• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Darkpen

Banned
lol, hcoregamer, trying to keep the boat afloat D:

I will admit that the story might go into some interesting places, but fuck me if it ends up being really just....

ugh

Isn't it a bad thing that I can just use my imagination for the English voice actors sounding like generic/bad anime dubs, based on the character design alone? I sure hope the main character gets traumatized or something.

Its like Johnny Young Bosch, but worse than his usual fair.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Darkpen said:
lol, hcoregamer, trying to keep the boat afloat D:

I will admit that the story might go into some interesting places, but fuck me if it ends up being really just....

ugh

Isn't it a bad thing that I can just use my imagination for the English voice actors sounding like generic/bad anime dubs, based on the character design alone? I sure hope the main character gets traumatized or something.

Its like Johnny Young Bosch, but worse than his usual fair.

Yeah, I am trying to keep it afloat because these exaggerated statements are bringing the boat down.

The boat already has so much potential that is already being dismissed because of some snippets here and there that may not be to our liking. You read my thoughts, I feel the same way that many of you feel.

The difference is that there is so many possibilities of a new Valkyria Chronicles on a portable console that I am looking forward to the potential of having a great experience. Just because I have a history of being negative on the Valkyria franchise (especially when it comes to sales) doesn't mean that I don't look at the positives.

As far as I can tell, VC2 has unlimited possibilities, even if it was gimped by shitty character designs and a bad story concept.

I'm just greatly amused that the Sony E3 2008 PSP highlight reel actually came true :lol

And yeah, the PS3 version had beautiful graphics, but if the sales can't justify the effort it takes to create them, then going PSP makes sense.

Darkpen

Banned
As far as I could tell from the translation, its basically Crisis Core mission structure, with what I assume to be turn-based co-op play like FFT:WotL

Is there a video somewhere of the PSP reel? Was it just the PS3 VC footage put on their on-screen PSP screen, or did it actually look like a PSP-ified VC?

Hcoregamer00

Metal Gear?! said:
I'm just greatly amused that the Sony E3 2008 PSP highlight reel actually came true :lol

And yeah, the PS3 version had beautiful graphics, but if the sales can't justify the effort it takes to create them, then going PSP makes sense.

I pointed it out on the famitsu thread, but going PSP makes sense on multiple levels.

1. Lower development costs
2. 50+ million userbase
3. PSP is in the middle of a renaissance which will turn the gaming industry upside down
4. Better focus on stopping piracy.
5. Already is starting to be considered a franchise, since it has a moderately successful game and a very successful anime.
6. Potential to port it to the Wii and the PS2 in the future.

Shadow780

Darkpen said:
Is there a video somewhere of the PSP reel? Was it just the PS3 VC footage put on their on-screen PSP screen, or did it actually look like a PSP-ified VC?

I'm pretty sure it was just PS3 screenshots chopped to fit on the PSP screen.

Hcoregamer00

Shadow780 said:
Huh? Being on the PSP means more piracy.

and the anime sucks.

Sony has been doing a good job lately of focusing efforts to stop it.

The most important one is going to a download-only model with heavy DRM.

Just because you hate the anime doesn't mean that it is not a net positive for the franchise since it exposed more people to the franchise.

Shadow780

Hcoregamer00 said:
Sony has been doing a good job lately of focusing efforts to stop it.

The most important one is going to a download-only model with heavy DRM.

Just because you hate the anime doesn't mean that it is not a net positive for the franchise since it exposed more people to the franchise.

I don't think it's going to be a downloadable game only, which means ppl can still pirate it on their earlier PSPs.

I hope the ones that were attracted by the anime will check out the VC, it's so much better.

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:

Just because you like the anime doesn't mean that it's successful or popular. :p

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
Just because you like the anime doesn't mean that it's successful or popular. :p

I don't like the Anime, I made in clear in the Famitsu thread:

Hcoregamer00 said:
The anime has high production values, but it strays way too far from the game. They take out some of the biggest moments of the game and focuses on the sillier parts. They throw away deep characterization, instead they focus on giving the main cast the typical anime cliches (Alicia = Tsundere, Welkin = Idiot, Selvaria = Well-Endowed lady with attitude and Faldio = Man Slut).

At least the voice actors are identical from the game.

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
I don't like the Anime, I made in clear in the Famitsu thread:

Well, I'm just saying, there's no real indication that the anime is particularly "successful" right now. It's not even out on home video yet, so we have no idea how well it'll sell or anything. Sega's previous anime/game tie-in World Destruction was a total failure so.... I dunno.

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
Well, I'm just saying, there's no real indication that the anime is particularly "successful" right now. It's not even out on home video yet, so we have no idea how well it'll sell or anything. Sega's previous anime/game tie-in World Destruction was a total failure so.... I dunno.

