• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Darkpen

Banned
Speevy said:
I'm using an overarching set of circumstances that might not necessarily apply to Valkyria Chronicles, but holds it under a general umbrella.

Why are you beating this to death?
Well, that's the problem, isn't it? Valkyria Chronicles borrows its source material from the real world, and the writing itself melts in tastes of various anime stylings, and as tends to be the case with a lot of storytelling media, there are always general story-arcs and tropes that are reused. But when originality is out of the question, you have to inspect the quality of the storytelling and characters over how common it might be.

vandalvideo said:
So you're using an overbroad stereotype which doesn't even apply to the game in the first place to justify a view which doesn't hold true to the games in the first place?
This is a very stupid argument. VC, in presentation, is intentionally presented in an anime style. As such, it WILL contain some anime conventions. Not everyone likes these. Whether or not one can put their finger on what they do and don't like, or has had great exposure to it is irrelevant. Some people don't like anime. Some people don't like American comic books. Some people don't like any pop music. Some people don't like (insert any genre of any medium here). C'est la vie.

I very much agree with Yahtzee in terms of presentation. The gameplay won me over, though, so I still love the game.

Speevy

Banned
Darkpen said:
Well, that's the problem, isn't it? Valkyria Chronicles borrows its source material from the real world, and the writing itself melts in tastes of various anime stylings, and as tends to be the case with a lot of storytelling media, there are always general story-arcs and tropes that are reused. But when originality is out of the question, you have to inspect the quality of the storytelling and characters over how common it might be.

Yeah, and I think VC has a fine story. I don't find it annoying or anything like Yahtzee does. All I ever said was that I can see why someone might say that.

Steve Youngblood said:
This is a very stupid argument. VC, in presentation, is intentionally presented in an anime style. As such, it WILL contain some anime conventions. Not everyone likes these. Whether or not one can put their finger on what they do and don't like, or has had great exposure to it is irrelevant. Some people don't like anime. Some people don't like American comic books. Some people don't like any pop music. Some people don't like (insert any genre of any medium here). C'est la vie.

I very much agree with Yahtzee in terms of presentation. The gameplay won me over, though, so I still love the game.

Define anime style? The problem is, there is no one, cohesive anime style. You have things from Clamp, Toriyama, and many other artists that very dramatically. Anime encompasses just as many art styles as other mediums. To call them anime is straight up wrong. When you compare animes like Monster and XXXholic to stuff like FateStay Night, they are two incredibly different things. It ignores the intricate differences in the medium. The people who say they don't like anime have probably only watched generic shounen crap.

Darkpen

Banned
What's funny is that if listen carefully, it almost sounds like Yahtzee sort of liked the game, if it wasn't for the fact that the game forced you out to the menu to watch another cutscene, or for it asking if you were sure of something :lol

Maybe we'll see him reviewing a few more SRPGs in the future D:

Durante

Steve Youngblood said:
Some people don't like anime. Some people don't like American comic books. Some people don't like any pop music. Some people don't like (insert any genre of any medium here). C'est la vie.
This is a very confused argument. Anime is not a genre. (Neither, for that matter, are American comic books) It's a medium.

Speevy said:
Seriously, you win. VC characters are the most original in gaming history.
What a straw man.

grandjedi6 said:
ah, I was wondering where all the overly defensive fanboys were for this week's Yahtzee review.

You're a moron.

I'll admit I'm saddened by the fact that an idiotic, unfunny little slug like Yathzee can have any semblance of popularity instead of being treated like the lame dime a dozen internet troll he is, but the fact that he is popular means that when he makes baseless statements and factually wrong "reviews" disguised as humor people who know he's wrong need to say so.

vandalvideo said:
The people who say they don't like anime have probably only watched generic shounen crap.
Your point being? That is the mainstream stuff that people will have had exposure to. As such, it's perfectly fair if somebody watches that and views it as representative of the medium as a whole. People do this all the time with everything. I don't understand why you feel compelled to have to step in and be the great defender of Japanese animation.

