• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

rhfb said:
Game wont have legs if people can't buy it. Where two months ago I'd have no problem at all finding a copy locally at any store, in my recent visits to a few different stores, not a copy to be found.

my Wal-Mart has tons of copies...people can just send me money and I'll buy copies for people. :p

Darkpen

Banned
Why is there hate for Hans? I thought Hans was fine D: Pretty typical manga fare.

I guess some people here just hate fun, rainbows, and light-hearted comedy being sprinkled on their serious war stories :/

Speaking of Hans, just saw episode 5.... :lol :lol when Marina looks at the piles of meat and asks where Hans is :lol :lol oh no :lol

Facism

Darkpen said:
Why is there hate for Hans? I thought Hans was fine D: Pretty typical manga fare.

I guess some people here just hate fun, rainbows, and light-hearted comedy being sprinkled on their serious war stories :/

Speaking of Hans, just saw episode 5.... :lol :lol when Marina looks at the piles of meat and asks where Hans is :lol :lol oh no :lol

Hans has no business outside of a bap with some ketchup.

The fucking porker cunt.

I took up the game again and just finished chapter 11. OMG... did not see that coming ;(

My scouts, shocktroopers and snipers are elite, am I keeping up with the progress? Chapter 11 was pretty easy, but maybe that was just the level?

ilbambino

I just finished the game today, and must say it was an incredible experience. Played it for 55 hours. Any chance we get a sequel for it? or another game along these lines?

He doesn't like anime and JRPG's. Whatever else VC might be it most definitely still is an anime inspired JRPG.

So why is everyone so surprised he didn't like it?

As to his complaints about the turn based nature of the game I don't really know what to say. Yes everyone shoots at you while you move... No that's not realistic... was this game supposed to be a combat sim?

Tenkei

Lain said:
To this day, I still don't see what is wrong with the story of the game or stuff like the pig scene.
It all felt very manga/anime, which I thought was the aim of the game. So I don't see how that can be seen as a glaring fault or making the story shit.
Imagine that you've heard second hand that the game boasts excellent gameplay and a good anime-style story. You like what you see with regards to the art direction, and you've enjoyed the demo you've played. You buy a copy of the game and play immediately. You may have some minor annoyances with the interface at first, but it's not enough to distract from the meat of the game. You've played many JRPGs in your time, have watched many anime, and have read many manga; you hope that the game will be something that you can recommend to your friends who prefer story-driven narratives in games, but have preconceptions about anime stories in general.

As the story unfolds, you willingly lose the ridiculous expectation that the writing will be achieve the calibre of Urasawa's Monster, because one of the last games that came close to such a feat, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, was made 14 years ago. The feeling you get from the story so far does remind you of Happy!, a manga with a completely unrelated theme, but with excellent characterisation, so you're still willing to give it a chance. So what if the characters act as if they're playing war in a park? If you have to experience something as terrible as war, and if you cannot do anything to remind yourself that you're human (like say, baking), there's a good chance that you'll break down.

You start to believe that the story can be considered a humanist take on war, but then... that stupid mascot character enters the picture. PLANETES is replaced with a mediocre series about "moe" magical girls and talking animal familiars. You want to think that the writers suddenly decided to try and appeal to a completely unrelated demographic, but as you continue through the game, you realise that what the writers really did was pull an Asura Cryin'; they threw every single anime convention that they could think of into the world and hoped that, somehow, the elements would combine into a compelling story.

To me (I mean, you, if you're still imagining this scenario) Valkyria Chronicles' story is like most of the anime I've seen that I consider to be so-so; an interesting premise that only goes downhill from there. To my friends, to whom I want to recommend the game, this would be the anime equivalent of a rick-roll.

Tenkei said:
To my friends, to whom I want to recommend the game, this would be the anime equivalent of a rick-roll.

All that reading, and this line sums up your entire paragraph.

I dunno man, that's to say that you were incredibly disappointed with the overall story and theme. You're entitled to your own opinion, but many on this forum don't have that same opinion.

(now let's stop beating this dead pig, er, horse.)

TheExodu5

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
TROPHY PATCH IS UP! GO BUY THE GAME NAO!!!

Wait...seriously? Shit, I'm totally playing this again. I got distracted last year and didn't completel chapter 7.

Time to restart the game!

Tenkei said:
Imagine that you've heard second hand that the game boasts excellent gameplay and a good anime-style story..

