have you been getting for the missions? Do you feel like there's a lot of room to improve your strategy, or is an "A" score almost impossible?

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
:D

I'm sorry. You'll get it in time.

And what do you mean? Why won't you get it on 4 November?

Oh, that is because in the USA games are "released" on Tuesday. In reality, they are actually shipped from the company's warehouse on Tuesday. Only larger games tend to have large shipments before the official release date, and those generally have labels all over them that say don't sell until MM/DD/YYYY.

That means in the States, the game arrives in stores on Wednesday or Thursday, depending on the distance from the main warehouse and the logistical planning of the publisher.

Raytow

Tempy said:
The game should've only had one temporary save slot for during missions. Now it's way too tempting to reload after missing a sniper/lancer shot.
The loading time seems like a good deterrent to that.

maskrider

Still waiting for the delivery of my UK version at cd-wow.com, playing Japanese Selvaria episode and cleared it, quite hard the first time playing. I can use Ruhm with Group 7 (no sure if it is related to killing the ace).

BTW, an extra mission is unlocked after clearing the first time.

RpgN

Volcynika said:
*shakes fist at Rpgn* I'll have the game soon, you people and your taunting! :p

Buuuuuuuut, I do have those three tests this coming week. Oh well!

We're doing it for your own good. You'll thank us later :lol

ianp622 said:
As someone else said, you're not distorting your face in any way. Besides, there are tons of pictures in the general discussion thread of members. Plus you're cute, if you don't mind my saying.

Well, even if you do mind, it's on the Internet now. No turning back.

What kind of ratings have you been getting for the missions? Do you feel like there's a lot of room to improve your strategy, or is an "A" score almost impossible?

I'm glad to hear this. And no, I don't mind. At least you're being a gentleman. You have no idea how some behave...I feel sad for that guy though, I hope he isn't affected emotionly too much.

Let's see...I've had 3 missions, 2 Bs and 1 C.

We first thought (gaf) that your rate depends on how fast you finish your mission. It still affects your rate, but it's not the only one. For instance, you get bonus points for defeating leaders or tanks etc. There was a mission where I couldn't defeat a tank and had to retreat. I got a C for 4 turns. Then I got a new mission where I got my new tank and had to defend a gate. I destroyed 1 tank, 2 leaders and took 4 turns. That got me a B. I say it's possible to get a higher rate, you're going to have to use 1 NPC often and take risks. It would be easier if you can retry a mission with new troops/tanks added, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Oh, that is because in the USA games are "released" on Tuesday. In reality, they are actually shipped from the company's warehouse on Tuesday. Only larger games tend to have large shipments before the official release date, and those generally have labels all over them that say don't sell until MM/DD/YYYY.

That means in the States, the game arrives in stores on Wednesday or Thursday, depending on the distance from the main warehouse and the logistical planning of the publisher.

I see. That does suck. Be strong, everything will be alright.

maskrider said:
Still waiting for the delivery of my UK version at cd-wow.com, playing Japanese Selvaria episode and cleared it, quite hard the first time playing. I can use Ruhm with Group 7 (no sure if it is related to killing the ace).

Which country are you from? If you're outside of England, this might turn bad for you. I don't have a good experience with cd-wow. I hope that was just me and you'll get the game soon.

Durante

Tempy said:
I didn't even figure out that it's possible to save during battles until chapter 9 or so :lol
But as someone else said, even my OCD doesn't go so far as to save before each move and sit through the reload when something goes wrong.

ianp622 said:
I also wonder how people are doing in that regard. I do manage to get the occasional A, but on average I get Bs or Cs, and I even got a D in one mission.

Hcoregamer00

maskrider said:

Nice, can you give more detailed (spoiler free) impressions on the Selvaria DLC?

Lain

I'm surprised by how good the English dub is. The demo left me "neutral" about it, but it was just normal mission briefing stuff, so it seemed sort of normal to me. The actual story dialogue is pretty well acted (at least just until the second battle, haven't played more).

