• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

RpgN

Enron said:
So, the Valkyria Chronicles franchise has essentially been FFTA'd.

Hopefully there will be a mission where you throw snowballs at the other children.

Hell, it SOUNDS like it was based off an erogame. icecream to make the official VC2 thread confirmed

We know almost nothing about how the game will be told and how lighthearted it will be besides looking at those characters and academy setting.

I just wonder if it will truly be a sequel or that number was simply slapped to make it look more important.

Maybe it's better to just wait and see after some more info pops in.

matmanx1

Slightly dissapointing but I understand why the decision was made. This is a much lower risk, development wise and I'm sure Sega was concerned about how much effort and time it took to finally sale through all the copies of VC1.

If the game is as good as the first one I'll happily play it on the PSP but I will definitely miss the high def graphics!

zoku88

Angeles said:
How does that work with srpgs?

and i'll get Valkyria 2 day 1!
Well, it turned based ones, one player takes his turn and then the other player takes his turn?

It's not like its co-op usually.

Which I'll be surprised if this is co-op, unless, for some reason, it's not an SRPG.

I hope they fix the brokenness in this game. Scouts were so overpowered since the game was CTF in most missions. It really favored rushes in a lot of missions. And the game wasn't very hard in the first place.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
DangerousDave said:
Oh, Persona 4 elements in VC! SOLD!

:D

Don't give them ideas :lol

AKS said:
I don't have a PSP, but if the PSP game is good, I think that increases the chances that I'll eventually see another PS3 game.

If anything I think it will be the opposite.

If Valkyria is successful on portables, that means that it will never go back to consoles again. Kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics.

In the interview, Sega want to show that they are serious about the game with the number 2 attached to the title and apparently there will be more for PSP from the series in future.

On PSP hyper.

dumbass_

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
If Valkyria is successful on portables, that means that it will never go back to consoles again. Kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics.

In the interview, Sega want to show that they are serious about the game with the number 2 attached to the title and apparently there will be more for PSP from the series in future.

oh well.... it was nice knowing you on consoles valkyria chronicles

Koren

Shadow780 said:
How about military dating sim.
With some developpers linked to the Sakura Taisen series ? Nooo... doesn't make sense at all :)

(could be great, they know how to do it right)

tenton

MoogPaul said:
The only thing that bums me is the probable lack of full voice over. They did such a good job on the first one. I'll take any more VC that I can get my hands on though even if it's based around balancing training for the army and their jobs at mcdonalds.

One the one hand, I'm sad that this would probably be true. OTOH, we probably wouldn't get a dual language option anyways, once the game makes it to the US, so I feel a little better. Yes, I'm an original language snob. :D

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, I am trying to keep it afloat because these exaggerated statements are bringing the boat down.

lol, Hcoregamer. This is GAF. :)

I agree with you. People ARE jumping to conclusions and shitting on it a bit too soon right now.

No matter what the story scenario, what system it's on, what the art direction is, there is ALWAYS potential that it will kick ass. Of course there is just as much potential that it will fail catastrophically too. So why dismiss it so early? That's like giving up and admitting defeat.

Quixzlizx said:
We should enjoy the HD JRPGS that are already confirmed for release, since it seems they will be extinct soon.

I don't mind. Playing hand-held RPGs are fun too. I sometimes find it more fun than HD JRPGs.

Hcoregamer00

Enron said:
Wow, the news gets worse and worse. Hooray for tiny screens!

That part is the good news:

-Since they intend to push the franchise past number 2
-They made it clear their intentions about the future of the franchise

Quixzlizx

radiantdreamer said:
I don't mind. Playing hand-held RPGs are fun too. I sometimes find it more fun than HD JRPGs.

Hand-held RPGs don't have any advantage for me since I usually play them all at home. I own handhelds more for their exclusive game libraries than their portability, and I'd almost always prefer a console version of a game over a handheld one, all else being equal.

