• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Koren

painey said:
but Im a little worried about Tank warfare, as I didnt even move my Tank in the first battle and Im wondering do you have to have a tank in every fight, because I enjoy the soldier aspect more.
So do I. Fortunately, you don't need the tank at all. You may have to move it so that the ennemy don't destroy it, but that's all.

Still, you'll receive later something for the tank that could be useful in very specific cases, but it shouldn't bother you much, it's pretty interesting from a soldier point of view, actually.

I've been playing this for the past week and it is much harder than your typical SRPG but I'm loving it. I kept getting D's on my mission clearances until I resorted to an FAQ and got my first A, but the funny thing is I enjoyed the battles more when I got D grades instead of the A because I enjoy using all my soldiers and strategically placing them at their most effective spots as opposed to the run and gun approach that the faq's recommended.

Aru

I'm on the last chapter, I think I'll finish the game tomorrow.

Such an awesome game :D I expected something good, but not THAT good.

Best PS3 game and best current generation game yet for me.

I write down every game that I finish (finish = see the ending or something like that depending on the genre, not getting 100% of the content) in a document and rank them.
I'm hesitating a bit bitween 9 and 10 :p

The last battles and the ending will surely help me in my choice :)

My only complain about the game is that it's sometimes really frustrating because of the AI, but the game is very very rewarding. So it compensates the frustration :lol

It's often me that does crazy things and says after: "OH CRAP I SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THIS" :p

Alidar

Neo Member
I'm finally getting around to the DLC, since I concentrated on finishing Demon's Souls before moving on to other content. I started with the Edy mission. (If this were any other game I'd raise an objection over getting just one mission for $5, but since it's Valkyria Chronicles I oddly didn't mind.) I got done with the first "part" of it before I had to save and get stuff done, but so far so good, and seemingly a little more challenging than the main game was. It's nice to see a few optional characters get the spotlight, and I've forgotten how much I love Jann. Susie's face looked a little off in the dialogue, almost seemed stoned, but I guess I just wasn't used to seeing her close up.

I'm loving this so far. Very challenging, hardest for me being battle in the desert. The artstyle just gets works for me. Story is a step above standard JRPG fare so far. So much to keep track of, but when it works, it's so satisfying. I don't think i'm that far in, but i can already tell i want this series to keep going. A sequel announced at E3 would be great. Hopefully the game gets the sales it deserves, pretty encouraging sales in Media Create and Amazon.

By the way, i'm having difficulty getting better than a C in skirmishes. I read that the quicker a map is cleared, the better the rank. I'm guessing i need to go back and replay the skirmishes after leveling up/with better equipment to get a better rank?

velvet_nitemare said:
I'm loving this so far. Very challenging, hardest for me being battle in the desert. The artstyle just gets works for me. Story is a step above standard JRPG fare so far. So much to keep track of, but when it works, it's so satisfying. I don't think i'm that far in, but i can already tell i want this series to keep going. A sequel announced at E3 would be great. Hopefully the game gets the sales it deserves, pretty encouraging sales in Media Create and Amazon.

By the way, i'm having difficulty getting better than a C in skirmishes. I read that the quicker a map is cleared, the better the rank. I'm guessing i need to go back and replay the skirmishes after leveling up/with better equipment to get a better rank?

Yeh, the least amount of turns you make, the better. Each map has a certain ranking in regards to the turns you use. ie I think the first skirmish battle is two turns for S rank im not sure.

pseudocaesar said:
Yeh, the least amount of turns you make, the better. Each map has a certain ranking in regards to the turns you use. ie I think the first skirmish battle is two turns for S rank im not sure.

There is no S rank, A is the highest. Spamming scouts is the key to finishing stages really quickly. A lot of stages Alicia can finish off in one turn if you're strategic about it.

