• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
Good to see you bring that up again.

You guys couldn't tell?! The music sounds so FF Tactics!

Exactly, Valkyria Chronicles just happens to use more real instruments and vocals compared to Sakimoto's previous work. Aside from that, it is essentially the same.

Any tips for the
mission in which you need to save the hostages without being seen?
No matter what I try, I can't figure out what the game wants me to do.

ianp622

RedNumberFive said:
Any tips for the
mission in which you need to save the hostages without being seen?
No matter what I try, I can't figure out what the game wants me to do.

Use your best scouts, go up the hill on the left with one to shoot the guy on the roof, then use another scout to go around the right to get the other guy. Also, aim for the head and don't miss

ShadiWulf

/ SEGA Promotion

3491902823_ab1d25aab9.jpg

image from SEGA flickr

Darkpen

Banned
Aru said:
I saw Sakimoto's name in the credits, I was a bit surprised :eek:
I didn't recognize his style at all.
No wonder the soundtrack is great :D

Did he compose most of the soundtrack ? Or was it Daisuke Kawaguchi ?
Really? The entire score had FFT written all over it D:!

Fusebox

Banned
Lol, awesome pic.

I got up to chapter 14 last night, the cut-scene with the battle between
Alicia and Selvira
was brilliant, worth the price of entry for that alone.

Rolf NB

How come the elite snipers in chapter 12 can one-hit-kill my characters when they are crouched in cover? Never worked the other way 'round.

BeeDog

I've had this game for 3 weeks now, and haven't played it (still stuck on chapter 2 :lol ). Damn, will need to rectify this after finishing Mysteries Of Westgate, King's Bounty: The Legend and the Fallout 3 DLC.

Aru said:
Yeah, now that you mention it, it sounds effectively a bit FFT-ish.

A bit? It's almost like an enhanced version. You could probably place most of these into FFT and it would still work. I was able to pick out songs that have parallel style and atmosphere between the two games. Go on youtube and start looking up songs and compare. It's pretty neat.

Darkpen

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
Wow, that's full of win.

No problem Sega. There are lots of good games I'd buy from you... if you'd localize them!
Yes, Sega, If you'd localize them :mad:

Yakuza 3 plox

Hcoregamer00

SecretBonusPoint said:
Man, as the anime continues (really enjoying it btw) Alicia's facial expressions are getting more and more crazy:

2uoq634.jpg

wgul4l.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Good times, the Valkyria Anime is worth it alone for Alicia's reactions.

Aru

I love the anime too (but I don't know if I would like it as much if I didn't finish the game before watching it) :D
They kept the music from the game <3

Speevy

Banned
I just cleared the second part of episode 8 in its entirety. I'm talking the entire enemy army and all their weapons.

Then, while searching for the path to the final enemy flag, I stepped on a mine with Welkin.

CO_Andy said:
Dear Sega, please don't turn Alicia into this in the next game.

Dear Sega, please absolutely turn Alicia into this in the next game. She's absolutely hilarious now in the anime yet still retains the adorable cuteness from the game.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Unknown Soldier said:
Dear Sega, please absolutely turn Alicia into this in the next game. She's absolutely hilarious now in the anime yet still retains the adorable cuteness from the game.
Anime Alicia is a carbon copy of every other anime female lead of her trope type. Anyone who still finds that character type still hilarious or interesting has either never seen that trope before or are some kind of nerd fetishist.

Darkpen

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Anime Alicia is a carbon copy of every other anime female lead of her trope type. Anyone who still finds that character type still hilarious or interesting has either never seen that trope before or are some kind of nerd fetishist.
While I still find it a hilarious trope when done right, I do have far more appreciation for the subtlety of the game's Alicia, so yeah, no thanks on the next game featuring Alicia being like this. Let's leave it where it belongs: in anime.

but...