As for what people think of when they think of "anime style"? Well, for me -- and I'll admit that it is very inarticulate, but I don't care -- I'm using it as a vague term to criticize as what I deem as overall 'cutesiness' for lack of a better term. That's not to say that this is accurate for EVERYTHING animated from Japan, but something I've noticed frequently in my limited exposure. And I don't care for it.

With Valkyria, what I find offputting is that Squad 7 seems way to sheltered from the horrors of war, except when they throw you into a battle scenario, or when the writers conveniently remember "Oh yeah, there's a huge war going on, right? Let's make something bad happen." Now, I'm not expecting Band of Brothers in a water color aesthetic, but they're all just too rag tag and plucky. "We're on a suicide mission! Let's go, team! Move out!"

I never cared if Alicia and Welkin got together, and thus was bored with every cutscene being Alicia trying to speak up about her feelings while Welkin made some metaphor about life being like this bug he's looking at. I hated that stupid pig. Rosie's hatred of Darcsens seemed forced and unnatural. Largo added nothing aside from a comical love of vegetables ("He looks like a red meat man, but he loves his veggies!! Haha!"). The cast just never seemed like they were in a war. I don't care about how awesome your bread is, there's an empire invading your country! Finally, I could have done with less fantasy.

Are my complaints bad? No, not necessarily. But they're stuff you would find in a story of Eastern origins. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
PataHikari said:
You're a moron.

I'll admit I'm saddened by the fact that an idiotic, unfunny little slug like Yathzee can have any semblance of popularity instead of being treated like the lame dime a dozen internet troll he is, but the fact that he is popular means that when he makes baseless statements and factually wrong "reviews" disguised as humor people who know he's wrong need to say so.
30ms5y9.gif

Steve Youngblood said:
Your point being? That is the mainstream stuff that people will have had exposure to. As such, it's perfectly fair if somebody watches that and views it as representative of the medium as a whole. People do this all the time with everything. I don't understand why you feel compelled to have to step in and be the great defender of Japanese animation.

Perfectly fair? Shounen crap represents an extreme minority of anime titles that are out there. If anything, generalizing from shounen to all of anime is sophist. Shounen does not represent the entire medium, and that is for dang sure.

As for what people think of when they think of "anime style"? Well, for me -- and I'll admit that it is very inarticulate, but I don't care -- I'm using it as a vague term to criticize as what I deem as overall 'cutesiness' for lack of a better term. That's not to say that this is accurate for EVERYTHING animated from Japan, but something I've noticed frequently in my limited exposure. And I don't care for it.

The fact of the matter is that there is no anime style. Anime is a medium with thousands of styles within it. Each and every one of these styles has a different way of drawing characters. You cannot generalize to all anime from a limited exposure.

With Valkyria, what I find offputting is that Squad 7 seems way to sheltered from the horrors of war, except when they throw you into a battle scenario, or when the writers conveniently remember "Oh yeah, there's a huge war going on, right? Let's make something bad happen." Now, I'm not expecting Band of Brothers in a water color aesthetic, but they're all just too rag tag and plucky. "We're on a suicide mission! Let's go, team! Move out!"

Sheltered from the horrors of war? You face
Genocide, torture, death, and sacrifice over the course of the game
. How on earth is that sheltered?

I never cared if Alicia and Welkin got together, and thus was bored with every cutscene being Alicia trying to speak up about her feelings while Welkin made some metaphor about life being like this bug he's looking at. I hated that stupid pig. Rosie's hatred of Darcsens seemed forced and unnatural. Largo added nothing aside from a comical love of vegetables ("He looks like a red meat man, but he loves his veggies!! Haha!"). The cast just never seemed like they were in a war. I don't care about how awesome your bread is, there's an empire invading your country! Finally, I could have done with less fantasy.

