• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Speevy

Banned
bcn-ron said:
"Strategy"? Pfft. Deploy units you never use to get their extra command points. In particular do deploy Largo, even when the mission briefing gives you a clear reason to never even move him once.

In terms of "strategy" this is pretty much the dumbest mission in the entire game.

Well the first thing that happened when I first started this mission is that two lancers shot Rosie with alarming accuracy, killing her. I was like "What?"

Then I walked right behind the vehicle with a sniper, but did little damage. By that point I was tired so I turned it off and decided to try again later.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
bcn-ron said:
"Strategy"? Pfft. Deploy units you never use to get their extra command points. In particular do deploy Largo, even when the mission briefing gives you a clear reason to never even move him once.

In terms of "strategy" this is pretty much the dumbest mission in the entire game.

Bah, it is even more fun using 3 shocktroopers.

Edy, Jane, and Rosie do a great job.

androvsky

Hcoregamer00 said:
The moment I saw Faldio in the game I thought that he was going to be the VC man slut who hit on every living being. Instead, he was very well developed and was the opposite of his pretty boy looks.

The VC anime turned him into what I assumed he would be like in the game :lol

Just think of the symbolism later on in the anime when he... you know... spoiler. :)

Aru

bcn-ron said:

It's a bit hard if you play it wrong, really.
But the easiest mission in the game is surely Mission 14 (if you know what to do. You can't be it so easily on the first try).

Fusebox

Banned
Kind of stuck on mission 15,
I'm sure if I keep chipping away at it I'll figure it out, but the CPU turn takes so long by this stage it gets really frustrating when I fuck up.

Duke Togo

I picked this up today after having a few people recommend it. I'm not sure why I overlooked this game when it was first released...I even played the demo at the time! At any rate, I'm glad I found it. It seems to be sold out all over the place in my town.

Rolf NB

Speevy said:
Well the first thing that happened when I first started this mission is that two lancers shot Rosie with alarming accuracy, killing her. I was like "What?"

Then I walked right behind the vehicle with a sniper, but did little damage. By that point I was tired so I turned it off and decided to try again later.
That happens to me a lot with Valkyria Chronicles. Too much trial&error, game keeps inventing new ways to disobey its own rules etc.

You basically do what the interlude tells you,
drive forward to block the gap, nuke the ground units with mortar when you're there (any standers will be taken care of by the MG when they move). Next turn, block the next gap and so on. Maybe send a scout up to clear ground units that threaten the Edelweiss's back, but this is all just to give you enough time to pull some of your other ground units closer to the center of the map.
The enemy tank should eventually zip down the easternmost street with full visibility (i.e. not the one at the edge of the map, but one further in). What you need to do is send a shocktropper after it and hit the radiator with burst fire. Bring lots of CP so you can move that shocktrooper several times every turn (that's why you should deploy Largo and never move him). Otherwise the tank will escape easily, it's much too fast to follow normally.

I think I had Marina (sniper) deployed at the rightmost point, and she did a great job keeping ground troops away from the shocktrooper. You can probably deploy her in the center camp, so she can get on that sniper tower and accomplish the same thing.

Units toward the left side/remaining units in the center camp are completely irrelevant to the outcome of the mission. Just race behind that tank.

Fusebox said:
I'm sure if I keep chipping away at it I'll figure it out, but the CPU turn takes so long by this stage it gets really frustrating when I fuck up.
You know you can save at any point during your turn, right? Hit up the menu with triangle.

Kai Ozu

Darkpen said:
That, and just because the VA is the same as Kana from Minami-ke, a bit of Minami-ke Okawari, too.

141pbtl.jpg

LMAO

Speevy said:

Block the vehicle for the first two turns while you move a shock trooper from the center position up north to take out the lancer and the scout located there.

On the third turn, keep the shocktrooper out of range of the vehicle, and let it pass. When it's your turn again, Use the Demolition Boost command, and send your shocktrooper behind the vehicle and blank-range it. A rank.

