• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Aru

painey said:
I don't use any engineers, I think they are useless units.

Really ? Do some maps where using tanks are an absolute necessity, and then we'll talk.

Edit: Not only tanks :p
Lancers and snipers too.

neight

Banned
painey said:
Wow you must have not used tanks and sniper watchtowers much(to repair them when they get blown up) and felt the need to reequip lancers and snipers with more ammo.

Watching a few episodes of the anime series has been influencing my lineup, I'm using Susie and Edy more than Aika and Vyse (i.e. the SoA characters) despite them not being as effective =P I'll be switching out one of my current engineers for Homer from here on out too.

painey said:

Later on you'll discover they're indispensable. They can move great distances, repair tanks, remove mines. They work great as utility/medic types. Two engineers behind the Edelweiss can keep you in any fight.

I always always always have at least 1 engineer in the group.

Repairs, ammo stock-up, rescuing the dead, retaliation fire, high-potions, they're so versatile!

Wanna give your scout more than one long-range grenade to fire per turn? Have an engineer tag along. I tell ya, Dallas loves Alicia for a reason.

edit: I'm amused at how ignorant some of you players are. Don't dismiss any class, seriously. They are all very useful in their own way. If you get pwned, you're doing it wrong. You're not using your classes effectively.

Speevy

Banned
The great thing about the engineers is that even if you're a new player (like me), they give you a tremendous advantage.

Like you can trade shots with a tank and keep repairing your own until the other one is destroyed.

Speevy said:
The great thing about the engineers is that even if you're a new player (like me), they give you a tremendous advantage.

Like you can trade shots with a tank and keep repairing your own until the other one is destroyed.

Yeah, but that just takes a long time. It's better to just run in with a lancer and nail it in the ass.

If you get the order "resiste crossfire" and the +damage to armored vehicles onto a shocktrooper or scout, they can charge in and take out tanks too. Essentially a high movement and higher accuracy lancer. An interesting technique.

Zachack

radiantdreamer said:
Yeah, but that just takes a long time. It's better to just run in with a lancer and nail it in the ass.
Is there a way to stop them from missing all the time? The number of nearly point-blank misses I've had really makes me hesitant to use them.

Aru

Zachack said:
Is there a way to stop them from missing all the time? The number of nearly point-blank misses I've had really makes me hesitant to use them.

Buy more accurate lances in the R&D shop.

neight

Banned
Zachack said:
Trust me I found that annoying too but it goes hand in hand with the turn based rpg stats nature of the game. There were times where I had 95% of the enemy in my reticule and I still missed. You have to level up, then there's also the accuracy buff from Welkin.

Brashnir

Picked this up a few days ago, and started playing today. Really enjoyed the first hour or so, but unfortunately didn't have time to keep playing.

One thing though - I thought this game was an RPG. Where did I get that impression? I mean, I see that I gain XP after each fight, but that's the only thing that's even remotely RPGish that I've seen so far. Did I completely misread what this game was supposed to be about, or does it dramatically shift into a more RPG-like experience at some point? I hope not, I'm really liking the direction this seems to be headed early on.

If anything, the game feels like a turn-based Myth so far.

ianp622

Brashnir said:
Picked this up a few days ago, and started playing today. Really enjoyed the first hour or so, but unfortunately didn't have time to keep playing.

One thing though - I thought this game was an RPG. Where did I get that impression? I mean, I see that I gain XP after each fight, but that's the only thing that's even remotely RPGish that I've seen so far. Did I completely misread what this game was supposed to be about, or does it dramatically shift into a more RPG-like experience at some point? I hope not, I'm really liking the direction this seems to be headed early on.

If anything, the game feels like a turn-based Myth so far.

Later on you get to use that experience to level up classes, which improves your stats and gives you new abilities. Also, every character has special ablities that you need to unlock by using them a couple of turns in battle.

Keikoku

Banned
Aru said:
Buy more accurate lances in the R&D shop.

Actually it won't help that much :( Lancers are missing way too much in this game, what I did to avoid that was doing my best to get closer before shooting.

Anway, after 100% completing Selvaria DLC I picked up and beat Edy's mission just the same way. It's a good DLC but I don't think that it worths 4€ (Selvaria was imo)
But this DLC was better than Selvaria's one, despite the fact that it's shorter, the humor is a great alternative to the usual shitty dialogues/plot of the main game, and it was nice to hear some characters we played in the main campaign. If there is a sequel I hope that more characters will have their own dialogues and stuff.

Rolf NB

Zachack said:
Massive save/reload abuse. You can save after every single move that went to your liking.

I don't think the game is playable without that tbh (I'm on chapter 12 for reference).

Brashnir

ianp622 said:
Later on you get to use that experience to level up classes, which improves your stats and gives you new abilities. Also, every character has special ablities that you need to unlock by using them a couple of turns in battle.

I kinda figured that, but it still doesn't really make it an RPG, unless X-Com is somehow an RPG now.