Darkpen

Banned
Chrono Helix said:
I'd be most interested in the 'I wish I could fly and drop grenades on their heads' line from ep 2.
You mean in terms of how accurately the line's been translated, or in terms of what it means and the game itself? D:

plane lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Darkpen said:
You mean in terms of how accurately the line's been translated, or in terms of what it means and the game itself? D:

plane lol

Planes would have made Valkyria a more interesting game.

Wehrwolf said:
Maybe he's playing the JPN one? (US one replaced the JPN S ranks as A ranks)

You've confused me lol. Im not sure what mine is (Its Australian), maybe I hit S as a typo haha, il check in a minute.

Edit: Yeh it was a typo :lol , I just A ranked the first skirmish.

Aru

I'm fighting against the last boss.

>_<

He's really annoying.

I'm still searching a way to defeat him.

So far I managed to
put him in angry mode
in 1 turn...

Aru

Speevy said:
Anyone ever risked all to achieve a certain goal, then realize the operation wasn't complete?

:lol

It happened a few times to me :/
Then I realize that it would be too easy if we only had to do "that" :lol

Anyway, F**K that last boss >_<

Darkpen

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Planes would have made Valkyria a more interesting game.
I can only imagine them being like an Order only move, but maybe w/ health, stats, and other features, but not directly controllable.

Aru said:
I'm fighting against the last boss.

>_<

He's really annoying.

I'm still searching a way to defeat him.

So far I managed to
put him in angry mode
in 1 turn...
its possible to do 1 turn.

Haunted

painey said:
Is there only 1 mission per chapter? I've just got to chapter 5 and it's been that way so far
Sometimes they're split into two parts, but generally it's 1 mission per chapter, yes.

Aru

Darkpen said:
I can only imagine them being like an Order only move, but maybe w/ health, stats, and other features, but not directly controllable.

its possible to do 1 turn.

I read that A rank is
3 turns
, so yeah, why not 1 turn ?
But I didn't do any skirmish mission, so basically my team is at level 12.

Should I level up ?

Darkpen

Banned
Aru said:
I read that A rank is
3 turns
, so yeah, why not 1 turn ?
But I didn't do any skirmish mission, so basically my team is at level 12.

Should I level up ?
hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm

Level 12, huh.

Okay, so you manage to get him angry? Here's a strategy, and its totally up to you to try:

Fill all 4 top slots w/ Shocktroopers, with Rosie being in the top row, either column. Put one or two snipers with the longest ranged rifle/damage behind the bunkers. How many you use depends on how you feel. Fill the rest of the back slots with at least one engineer and obviously Alicia and Largo. You might end up having to skimp on the engineer if you use 2 snipers.

For your turn, you want to use the sniper to take out the power source in the far back. A well placed shot will take it out in 1, not 2. Use the shocktroopers you had in the second row destroy the towers, and when they finish destroying those, either have them run up to Maximillian, or have them hide behind where the cover that's hiding the first row. If all 3 sources are destroyed, they can more or less safely run up to Max w/o dying.

Now, either have them all lined up and fire at his head ever time, or get closer and use a flamethrower on either his head or body. I tend to aim at his head. Depends on how you went about with your flamethrower/machine gun upgrades.

Using the 3 troopers, get him angry, and then its time to use Rosie. Now, if you so dare, you could have used Rosie along with the 3, just to cover at least some ground and use a turn as well, but here's where it gets tricky.

With Max all the way at the back, and two live turrets on the way, with Max firing as well, you're gonna want to send Rosie with Caution, and send her all the way to the back where Max is. If you're lucky, you might not even need to use Caution, but don't be afraid to use an order to heal Rosie. I hope you got Rosie the VB W2 or whatever its called from her story report.

If you find that this strategy doesn't work, you'll want to bring 2 Lancers, because the only way to take down the second set of power sources are by rocketing them.

I gotta say a big thank you to GAF, and in particular one memeber (who is currently banned) for pushing this game so hard.