The anime pushed around 50,000 copies of the game, and gave the franchise the exposure it needed. That to me already made the anime successful, since it did exactly what it was meant to do, give more exposure to the franchise. Even if the DVD and Blu Ray sales are not amazing, at least the franchise has some recognition and gained extra fans that would be more likely to adopt new games in the franchise.

That in itself made the anime successful, even if it is a confused mess that ruins the canon storyline.

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
The anime pushed around 50,000 copies of the game, and gave the franchise the exposure it needed. That to me already made the anime successful, since it did exactly what it was meant to do, give more exposure to the franchise. Even if the DVD and Blu Ray sales are not amazing, at least the franchise has some recognition and gained extra fans that would be more likely to adopt new games in the franchise.

That in itself made the anime successful, even if it is a confused mess that ruins the canon storyline.

What exactly are you basing on to say that the anime itself was responsible for pushing 50k copies of the game? I assume you're referring to the budget re-release, in which case there are many reasons why it would have sold well, regardless of an anime. This is one of the few new IPs with really good word of mouth. Just take a look at Yakuza, that had INSANE sales for all the budget re-releases too, and it doesn't have any anime or anything.

not a fan of VC2 being in a military academy :( VC was so good at make you feel you was in a war trying to take back what your home town with feeling every lost in your team

military academy make me think of taking classes not fighting a war hope im wrong

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
What exactly are you basing on to say that the anime itself was responsible for pushing 50k copies of the game? I assume you're referring to the budget re-release, in which case there are many reasons why it would have sold well, regardless of an anime. This is one of the few new IPs with really good word of mouth. Just take a look at Yakuza, that had INSANE sales for all the budget re-releases too, and it doesn't have any anime or anything.

My main point is that it increased exposure to the franchise. The anime was essentially a marketing tool. You could argue that word-of-mouth was another branch of marketing which was a success. I don't work in SEGA, so I don't presume to know what the expectations were, but a combination of marketing factors led to decent sales for the re-release of which word-of-mouth and the anime did play a part.

While it is hard to gauge how much the anime did play, it is already successful because it helped create a positive brand image, not a negative one.

Paracelsus

Valkyria Chronicles is being treated by Sega as it is some kind of "Sakura Taisen Redux", only that this is nowhere nearly as marketable, and for obvious reasons.

BushinKun

Banned
Did they seriously mix up 'Profile' and 'Chronicles' at a presser and cut the video wrong? Maybe Sega will consider a PSP version anyway after the firestorm. Yeah right, they don't like making money. :(

El-Suave

I don't mind the game being on PSP, although I would prefer it on PS3 obviously.
The new character design is a bit more irritating though, but it would never stop me from picking up the game.

It's sad that they don't seem to understand that one of the strenghts of the original character design they used in VC1 is that it appeals to anime fans but also to people who usually aren't into that stuff. But then again this change in art direction could just be the typical "handheld game reflex" where they automatically feel they need to appeal to a younger audience.

Darkpen

Banned
El-Suave said:
I don't mind the game being on PSP, although I would prefer it on PS3 obviously.
The new character design is a bit more irritating though, but it would never stop me from picking up the game.

It's sad that they don't seem to understand that one of the strenghts of the original character design they used in VC1 is that it appeals to anime fans but also to people who usually aren't into that stuff. But then again this change in art direction could just be the typical "handheld game reflex" where they automatically feel they need to appeal to a younger audience.
That's exactly what it feels like. The art style is distinctly that b-grade saturday morning shounen action anime look that caters to the 13-16 year old male demographic. Its caught somewhere between Code Geass and a Macross rip off, but with neutered violence.

Well, I'm not really happy with VC2 being on PSP, but I'll take what I can get.
And I'm not really a hater on the new scenario or characters. I thought the story/characters in the PS3 version were pretty bad to begin with and that didn't distracted me too much from the great game experience and the otherwise awesome look of the game.

Hylian7

Sony can reach on into my wallet to take $250 plus the cost of Valkyria Chronicles 2, because that just made me want to buy a PSPGo at launch. I really loved the first game and I think that putting the franchise on PSP is a very good idea. I cannot wait to see how it turns out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm just glad that they see the franchise as valuable enough to make another game.

Although, I hope there will be a Canvas engine spin-off sometime. No reason to chuck the engine just because the game didn't do so hot.

Koren

I always welcome more VC, and it will be nice to play it on the go, but I'm a bit worried by the replacement of dual analog by the PSP nub...

Please-be-a-disc-release-please...

