• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Shadow780

it appears that the system/price/release date info/etc says PSP adhoc mode compatible

Awesome_Face_bigger.png

Hcoregamer00 said:
So that brings me to my follow up question, where can I buy it in the USA?

-Play-Asia is a no go so far

-Kinokuniya is great, but I rather buy online than to drive 40 miles away and special order it.
Right, sorry about that.

There's a couple import sites that stock these kinda artbooks and are based in the U.S. as far as I can gather. One I can say works pretty good is akadot. They don't have it listed but they do special orders without the need for a down payment.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Right, sorry about that.

There's a couple import sites that stock these kinda artbooks and are based in the U.S. as far as I can gather. One I can say works pretty good is akadot. They don't have it listed but they do special orders without the need for a down payment.

I could also do that in Kinokuniya

Well, I am not complaining as long as the damn thing gets released. How I get it doesn't matter because I will find a way to get it.

Lain said:
You know what is cool about a PSP VC game? It doesn't have to have trophies!

Yes! No bitching about a lack of trophies.

:D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lain said:
You know what is cool about a PSP VC game? It doesn't have to have trophies!

lolz.

Still curious as to what Sega is going to do with that Canvas engine they spent millions on.

Darkpen

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
On VC2:

-I just saw the scans, unlike some of you I am not appalled by it.

-Sure the "Valkyria" character looks like crap, especially when she is a follow up to the awesome General Selvaria.

-As long as it has VC gameplay, I will be very happy. It would also be nice to see some cameos from the original cast.

-The anime style is definitely because of the success of the anime. The sad part is that this artstyle will probably find more acceptance than the great artstyle of the original Valkyria Chronicles.
In comparison to the character sketches and art in the limited edition artbook (if you can call it that), the new character's costume design is a sight for sore eyes.

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
lolz.

Still curious as to what Sega is going to do with that Canvas engine they spent millions on.

Sakura Taisen 6?

*Shrugs*

Darkpen said:
In comparison to the character sketches and art in the limited edition artbook (if you can call it that), the new character's costume design is a sight for sore eyes.

The success of the anime probably meant that they went for more "mainstream designs," even if Valkyria Chronicles's great design was pretty generic compared to many anime out there.

BlueWord

I'm looking forward to this; despite the art style, more Valkyria can only be a good thing, regardless of platform.

However, as I stated in the famitsu thread, I'm a little disappointed it didn't get a full-fledged, high-budget sequel. I guess the first game just didn't sell well enough... or perhaps the psp userbase is bigger?

Hcoregamer00 said:
I could also do that in Kinokuniya

Well, I am not complaining as long as the damn thing gets released. How I get it doesn't matter because I will find a way to get it.
What Kinokuniya do you go to? The one time I ever special-ordered something from them I had to put money down.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
Sakura Taisen 6?

*Shrugs*

I'm curious if they'll start making VC into more of a series now with a new version every year or two like Sega is now doing with Ryu ga Gotoku, and if this new PSP one is only the first of new things to come.

Hcoregamer00

BlueWord said:
I'm looking forward to this; despite the art style, more Valkyria can only be a good thing, regardless of platform.

However, as I stated in the famitsu thread, I'm a little disappointed it didn't get a full-fledged, high-budget sequel. I guess the first game just didn't sell well enough... or perhaps the psp userbase is bigger?

More likely the latter than the former.

They were probably just enticed by the PSP userbase and the promise of a console revival.

Kagari said:
I'm curious if they'll start making VC into more of a series now with a new version every year or two like Sega is now doing with Ryu ga Gotoku, and if this new PSP one is only the first of new things to come.

Ugh, I hope not.

The last thing I want is to have Valkyria Chronicles have the "Tales Syndrome."

Darkpen said:
I was REALLY hoping they'd do something super interesting with the sequel, but I fear that this will be more along the lines of a mercenary acadamy highschool drama sort of thing, based on the outfits....
I have to agree with you, the moment I saw the scans I immediately thought of "Mana Khemia".

EDIT ADDED after reading the rykomatsu translation about the whole "Gallian Government decides to throw the cadets at the Officer's academy into the front lines.":

Urrggg...

I just hope the number of characters used in-battle won't be gimped due to the platform. I like having control of my squad of ten soldiers.

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
I trust Sega not to go overboard :lol

This....is.....sega....

The same company that gives us shit sonic after shit sonic.

Milking Valkyria Chronicles and having "tales syndrome" would actually be a better scenario to what they could be doing. You know something is wrong when "tales syndrome" is one of the better things the company is capable of doing when it comes to milking and killing a franchise.

SlickVic

Wow great news on VC 2. I really love the visuals on the PS3 version so I wonder how it'll translate to the PSP but considering how slim the chances were for a sequel, I'm very happy it is indeed coming.