I don't play RPGs at all, but I downloaded the demo, and went and picked this up for $60AU last week and I love it.

Great game.

Bought this and Blue Dragon, and I love them both.

Speevy

Banned
I just beat
The Desert

It's the first battle that took me three or four times to beat, all the others I beat on the first try.

What I did:
Took out the ground troops up front with sniper fire and shock troopers, then I slowly but surely picked off all three tanks. After that, I rode my tank into the enemy's second base and mortar fired the 8 or so snipers that were down there. After that, I let Alicia into the battle and yay, a use for scouts finally.

hitmon

My PS3 just froze during the battle in Chapter 18... Now it won't even launch discs. :( I feel like I'm never going to finish this game. Anybody else run into this problem after saving over an original save with a 2.70 firmware save?

Darkpen

Banned
Speevy said:
I just beat
The Desert

It's the first battle that took me three or four times to beat, all the others I beat on the first try.

What I did:
Took out the ground troops up front with sniper fire and shock troopers, then I slowly but surely picked off all three tanks. After that, I rode my tank into the enemy's second base and mortar fired the 8 or so snipers that were down there. After that, I let Alicia into the battle and yay, a use for scouts finally.
Scouts are way more useful in the game, what are you talking about D:

hitmon said:
My PS3 just froze during the battle in Chapter 18... Now it won't even launch discs. :( I feel like I'm never going to finish this game. Anybody else run into this problem after saving over an original save with a 2.70 firmware save?
that sucks, bro. Not sure if I've read anyone expressing that complaint in the thread, though. I think your PS3 just borked.

Speevy said:
I just beat
The Desert

After that, I let Alicia into the battle and yay, a use for scouts finally.[/spoiler]

You have no idea what you're talking about. But I'll forgive you, since you just started out.

For starters, scouts usually get pwned by shock troopers if they get too close. But since Scouts have longer range, they can usually pick off shock troopers without getting retaliation fire. Scouts are also excellent at taking out Lancers and Snipers too. Close range headshots, and it's all over.

Scouts can run the furthest, see the furthest, and have the second highest accuracy next to snipers. They can also carry a grenade. They're even better after they class-up!

Speevy

Banned
Darkpen said:
that sucks, bro. Not sure if I've read anyone expressing that complaint in the thread, though. I think your PS3 just borked.

Oh I know, they cover huge amounts of ground, clean up the battlefield, occupy bases, etc. but I've been reluctant to use many units that can't defend themselves aside from snipers and engineers.

Speevy

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
For starters, scouts usually get pwned by shock troopers if they get too close. But since Scouts have longer range, they can usually pick off shock troopers without getting retaliation fire. Scouts are also excellent at taking out Lancers and Snipers too. Close range headshots, and it's all over.

Scouts can run the furthest, see the furthest, and have the second highest accuracy next to snipers. They can also carry a grenade. They're even better after they class-up!

Well you sort of gravitate towards one way of playing and form your opinions based on that, reality be damned.

Been playing this a lot over the weekend, up to Chapter 17 now...my Scouts/Shocktroopers/Lancers are currently at level 16 so I'll be leveling them up with the new
Naggiar
skirmish that was just unlocked.

My ranks are terrible after finishing the maps for the first time, I'll eventually improve them in skirmish after I finish the game. I also downloaded the Selvaria and Edy chapters over the weekend but I'll hold them off until I finish the main storyline and all the in-game reports/side missions.

This game is great, looking forward to seeing the end! I'm a sucker for cliched anime mellowdrama :lol

ianp622

radiantdreamer said:
You have no idea what you're talking about. But I'll forgive you, since you just started out.

Yeah Scouts are my number 1 class, because pretty soon you can kill almost every unit with one turn. I usually use Shocktroopers for defense and close quarters. Lancers are almost useless until you get them to a high level, as with snipers (although snipers are useful at a lower level than Lancers), and I always just have one engineer.