Fusebox said:

For this one, I decided I didn't want to bother and just did a straight run with Alicia on Awaken Potential. She pwned the map solo.

However, if you really want to take your time at it, The best strategy is to keep Eidelwess on Isara Smoke shells, advance your troops slowly, and have an engineer go in first to take care of mines. Have a secondary engineer for heals to your team if necessary. Retreat a little and take your time anytime you feel like you're being overwhelmed.

Speevy

Banned
I've never felt so stupid and useless after a mission as I just did with the
train explosion
mission.

First, I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go, and once I figured it out, my men were getting picked off one by one thanks to that defense all command.

I finally got one of them past the final barrier, but that took a lot of turns.

RpgN

Speevy said:
I've never felt so stupid and useless after a mission as I just did with the
train explosion
mission.

First, I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go, and once I figured it out, my men were getting picked off one by one thanks to that defense all command.

I finally got one of them past the final barrier, but that took a lot of turns.

You're making me ichy for another VC playthrough :lol I bought all the DLCs a long time ago but still didn't play them yet. Too many other games :(

Speevy

Banned
The Edy one is just annoying. I gunned down the entire squad that was facing me but because someone walked past without getting picked off by defending fire, I lose?

ianp622

I'm up to Barious Desert on Expert. TOO MANY TANKS. But really the elite special sniper is pissing me off.

Also, Lynn with the Ruhm is a beast. With Hard Worker I was able to kill TWO tanks in one turn in Kloden Wildwood on Expert.

Speevy said:
Well he's not wrong on any of his points, so I give him points for not making stuff up this time, but the game's still amazing.

He's sure as hell wrong about wanting enemies to only shoot you during their turn. The game would be broken if that was the case.

Speevy

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
He's sure as hell wrong about wanting enemies to only shoot you during their turn. The game would be broken if that was the case.

Well yeah, that's a stupid preference, I agree.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hcoregamer00 said:
Gah, this is off topic >_<

Strawberry Panic and Maria-sama Ga Miteru are two completely different shows. One is aimed for a primarily male audience (Strawberry Panic) so has silly subplots and lots of pantyshots. The other is aimed for a primarily female audience (Maria-sama Ga Miteru) and has rich character development, lots of drama, and will emotionally suck you in. Assumptions are a bad thing, since the two could not be any more different than each other. One is a piece of crap series, the other is a quality experience that showcases some of the best in anime (if you can deal with the slow pacing).

Your assumptions are the same as what people said about Valkyria Chronicles.

I think MariMite is one of my favourite sort of "slice of life non big boobs and giant robots" show (only topped by Aria). It's almost like a high school drama but without much of the bitchiness.

My only thing that I don't like about it is that sometimes the angst can get REALLY overwrought. Imagine crying like your mother died every time you missed your bus or something.

I just wanted to post about the new episode of the VC anime though. All I have to say is that they've pretty much decided to do their own thing now. :p
It's strange that the manga ends up being the most "hardcore/realistic" of the three versions of the story while the anime is the cute and funny one.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
firehawk12 said:
I think MariMite is one of my favourite sort of "slice of life non big boobs and giant robots" show (only topped by Aria). It's almost like a high school drama but without much of the bitchiness.

My only thing that I don't like about it is that sometimes the angst can get REALLY overwrought. Imagine crying like your mother died every time you missed your bus or something.

I just wanted to post about the new episode of the VC anime though. All I have to say is that they've pretty much decided to do their own thing now. :p
It's strange that the manga ends up being the most "hardcore/realistic" of the three versions of the story while the anime is the cute and funny one.

Nice, a fellow marmite fan.

With the VC anime, I agree with your assertion. Granted, you have to consider the market for the anime is probably a little bit younger and more immature than the game. Of course, immature and Valkyria Chronicles actually fit quite well since the game never took itself too seriously.

Speevy

Banned
Chapter 12 (first mission?) was very easy for me. Didn't have trouble with it at all compared to 11.

