• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Dyno

I'm late to the party and have just finished Chapter 2. So far it's a nice change of pace in a very pretty package. Challenging too! I'm glad I saved in the middle of a couple fights!

I'm collecting experience and money, it seems. Can I spend that stuff right away or am I not far enough into the story yet? Other than that do you any advice or strategy going in? Any tips would be appreciated.

Lain said:
Well you're lucky, someone just put it out.

Are there more info about the new announced DLC?

Batlle Challenge
There is a challenge mission for each unit type and one for the Edelweiss. Not sure what Edy has to do with it, but Japan loves her so i'm not surprised. Given the price it's definitely mini-game style

Sniper Challenge - discover and shoot small targets in the map
Scout Challenge - sneak into the enemy base without being discovered
Lancer Challenge (not sure)
Shocktrooper Challenge (not sure)
Engineer Challenge - repair a division of Gallian tanks while they are under fire
Edelweiss Challenge (not sure)

300 yen releases next week

ianp622

BlazingDarkness said:
Batlle Challenge
There is a challenge mission for each unit type and one for the Edelweiss. Not sure what Edy has to do with it, but Japan loves her so i'm not surprised. Given the price it's definitely mini-game style

Sniper Challenge - discover and shoot small targets in the map
Scout Challenge - sneak into the enemy base without being discovered
Lancer Challenge (not sure)
Shocktrooper Challenge (not sure)
Engineer Challenge - repair a division of Gallian tanks while they are under fire
Edelweiss Challenge (not sure)

300 yen releases next week

Dang, I was hoping for multiplayer.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
CO_Andy said:
Selvaria's like obese in the anime. Too much of that home cookin' i guess.

They also gave her a more vicious personality than the Game, she is nowhere near as likable.

ianp622 said:
I can dream can't I?

Dreams are nice.

I wish I had a job that paid $150,000 a year
I wish I could buy a $1,500 lens for my Canon SLR

Yeah, not happening.

Lain

Darkpen said:
$3 per challenge? What?? I hope they sell the entire thing as a bundle at a lower price :/

? I'm guessing it is 300yen for the whole package, not 300 for each challenge.

Darkpen

Banned
okay, seriously? I just watched the episode, and I came away with zero impression that she got larger tits or whatever that now-broken image supposedly implied.

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Also, I think her personality is a little sharper in the anime, but there's still hope!

edit: oh, the image isn't broken anymore. Huh.

That's just poor art :/

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay so I'm still very early on in the game, like mission 5. And I'm having some frustrations with this game so far. It's become apparent to me that the best way to proceed through every mission is to first "scout" the first couple of moves to see what type of soldiers you are going to need and then restart the mission. Otherwise there is no way to know what type of soldiers you are going to need before a battle actually happens. That's kind of annoying.

Another annoyance along the same lines is the issues with capturing enemy camps and getting reinforcements. I've had a few missions now where I would star the mission, then capture an enemy camp during the first turn with a scout, and I just left about three other soldiers behind. Then it seems wiser that I should just simply capture the base on the first turn, and then send for reinforcements with that new base, instead of wasting turns trying to advance all the soldiers to the new point in the battle. Those slower moving guys get left behind so fast and easily. It seems that the smartest thing to do at times is not fill up your squads during the pre-battle stage, so that when you capture an enemy base you can simply call them up to the base and save time advancing them up to that point. It also pisses me off that lancers are so fucking slow they're almost worthless because it takes so many turns to bring them up into the battle where they can be useful.

... I hope I'm making sense. This game really seems to have a lot of trial and error gameplay. Since you have no idea what each battle is going to be like before it happens this is becoming a game of Saving/Loading every few minutes so I can see what's ahead and prepare sufficiently because you really have no way of knowing what type of soldiers you are going to need before the battle actually happens.

epmode

Adam Prime said:
... I hope I'm making sense. This game really seems to have a lot of trial and error gameplay.
This is very true. Especially when you start getting into the more complex boss fight missions.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
epmode said:
This is very true. Especially when you start getting into the more complex boss fight missions.

I am just doing a lot of saving after every move, and then reloading and trying something else if it doesn't work. I like the game a lot, but I mean it gets tedious to constantly have to reload and save because "oh snap, how was I supposed to know that I would need this unit here?".

