• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

dumbass_

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
5331_561556843572_15110552_32986170_1811073_n.jpg

Is that Ryu in the backgrounds? :lol

Found this picture online it's from comic con

3265519320_af42e5728e.jpg

And here is an Awesome cosplay video for valkyria Chronicles "pretty much all cast is in it even the enemies"
Cosplay Video

dragonknight337

Neo Member
At first I was like:

ValkyriaChroniclesJ.jpg

Then when I saw the actual art which had ANIMAL EARS on a Valkyria and generic DS anime shovelware art direction, I was like this:

bluedragon.jpg

Lain

Ok, saw the scan. I don't see anything wrong with the art either.
Actually, to be specific, I like it. Maybe it is a bit more... "generic" than the first, but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.

Lain said:
Ok, saw the scan. I don't see anything wrong with the art either.
Actually, to be specific, I like it. Maybe it is a bit more... "generic" than the first, but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.
i figured the art would go in that direction after the anime

i don't mind at all, more Valkyria is nothing to complain about

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Darnit Segac! I don't got a PSP! Why couldn't you give me another reason to turn my PS3 on!? They better release Yakuza 3 in the US to make up for this atrocity >_<!

gokieks

I have my doubts that they would be able to bring the incredibly unique and charming look of VC onto the PSP, but from what I could see in the scan, it still looks pretty good.

The screenshot in the "source" image for the sequel stuff looks too good for PSP, unless go is that much better than the 3000 in terms of power. But oh well, it says PSP...guess I'm getting a go. Why do the characters look like they just graduated from Ouran Host Club!?!? Whatever, best announcement of the year. My week is redeemed.

Darkpen

Banned
What the fuck have they done with the art style? This is so fucking shit. Worse yet, the gameplay will probably just slightly iterative, like how MGS:pO was, rather than doing something unique and pushing the hardware in gameplay.

What's with these costumes? 1937 my ass, it looks more like they jumped into a time machine and landed themselves in some generic space opera anime.

Fuck the new color pallet and the costumes. It looks like some dorky mercenary acadamy highschool drama.

May16

Would rather have the sequel on PS3 again, but this is still grat news, because it means at least the franchise isn't going to just be a one-shot thing, like I feared.

No Raita? Is Sega scared of admitting their character designer makes doujinshi?

Only thing that makes me wary of VC2 for PSP is the design of the guy on the right of the scan. He looks so... Davis from Digimon 02. The damn shit-eating grin and his opened button-down shirt and the red spiky hair. I hate it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lindsay said:
Darnit Segac! I don't got a PSP! Why couldn't you give me another reason to turn my PS3 on!? They better release Yakuza 3 in the US to make up for this atrocity >_<!

I feel the opposite. I don't have a PS3 (I had to borrow one to play the original), so I'm very excited about this coming to PSP. Plus, it might boost up the popularity of the series, what with the larger install base.

Darkpen

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
No Raita? Is Sega scared of admitting their character designer makes doujinshi?

Only thing that makes me wary of VC2 for PSP is the design of the guy on the right of the scan. He looks so... Davis from Digimon 02. The damn shit-eating grin and his opened button-down shirt and the red spiky hair. I hate it.
aaaaauuuuuuughhhh

...so who's Raita, he have a home page?

Quixzlizx

On the one hand, I'm excited about more VC.

On the other hand, I don't know how excited I should be about the change to portable and the borderline-dominatrix gear Valkyur with the goofy grin.

Darkpen said:
aaaaauuuuuuughhhh

...so who's Raita, he have a home page?
Raita is either the artist or the circle of artists. I remember looking at Valkyria the first time, and Selvaria in particular, and thinking the style was really familiar but ultimately wrote it off. The moment 2D art surfaced, I was like "Oh it's Raita!!" and totally shocked that they did the design for the game. Can't say if they got a homepage or not.

Still waiting for the artbook to come out in Japan.

Maybe Sega and Sony are going to pull a Gran Turismo and announce the real VC2 at TGS with PS3-->PSP synching...like Resistance and AC2 as well.

I like my PSP but the analog nub is a pain, as is holding it for long periods of time.