I really loved what I played of this game but am a bit ashamed to admit I haven't beaten it yet. Got a new comp recently which prompted me to play Crysis and now a 2nd playthrough of Fallout 3 but this thread reminded me I have to beat VC before summer's end. Last time I played I only cleared Chapter 7 so still a lot of game left to be played for me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
This....is.....sega....

The same company that gives us shit sonic after shit sonic.

Milking Valkyria Chronicles and having "tales syndrome" would actually be a better scenario to what they could be doing. You know something is wrong when "tales syndrome" is one of the better things the company is capable of doing when it comes to milking and killing a franchise.

True, but it seems that Sonic is the only series they constantly rehash and put out bad versions of.

Hcoregamer00

Enron said:
Seriously? Dear fucking God. Fuck this shit.

VC2 ruined

Yeah, it is pretty interesting they chose that scenario instead of other possibilities:

-The great Valkyria war, where they take over the world and crush the Darksen
-The first gallian war, which made general Gunther a legend.
-The rise and consolidation of the Empire

Instead of using such a possibility, they come up with this silly scenario.

Oh silly SEGA, talk about potential wasted.

Enron

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, it is pretty interesting they chose that scenario instead of other possibilities:

-The great Valkyria war, where they take over the world and crush the Darksen
-The first gallian war, which made general Gunther a legend.
-The rise and consolidation of the Empire

Instead of using such a possibility, they come up with this silly scenario.

Oh silly SEGA, talk about potential wasted.

Yeah, I was really REALLY hoping for a prequel. Instead, we get a tack-on that cheapens the first game's events and a plot that makes this sound like a shitty Gust game(oops, i mean a Gust game, they are all shitty). Fuck this shit. SO MUCH RAGEEEE

Enron said:
Yeah, I was really REALLY hoping for a prequel. Instead, we get a tack-on that cheapens the first game's events and a plot that makes this sound like a shitty Gust game. Fuck this shit. SO MUCH RAGEEEE
Yeah, it's Digimon 02 again. Cheapens the first iteration and just phones it in.

But who knows, apparently the Skies of Arcadia guys didn't make anything ever since then before Valkyria came along right? Maybe we aren't giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Darkpen

Banned
Oh fuck me, I was right. You play as fucking acadamy students. Fuck.

I hope the main character isn't douchy, because he looks douchy.

The gameplay sounds like it'll be short mission-based gameplay, a la Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7. Makes sense.

Its good to know they're furthering the story by touching on racial discrimination and civil rights.
Curious that considering the Princess revealed herself to be Darcscen, that things didn't go terribly smoothly.
<==real spoiler

Hcoregamer00

Enron said:
Yeah, I was really REALLY hoping for a prequel. Instead, we get a tack-on that cheapens the first game's events and a plot that makes this sound like a shitty Gust game(oops, i mean a Gust game, they are all shitty). Fuck this shit. SO MUCH RAGEEEE

It just proves one thing, with scenario writing like this, videogames will never grow up beyond silly tripe. There could really be a chance to move beyond and turn Valkyria into a full fledged breathing world with a deep history and cosmology.

Oh wait, that is what Valkyria Chronicles was like because the glossary and the history explored the game world in so much detail. It is just a tad depressing that they don't expand it further and explore how and why the history of the world developed the way it did. Reading a few lines is a glossary is great, but to experience it in a game with characters you can relate with and connect to creates an entirely new experience that is far better.

Of course, I could be surprised. I thought BlazBlue looked like a generic fighting game with a bad fighting game storyline. I was shocked to find out that it had an insanely deep storyline that is probably the best the fighting game genre has ever seen.

Darkpen

Banned
Enron said:
I was hoping they'd take us way further down the timeline and play as Isara, and touch on real-world war themes and issues like Japan's involvement in the middleeast, mixed with America during the Vietnam War, a new, jungle environment, technological advancements, and advancements in gameplay.

Instead, it feels like 2 steps foward, one step back with the way that the translation seems to describe the new game :(

Enron

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
It just proves one thing, with scenario writing like this, videogames will never grow up beyond silly tripe. There could really be a chance to move beyond and turn Valkyria into a full fledged breathing world with a deep history and cosmology.

Oh wait, that is what Valkyria Chronicles was like because the glossary and the history explored the game world in so much detail. It is just a tad depressing that they don't expand it further and explore how and why the history of the world developed the way it did. Reading a few lines is a glossary is great, but to experience it in a game with characters you can relate with and connect to creates an entirely new experience that is far better.

Well, I don't think of videogames as high art or anything, I just want a premise that doesn't insult my intelligence, kick it in the balls, poke its eyes out, and then rape it with a stick. Which this does.

Darkpen

Banned
I don't know whether to be assured or not, but it looks like the new producer at least has some cred with working on Skies of Arcadia, though Moby Games only credits him to that and some Bleach game, so :S

I just read the news and saw the scans, and while I am a little disappointed VC 2 will be on PSP, I am very happy that a sequel is even being made. The art is ok, I do not mind it, although the Valkyria is a bit much. I hope a lot of the old cast is still around.