Also am I using a good strategy of not deploying the max number of units before a mission and instead capturing a base first and then calling for reinforcements to fill up my units? It seems like that's a better idea because some units move so damn slow I feel like I would just be wasting turns getting them to "catch up" to the battle.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Holy fuck I've been playing the same mission for over 45 mins, and I'm still saving and reloading once I figure out a proper strategy. This is starting to piss me off, I may not make it through this game if this keeps up. I'm officially fucking frustrated. I hate it when my snipers miss shots or everyone else just misses shots when they are close, ugh. And I hate how absolutely fucking slow some units are, and in a big battlefield they become useless because they can't keep up with the battle.

It's becoming super annoying to make a move, then save the game, then make a move, then save the game. Then if battle goes wrong reload save from three moves ago.

Ugh, I am not having a good time here.

patsu

The snipers sucked at first, but they will become very deadly once you upgrade them enough.

Initially, the shocktroopers are probably your best friends.

Shadow780

Darkpen said:
okay, seriously? I just watched the episode, and I came away with zero impression that she got larger tits or whatever that now-broken image supposedly implied.

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Are you sure?:lol

Game:

val02.jpg

Anime:

2rhvk0g.jpg

Adam Prime said:
Holy fuck I've been playing the same mission for over 45 mins, and I'm still saving and reloading once I figure out a proper strategy. This is starting to piss me off, I may not make it through this game if this keeps up. I'm officially fucking frustrated. I hate it when my snipers miss shots or everyone else just misses shots when they are close, ugh. And I hate how absolutely fucking slow some units are, and in a big battlefield they become useless because they can't keep up with the battle.

It's becoming super annoying to make a move, then save the game, then make a move, then save the game. Then if battle goes wrong reload save from three moves ago.

For your slower units, try retreating them at one base and re-deploying them from one nearer the frontline. Only takes 2 cp and beats spending loads of cp trying to keep them up with the faster units. Also the strategy you mention of leaving empty slots at the start of the battle so you can deploy them instantly at bases you later capture is a good one.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Finally caught up on the anime. Very interesting the changes they've made, but I rather like that they've changed a few things to keep it interesting.

Plus, they're giving Jaeger more screen time, which automatically wins. :D

ianp622

Adam Prime said:
Okay so I'm still very early on in the game, like mission 5. And I'm having some frustrations with this game so far. It's become apparent to me that the best way to proceed through every mission is to first "scout" the first couple of moves to see what type of soldiers you are going to need and then restart the mission. Otherwise there is no way to know what type of soldiers you are going to need before a battle actually happens. That's kind of annoying.

The only time I do that is in Expert Skirmish missions, or some special missions like 7. I always just did a balance of units: 1 engineer, 1 Lancer, 1 Sniper(if you have them high level enough, otherwise just forget about them), then divide the rest 60-40 scout and shocktrooper. Scouts should be your mainstay, shocktroopers are good for holding the line and close combat. Although you might not be able to in the beginning, try to get close enough to almost guarantee a kill.

Adam Prime said:
Another annoyance along the same lines is the issues with capturing enemy camps and getting reinforcements. I've had a few missions now where I would star the mission, then capture an enemy camp during the first turn with a scout, and I just left about three other soldiers behind. Then it seems wiser that I should just simply capture the base on the first turn, and then send for reinforcements with that new base, instead of wasting turns trying to advance all the soldiers to the new point in the battle. Those slower moving guys get left behind so fast and easily. It seems that the smartest thing to do at times is not fill up your squads during the pre-battle stage, so that when you capture an enemy base you can simply call them up to the base and save time advancing them up to that point. It also pisses me off that lancers are so fucking slow they're almost worthless because it takes so many turns to bring them up into the battle where they can be useful.

This is true for large maps like Barious Desert, but not for all of them. Remember it uses a command point to call for a reinforcement. Also, many times you don't need the full squad to capture the last base or finish the objective, you usually just need 1 or 2 good scouts.

Adam Prime said:
... I hope I'm making sense. This game really seems to have a lot of trial and error gameplay. Since you have no idea what each battle is going to be like before it happens this is becoming a game of Saving/Loading every few minutes so I can see what's ahead and prepare sufficiently because you really have no way of knowing what type of soldiers you are going to need before the battle actually happens.

It's only like this for a few missions, and if you follow my guidelines for unit selection, you shouldn't need to restart for 90% of the missions. You are trying to take out the spontaneity of the game and the challenge of making due with what you have. Orders are especially good for balancing a squad. Demolition shot lets you kill tanks with scouts, for example.