2uoq634.jpg

mAcOdIn

Darkpen said:
While I still find it a hilarious trope when done right, I do have far more appreciation for the subtlety of the game's Alicia, so yeah, no thanks on the next game featuring Alicia being like this. Let's leave it where it belongs: in anime.

but...

2uoq634.jpg

That's some Higurashi shit right there.

Higurashi is probably the only anime ever to make me physically uncomfortable. Good God is the art in that series creepy as fuck to me.

gokieks

grandjedi6 said:

I have no interest in seeing game Alicia changed, but please, get off your high horse. Most people watch shows to enjoy it, not to analyze each and every trope that may appear - and guess what, tropes are common precisely because they work. Nobody's calling Alicia's character a crowning achievement in character design, but that doesn't mean it can't be amusing.

Darkpen

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
woah, that looks incredibly sharp and hi-res compared to Valkyria Chronicles.
Vector art over screen caps. Its a common practice. Makes for some awesome hi-res "caps" or "official-looking art"

That's actually resized. The original that I found was 50% bigger.

RpgN

30. [PS3] Senjou no Valkyria, PlayStation 3 the Best (Sega) - 5,400 / 36,000

In Famitsu, it's also still tracking in MC. This is the best selling week of the Best version since it was released. About less than 14k left untill Valkyria Chronicles hits the 200k magical mark.

Darkpen said:
Vector art over screen caps. Its a common practice. Makes for some awesome hi-res "caps" or "official-looking art"

That's actually resized. The original that I found was 50% bigger.

Sweet! Never thought of that.

Hey, you know you can make your avatar not jump around like that by opening it in image ready and nudging it around by 1 pixel.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
gokieks said:
I have no interest in seeing game Alicia changed, but please, get off your high horse. Most people watch shows to enjoy it, not to analyze each and every trope that may appear - and guess what, tropes are common precisely because they work. Nobody's calling Alicia's character a crowning achievement in character design, but that doesn't mean it can't be amusing.
To each their own. imo, that type of character is to animes as "bald space marines" is to FPSs.

Hcoregamer00

grandjedi6 said:
To each their own. imo, that type of character is to animes as "bald space marines" is to FPSs.

I would agree with you, but the only character that I can remember having facial expressions as an integral part of the character is Yumi from Maria-Sama Ga Miteru, and that anime made its debut in 2004. It seems like the Valkyria Anime wants to make Alicia the VC equivalent of Yumi.

06ca8d3d.jpg

c4ece644.jpg

01bc6d90.jpg

Hcoregamer00 said:
I would agree with you, but the only character that I can remember having facial expressions as an integral part of the character is Yumi from Maria-Sama Ga Miteru, and that anime made its debut in 2004. It seems like the Valkyria Anime wants to make Alicia the VC equivalent of Yumi.

06ca8d3d.jpg

c4ece644.jpg

01bc6d90.jpg

What series is this? and is it a good series?

Quixzlizx

radiantdreamer said:

I have not watched it, but apparently it's about a religious girls' academy or something similar, and there are lesbian overtones. So probably not.

Durante

I've watched marimite (a few years ago), and there are no lesbian overtones -- maybe undertones, if you go into it looking for them. It's a shoujo series, and basically a coming-of-age / school life thing, so whether someone likes it strongly depends on how well they can stomach everything that comes with that. In any case, it has nothing at all to do with VC.

Coming back to the Anime Alicia faces discussion that has been going on for a while (and has almost as little to do with the game :p), a lot of her expressions remind me of Rin in Fate/stay night, but that may just be because I finished that recently. It's fairly standard tsundere stuff.

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:

Yes, it is superb. One of my favorite series of all time. The slow pacing and the deep development make for a rich experience.

Basically it is the opposite of Valkyria Chronicles with its fast pacing and poor development (especially of the Villains).

Quixzlizx said:
I have not watched it, but apparently it's about a religious girls' academy or something similar, and there are lesbian overtones. So probably not.

Assumptions are a bad thing, Maria-sama Ga Miteru is one of the best Anime franchises to come out in years. It doesn't rely on the moeblob crap that pervades anime and has a rich storyline that is refreshing and fun.