I still don't understand how World War 2 is an anime story. There is no such thing as an anime story. Anime is a MEDIUM.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
vandalvideo said:
I still don't understand how World War 2 is an anime story. There is no such thing as an anime story. Anime is a MEDIUM.

When people think of anime, they only think of big eyes and crappy episodic storytelling.

9d6e8f05.gif

Little do they know that there is no such standard for anything anime.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yes it is, VC is a strategy RPG, a subgenre of Japanese RPG's.
Final Fantasy Tactics is a Stratagy RPG, Disgaea is a SRPG.

VC is not. Combine money and EXP together and use only one set of points to upgrade characters and almost nothing changes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tenkei said:
Imagine that you've heard second hand that the game boasts excellent gameplay and a good anime-style story. You like what you see with regards to the art direction, and you've enjoyed the demo you've played. You buy a copy of the game and play immediately. You may have some minor annoyances with the interface at first, but it's not enough to distract from the meat of the game. You've played many JRPGs in your time, have watched many anime, and have read many manga; you hope that the game will be something that you can recommend to your friends who prefer story-driven narratives in games, but have preconceptions about anime stories in general.

As the story unfolds, you willingly lose the ridiculous expectation that the writing will be achieve the calibre of Urasawa's Monster, because one of the last games that came close to such a feat, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, was made 14 years ago. The feeling you get from the story so far does remind you of Happy!, a manga with a completely unrelated theme, but with excellent characterisation, so you're still willing to give it a chance. So what if the characters act as if they're playing war in a park? If you have to experience something as terrible as war, and if you cannot do anything to remind yourself that you're human (like say, baking), there's a good chance that you'll break down.

You start to believe that the story can be considered a humanist take on war, but then... that stupid mascot character enters the picture. PLANETES is replaced with a mediocre series about "moe" magical girls and talking animal familiars. You want to think that the writers suddenly decided to try and appeal to a completely unrelated demographic, but as you continue through the game, you realise that what the writers really did was pull an Asura Cryin'; they threw every single anime convention that they could think of into the world and hoped that, somehow, the elements would combine into a compelling story.

To me (I mean, you, if you're still imagining this scenario) Valkyria Chronicles' story is like most of the anime I've seen that I consider to be so-so; an interesting premise that only goes downhill from there. To my friends, to whom I want to recommend the game, this would be the anime equivalent of a rick-roll.

Hah, you'd probably hate the anime adaptation I imagine. I will give the game for being more subtle than other games, anime inspired or not... at least it's not Gears of War 2 silly.

Darkpen

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
When people think of anime, they only think of big eyes and crappy episodic storytelling.

9d6e8f05.gif

While I do agree, you can't deny that a lot of anime and mainstream Japanese storytelling shares certain character archetypes and storytelling tropes. Its easy to identify them, but I definitely appreciate it when the writer molds a character in such a way that breaks away from the stereotype surrounding that type, notably with how VC handled Alicia, and animes/lightnovels like Toradora.

Aru

Hcoregamer00 said:

9d6e8f05.gif

Code Geass, eh ?
VC reminded me of Code Geass a few times, especially Maximilian.

But storywise, VC < Code Geass.
I want a Code Geass game with the Canvas engine and VC's gameplay :(

Darkpen said:
While I do agree, you can't deny that a lot of anime and mainstream Japanese storytelling shares certain character archetypes and storytelling tropes. Its easy to identify them, but I definitely appreciate it when the writer molds a character in such a way that breaks away from the stereotype surrounding that type, notably with how VC handled Alicia, and animes/lightnovels like Toradora.

You wanna compare Alicia, a maternal spirit, with a girl plagued by a
Hentai childhood friend
? I think the dynamics there are a little bit more intricate than that. Besides, character archetypes go across genres. There isn't any archetypes in anime that you won't find in other mediums. Most of these stereotypes originated from people only watching shounen.

CloakBass

Do the characters act differently in the game as opposed to the anime? Or rather, if I'm hating the anime thus far would I still be able to enjoy the game? I started watching it in the hopes that it might help me decide whether or not I should purchase the game, but I've only come away hating most of the characters so far. The demo's gameplay didn't wow me or anything, but I was thinking it must have had a great story or something with all the praise that has been heaped on it.

CloakBass said:
Do the characters act differently in the game as opposed to the anime? Or rather, if I'm hating the anime thus far would I still be able to enjoy the game? I started watching it in the hopes that it might help me decide whether or not I should purchase the game, but I've only come away hating most of the characters so far. The demo's gameplay didn't wow me or anything, but I was thinking it must have had a great story or something with all the praise that has been heaped on it.