It was incredibly modest love sequence between the two. It wasn't over the top teeney bopper crap you find in some other mainstream games like Final Fantasy. It is a regular courtship you may find in real life. I also don't see how you could have hated a character who made three performances over the entire game. It was also explained why Rosie hated Darcsens, and why Large liked vegetables. Just because you cannot relate to their motivations doesn't mean that their motivations are any less valid.

Are my complaints bad? No, not necessarily. But they're stuff you would find in a story of Eastern origins. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

You find these types of over the top motivations in western games as well. You are generalizing from a lack of exposure to the genre, and that is an incredible disservice.

Durante said:
This is a very confused argument. Anime is not a genre. (Neither, for that matter, are American comic books) It's a medium.
To the uninitiated, though, they are pretty much genres. If you don't immerse yourself in it, they both have a pretty homogenous feel. Show me any anime airing on TV right now, and within 30 seconds, I'm probably going to go "Ah, anime! Not interested." American comics are the same way. Is there a lot of variety out there SOMEWHERE? Absolutely. However, most people associate them with superhero comics. If that isn't your cup of tea, you probably will never venture into a comic book store.

vandalvideo said:
Perfectly fair? Shounen crap represents an extreme minority of anime titles that are out there. If anything, generalizing from shounen to all of anime is sophist. Shounen does not represent the entire medium, and that is for dang sure.
I meant "perfectly fair" in the "who cares?" sense. It's a form of entertainment. That's it. Who cares if somebody wrote it off before giving it a fair shake? Does that affect your enjoyment of it?

Durante

Steve Youngblood said:
To the uninitiated, though, they are pretty much genres. If you don't immerse yourself in it, they both have a pretty homogenous feel. Show me any anime airing on TV right now, and within 30 seconds, I'm probably going to go "Ah, anime! Not interested." American comics are the same way. Is there a lot of variety out there SOMEWHERE? Absolutely. However, most people associate them with superhero comics. If that isn't your cup of tea, you probably will never venture into a comic book store.
Actually, I've not read a single American comic book in my life and I can still tell that "comic book" is a medium and not a genre. It's inherent in what it is. It's a type of material and technique, not a category of composition and expression.

Steve Youngblood said:
Who cares if somebody wrote it off before giving it a fair shake? Does that affect your enjoyment of it?
Not at all. It certainly does affect their ability to provide qualified comment on it though.

Anyway, this is off topic and I think vandalvideo already more than adequatly dealt with the matter as it pertains to game on the last page.

Steve Youngblood said:
I meant "perfectly fair" in the "who cares?" sense. It's a form of entertainment. That's it. Who cares if somebody wrote it off before giving it a fair shake? Does that affect your enjoyment of it?

When people are discounting an entire medium because of a lack of exposure, this requires atleast partial correction. Who knows, maybe those people may find anime that they really, really enjoy. I've recommended anime that I've been messaged later and told was amazing. And this was from some of the most close minded anime haters.

Durante said:
Actually, I've not read a single American comic book in my life and I can still tell that "comic book" is a medium and not a genre. It's inherent in what it is. It's a type of material and technique, not a category of composition and expression.
Would you like it if I concede defeat? Yes, technically, you are very correct. I'm way off base. All I'm arguing from is the perception that all American comics feature superhero tales, and thus it might as well just be a genre. If I walk past the comic book rack at Border's, I'm going to see this month's Batman, Superman, X-Men, The Hulk, Spiderman, and so on. Maybe an Archie comic.

But fine. It's a medium, you're right.
vandalvideo said:
I've recommended anime that I've been messaged later and told was amazing. And this was from some of the most close minded anime haters.
That's cool. And if I ever find myself with some spare time lamenting that I've unfairly written off Japanese animation, I'll hit you up for some recommendations. Until then, I'll sleep just fine thinking it's not my cup of tea. Just like I'm comfortable stating that I hate rap and country music despite the fact that there may be some wonderful independent stuff out there that isn't on the radio. C'est la vie.

Durante

Steve Youngblood said:
Would you like it if I concede defeat?
Of course I would! There is nothing better in life than to crush your enemies and see them driven before you. You wouldn't happen to have any women that could perhaps lament a bit?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hcoregamer00 said:
Nice, a fellow marmite fan.