I love the Scout class. I think they're awesome. I use them, and engineers (for the three grenade cap and ammo supply) probably more than I should, but to great effect.

Speevy said:
I just beat
The Desert

What I did:

The desert is ridiculously easy if you have
unlocked the "Mortar Support" order.

Just for fun, (or you could probably use this to grind if you're cheap,) when you unlock the desert in skirmish, you can easily capture the middle enemy base in the first turn, and end the skirmish in "A" rank with all the officers and tanks killed by the end of your turn 3, using this method:

Start with a lone sniper up top, Largo, Rosie and Alicia down below with Edelweiss. Leave the rest of the slots empty. Alicia will be the only ones moving here. The rest are here for points/base defense. I stick Rosie and Alicia in the upper rt. slots.

On the first cycle, order a mortar strike on the squatting sniper on the roof. The mortar strike will kill both snipers, and leave an officer trooper on the roof and a lancer behind the north wall of the building with just slivers of life left. Have your sniper hit the Shocktrooper on the roof. A body shot is all it takes, so aim for the body sho they don't miss. (I don't play that "save before each shot and reload the game if they miss" crap...all my strategies have backups in case sombody misses.) Have Alicia run up and into the trench, avoiding the first scout's fire. From the trench, have Alicia quickly take out the officer scout just on the other side of the tunnel. With the rest of her movement, follow the trench around to the north to just outside the base flag. Select her again, capture the base, run up to the north wall of the courtyard, turn left, and kill the injured lancer. With the rest of her movement, I usually walk her halfway up the steps of the house, let her spot the enemy, then stash her in a spot on the steps where no one can see her. With the rest of your order points, call in reinforcements. I got two Lancers that work well together, (like the gay guy and another dude) a desert shocktrooper like Vyse, and a desert scout like Freesia. You could sub a sniper here or go three scouts and be fine too, probably.

The enemy will be stuck taking hapless shots at your tank and dying from Rosie's defense.

On your next turn, Alicia can run up the steps on to the roof and take out that Shocktrooper that's standing in the trench close to the house. With the rest of her movement, squat her in the trench where he was. If she misses, she can run around the farside of the courtyard wall, and still park herself in the trench without him seeing her, and the other scout/whatever you have there can take him out and squat there too. Take your reinforcement Shocktrooper and charge into the trench with the officer lancer and try to take him out. You'll probably fail, since he's squatting, but that's OK. You can either use another order point to get him, or wait until next turn. The shocktrooper behind him in the trench might even take him out shooting him in the back trying to shoot you. I'd go ahead and spend the point though so you can move on and advance him to that other trench where the scouts are parked. Your reinforcement lancers are going forward to attack the two tanks on the right side of the map. Have them run right up to the first tank, but actually take their first two shots (one shot from each lancer) from a distance at the northernmost tank instead of the close one. On their second move, they'll start to get shot at by the close tank, but you'll run past it to the side and take another two shots (if needed) at the far tank, which should destroy it. On their third movements, they'll easily be able to shoot the close tank right in the rear radiator, while still staying out of range of the shocktrooper in the trench. And depending on how you did previously, you might even have a chance to damage the third tank with distance shots.

The enemy will have a sniper shooting at one of your Lancers and may take one of them out. That's OK as long as he doesn't die forever. He won't be able to do much else.

The third turn is basic clean-up. You have plenty of movement to kill the two stormtroopers in the trench and have the lancer(s) take out the last tank with a shot to the rear. Then you can either call in another "Mortar Support" order on the remaining officer shocktrooper and sniper, or deal with them the old fashioned way, but you'll easily take the base on turn 3.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Awntawn said:
sorry if this has been addressed, but does the NA disc happen to include the JP voice acting on it? ;o

Yes, it's dual audio.

Speevy

Banned
OH MY GOD
Duel with Maximillian, I had that bastard down to one radiator and a sliver left and I ran out of turns. Bastard killed me on the next one. There should be a warning that you may throw your controller through a window after that one.