Hobbun

Quixzlizx said:
Hand-held RPGs don't have any advantage for me since I usually play them all at home. I own handhelds more for their exclusive game libraries than their portability, and I'd almost always prefer a console version of a game over a handheld one, all else being equal.

This is exactly my situation and how I feel as well.

People should just be happy we are getting more. The game likely didn't do well enough to keep itself going on current gen systems. Going to the Wii probably only other option to keep costs down but I'm sure that wouldn't have gone over well with many people either. With portables they at least know they have a good chance of making the franchise make money and potentially grow even more.

dumbass_

Banned
The translation was wrong guys

He answered “No” when asked if the series will be developed centered on PSP

Here is another interview from 1up

Producer Shuntaro Tanaka commented to Famitsu that the move to PSP was "to allow a broader spectrum of users to discover and enjoy what makes Valkyria special," but noted that the Valkyria series is not necessarily bound to handheld systems in the future.

It seems that they already have plans to release more valkyria chronicles in the future

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
if you guys truly love SEGA and this game ( not just the system the game is on now ) , you should know it's good decision , PS3 is dead as a JRPG/SRPG/ARPG system in Japan ( just see VC , Folklore , D3 , Atelier Rorona , Cross Edge poor sales on the thing ).

Valkyria Chronicles had potentials to be a franchise like Valkyrie profile and other similar games but it's can't do this if it's stay on PS3 , yet it can be bigger on PSP ( and hopefully DS and Wii next )

zoku88

Totobeni said:
if you guys truly love SEGA and this game ( not just the system the game is on now ) , you should know it's good decision , PS3 is dead as a JRPG/SRPG/ARPG system in Japan ( just see VC , Folklore , D3 , Atelier Rorona , Cross Edge poor sales on the thing ).
I don't know the sales of the other games, but Atelier Rorona did NOT do badly. Where did that come from?

EDIT: And I think VC ended up doing decently...

dumbass_

Banned
Totobeni said:

Valkyria Chronicles had potentials to be a franchise like Valkyrie profile and other similar games but it's can't do this if it's stay on PS3 , yet it can be bigger on PSP ( and hopefully DS and Wii next )

Wii? maybe
DS? dont think so it cant handle valkyria chronicles complicated 3D gameplay

Quixzlizx

Totobeni said:

Because 3rd party RPGs are doing so great on the Wii.

And GTFO with that DS nonsense. At least the PSP can actually push non-horrific 3D graphics (yes there are a couple of exceptions, but the DS is a fugathon for the most part).

Totobeni said:
if you guys truly love SEGA and this game ( not just the system the game is on now ) , you should know it's good decision , PS3 is dead as a JRPG/SRPG/ARPG system in Japan ( just see VC , Folklore , D3 , Atelier Rorona , Cross Edge poor sales on the thing).

And none of those games would have sold any better on other consoles either. The sales so far have been in line with other similar genre games or past iterations of the titles.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
zoku88 said:
I don't know the sales of the other games, but Atelier Rorona did NOT do badly. Where did that come from?

EDIT: And I think VC ended up doing decently...
Neither did Disgaea 3, in fact it sold much better than the recent handheld entries.

And White Knight Chronicles sold over 300k, which is more than 95% of DS RPGs, and ALL PSP RPGs excluding Final Fantasy.

VC LTD stands at around 150k and is still crawling up(near 200k last I checked). That's really not bad for the first entry in a new SRPG series.

Enron

Banned
Angeles said:

Producer Shuntaro Tanaka commented to Famitsu that the move to PSP was "to allow a broader spectrum of users to discover and enjoy what makes Valkyria special," but noted that the Valkyria series is not necessarily bound to handheld systems in the future.

It seems that they already have plans to release more valkyria chronicles in the future

BACKING AWAY FROM LEDGE (BUT ONLY SLIGHTLY)

dumbass_

Banned
Sage00 said:
Neither did Disgaea 3, in fact it sold much better than the recent handheld entries.