All I did was
pick off the snipers and troopers, blow up a few cannons, then run straight up to the goal

Defunkled said:
I'm starting to get annoyed at how he picks one thing and bitches endlessly about it. WE GET IT, YOU HATE EVERYTHING!

Oh come in, it was funny! Sure he was whiny, as per usual, but a lot of what he said was spot on. Doesn't make the game any less great.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Oh come in, it was funny! Sure he was whiny, as per usual, but a lot of what he said was spot on. Doesn't make the game any less great.

IT is usually funny, but only when he plays the game. I have no idea how you can call Welkin 'androgynous'. He is just a normal, rugged geology student. :|

Speevy said:
He was mainly harping on the storyline, which you have to admit is pretty similar to other anime game storylines.

Yup, I can count how many satirical riffs on World War 2 have been done in an 'anime' game on my................

For those that couldn't guess, sarcasm.

Speevy

Banned
vandalvideo said:
Yup, I can count how many satirical riffs on World War 2 have been done in an 'anime' game on my................

For those that couldn't guess, sarcasm.

What does World War 2 have to do with the familiarity of the plot? It's the character stereotypes which call to mind other games, and in particular
the Jewish/Darksen/outcast race
thing has even been done before when it wasn't referencing World War 2.

Speevy said:
What does World War 2 have to do with the familiarity of the plot? It's the character stereotypes which call to mind other games, and in particular
the Jewish/Darksen/outcast race
thing has even been done before when it wasn't referencing World War 2.

That was a direct reference to world war 2. The entire game is a satirical jab at World War 2, with the entire plot that is unfolding similar to what happened in Belgium in WW2. Besides, what are these supposed character stereotypes that you are claiming belong to anime in the first place? He was wrong about Welkin, he was wrong about Alicia, and the only other character he mentioned was Oscar.

Speevy

Banned
Also, I'm not knocking VC. I plan on finishing this game, and if you knew me, you'd know that I don't finish RPGs unless I really am enjoying them.

Speevy

Banned
vandalvideo said:
That was a direct reference to world war 2. The entire game is a satirical jab at World War 2, with the entire plot that is unfolding similar to what happened in Belgium in WW2. Besides, what are these supposed character stereotypes that you are claiming belong to anime in the first place? He was wrong about Welkin, he was wrong about Alicia, and the only other character he mentioned was Oscar.

You're now typing for me, stop that. I'm saying I've played other games, like Tales of Symphonia for example which have the characters reacting to each other in a similar way. It doesn't bother me, but as Yahtzee pointed out, it's formulaic.

Are you saying Valkyria Chronicles' characters interact with each other in a way that no anime or Japanese RPG characters have done so before? Are you saying that no character in the game calls to mind a number of other ones?

Seriously?

Speevy

Banned
Darkpen said:
I'm not sure I could listen to this :(

Its one thing when he poops on an FF or MGS, but VC? :(

He hates everything, that's his thing. If he spared certain games, he'd run out of material.

Speevy said:
You're now typing for me, stop that. I'm saying I've played other games, like Tales of Symphonia for example which have the characters reacting to each other in a similar way. It doesn't bother me, but as Yahtzee pointed out, it's formulaic.

Are you saying Valkyria Chronicles' characters interact with each other in a way that no anime or Japanese RPG characters have done so before? Are you saying that no character in the game calls to mind a number of other ones?

Seriously?