This game is really an eye pleaser (altho I noticed something that annoyed me a little, something popping in and out on the trees during one of the cutscenes, but it was pretty minor).
Once in a while it is good to be an European gamer ^^

Baha

Durante said:
1UP review is up:
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171060&p=37

A-

"But, honestly, this is so innovative and so polished a game that if you pass it up, the real moron is you."

They said basically the same thing I did in the first post, but more rude :lol

(I didn't expect them to like it)

And the wait grows harder with every passing day. I'll have to rely on eb games for decent release date since this game doesn't exist in any directory of any of the major retailers near me. Ironically, this will be my 1st 'next-gen' rpg and it is set to exceed my expectations in every way.

1up review said:
I like anime as much as the next guy, and Valkyria Chronicles' beautiful artwork kept me enthralled longer than most games would, but even Otaku McLolicon, PhD, would balk at the amount of talking-head watching you're obliged to do here.

Emphasis mine. :lol

Durante

BobJustBob said:
Like the user reviews on the site, I disagree. I think the cutscene/gameplay ratio is perfect (like so much else in this game).

Perhaps I should make a thread like "1UP calls most GAFers morons" so that this gets the attention it deserves, usually GAF is all over 1UP reviews.

rykomatsu

BobJustBob said:

uh...the Otaku part i can understand...but loli? The only loli is gunther's sister and even then, it's nothing to even be remotely considered loli...
well there is another one but i don't think anyone got their jollies off of her...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Doc Evils said:
got it yesterday. took shit pics because I came late from work and couln't be bothered to use my dslr.

r0583t.jpg

nice to see more 3rd party doing inside art on PS3 blu-ray discs just like Sony's first party games ( last 3rd party with inside art was Bioshock ) , PS3 cases are already the best tho with or without inside art .

Durante

rykomatsu said:
uh...the Otaku part i can understand...but loli? The only loli is gunther's sister and even then, it's nothing to even be remotely considered loli...
With Gunther's sister do you mean Isara? Because she's 16 so not at all a loli. The only somewhat genuine loli in the game is Aisha, and she's just one of the random recruits. But I've given up the fight to make people use the word "loli" correctly a long time ago.

I am in love with this game after last night. Put in about an hour and I've only done 2 levels, but everything is brilliant. The cut-scenes are so enjoyable to watch. I'm liking how the story is progressing and the characters are great too.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
1UP review is up:
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171060&p=37

A-

"But, honestly, this is so innovative and so polished a game that if you pass it up, the real moron is you."

They said basically the same thing I did in the first post, but more rude :lol

(I didn't expect them to like it)

Fascinating, a good review.

Durante said:
With Gunther's sister do you mean Isara? Because she's 16 so not at all a loli. The only somewhat genuine loli in the game is Aisha, and she's just one of the random recruits. But I've given up the fight to make people use the word "loli" correctly a long time ago.

There is nothing loli about Isara, she is flat but remember this.

She is the same age as Tear and Rita from the tales games.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Geebus Battle of Barious. So with one CP left I trigger the reinforcements. When the enemies get their turn they have like 20 CP and proceed to waltz over my forces.

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
There is nothing loli about Isara
I think that's what I said?

Anyway, I'm a bit further into the game again, and some of the story is darker than I expected.
They are not afraid to kill off cute little girls to drive home a point about racism.

Tempy said:
Geebus Battle of Barious. So with one CP left I trigger the reinforcements. When the enemies get their turn they have like 20 CP and proceed to waltz over my forces.
Yeah, that was when I made my "this game is not easy" post. I lost 4 or so units in that turn (but still managed to win the battle).
Selvaria went through my forces like a hot knife through butter, and then during my own turn she sprays anything that moves into a 1/2 battlefield radious around her :lol

rykomatsu

Tempy said:

was barious chapter 7?

i have to say this again...the ability to go to any of the cut scenes that you've seen whenever you want is a really great feature...i don't have to repeatedly save and try to remember which cutscene each save was prior to...

Top Bottom