Not that I'm complaining, what I'm playing here is way better than what I was expecting going in. I've wanted a game like this for ages.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Keikoku said:
Actually it won't help :( Lancers are missing way too much in this game, what I did to avoid that was doing my best to get closer before I shoot.

Yeah, I did as well, get as close as possible to an enemy then 1 hit kill them with my lancers. Only way to go

ianp622

bcn-ron said:
Massive save/reload abuse. You can save after every single move that went to your liking.

I don't think the game is playable without that tbh (I'm on chapter 12 for reference).

I never abused the save system. I've saved in the middle of missions occasionally on hard missions, but I've never even gotten close to saving on every turn. I kind of like having to readjust my strategy if things go wrong, or planning ahead to minimize the risk in the first place.

Brashnir said:
I kinda figured that, but it still doesn't really make it an RPG, unless X-Com is somehow an RPG now.

Not that I'm complaining, what I'm playing here is way better than what I was expecting going in. I've wanted a game like this for ages.

I think the RPG label is a bit forced, but I don't really care what people call it. I call it one of my favorite games of all time.

gokieks

ianp622 said:
I never abused the save system. I've saved in the middle of missions occasionally on hard missions, but I've never even gotten close to saving on every turn. I kind of like having to readjust my strategy if things go wrong, or planning ahead to minimize the risk in the first place.

I hope you don't have any plans of A-ranking all Hard/EX-Hard Skirmishes then, because unless you're luck incarnate, some of them would be basically impossible without a lot of command mode reloading.

Darkpen

Banned
gokieks said:
I hope you don't have any plans of A-ranking all Hard/EX-Hard Skirmishes then, because unless you're luck incarnate, some of them would be basically impossible without a lot of command mode reloading.
This.

When you go through your first playthrough of the storymode, you really shouldn't need to save mid-battle unless its a super-hard fight, and you keep getting stuck at one point, but other than that, you don't need to save unless you're going for A.

ianp622

gokieks said:

I've gotten A's on some of the beginning hard missions, and I never save in-mission for skirmishes. After all, my mistakes are usually in the first couple of turns, and given that an A ranking requires you to use so few turns, I don't see it as a big hassle to start from the beginning each time something messes up.

But I don't plan on getting an A on everything really. For most I would just be happy completing the mission.

Aru

Keikoku said:
Actually it won't help that much :( Lancers are missing way too much in this game, what I did to avoid that was doing my best to get closer before shooting.

Anway, after 100% completing Selvaria DLC I picked up and beat Edy's mission just the same way. It's a good DLC but I don't think that it worths 4€ (Selvaria was imo)
But this DLC was better than Selvaria's one, despite the fact that it's shorter, the humor is a great alternative to the usual shitty dialogues/plot of the main game, and it was nice to hear some characters we played in the main campaign. If there is a sequel I hope that more characters will have their own dialogues and stuff.

Really ? I bought the more powerful lances, so I didn't know.
I miss too often against the last boss and it's frustrating :/

Eccocid

RpgN said:
Where did you get it from for that kind of price? It was already worth 60 euros, 20 is a rip-off haha You lucky!

From an import shop in Istanbul, we have pretty messed up prices in here.. Official retail shops sell ps3 games with high price tags. And there are these shaddy import shops which bring games from usa and asia and sell them for their local price.
for example Uncharted is like 20 euro in those import shops at a retail store it is around 60euro! 20 euro is US verion but its ok.

VC was 20 and they didint have any idea of the game, there was only one copy lol i was like "oh so u hav this game...how much is it?" he said 20 and i grabbed it in a second.

painey

Pai Pai Master said:
What, are you on chapter 2 or something? ;)

Also I didnt know you could save mid-mission, that is alot more attractive for me as I would only start playing when I had an hour free so I knew I would have time to play a whole mission.

mclem

radiantdreamer said:
edit: I'm amused at how ignorant some of you players are. Don't dismiss any class, seriously. They are all very useful in their own way. If you get pwned, you're doing it wrong. You're not using your classes effectively.
I'll stick my neck out here: Snipers early on are pretty useless, and can leave you with a bad negative impression.

They're awesome once they're geared, though, but you'd need to break out from that mentality.

I just beat chapter 12. This game is just so awesome, I can't believe I passed up playing it for so long. It's easily one of the best games I have ever played.

I like the difficulty of it myself. But I half wish it was easier, so that more people could pick it up and really enjoy it. The difficulty of the game is about the only that that would prevent me from recommending it to the more causal gamers out there.

After I beat the game I am going to have to buy the DLC too. God I hope they are working on a sequel or something. I need more games like this.

Quixzlizx

bcn-ron said:

I've been A-ranking everything so far and I haven't used a save state once. What's the point if you just reload every time you miss?

Darkpen

Banned
Quixzlizx said:
I've been A-ranking everything so far and I haven't used a save state once. What's the point if you just reload every time you miss?
I would love to watch you try and A-rank both of th second halves of the Selvaria DLC w/o saving. Really.

Quixzlizx

Darkpen said:
I would love to watch you try and A-rank both of th second halves of the Selvaria DLC w/o saving. Really.