With the VC anime, I agree with your assertion. Granted, you have to consider the market for the anime is probably a little bit younger and more immature than the game. Of course, immature and Valkyria Chronicles actually fit quite well since the game never took itself too seriously.

It's hard to be a guy who admits to liking Marimite. Thank god for the Internet I suppose. :lol

And, I haven't read the manga... and it's probably never going to be released here, but my understanding is that it's fairly gruesome in its depiction of war and its affect on Alicia and the others. It's more akin to like Saving Private Ryan or something.

But yeah, it's understandable that the anime is reaching a younger audience. Clearly this last episode was meant to lighten things up considerably anyway.

Steve Youngblood said:

You'd probably want to find the manga adaptation of the story then. In fact, it looks like it's been scanlated.
I probably can't link, but if you look for Vol 1, Chapter 1, page 29... well, it's clear that the manga is trying to be more serious than the game.

grandjedi6 said:

Wait...who was the poster who came into this thread with no motive other than to call others "overly defensive fanboys?"

grandjedi6 said:
ah, I was wondering where all the overly defensive fanboys were for this week's Yahtzee review.

Oh. It was you, Mr. Pot. I see you've already introduced yourself to Mr. Kettle and compared colors...

:lol

Pristine_Condition said:
Wait...who was the poster who came into this thread with no motive other than to call others "overly defensive fanboys?"
I'm thinking that his point was to call out the absurdity of challenging Yahtzee's critique. How long has Yahtzee been doing this? It's been a while. And his shtick has always been exactly the same. He trolls games for comedic effect. Sure, he might sprinkle in some insightful critique here and there, but it's 95% trolling for laughs.

Take jabs at his comedy for being lame, if you want. But mocking his ability to legitimately critique games is a futile effort, as that's not what he's about.

Steve Youngblood said:
I'm thinking that his point was to call out the absurdity of challenging Yahtzee's critique.

That would be great if there actually were a bunch of "overly defensive fanboys" in this thread doing that, but actually, there aren't.

The vast majority of people in this thread either don't care about Yahtzee's comments, or have agreed with some of them. Amost everyone understands his "schtick" by now, and the people in this thread are no different. The only one real "challenge" post was one person accusing the guy of not playing the game and not being funny, and most everyone ignored that. The only other "challenge" was a couple people disagreeing with his idea that defensive fire shouldn't be in the game, which is completely reasonable.

So his point in calling a remarkably reasonable bunch of posters (for GAF, anyway) "overly defensive fanboys" was to stir shit, not to point out absurdity. Thankfully, most posters ignored the bait. I didn't care about his comment either, until he got on the hypocritical highhorse about ad homonym attacks, which I thought was comical.

Steve Youngblood said:
How long has Yahtzee been doing this? It's been a while. And his shtick has always been exactly the same. He trolls games for comedic effect. Sure, he might sprinkle in some insightful critique here and there, but it's 95% trolling for laughs.

Take jabs at his comedy for being lame, if you want. But mocking his ability to legitimately critique games is a futile effort, as that's not what he's about.

If you look at the thread, that's what you'll find the vast majority of people here doing. Actually, you'll find the vast majority of posts since the ZP review aren't even discussing the ZP review. The hottest debate is whether VC's story is "paint-by-numbers" anime style or not. This debate started in this thread well before Yahtzee's review.

I'm not sure why you want to defend grandjedi6's conduct here...

Owensboro

Holy crap can this thread get back on track? I'll give it a push:

I finally bought all 3 DLC's last night and so far I'm ... disappointed. I think in the end I just chose the wrong pack to start with. I played Edy's Mission and was completely surprised that it only contained 1 map. I guess that's what I get for not reading and just blindly buying ("More Valkyria Chronicles?! BUY BUY BUY!), but I feel a little ripped off for spending $5 on it.