Adam Prime said:
I am just doing a lot of saving after every move, and then reloading and trying something else if it doesn't work. I like the game a lot, but I mean it gets tedious to constantly have to reload and save because "oh snap, how was I supposed to know that I would need this unit here?".

Also am I using a good strategy of not deploying the max number of units before a mission and instead capturing a base first and then calling for reinforcements to fill up my units? It seems like that's a better idea because some units move so damn slow I feel like I would just be wasting turns getting them to "catch up" to the battle.

Don't try to finish the mission perfectly every time. I think you'll find more satisfaction if you just go with the flow and not restart every time something isn't optimal. The majority of the campaign missions I finished the first time I played them.

And as I said, that's a good strategy for larger maps.

Adam Prime said:

I've never done the "Save every move" tactic, even on Expert missions. It seems like a horrible way to play the game. Why not play some skirmishes to get your units to a higher level? Also, are you planning ahead?

For example, you should use cover even when firing, because that means that you have less of a chance to get hit if you don't kill the unit outright.

Make sure when you move a unit, you don't leave his or her back turned to the enemy.

Try "skulking": move out of hiding to get a shot at an enemy, then go back into hiding so they can't shoot you on their turn.

Try to kill enemy officers so the enemy doesn't have as many command points.

Finally, you don't need to kill every enemy.

What mission are you stuck on by the way?

Fuck. I lost my saves cause my PS3 died. Just got it back, but have to start all over again.... Hopefully it's more fun second time through. :lol :lol :lol

Adam Prime said:

First off, it's like fog of war, so it's all about being surprised, and reacting to it properly. So your scouts are useful for that.

Secondly, you're rushing in too fast, that's why your scouts die, and your lancers never catch up. You need to move your scouts in carefully. Since they have longer viewing distance, they generally will be out of attack range. Once enemies are spotted, either sneak by, or end the scout's turn.

Use your snipers at that point to snipe, or advance your shock troopers to position and jam in the next turn. Your lancers should always be tagging behind, and they'll catch up once your team is jammed by an enemy tank. That's when Lancers become useful.

Don't rush, take it easy, Save once per phase instead, and it's okay if your characters die. Don't take it so seriously and you'll enjoy this game much more.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Alright well I've had a much better playing session of this today. Thanks to those posters who offered some better advice on how to play the game.

I think you guys are right, especially the last poster who said that I just needed to "take it easy, don't take it too serious". I was getting all pissed last night everytime I would have a soldier die or I felt like I was "wasting" a move. I completed mission six not even saving/reloading once, just playing the mission as it was dealt. I got guys killed and made a few "stupid" moves that I regretted, but in the end I was surprised to see that I had gotten a B rank. So yeah, I think last night I was just making the game more stressed than I needed to and trying to play the game "perfect" on every turn that I was sucking the fun out of the game.

I know a lot have criticized this game's story and characters in this thread, but that's what's keeping me playing. I like the story and characters a lot, especially the nature-loving Welkin main character. He's really cool and so it Alicia. I like this game a bit more today.

Thanks for putting me back on the right path GAF.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man right now I am on the desert battle.

It is fking hard. Reading on one FAQ this is one of the toughest battles. I'm not getting frustrated yet, but jeesh this is tough. I'm pretty close to the end of the battle so I think I'm in good shape for finishing it...

... and YES I just beat it. Damn missions take forever in this game. I think I played this game for over three hours today and just managed to complete two and a half missions and a skirmish. Ugh this is going to be a LONG game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
One quick question: so do the R&D weapons that appear depend on what level your troops are? So if I level up my Scouts then the Scout weapons will appear in the Shop, or does the shop update what's available based on what mission you are in the game?

Darkpen

Banned
huh, so I guess the Edy challenge is only 300 yen, and not a bunch of separate challenges being sold at 300. I wonder if they'll sell it in the US store for $2.99, or if they'll charge 4.99 like they did with everything else.

Adam Prime: the shop updates as you go through the story. Extra exp and money always helps by end-game, but not entirely necessary either.

Just got up to Episode 12 in the anime. I have to say I am pleased they incorporated the DLC into the anime (Selvaria's missions), but I really, really want that part where
Oswald, Jaegr, and Selvaria race to help out Maximillian from those cloak-and-dagger assassins sent by Central
turned into a new DLC mission. I like how we're seeing more of the Empire's side in the anime, especially about Central and Maximillian's brother.

