• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Host Samurai said:
Can they AT LEAST make VC2 a PSN release so I can play it on my big TV? I would seriously buy all those PSP games if they were PS3 compatable. Why have those games in the store if I cant even play them on the console I bought it on?

Sorry but I REALLY HATE portable gaming. I have a PSP and DS and only used it a handful of times. The most portable gaming ill do is a game of Brick Breaker on my Blackberry.

You know what I hate more, people that bitch about portable gaming since this generation of portable consoles have some of the best gaming lineups ever.

Clipjoint said:
Just finished the game about 20 mins ago (I've avoided this thread up until now). Absolutely incredible experience, top 10 of the generation. The gameplay is genre redefining, fuck the haters. I haven't had this much fun with a SRPG since Final Fantasy Tactics. The story was great, very endearing. Jann was a riot. Great job all around.

I agree with this statement. I haven't had this much fun with an SRPG since FFT as well.

Hcoregamer00 said:
You know what I hate more, people that bitch about portable gaming since this generation of portable consoles have some of the best gaming lineups ever.

I agree wit hthis statement. I have put more hours in my portable games than my consoles combined. There are just so many awesome games on portable systems.

Clipjoint said:
Just finished the game about 20 mins ago (I've avoided this thread up until now). Absolutely incredible experience, top 10 of the generation. The gameplay is genre redefining, fuck the haters. I haven't had this much fun with a SRPG since Final Fantasy Tactics. The story was great, very endearing. Jann was a riot. Great job all around.

OMG, I just wet my pants ;) FFT was my first JSRPG and is still No.1 for me.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
radiantdreamer said:
Emphasized for you all that thought it was Valua. It's not. It's Vasel.
that town with the retractable bridge
there's a valua town mentioned in the writing on the wall [flames of war], which is where ruby told us to look.

I was also under the impression Vasal was just the name of the bridge outside castle randgriz. :\

also f*** yea, my playtime has passed the 60 hour hump. onward to 100!

Pandaman said:
there's a valua town mentioned in the writing on the wall [flames of war], which is where ruby told us to look.

I was also under the impression Vasal was just the name of the bridge outside castle randgriz. :\

lol now I feel embarrassed!

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Valua was the answer I was after - Gryphter was the first to get it at the request it be passed on! (Hit me up with a PM and I'll send over the code.)

Clipjoint - totally agreed on Jann, I can't help but laugh every time he speaks. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Undeux

I'm kind of sad that I'm so close to finishing the game. I've been putting an hour or two into it over the last several months, and almost every level has been great.

I think I'm in the second to last level (
the one where you're facing off against the huge tank that repairs itself, Lupus something
) and I just can't get a hold on it. I think I'm just moving too fast, but I'm surprised at how much of a challenge it suddenly is. The last few levels haven't been anywhere near this tough. I'm trying to capture the southwest base, after which I think it will probably be pretty straightforward, but working toward that has been difficult, for whatever reason. Any advice?

ravien56

So i'm thinking of getting this after I beat Infamous, but playing the demo kind of turned me off to it as it had a shitty tutorial. Does the game do a better job of introducing everything to you?

Paracelsus

Hcoregamer00 said:

Not all people are suited for portable gaming, not all people want to get used, keep that in mind. I can play up to 10 hrs straight if it's a homeconsole, barely 1 hr per day on a portable one. It's uncomfortable, it gives me neckache and tires my eyes to death, and I'm NOT gonna get used to it just because my favorite genre shifted on portables. Luckily PSP is tv-out capable, because if it wasn't the case, I wouldn't think twice in giving VC2 the fingers, and I 100%ed VC1, loving every moment of it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Paracelsus said:
Not all people are suited for portable gaming, not all people want to get used, keep that in mind. I can play up to 10 hrs straight if it's a homeconsole, barely 1 hr per day on a portable one. It's uncomfortable, it gives me neckache and tires my eyes to death, and I'm NOT gonna get used to it just because my favorite genre shifted on portables. Luckily PSP is tv-out capable, because if it wasn't the case, I wouldn't think twice in giving VC2 the fingers, and I 100%ed VC1, loving every moment of it.
and yet you never see portable gaming fans bitching everytime a console game gets announced ;)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Undeux said:
I'm kind of sad that I'm so close to finishing the game. I've been putting an hour or two into it over the last several months, and almost every level has been great.