From what I've now read, Sylvaria's DLC has multiple maps (4 correct?) and the Extra Hard skirmishes give me, what, 8 more insanely hard maps?. I'm excited about playing those and they seem worth the money, but $5 for 1 Map Sega? That one hurts.

I will say that up until I found out it was only one map, I was having a great time with Edy's Mission. I loved how they focused on a lot of characters that weren't involved in the main story (and that I never used other then the Sniper). During my first play through I was able to beat it in
5 turns
. Keep in mind that involves loosing multiple times because of poor positioning on my part (crossfire causing people guarding a side to get hit and turn around during the enemy's phase). Also, it kind of sucks I didn't get any XP from the missions. I purposely didn't power level any classes because I was hoping you get XP from the DLC. Oh well. Time to go back through the game one more time and Max out all my classes.

Looking forward to Selvaria's DLC.

Steve Youngblood said:
I'm not really defending it. I am, however, not sure why it's provoking such a response. It was just a glib one-liner.

It never occurred to you that some comments, in and of themselves, (like coming into a thread and calling people "overly defensive fanboys") are designed to elicit a response?

This may help:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081127202402AAni8iy

Owensboro said:
Holy crap can this thread get back on track? I'll give it a push:

Sorry.

I came in here to respond to this:

Speevy said:
Woohoo, chapter 11 cleared. That one was freaking brutal, I need higher levels.

Yeah. You do. You're facing all Elite troops from here on out. Better be up for the challenge. Grinding a little on skirmishes isn't a bad thing. Just don't go overboard or you'll spoil the fun.

Owensboro

Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah. You do. You're facing all Elite troops from here on out. Better be up for the challenge. Grinding a little on skirmishes isn't a bad thing. Just don't go overboard or you'll spoil the fun.

It's strange you say that, because I never needed to do some "leveling" ever. Or at least I never viewed it that way. As long as you play new Skirmishes when they open, and play the extra missions (Largo's Mission, etc...) you shouldn't have a problem with levels (although a few missions will be as you said "rough").

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Pristine_Condition said:
It never occurred to you that some comments, in and of themselves, (like coming into a thread and calling people "overly defensive fanboys") are designed to elicit a response?

This may help:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081127202402AAni8iy

Hey now, I was being serious with my post. I sincerely did wonder where the usual bickering was in the Zero Punctuation thread this week as the thread was pretty barren, and lo and behold, it had merely moved to the official thread. As for "overly defensive fanboys", well, I just didn't want to name names :)

Owensboro said:
It's strange you say that, because I never needed to do some "leveling" ever. Or at least I never viewed it that way. As long as you play new Skirmishes when they open, and play the extra missions (Largo's Mission, etc...) you shouldn't have a problem with levels (although a few missions will be as you said "rough").
I got through the game playing only the first two skirmishes one time each. I did all the extra missions, though.

Speevy

Banned
Durante said:
What a straw man.

Sorry it's taken me such a long time to respond, but did you read this by any chance?

Ten bucks says the most anime you've watched are the crappy shounen like One Peice, Naruto, and Dragonball crap.

I'm trying to excuse myself from this discussion, not add to it.

Speevy

Banned
When you guys say "extra missions", are you talking about the DLC or is there something I'm missing?

Does the DLC add experience to your party?

Speevy said:
When you guys say "extra missions", are you talking about the DLC or is there something I'm missing?

Does the DLC add experience to your party?

He's talking about the reporter's missions, I believe. If you pay the reporter, sides open up.

Speevy

Banned
I'm now at Chapter 15. I have enjoyed the last few missions, and look forward to the final few.

Although I'm growing a little tired of turrets and rockets, and would prefer a straight up firefight between evenly matched armies.

Speevy

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
He's talking about the reporter's missions, I believe. If you pay the reporter, sides open up.

Now I've done two of these, really handy for extra experience.