New Valkyria makes me overjoyed. PSP makes me totally bummed. :\

I'm sure it'll be awesome, but I'm gonna really miss the beautiful HDness. PSP can put out some mighty fucking fine visuals, but as good as what I'd want from another VC? I don't think so. :\

Darkpen

Banned
the game screen themselves look interesting, as they've retained that white canvas border from the first game (I'm almost tempted to say "main game" and write this PSP entry as a spinoff), so that's interesting to note.

The gameplay proper looks more or less the same, but its possible they might have incorporated some macromanagement outside of skirmishes. Hopefully it begins and ends with gear customization, and nothing like buying potions and rations :(

CrushDance said:
Maybe Sega and Sony are going to pull a Gran Turismo and announce the real VC2 at TGS with PS3-->PSP synching...like Resistance and AC2 as well.

I like my PSP but the analog nub is a pain, as is holding it for long periods of time.
THIS. That is my pipe dream, Valkyria 2 for PSP and PS3 and you can sync your progress in the campaign and play it in HD at home in the evening and bring it with you for your commute for play on the PSP.

Anybody think PSP moving into full support for digital helped spur this decision for anything Valkyria for PSP?

scy

Initial shock and all aside, I'd rather have a new entry in Valkyria than nothing so ... yeah. I'll bitch and moan later when more comes out until I buy a PSP so I can actually play this when it releases :lol

Darkpen

Banned
I hope that the least they do is provide some level of psp > ps3 interactivity like a new DLC character from the PSP game, except his stats and gear are independent from the rest of your normal classes, and he/she gets updated whenever you sync your PSP game up, whether its new camo, or gear, etc.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CrushDance said:

That would be amazing.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
On VC:

-Since someone mentioned the artbook, is there any word on the official Valkyria Chronicles artbook?

-Where can I buy it, Play-asia is not listing it. The worst case scenario is that I special order it from Kinokuniya, but I rather buy it from an online retailer.

On VC2:

-I just saw the scans, unlike some of you I am not appalled by it.

-Sure the "Valkyria" character looks like crap, especially when she is a follow up to the awesome General Selvaria.

-As long as it has VC gameplay, I will be very happy. It would also be nice to see some cameos from the original cast.

-The anime style is definitely because of the success of the anime. The sad part is that this artstyle will probably find more acceptance than the great artstyle of the original Valkyria Chronicles.

Hcoregamer00 said:
On VC:

-Since someone mentioned the artbook, is there any word on the official Valkyria Chronicles artbook?

-Where can I buy it, Play-asia is not listing it. The worst case scenario is that I special order it from Kinokuniya, but I rather buy it from an online retailer.
I checked Enterbrain's release schedule, it's still listed as sometime this month.

some quick translation from rykomatsu

Some of it's a bit hard to read so I'll try my best.

Takes place in 1937, 2 years after the events in Valkyria Chronicles 1. I believe it says an armed militia that goes by the name Gallian Reform Militia that is fighting for Darks equal rights or further discrimination (can't make out the kanji here) appears. The Gallian Military (not the people's militia) tries to quell the reform militia and fails, resulting into an escalation from an uprising towards a civil war. Can't make out the next part, but to try to turn the odds in their favor, it says something along the lines of the Gallian Government decides to throw the cadets at the Officer's academy into the front lines.

I'll update as better scans come along, but based off of context, I think the reform militia is anti-darks..however, i can't confirm.

edit @ 9:36pm
As the subtitle "Gallian Republic Officer's Academy" shows, this title's protagonists are officer candidates at a Gallian Republic's officer academy. The first news blowout will introduce you to the new characters around which the new story will unfold as well as the details of the new game system that has increased freedom and depth. Add to that, we also have an interview with the general producer, Tanaka Shuntaro (note, the producer for VC1 was Nonaka Ryutaro).

edit @ 9:42pm
You can select missions from the briefing room, find out details, then go into the mission. The game basically is a repetition of this, unlike VC1 where you only had one mission to choose from (except for the side-story missions which were optional).

Characters:
Evan Hardens
Zeri
Cosette Calhaus

That skimpily clad stupid looking Valkyria doesn't have a name given at this point in time.

edit @ 9:48pm
it appears that the system/price/release date info/etc says PSP adhoc mode compatible

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I checked Enterbrain's release schedule, it's still listed as sometime this month.

So that brings me to my follow up question, where can I buy it in the USA?

-Play-Asia is a no go so far

-Kinokuniya is great, but I rather buy online than to drive 40 miles away and special order it.

Top Bottom