Yes, the characters do act differently in the anime. They are far more stereotypical in the anime version. Alicia is tsun, the hero's friend is a lady fiend, and the hero is absent minded. They are pretty different in the actual game.

Tenkei

vandalvideo said:
Sorry, I should have said, "story containing elements and pacing unique to anime, possibly a result of the cultural differences and storytelling expectations between the East and the West." You only have to look at the Japanese version of Power Puff Girls to know what I mean. Monster's anime adaption was nearly a replica of the manga and my friends loved watching it, but the way it was presented had an "anime vibe", for lack of a better term.

Anyway, I loved Valkyria's battle system, just as I loved Star Ocean 4's battle system. I just wish that the games had better stories attached to them. I will admit however, that Valkyria's story does not need to be reworked as much as SO4.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
vandalvideo said:
Yes, the characters do act differently in the anime. They are far more stereotypical in the anime version. Alicia is tsun, the hero's friend is a lady fiend, and the hero is absent minded. They are pretty different in the actual game.

Simple, a different market.

I hate to say it, but the game is aimed towards a more "sophisticated market" compared to the anime. They had to dumb down many elements of the story and change the characters into anime archetypes.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow, I just started up this game yesterday. I LOVE it! I fell in love with the demo of this a long time ago, well I finally got on summer break and some cash for the game. I just bought like 5 PS3 games this past week, but this is the one I've been playing. Great story, I love the characters and the art style, the music, and the strategy of the game. It's all a lot of fun and a great experience (so far haha!).

... and yeah I thought Yahtzee's review of the game was hilarious. I feel bad for you guys who are taking him seriously. I'm convinced after watching so many of his videos that he deliberately nit-picks and "hates" on games for the sole purpose of being funny any getting everyone pissed off about him. He's reviewed about five of my favorite games and he absolutely hates him, but I think the reviews are hilarious. He's the equilvalent of a modern day Angry Video Game Nerd who just HATES on everything for the purpose of being funny. I honestly don't believe that he believes anything he says in his review. Like AVGN, it's all about portraying himself as this "character" and that's the joke.

Well, finally got to finish this game (I bought a PS3 from someone on GAF just to play this and other games I wanted, but this was the one game that was included) and I love it...(working on my second playthrough now, and hard mode). I suppose I must admit, I came to play it due to a friend of mine saying it reminded him of the Shining Force series...and although I think he was mistaken in generalising the game as such..I am now a fan of this game as well.

To go into specifics, I liked the character interactons and potential system, but do wish they fleshed out the characters (The exception seemed to be the Edy mission, but those were just a few of ther characters out of the lot.)

Another praise/criticism I had was the sometimes odd consistency of the difficulty in the game. Like on
the first battle against Maximillian
made for very many frustrations and near controller thorws, where other levels were piss-easy. (and now on my secnd playthrough, my problem is less to due with difficulty, but more 'over-confidence' on my part!)

Anyway, loved this game...recommending to others as best as I can. Did have a question..
I thought I read on one of the FAQS there was another report involving Cordelia or something...is this true, or what? Oh, and if you get an A-rank on the bonus mission from the DLC anything else get unlocked? I don't care much for trying to A-rank that one right now...

Oh, and a BIG thank you to all the fans of this game here...helped me know I am not alone liking this game!

I finished the Edy Detachment DLC. The price of admission was definitely worth it! The fact that it has multiple endings that are all rewarding give it really good replayability too.

I love the colorful motley crew they picked, and it really brings out their personalities very well. Edy is definitely still my favorite character, so I'm glad she was the main focus of this.

Gonna do the Selveria missions next!

Oh, to note, you probably shouldn't play the DLC until after you finish the game. There are some plot spoilers in them, especially the Edy Detachment.

As expected fansubs have dried up for the Valkyria anime because a lot of fansubbers are just glory seeking assholes who are done with a series because theyve blasted out a few quick speed subs and beaten their peers maybe in quality, ready to jump onto the next new series and repeat the cycle.

Annoying, as I was really getting into it. Hopefully someone that actually isn't an asshole rises to the challenge to continue it.

Glad to see the game experienced a massive sales surge due to all the promotion. Who would have thought getting word out about your game in a quieter period of releases with a barrage of advertising would result in more sales. Truly, its as if thats what they fucking should have done in the first place.

Zen

Banned
I'd love to see the North America LTD for this title, especially sinc eit only sold, what 30k in its first month? Seems to have gone on to become somewhat of a sleeper hit.

Top Bottom