And White Knight Chronicles sold over 300k, which is more than 95% of DS RPGs, and ALL PSP RPGs excluding Final Fantasy.

VC LTD stands at around 150k and is still crawling up(near 200k last I checked). That's really not bad for the first entry in a new SRPG series.

Valkyria Chronicles already passed 200k sold in japan alone a while ago (With budget version release)

Sage00 said:

With the Best version over 50k, the total LTD for VC in Japan is now over 200k.

Hcoregamer00

Angeles said:

Good news, of course people should still tone down the hyperbole.

I am getting sickened by all your negativity.

We should be happy that Valkyria is getting more games, and that SEGA is trying to turn it into a major franchise.

Hopefully in the future we get a 360/PS3 iteration, since having it on one console will be a shame.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Hcoregamer00 said:
It just proves one thing, with scenario writing like this, videogames will never grow up beyond silly tripe. There could really be a chance to move beyond and turn Valkyria into a full fledged breathing world with a deep history and cosmology.

Oh wait, that is what Valkyria Chronicles was like because the glossary and the history explored the game world in so much detail. It is just a tad depressing that they don't expand it further and explore how and why the history of the world developed the way it did. Reading a few lines is a glossary is great, but to experience it in a game with characters you can relate with and connect to creates an entirely new experience that is far better.

Of course, I could be surprised. I thought BlazBlue looked like a generic fighting game with a bad fighting game storyline. I was shocked to find out that it had an insanely deep storyline that is probably the best the fighting game genre has ever seen.

Like VC the scenario for VC2 is loosely based off of real history especially if the rebels are fighting for the Darcens.

I like the idea of this scenario (as long as it is more like a Military Academy than a high school). I hope the future games in the series to show how the VC world procedes from this point on rather than concentrated on it's history. Just leaving it with a "they all lived happily ever after" situation would be highly unsatisfying and unrealistic. The aftermath major war is a hugely significant time period where alot of important events take place, just look at how the real world developed following the first world war.

Hcoregamer00

Saiyar said:
Like VC the scenario for VC2 is loosely based off of real history especially if the rebels are fighting for the Darcens.

I like the idea of this scenario (as long as it is more like a Military Academy than a high school). I hope the future games in the series to show how the VC world procedes from this point on rather than concentrated on it's history. Just leaving it with a "they all lived happily ever after" situation would be highly unsatisfying and unrealistic. The aftermath major war is a hugely significant time period where alot of important events take place, just look at how the real world developed following the first world war.

I disagree, Valkyria has such a rich history that leaving to a glossary would do it injustice.

matmanx1 said:
Slightly dissapointing but I understand why the decision was made. This is a much lower risk, development wise and I'm sure Sega was concerned about how much effort and time it took to finally sale through all the copies of VC1.

If the game is as good as the first one I'll happily play it on the PSP but I will definitely miss the high def graphics!
Same here, I will definitely miss the HD visuals and the better sound quality, as I really loved the art in HD. However, I am still very excited for a NEW VC game.

I can see why some people are freaking out over this announcement, for me the best part of the original VC was the production values, both graphically and audibly. The anime style narrative, full of stereotype characters, charming, goofy sidekicks and bad ass fights. Its been said before but seeing as how strong the PSP looks to be in the future, I have every confidence this will be a AAA PSP title. I just hope the plot and narrative doesn't suffer with the "downgrade" in hardware.

I like that this PSP version don't touch anything about the story of VC, being after the story of the PS3 one. I still wait for a "previous war" prequel, explaining the story of the fathers of the main characters. And an "old era" prequel, in a mix of medieval and steampunk VC, explaining the "first war", should be incredible, in PS3.

But I don't like too much that this PSP version is named Valkyria Chronicle 2. I prefer to keep the main series in the PS3, and using the PSP for spin-off and anime related stories.

Hcoregamer00

DangerousDave said:
But I don't like too much that this PSP version is named Valkyria Chronicle 2. I prefer to keep the main series in the PS3, and using the PSP for spin-off and anime related stories.