I think I'm in the second to last level (
the one where you're facing off against the huge tank that repairs itself, Lupus something
) and I just can't get a hold on it. I think I'm just moving too fast, but I'm surprised at how much of a challenge it suddenly is. The last few levels haven't been anywhere near this tough. I'm trying to capture the southwest base, after which I think it will probably be pretty straightforward, but working toward that has been difficult, for whatever reason. Any advice?
how are your lancer levels? anyway, there's a cheesy way to win.

Basically, select an engineer, elysse and Audrey[or your prefered lancer team, whatever] and place them near welkin.

select welkin and without moving the tank, fire a smoke bomb into the center/right center of the road near the camp. run the engineer and lancers into the the smoke, do not fire on anything with those units. use any remaining cp to peg lancers or the alley tank.

when the turn starts, the lupus will fire off its own smoke and drive towards the camp and your hidden lancers. the cpu will expend turns using the camps artillery gun to fire on welkin, luckily they'll usually hit a lamppost between the gun and the tank so you should be unharmed. a lancer and tank will land a few hits, but normally they are unable to finish off welkin in that one turn.

your second turn starts, the smoke blows away and you now have two lancers and an engineer within spitting distance of lupus. fire away, you should be able to kill him on this turn. otherwise repair welkin's tank and win on the third turn against the unarmoured lupus.

its cheesy, but it works.

Paracelsus

grandjedi6 said:
and yet you never see portable gaming fans bitching everytime a console game gets announced ;)

You know very well it doesn't work both ways, because it's the very first generation portable gaming is strong enough (as in portable > home both in Japan and worldwide) to the point of deserving so many mothership releases.

Undeux

Pandaman said:
how are your lancer levels? anyway, there's a cheesy way to win.

Ha, I'll keep that in mind if I get really stuck. My lancer levels are horrible (everything else is 16+, I think they're around 12) and I'd like to do it legitimately, but that's good to know.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Undeux said:
Ha, I'll keep that in mind if I get really stuck. My lancer levels are horrible (everything else is 16+, I think they're around 12) and I'd like to do it legitimately, but that's good to know.
yeah, its good to do it legitametly first. save the cheese for the godmode A level playthrough. xD

playing the first time around without orders is pretty awesome too.

Vyer

So this is the third game I've picked up for my PS3 (the first two being Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank:ToD) and it is awesome. I'm currently just on Ch. 8 (though 7 was a real bitch).

I feel like I'm not getting the most out of this game though. I know I'm pretty early in, but it seems like I'm not finding advancement in the way of weapons/armor, etc. I have picked up some of the side missions and have tried to keep my levels even, but for some reason it feels like I'm still missing something.

Are there a lot of extras dependent on 'A' ranking missions? Or is it just that I'm so early in that I haven't even really scratched the surface of the game?

No need for A rankings on your first playthrough.

I'd recommend saving xp for orders, cash for accuracy (rifles/snipers) and clip size (machine guns), and just enjoying the game in general.

Oh, get armor upgrades for everyone and everything.

-Winnie-

Pandaman said:
except the shamrock. No matter what you do, it'll never be worth two command points.

I found the Shamrock really useful, though. It's excellent for destroying tanks, since it has a lot of AP and its small and easy to maneuver behind other tanks and hit their heatsinks.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
-Winnie- said:
I found the Shamrock really useful, though. It's excellent for destroying tanks, since it has a lot of AP and its small and easy to maneuver behind other tanks and hit their heatsinks.
The shamrock can get the job done, but lancers are almost always a better and cheaper alternative, assuming you've upgraded them. [lancers do better damage, have comparable AP, use less CP or do more then double the damage/travel further with equal cp, are usually more accurate and are almost invulnerable under cover with decent defense against crossfire. while the shamrock only really has total crossfire immunity going for it.]

the only time the rock was really useful to me was on the beach invasion level. i'd use it to drive under the guns and take the base and spawn all my guys in there. even then it takes two turns to get him in.

its good compared to imperial units, but you have way better options with your lancers and/or welkin.

Clipjoint

I loved using the Shamrock with the flame thrower. It takes out a lot of those manned turrets in one shot, and any time the enemies are clumped together you can take them out all at once. I didn't use it on every mission, but it definitely came in handy.

On the Lupus level, just take out the bases one at a time. I started off by sending Alicia to the closest base on the right. With Caution and Increase Damage orders, she was able to take out the tank, the enemies, and take over the camp in one turn. Keep an engineer behind the Edelweisse to heal it after the Lupus attacks, that will keep the fire off your other units. I then sent Rosie to take the second camp, and the Shamrock to clear out any other camps where units were clustered, with a shock trooper there for cleanup and occupation. Don't leave any camps unguarded though - they will try to retake them aggressively.