This whole scenario reminds me (for better or worse) of what happened to the Final Fantasy Tactics franchise. It went from FFT on the PSOne to FFT:A on the GBA. They kept a lot of the gameplay but then made it much more lighthearted and "for the younger crowd" in setting, characters, etc.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I pointed it out on the famitsu thread, but going PSP makes sense on multiple levels.

3. PSP is in the middle of a renaissance which will turn the gaming industry upside down
4. Better focus on stopping piracy.
3. :lol
4. What? If they want to be unpiratable they would stay on the PS3.

RpgN

duckroll said:

When the best release came it charted on its debut then fell of the charts for weeks, until the anime got aired. It pretty much stayed every week and sold about 4k average. I'd say the anime is responsible for the push.

I'm glad for a sequel and see lots of great possibilities for it being portable. I'm not down on the artwork either but I'm not turned off.

A ps3 prequel is still wanted though!

gketter said:
This whole scenario reminds me (for better or worse) of what happened to the Final Fantasy Tactics franchise. It went from FFT on the PSOne to FFT:A on the GBA. They kept a lot of the gameplay but then made it much more lighthearted and "for the younger crowd" in setting, characters, etc.

its the same with suikoden, and now suikoden tierkreis on DS. not a good sign for the future of the suikoden series. i dont think VC will have the same fate though, because its on PSP.

big difference.

mclem

Hcoregamer00 said:
This....is.....sega....

The same company that gives us shit sonic after shit sonic.

Milking Valkyria Chronicles and having "tales syndrome" would actually be a better scenario to what they could be doing. You know something is wrong when "tales syndrome" is one of the better things the company is capable of doing when it comes to milking and killing a franchise.

So basically, "Tales Syndrome" vs "Tails Syndrome"?

comedian

I really do hope they take advantage of the online functionality of the psp. Maybe skirmishes against other people, that would be really cool :>

MoogPaul

The only thing that bums me is the probable lack of full voice over. They did such a good job on the first one. I'll take any more VC that I can get my hands on though even if it's based around balancing training for the army and their jobs at mcdonalds.

CiSTM

Banned
I hope maps won't go through too big downsizings because of the new platform... Well I guess it will be inevitable but still glad to see more VC.

More VC is always great as it's one my fav games ever, but I kinda hoped I'd get a sequel on my PS3. I can't wait for VC2 but at the same time I'm a bit disappointed it's for the PSP. Argh!

Oh hells yeah! Can't wait for this! Should be fantastic.

It was an obvious choice really when in Japan PSP is the platform of choice next to DS, and Sega experienced great Phantasy Star Portable sales on it.

Looks pretty fresh and preppy, yet still third person 3d! Trailer at TGS I hope!

Hellion

Wow, I'm really dissapointed in them taking the franchise to psp...I'd rather them port to 360 than to lose the canvas ingine. I won't support this or the crappy anime.

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
Now that is too much hyperbole.

The concept of portable Valkyria is amazing, the first storyline details are underwhelming, and the character design is two steps below Valkyria Chronicles's Generic Anime design. With that said, I think the portable Valkyria premise is far more promising than anything.

After all, let's be honest here, Valkyria is not exactly the greatest when it comes to storytelling. It was one of the weakest aspects of the game. As long as it has the same excellent composer and the same amazing gameplay, it should be more than enough.

I just find it funny that I am telling you guys that are you too negative.

You keep saying this, but VC1's "generic anime designs" are groundbreaking innovation compared to what showed up on the scans. The scans look like they could've been lifted from a low-budget harem anime based off an ero game.

dumbass_

Banned
Hellion said:
Wow, I'm really dissapointed in them taking the franchise to psp...I'd rather them port to 360 than to lose the canvas ingine. I won't support this or the crappy anime.

Wait for more info before judging the game? we only saw one scan that's basically show us nothing outside 2-3 characters ?

have faith people !

The Valkyria art looks like something that came out from Disgaea though :/ i'm still optimistic :D

The only thing that worries me is that if the game sold better than valkyria chronicles why would they ever create new game for the PS3?.
Specially when it costs less to develop the game on psp

Enron

Banned
So, the Valkyria Chronicles franchise has essentially been FFTA'd.

Hopefully there will be a mission where you throw snowballs at the other children.

Quixzlizx said:
You keep saying this, but VC1's "generic anime designs" are groundbreaking innovation compared to what showed up on the scans. The scans look like they could've been lifted from a low-budget harem anime based off an ero game.

Hell, it SOUNDS like it was based off an erogame. icecream to make the official VC2 thread confirmed

AKS

I don't have a PSP, but if the PSP game is good, I think that increases the chances that I'll eventually see another PS3 game.

Top Bottom