How is it that the characters in Valkyria Chronicles are similar to Tales of Vesperia. I want more than just "It is an anime game". THe fact of the matter is that the character archetypes used in VC aren't like many of the other JRPG games, and heck, most JRPG games don't follow any standardized formula for character interaction. If anything, that is a misconception based on people whose entire indoctrination into the genre includes the mainstream titles, with very little introduction to the indie stuff that makes up the majority of the genre. The interactions that took place in Valkyria Chronicles, while vaguely similar, are not enough to warrant sweeping generalizations about the entire genre. The main character falls in love with other characters in dozens of other genres as well, ZOMG they must be JRPGs. WHen you look at it, the kind of innocent love that happened in Valkyria Chronicles was a treat.
THe kind of interaction between Welkin and ALicia wasn't anywhere near as over the top as what you find in other games
. Not to mention Welkin doesn't follow any specific archetype that has been in previous games; Smart college student in love with nature and well adjusted? Yeah, find me the last JRPG hero that was like that. These over generalizations about anime and JRPG games are a disservice to the genres themselves.

Ten bucks says the most anime you've watched are the crappy shounen like One Peice, Naruto, and Dragonball crap.

Darkpen

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
Sweet! Never thought of that.

Hey, you know you can make your avatar not jump around like that by opening it in image ready and nudging it around by 1 pixel.
1 pixel doesn't seem to fix it :(

You could try to fix it for me, though

vandalvideo said:
IT is usually funny, but only when he plays the game. I have no idea how you can call Welkin 'androgynous'. He is just a normal, rugged geology student. :|

I can't imagine he actually played the game :lol Still, there are certain JRPG/Anime stereotypes that VC follows. That being the case, I don't mind those stereotypes one bit!

Speevy

Banned
I'm not versed enough in anime to get into this debate with you, but I have no reason to make any of this up. Again, I really like the game.

Here's one I can name. How many Japanese RPGs follow a really young female character who's either really reverent and contemplative or rebellious and sassy, and it turns out that character is
magical/an angel/mankind's savior/a goddess
, but none of this is clear to the male character who is a childhood friend of hers and only wants her to be safe and is secretly in love with her.

Darkpen

Banned
Speevy said:
I'm not versed enough in anime to get into this debate with you, but I have no reason to make any of this up. Again, I really like the game.

<description of jrpg trope>
Okay, so I just watched the review, and while he had a lot of points I agreed with, and I ended up dismissing several of his more ignorant comments (particularly the anime androgenous teenager bits), I would like to say that most of the main cast is notably toned down from what you would normally expect from their character archetypes, notably Alicia and Faldio. Alicia could have very well been the tsunderekko she is in the anime, but she isn't.

The only game that immediately comes to mind from your description is almost any of the Tales games, but specifically Symphonia. But when I played VC, no other game ever came to mind. I felt that they handled Alicia's revelation much more maturely than any other JRPG ever could. Not to mention, Alicia isn't even rebellious or sassy, nor is she Welkin's childhood friend :/

Speevy said:
Here's one I can name. How many Japanese RPGs follow a really young female character who's either really reverent and contemplative or rebellious and sassy, and it turns out that character is
magical/an angel/mankind's savior/a goddess
, but none of this is clear to the male character who is a childhood friend of hers and only wants her to be safe and is secretly in love with her.

Alicia isn't all that rebellious or sassy. She is a pretty down to earth girl that loves to watch flowers. I mean, the only time you see a rebellious side is at the very, very beginning. Most of the time she plays the maternal spirit in the game. She is far from this rebellious, evil spirit.

PS: Welkin isn't her childhood friend either.

Speevy

Banned
vandalvideo said:
Alicia isn't all that rebellious or sassy. She is a pretty down to earth girl that loves to watch flowers. I mean, the only time you see a rebellious side is at the very, very beginning. Most of the time she plays the maternal spirit in the game. She is far from this rebellious, evil spirit.

PS: Welkin isn't her childhood friend either.

I'm using an overarching set of circumstances that might not necessarily apply to Valkyria Chronicles, but holds it under a general umbrella.

Why are you beating this to death?

Speevy said:
I'm using an overarching set of circumstances that might not necessarily apply to Valkyria Chronicles, but holds it under a general umbrella.

Why are you beating this to death?

So you're using an overbroad stereotype which doesn't even apply to the game in the first place to justify a view which doesn't hold true to the games in the first place?

Top Bottom