That was just my own strategy - what's great about the game is that it's so flexible. Other people may have been just as effective with a completely different technique. Just find what works for you and stick with it.

Roto13

I had a dream about this game last night. I dreamed that I was playing the demo and I loved it. I would probably buy the game today if I wasn't moving tomorrow. :p

Giolon

Roto13 said:
I had a dream about this game last night. I dreamed that I was playing the demo and I loved it. I would probably buy the game today if I wasn't moving tomorrow. :p

Don't let that stop you. Buy it now! When you arrive at your new house/apartment, you'll have something to do while you're waiting for the cable/internet company to come hook your shit up.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Roto13 said:
You dreamt about the demo? wow, thats some realistic dreams.

Roto13

Giolon said:
Don't let that stop you. Buy it now! When you arrive at your new house/apartment, you'll have something to do while you're waiting for the cable/internet company to come hook your shit up.
I'm not even going to have a TV for like months. :p
Pandaman said:
You dreamt about the demo? wow, thats some realistic dreams.
Specifically, I used that dude with the bazooka thing to blow the crap out of a tank. It was a mission that was actually in the demo, too. With characters that I'm pretty sure are in it. :p

ravien56 said:
So i'm thinking of getting this after I beat Infamous, but playing the demo kind of turned me off to it as it had a shitty tutorial. Does the game do a better job of introducing everything to you?
Yes. The map in the demo is not the first thing you do, and at the very start you have fewer classes to work with. You can get the hang of moving, shooting, and avoiding enemy counter fire for a little, before you're given the whole suite of offensive options.

Alex

Finally got around to finishing earlier. Good game, but dissapointed in the difficulty for the main campaign.

That glimmer of "holy shit, this is a fantastically built game" that emerged in that city mission during chapter 4 kinda just fell on it's ass. I don't really understand what happened there, that mission had little to no hand holding, was a non-linear map and was just challenging in all of the right ways. Why can't they all be like that? Too many gimmick maps and too much linearity/handhold maps. :(

The game was very fun to play, and the story and the characters were quite entertaining, but it's a shame they had so much in the way of strategic options to build around and never really took it anywhere. Needed a difficulty mode toggle from the getgo on the title screen, and it needed to apply to campaign as well as skirmish. Also, 4.99 for a third difficulty mode for 9 maps is a little heavy on the nickle and diming. I'd still feel ripped off if that thing effected the entire game, but at least I'd have felt ripped off and would've bought it!

It's eerie how much it feels like this generations Dragon Quarter. Unique strategy blend, cool setting, Sakimoto soundtrack too! But in the end it's fancy new innovative systems go to waste due to a lack of the need to even use them.

Japanese games really have always had a problem with this though, especially SRPG's. They're either way too hard (preferred for me) or too easy.

wow at those initial designs. They're so flat and generic compared to their current versions. There's a lesson to be learned in character design right there.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
batbeg said:
Huuuge improvements, thank God.
Early game development is kind of like drawing a movie storyboard with stick figure sketches instead of the real actors. Things go in first more as placeholder items, and are improved upon later.

It is a really cool look at just how far a character will go through development, though.

KtSlime

ravien56: I was very disappointed by the demo, but I got the game, and it is probably my second best purchase of last year (Persona 4 being #1). It's brilliant, and the gameplay is absorbing. Best take on the SRPG format in years.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
a helpful tip for everyone just starting up:
be9au0.jpg

Marina's worth a class and a half. :D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
After the better part of a year, I finally tracked down this game... It's so good it brings a tear to my eye!! The gameplay is much deeper than I expected. It's the kind of game style that makes you wonder why no one invented it years ago! The graphics are so gorgeous, the music is pleasant Sakimoto-ness (nothing spectacular yet, but solid and majestic, and I am early), and the characters are just adorable. Not just Alicia and Welkin, but each of the squad is bursting with personality.