Enron

Banned
Darkpen said:
I don't know whether to be assured or not, but it looks like the new producer at least has some cred with working on Skies of Arcadia, though Moby Games only credits him to that and some Bleach game, so :S

Oh boy, the news just keeps getting better.

I can honestly say that I'm just going to skip this game now and pretend it doesn't exist.

This must be what it's like to be Brandiul :x

Hcoregamer00

Enron said:
Well, I don't think of videogames as high art or anything, I just want a premise that doesn't insult my intelligence, kick it in the balls, poke its eyes out, and then rape it with a stick. Which this does.

I am sorry, that describes 97% of all videogames.

Classic_Gs said:
I just read the news and saw the scans, and while I am a little disappointed VC 2 will be on PSP, I am very happy that a sequel is even being made. The art is ok, I do not mind it, although the Valkyria is a bit much. I hope a lot of the old cast is still around.

They will probably make cameos since the game takes place shortly after the original game.

Hcoregamer00

Enron said:
Yeah, but it sucks hard when it's a sequel to a game that doesn't.

Well, the premise may sound bad, but it could be a great storyline.

There have been many great story lines that come from a really shitty premise.

BlueWord

Hcoregamer00 said:
I am sorry, that describes 97% of all videogames.

As much as I hate to say it, JRPGs are probably the most guilty of this. Even though I still play the heck out of them...

Valkyria was a good break from that; even if it was slightly predictable, and in line with basic anime archetypes, there was enough to the wider world that it sort of overshadowed that stuff.

This university thing, though... :(

Hcoregamer00

Paracelsus said:
So basically they manager to "MonsterHunter" an action-SRPG?

Fuck this shit.

That sounds pretty awesome in concept, whether they do a good job is another story.

Geez, so much negativity in this thread.

Hcoregamer00

epmode said:
I have a PSP and this news makes me want to die. Sigh.

Now that is too much hyperbole.

The concept of portable Valkyria is amazing, the first storyline details are underwhelming, and the character design is two steps below Valkyria Chronicles's Generic Anime design. With that said, I think the portable Valkyria premise is far more promising than anything.

After all, let's be honest here, Valkyria is not exactly the greatest when it comes to storytelling. It was one of the weakest aspects of the game. As long as it has the same excellent composer and the same amazing gameplay, it should be more than enough.

I just find it funny that I am telling you guys that are you too negative.

zoku88

Paracelsus said:
So basically they manager to "MonsterHunter" an action-SRPG?

Fuck this shit.
I don't see how you got that from what you quoted.

Ad-hoc, I bet, is probably for competitive multiplayer, which I don't think is odd for an SRPG on a portable (Advance Wars has this, I believe.)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
While I enjoyed the gameplay in Valkyria Chronicles, I ended up quitting because of the mission structure pissing me off. Hopefully it will not be the same for the sequel.

PSP is a bummer. I don't know how the first one sold, but considering the budget difference, is that likely the reason for a PSP sequel?

Paracelsus

ICallItFutile said:
I don't know how the first one sold

It should be around 300k (maybe less, maybe just a little more) worldwide.

I don't see how you got that from what you quoted.

Adhoc + quest based.

My doubt can be proven wrong if/when they announce the adhoc mode being a VS mode, because if it has coop mode, it's indeed another Monster Hunter clone.

Luckily you can't quite farm into a SRPG.

Oh man, you haters get out of this thread. I just want the release date for this bad boy...hopefully this is at TGS, too...and playable.

Does anyone have the ISBN on this art book? Been waiting for this thing forever.

I dont know how to feel about this.... one fight in Valkyria Chronicles did go on for about two hours, I hope they dont cut some gameplay cant see how they can make it faster.

Ill feel better if it was a spin off from Valkyria Chronicles and not Valkyria Chronicles 2

Hcoregamer00

jump_button said:
Ill feel better if it was a spin off from Valkyria Chronicles and not Valkyria Chronicles 2

Why? The PSP is more than enough console to offer a full, rich, gaming experience.

I would have preferred a different focus in storyline, but let's not kid ourselves, THIS IS VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 2!! No amount of bitching and moaning could take away from the fact that this is the sequel to the PS3 game.

BlueWord

jump_button said:

This is basically how I feel. I'm hyped, sure, but I really hope that this next game isn't a representation of where the series is headed; namely, animu character designs and cat-girls.

Hcoregamer00

BlueWord said:
This is basically how I feel. I'm hyped, sure, but I really hope that this next game isn't a representation of where the series is headed; namely, animu character designs and cat-girls.

The anime was a representation of where the franchise was headed.

If you saw the anime, you saw the game a mile away.

Top Bottom