Darkpen

Banned
TSA said:
Just got up to Episode 12 in the anime. I have to say I am pleased they incorporated the DLC into the anime (Selvaria's missions), but I really, really want that part where
Oswald, Jaegr, and Selvaria race to help out Maximillian from those cloak-and-dagger assassins sent by Central
turned into a new DLC mission. I like how we're seeing more of the Empire's side in the anime, especially about Central and Maximillian's brother.
Oh, hell yeah. I'd love to see more DLC period :p

Defuser said:
lol they killed
Vyse

A1 pictures got balls to pull that off.
wait, what? I don't remember seeing that.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So should I finish the game first before watching the anime, or are they pretty separate from each other like the Persona anime?

Defuser

Adam Prime said:
So should I finish the game first before watching the anime, or are they pretty separate from each other like the Persona anime?
Finish the game first. The anime changes alot of stuff.

I really need to get around to finishing this game. I had just gotten to Chapter 8 when I stopped playing. I don't have any particular reason for it; I just have so many games in my backlog it isn't funny, and Tuesday begins my crash course in BlazBlue. At least the way the chapters are set up, it'll be easy for me to give myself a refresher on the storyline when I come back to it. :)

Quixzlizx

Adam Prime said:

You could always... not save and reload. It's like claiming that the difficulty level of a 2D platformer is frustrating and jamming the save state key every second while playing it.

Edit: Scrolling down, apparently you've decided to join us in the non-reload team. Glad you're enjoying your experience more, now.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Quixzlizx said:
You could always... not save and reload. It's like claiming that the difficulty level of a 2D platformer is frustrating and jamming the save state key every second while playing it.

Edit: Scrolling down, apparently you've decided to join us in the non-reload team. Glad you're enjoying your experience more, now.

yeah I was just taking the game too seriously. Usually when I play strategy games like these I like to go for the highest rank in a mission before moving on. Reading how difficult/impossible that is on your first play through took some of the stress off me. So I just decided to play each mission as it was dealt and not worry about making it through perfect. Game is much more enjoyable now.

I still end up restarting missions like twice at the beginning just so that I can get initial soldiers ready and in a good spot and I like to have that first turn "mastered" before moving on.

Vinnk

I am sure this has been address ealire in the thread but I can't go through all of it. I just have a quick question.

What is the criteria for the old man at the cemetary being able to teach you an order. My first 2 visits there I was able to get new orders, but after that he always says he has nothing more to teach me. I just finished chapter 7 and I was wondering what I have to do to get more orders. Also I never got the retreat order, am I screwed? Can I still get it somehow whithout replaying from the beginnig? Thanks in advance.

I'm rather impressed with the game.

I'm at Chapter 17. It's quite fun.

My very few gripes are that you can't actually view the battlefield before the fight. I don't need to see the opponent, with the fog of war and all, but I would like to see the terrain. The map before the battle isn't descriptive enough. There's also the issue of a lack of "restart battle" button. I screwed up majorly at the beginning of 17, and ended up playing 5 excruciating levels. Ugh.

Question: Am I the only one that has found Snipers to be utterly useless, for the most part? I'd much rather fill that slot with a Scout or Engineer.

I also suspect I am vastly underleveled for my mission. Oh well!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I like snipers a lot actually. I'm on mission 8 and I just got a real good gun from an Ace that has excellent kill against humans. I love one shotting enemies, but get super pissed off when they miss! I find them to be pretty darn useful. On the skirmish that I just finished I had a sniper use all three of his bullets during a turn and killed three opponents on one shots. Pretty nice way to clear off enemies off the battlefield quickly and from a safe distance.

The only thing that sucks about them is that they're slow, so they can lag behind in the battle if you don't keep them moving. Also they can't defend themselves, so you have to leave a shock trooper or someone with them or else the enemy can run up to their face and cap them.

Adam Prime said:
The only thing that sucks about them is that they're slow, so they can lag behind in the battle if you don't keep them moving. Also they can't defend themselves, so you have to leave a shock trooper or someone with them or else the enemy can run up to their face and cap them.

They have low defense and long range. They're meant to lag behind. They're like your archers and mages in fantasy turn based RPGs. Plus their usefulness decreases as the mission progresses anyway. By the time you're half-way through the mission, your snipers should be retiring, and your scouts and shocktroopers storming the defense. Snipers need to shoot crouching enemies two or three times to kill them, and the majority of your enemies in the later half of the mission will be crouching.

Top Bottom