Between this game and my finally getting a 360 + Lost Odyssey, I feel like this gen of hardware has finally gotten to the epic adventures I crave out of gaming. If you ask me, it's been a difficult gen for fans of Japanese styled epics (at least for home HD consoles) and I know I'm a little late on these two titles, but it feels like my types of games are back in current gen tech :)

Just finished the game, and I have a question: I started a new game, off my cleared game data, and it seems the enemies are at the same level as in the usual game. So I'm level 15 and they're at, what, 1? What is the point of this? Why would I want to play this way? If anything I want to play it with higher difficulty, not lower. So, tell me GAF, what's the best way to extend my time with this gem of a game? I guess my plan is to do all the skirmishes on hard. Anything else worth doing?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Rich Uncle Skeleton said:
Just finished the game, and I have a question: I started a new game, off my cleared game data, and it seems the enemies are at the same level as in the usual game. So I'm level 15 and they're at, what, 1? What is the point of this? Why would I want to play this way? If anything I want to play it with higher difficulty, not lower. So, tell me GAF, what's the best way to extend my time with this gem of a game? I guess my plan is to do all the skirmishes on hard. Anything else worth doing?
dlc?

hard ex is IMO the best one in terms of longeivity, but selvaria is challenging and edy is bursting with character.

if you're not interested in dlc, then yea, hard skirmishes would be your best bet and/or completitionist grinding.

have you also unlocked all the bonus reporter missions?

gokieks

Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

Letting you re-play the same levels while starting out at a high level is standard for "new game+" modes. And there are a few small things that are not available until you start a new game+, such as Hard Mode skirmishes, an extra report, an extra character, more information in character bios, etc.

akachan ningen said:
Weren't they gonna put trophies in this game? Or was that just in japan?

No. Anything and everything about a trophy patch thus far has been nothing more than wishful thinking.

A few things: First of all, thanks to everyone for their helpful advice a few pages ago. I ended up sticking with the game, and now I'm on Chapter 9! :D I'm absolutely loving it, but this type of game is definitely not my forte, and every mission takes me absolutely ages (and I usually end up D-ranked). Really, it's the charm and character of the title that's ensnared me.

So yeah, I'm on Ch9, my Scouts are on Lv11 and my Snipers are about Lv7, the rest trailing. I've been visiting Old Raiden - I mean the old graveyard guy, for orders, and I've been doing the occasional skirmish. Am I doing it right? If anyone has any sure-fire idiot-proof tips for the future, I'll certainly take it on board.

Has anyone in the UK noticed how meagre the magazine coverage for this game (and upcoming sequel) is? The OPM reviewed the Jap import last year, slapped an 8/10 on it and haven't mentioned it since. Some other mags never even covered it at all. I just think it's wierd how this one completely passed our gaming media by, when it's surely one of the best PS3 games out there.

-Winnie-

To be honest, I hardly ever used any of the orders I got from the old man.

If it helps, this is how I would usually tackle a mission.
1. Move the Edeilweiss and position it so that it can be used as cover.
2. Use a sniper to take out as many enemies as possible.
3. Get your engineer to follow the Edeilweiss, and give some ammo to the sniper if you can snipe any more from that position.
4. If you have the
Shamrock
, use it to get behind other tanks and blast their radiators.
5. Slowly advance using Shocktroopers.
6. Move towards objective with Scouts, using grenade launcher to attack Shocktroopers or the rifle for other enemies. Don't be afraid to get right up close to non-Shocktrooper enemies and shoot them point blank.

Might just be some common sense tactics, but hopefully it helps in some way.

Hcoregamer00 said:

I am not "bitching" about portable consoles and their line ups. I actually agree with you on the part that they have amazing lineups. I would just like the option of playing it on a big screen. Who wouldn't want to buy PSP games off the PS store? After all you are buying PSP games OFF the PS3, why cant I have the option of playing the games off my PS3?

The one thing I really don't like about VC is the damn translation. The English subtitles are the same as the English audio, which often is way different from what is said in Japanese. For us anime fans who have learned a little bit of Japanese it's a major pain to read the subtitles and try to figure out what is really said, while still following the visual action, and Japanese VO is always better than English, with the rare exception of the Metal Gear Solid franchise.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i've been marathoning valk all weekend and well, i booted it up today to be pleasently surprised:
25056wz.jpg

359zll5.gif

who else has made it into the three digits? this is only my second current-gen game to break the 100 hour mark. ^^

akachan ningen said:
Weren't they gonna put trophies in this game? Or was that just in japan?

Yeah, it was a japan exclusive only. They realized how few people that play VC really cared about trophies and pulled it.
That's not true.

Congrats Padaman! That's pretty awesome!

Dyno

Pandaman said:
a helpful tip for everyone just starting up:
be9au0.jpg

Marina's worth a class and a half. :D

I levelled up all of my classes the same (15 or 14 by game's end) and found that in the final stages the snipers really took care of business. Also the Scout Elite's rifle grenades were one shot kills to almost every standing troop.

Top Bottom