Ugh, why make the distinction?

It is for all intents and purposes VC2, so why take the name away?

Hcoregamer00 said:
Ugh, why make the distinction?

It is for all intents and purposes VC2, so why take the name away?

No problem with the name, the problem is with the number. I prefer something like Killzone Liberation or Resistance Retribution, or God of War Chains of Olympus (games placed in the same timeline as the main saga iterations), for example.

It's the difference between having clear that the PSP game is a spin-off, but you'll continue the saga in the PS3, or give the impression that you're gonna focus the main saga in PSP, discontinuing it in PS3.

It's not the same naming the PSP game as God of War 3 or God of War Chains of Olympus.

zoku88

DangerousDave said:
It's the difference between having clear that the PSP game is a spin-off, but you'll continue the saga in the PS3, or give the impression that you're gonna focus the main saga in PSP, discontinuing it in PS3.
That's such a false dichotomy. It's not either one or the other.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Except that COO is a prequel and VC2 isnt...

Yep. But, well, MGS3 is a prequel, also :p

But all we got the impression that the series moved to PSP instead of continuing in PS3, even unconsciously, because of the 2.

For example, there will be a new Resident Evil, unnamed, in PSP. If the game gets named Resident Evil Extinction, the people will be fine. But if that game get's named Resident Evil 6, a lot of HD console owners will commit seppuku :p

buffi

Banned
In that case, console gamers are fucking stupid.

I'd prefer VC on PS3 but I'd take it on PSP over nothing. Didn't expect any sequel since the sales were so shitty for the first game.

If Valkyria Chronicles sold as much as Resistance or God of War then this would be a spinoff. But since the sales numbers for this game are likely to be better for the PSP than the PS3 it makes more since to make it a sequel since the series may stay on the portable for the rest of this generation.

Quixzlizx

buffi said:
In that case, console gamers are fucking stupid.

I'd prefer VC on PS3 but I'd take it on PSP over nothing. Didn't expect any sequel since the sales were so shitty for the first game.

No, they weren't.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Hcoregamer00 said:
I disagree, Valkyria has such a rich history that leaving to a glossary would do it injustice.

It would be a greater injustice to completely ignore it's future. I wouldn't mind the odd game set in the VC world's past, I just think that there is far more potentail for it's future.

Looking at the Empire I would rather see a game set in the aftermath of the second war where a member state (E.G Jaeger's country) was fighting for it's independance with the story of how it was conquered being told during the game, than have a game that dealt with it's defeat. The history could be told by either glossary or flashback missions. A good idea would be to have flashback missions where the outcome (victory, defeat etc) had an effect on the present situation.

I also think it does far more for the VC world to leave the Valkyur war as a vague legend than have us know exactly what happened.

Enron

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Good news, of course people should still tone down the hyperbole.

I am getting sickened by all your negativity.

We should be happy that Valkyria is getting more games, and that SEGA is trying to turn it into a major franchise.

Hopefully in the future we get a 360/PS3 iteration, since having it on one console will be a shame.

I am sickened by YOU! Rawr!

I thought that a handheld would make a good landing place for an srpg in the vc universe, but not for its full-fledged sequel ;_;

Come on VC3, go to ps3/360 plz

DangerousDave said:
Yep. But, well, MGS3 is a prequel, also :p

But all we got the impression that the series moved to PSP instead of continuing in PS3, even unconsciously, because of the 2.

For example, there will be a new Resident Evil, unnamed, in PSP. If the game gets named Resident Evil Extinction, the people will be fine. But if that game get's named Resident Evil 6, a lot of HD console owners will commit seppuku :p

Well then there was MGS:pO, which was also a prequel. And in specific reference to your point, VC isn't nearly as well established as a series like RE, the next entry might have just as well been named VC: Gallian Officers. It should be interesting to see what the PSP AC game will be called, I thought it was Bloodlines or something like that...

Top Bottom