AFJHLGGGHSHG:GSHGSHHSGgfdshahgfdso;

Speevy

Banned
Okay, now this has happened on three separate occasions.

What is a surefire, safe way to take out the third radiator once you've taken out the first two in the duel with Maximillian? I keep getting killed right at that point and while I realize there's probably more to the battle, this is irritating because I'm so close to accomplishing this one goal.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
WHY CAN'T I BUY THIS GAME NEW ANYWHERE IN CANADA??

Even online?? The only place to go seems to be eBay... which seems dumb.

ixix said:
Yes, it's dual audio.
What annoys me about the JP audio track in the NA version is that none of it is subbed (or even at least 'dub-titled') during the actual battle scenarios, such as orders, status communication while moving or when being attacked, potentials/boosts, etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BocoDragon said:
WHY CAN'T I BUY THIS GAME NEW ANYWHERE IN CANADA??

Even online?? The only place to go seems to be eBay... which seems dumb.

I hear you. Toronto was dry when I was looking for it back during New Years... I had to go to Blockbuster of all places.

Darkpen

Banned
Speevy said:
Okay, now this has happened on three separate occasions.

What is a surefire, safe way to take out the third radiator once you've taken out the first two in the duel with Maximillian? I keep getting killed right at that point and while I realize there's probably more to the battle, this is irritating because I'm so close to accomplishing this one goal.
Strategy: http://i44.tinypic.com/33c582p.gif

I just drew this in ms paint by memory, lol D: I don't think the wall placements are very accurate, but eh.

Another solution is to just
move the tank next to the ladder, blocking Selvaria, and using it as makeshift cover. Its what I had to do when I played that mission the first time through. But its stupid and you don't need to do that because Selvaria never actually comes to the other side of Max's tank.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
firehawk12 said:
I hear you. Toronto was dry when I was looking for it back during New Years... I had to go to Blockbuster of all places.
I remember seeing it around Vancouver around New Years.... and yeah, at Blockbuster I saw it then. In the last two months it completely disappeared. I wasn't being part of the problem.... it's been a poor 2009 for me. :(

Americans seem to be able to buy it on Amazon and there was that in store Gamestop special a few weeks ago. I'm gonna have to buy it for $80+ on eBay thanks to full price sellers, shipping, and exchange rate. :( (EDIT: Actually now that I look again the prices are not all that bad).

But I'm sure it's worth it.

I would love a Phoenix Wright-style reprint though. I remember when that game was totally rare before making a comeback.

Aru

Speevy said:
OH MY GOD
Duel with Maximillian, I had that bastard down to one radiator and a sliver left and I ran out of turns. Bastard killed me on the next one. There should be a warning that you may throw your controller through a window after that one.

AFJHLGGGHSHG:GSHGSHHSGgfdshahgfdso;

I beat the last radiator + the tank in the same turn :lol And all 3 radiators + the tank on 1 try.
Though I tried the map a few times before the radiators appear, to learn the best way to destroy the turrets. I stopped the tank with the Edelweiss and attacked the turrets turn by turn until they were all destroyed :lol And then I let the tank go.

Eccocid

Got the game yesterday for 20 euro!

So far i am at chapter 3 and got my troops! So far so good i loved the light hearted story and setting even tho it is cheesy it doesnt poke out your eyes with it. Somehow it manages to be cheesy and good! OH i wanna go home and play moaaar nao!

RpgN

Eccocid said:
Got the game yesterday for 20 euro!

So far i am at chapter 3 and got my troops! So far so good i loved the light hearted story and setting even tho it is cheesy it doesnt poke out your eyes with it. Somehow it manages to be cheesy and good! OH i wanna go home and play moaaar nao!

Where did you get it from for that kind of price? It was already worth 60 euros, 20 is a rip-off haha You lucky!

Top Bottom