I'm waiting for the "mortar support" order I've been reading about.

bycha

April NPD

PS3 THE GODFATHER II
PS3 MLB '09: THE SHOW
PS3 RESIDENT EVIL 5
PS3 KILLZONE 2
PS3 GUITAR HERO METALLICA
PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR
PS3 X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE UNCAGED ED
PS3 GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH
PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV
PS3 VALKYRIA CHRONICLES
PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV
PS3 WHEELMAN W/ VIN DIESEL
PS3 CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ASSAULT ON DARK ATHENA

This game in number 10 in PS3 chart. That means at least another 25-30K right? We also see the Best edition frequently in Japans Chart.

Word of mouth is definitely working -- really strong legs for this game.

With this kinda legs is 1 mil possible for this game?

RpgN

bycha said:
April NPD

PS3 THE GODFATHER II
PS3 RESIDENT EVIL 5
PS3 KILLZONE 2
PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV
PS3 VALKYRIA CHRONICLES
PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV

This game in number 10 in PS3 chart. That means at least another 25-30K right? We also see the Best edition frequently in Japans Chart.

o_0 This game appearing on NPD charts after like 5-6 months?! I agree, strong legs. But a million...that's asking for much. Still, I'm happy for this. Thanks for sharing the info ^-^

bycha

1m WW is 330K per region.

It did 142K in Japan last year and returned to charts with The Best Edition.

It is selling now at $45 on amazon and #67 in video games overall (outselling Fallout 3 PS3 at $45 etc) which is really good.

Europe can fall in line with US if things go good.

Chris R

bycha said:
April NPD

PS3 THE GODFATHER II
PS3 RESIDENT EVIL 5
PS3 KILLZONE 2
PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV
PS3 VALKYRIA CHRONICLES
PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV

Game wont have legs if people can't buy it. Where two months ago I'd have no problem at all finding a copy locally at any store, in my recent visits to a few different stores, not a copy to be found.

sol_bad

Is there any word on a trophy patch for this game? I heard there was going to be one, I've been holding off just in case.

RpgN

bycha said:
1m WW is 330K per region.

It did 142K in Japan last year and returned to charts with The Best Edition.

It is selling now at $45 on amazon and #67 in video games overall (outselling Fallout 3 PS3 at $45 etc) which is really good.

Europe can fall in line with US if things go good.

actually it did more than 150k and now it's selling somewhere around 193 including the best version in Japan. A 200k is certain, 250k maybe but low possibility. In the US the leaked LTD numbers until January were 74k, including this month, it's probably 100-110k. But then we have February and March left that didn't make it in the top 10. It might have sold 140-150k in the US so far but that's just playing guessing. And we know nothing about Europe. 1 million is really stretching it, with luck it might sell more than 500k world-wide. Of course I hope for more than a million but keep it realistic.

rhfb said:
Game wont have legs if people can't buy it. Where two months ago I'd have no problem at all finding a copy locally at any store, in my recent visits to a few different stores, not a copy to be found.

why dont you order online?

Is there any word on a trophy patch for this game? I heard there was going to be one, I've been holding off just in case.

nope, buy and enjoy the game now. its worth it.

The story is shit. One needs look no further than the scenes with the pig.

Luckily the gameplay is as good as it is.

Because the story is shit. The characters (some) had a chance, but unfortunately if there was any nuance to them it got lost in translation.

KTallguy

Banned
I dunno, I was pretty shocked at some of the events after the smoke bomb mission (I just got there, I'm slow).

The Pig is dumb, of course, but I like the characters all right.
I'm playing it in Japanese though.

I would say that the story is better than most shonen crap, but it's still pretty fluffy.

Lain

To this day, I still don't see what is wrong with the story of the game or stuff like the pig scene.
It all felt very manga/anime, which I thought was the aim of the game. So I don't see how that can be seen as a glaring fault or making the story shit.

Well, the story is basically a good representation of everything I don't like in my anime/manga. It was rather predictable, full of kitsch and at some points outright embarrasing. It's really a shame, because apart from that the presentation is superb. Great soundtrack, unique art style and even two or three well made character designs.

Top Bottom