I can see someone save-stating to A-rank the DLC (although I'm probably going to avoid it), because from what I understand your rank determines what mission you get next. But in the main game, the only reason to attempt to A-rank every mission is for the challenge, and you're eliminating that challenge by save-stating every move. It's like playing a board game and getting to re-roll the dice every turn until you get the result you want.

mclem said:
I'll stick my neck out here: Snipers early on are pretty useless, and can leave you with a bad negative impression.

They're awesome once they're geared, though, but you'd need to break out from that mentality.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on that. They have pretty bad accuracy to start, which is why they aren't meant for too long range in the beginning. They're also asked to do too much at the beginning (like the desert mission).

What I did instead is use Scouts to spot enemies, and then use closer range sniping to get a higher chance headshot.

painey

I love snipers, and use em in every mission. Apart from one instance when I missed all 3 shots in 1 round (frustrating) they have been awesome.

Aru

Darkpen said:
hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm

Level 12, huh.

Okay, so you manage to get him angry? Here's a strategy, and its totally up to you to try:

Fill all 4 top slots w/ Shocktroopers, with Rosie being in the top row, either column. Put one or two snipers with the longest ranged rifle/damage behind the bunkers. How many you use depends on how you feel. Fill the rest of the back slots with at least one engineer and obviously Alicia and Largo. You might end up having to skimp on the engineer if you use 2 snipers.

For your turn, you want to use the sniper to take out the power source in the far back. A well placed shot will take it out in 1, not 2. Use the shocktroopers you had in the second row destroy the towers, and when they finish destroying those, either have them run up to Maximillian, or have them hide behind where the cover that's hiding the first row. If all 3 sources are destroyed, they can more or less safely run up to Max w/o dying.

Now, either have them all lined up and fire at his head ever time, or get closer and use a flamethrower on either his head or body. I tend to aim at his head. Depends on how you went about with your flamethrower/machine gun upgrades.

Using the 3 troopers, get him angry, and then its time to use Rosie. Now, if you so dare, you could have used Rosie along with the 3, just to cover at least some ground and use a turn as well, but here's where it gets tricky.

With Max all the way at the back, and two live turrets on the way, with Max firing as well, you're gonna want to send Rosie with Caution, and send her all the way to the back where Max is. If you're lucky, you might not even need to use Caution, but don't be afraid to use an order to heal Rosie. I hope you got Rosie the VB W2 or whatever its called from her story report.

If you find that this strategy doesn't work, you'll want to bring 2 Lancers, because the only way to take down the second set of power sources are by rocketing them.

I just beat the game. Without your strategy though, because I just read it right now !
I found another way.

So I won in 2 turns, yeah :D A rank please :D :D
I didn't do a single skirmish in all my playthrough. That's what I like about an RPG: strategy > level. I managed to finish the game with that level 12 of mine.

So my strategy was:
I took 4 shocktroopers, 2 lancers, 1 sniper and 1 engineer.

I destroyed the 3 towers with my lancers and sniper, then I drove the tank next to Max. I shot him and brought Rosie near the tank. 2 turns of shooting him made him angry. Then I used all but 1 of my remaining CPs and shot him with grenades. On the second turn, I used largo 2 times to destroy 2 towers and the Edelweiss for the last armored tower. 3 more shots and he was dead.

Yatta \o/

What a great game :D I didn't enjoy an S-RPG like this since Disgaea !
Sure it has a few flaws, but they are minor next to the awesomeness of this game.

Sequel please, SEGA <3

CO_Andy

Argh! There's nothing more frustrating in Valkyria then having your sniper misfire. I'm on Selvaria's second mission and both my snipers misfire all shots in one round! Even when the enemy isn't looking they're magically able to dodge a head shot from behind.

Why can't this game be more like Advance Wars :(

ianp622

CO_Andy said:
Argh! There's nothing more frustrating in Valkyria then having your sniper misfire. I'm on Selvaria's second mission and both my snipers misfire all shots in one round! Even when the enemy isn't looking they're magically able to dodge a head shot from behind.

One of the snipers in Selvaria's mission is a better shot than the rest. I forget his name though.

Darkpen

Banned
CO_Andy said:

In the second mission, use the guy w/ the tower potential. Improves his aim score.

Quixzlizx said:
I can see someone save-stating to A-rank the DLC (although I'm probably going to avoid it), because from what I understand your rank determines what mission you get next. But in the main game, the only reason to attempt to A-rank every mission is for the challenge, and you're eliminating that challenge by save-stating every move. It's like playing a board game and getting to re-roll the dice every turn until you get the result you want.
No, its based on destroying Damon's tank.

Aru

Darkpen said:
http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=1122

Just finished finally reading this after originally posting it in this thread and bookmarking it for later. Great read to go through while listening to the soundtrack :D

I saw Sakimoto's name in the credits, I was a bit surprised :eek:
I didn't recognize his style at all.
No wonder the soundtrack is great :D

Did he compose most of the soundtrack ? Or was it Daisuke Kawaguchi ?

Top Bottom