You can boil anything down and make it sound stupid.

Example: Valkyria Chronicles is apparently about an empire with an inept leadership that fails to capture a small country, and there are racist overtones.

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
Assumptions are a bad thing, Maria-sama Ga Miteru is one of the best Anime franchises to come out in years. It doesn't rely on the moeblob crap that pervades anime and has a rich storyline that is refreshing and fun.

You can boil anything down and make it sound stupid.

Example: Valkyria Chronicles is apparently about an empire with an inept leadership that fails to capture a small country, and there are racist overtones.

I don't know, the all-girls school slice-of-life archetype just doesn't seem very appealing to me. Strawberry Panic is another example, and I didn't bother trying that show either.

Hcoregamer00

Quixzlizx said:
I don't know, the all-girls school slice-of-life archetype just doesn't seem very appealing to me. Strawberry Panic is another example, and I didn't bother trying that show either.

Gah, this is off topic >_<

Strawberry Panic and Maria-sama Ga Miteru are two completely different shows. One is aimed for a primarily male audience (Strawberry Panic) so has silly subplots and lots of pantyshots. The other is aimed for a primarily female audience (Maria-sama Ga Miteru) and has rich character development, lots of drama, and will emotionally suck you in. Assumptions are a bad thing, since the two could not be any more different than each other. One is a piece of crap series, the other is a quality experience that showcases some of the best in anime (if you can deal with the slow pacing).

Your assumptions are the same as what people said about Valkyria Chronicles.

"I don't know about Valkyria Chronicles, the strategy-rpg subgenre with cute anime designs doesn't seem very appealing to me. Jeanne D'arc is another example, and I didn't bother with that game either." Notice that this assumption makes the same assumption you made about Marmite and Strawberry Panic, which is that Valkyria Chronicles is the same as every other strategy RPG out there, while ignoring many fundamentals that make them so different.

Hcoregamer00

Speevy said:
So anyway, I'm on
kidnapping of Cordelia
mission, but I'm taking a break to do some skirmishes.

Nice, that mission is the easiest in the game if you use the proper strategy.

B.K.

I was at a Wal-Mart yesterday and they had the game for $39. I don't know if it was just that one store or if it's had a price drop.

Hcoregamer00

B.K. said:
I was at a Wal-Mart yesterday and they had the game for $39. I don't know if it was just that one store or if it's had a price drop.

If Wal-mart did it, the game probably price collapsed (which means it should be everywhere).

Expect other places like Best Buy to follow suit sometime in the future.

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
Gah, this is off topic >_<

Strawberry Panic and Maria-sama Ga Miteru are two completely different shows. One is aimed for a primarily male audience (Strawberry Panic) so has silly subplots and lots of pantyshots. The other is aimed for a primarily female audience (Maria-sama Ga Miteru) and has rich character development, lots of drama, and will emotionally suck you in.

I don't watch shows that solely exist for stupid moe characters, and I'm not female, so it appears I still managed to avoid two shows that weren't meant for me.

CO_Andy

One thing i like about the Valkyria anime is how much more Faldio is fleshed out. He's a bit too much of a play boy there though.

Hcoregamer00

CO_Andy said:
One thing i like about the Valkyria anime is how much more Faldio is fleshed out. He's a bit too much of a play boy there though.

The moment I saw Faldio in the game I thought that he was going to be the VC man slut who hit on every living being. Instead, he was very well developed and was the opposite of his pretty boy looks.

The VC anime turned him into what I assumed he would be like in the game :lol

Rolf NB

Hcoregamer00 said:
Nice, that mission is the easiest in the game if you use the proper strategy.
"Strategy"? Pfft. Deploy units you never use to get their extra command points. In particular do deploy Largo, even when the mission briefing gives you a clear reason to never even move him once.

In terms of "strategy" this is pretty much the dumbest mission in the entire game.

Top Bottom