• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
dojokun said:
Seriously, it's not made by a Sony 1st or 2nd party. It's like an MGS4 wtf exclusive.

:lol

Exclusives happen, it just so happens that the exclusive is not on your platform of choice.

dojokun

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

Exclusives happen, it just so happens that the exclusive is not on your platform of choice.
No one questions that they happen. Just wondering why they happen when it's 3rd party this gen, especially if the game isn't made in some way where it really takes advantage of one console's hardware. It's beautiful but there's no way it can't be done on 360.

DigiMish

Joining the party now! Played the demo a while ago and always wanted to pick this gem up, just never had the time. Finally got it, and pretty excited to dive into it. My friends told me to level up the Scouts since they rape later on, is that true?

dojokun

Banned
DigiMish said:
Joining the party now! Played the demo a while ago and always wanted to pick this gem up, just never had the time. Finally got it, and pretty excited to dive into it. My friends told me to level up the Scouts since they rape later on, is that true?
Dunno yet. I'm at the beginning of the game (just recently took command of Squad 7) and so far I've been playing the Skirmish (only one available to me right now) over and over. I've been using a Sniper to kill almost everyone.

But I can see why Scouts might rape later on. The Gallian rifle they use (I think it's the same ones Engineers use) has the longest range out of the all the guns that counter-fire. When I say that, I mean that when it's the enemy's turn and the enemy is moving, your guys fire at them as soon as they are within range. Snipers don't do that, though, so that leaves people with the Gallian rifle (Engineers and Scouts) with the longest range during this part of the enemy's turn.

Hcoregamer00

dojokun said:
No one questions that they happen. Just wondering why they happen when it's 3rd party this gen, especially if the game isn't made in some way where it really takes advantage of one console's hardware. It's beautiful but there's no way it can't be done on 360.

There are a myriad of reasons
-Building franchise loyalty to people of that brand (Which is why Valkyria 2 is exclusive to a SONY playtation portable).
-Exclusivity to make a release more palpable to a user base
-Because the company feels that the base is more willing to buy the product
-They do not see financial reason to spread development costs over mutiple platforms

dojokun

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
There are a myriad of reasons
-Building franchise loyalty to people of that brand (Which is why Valkyria 2 is exclusive to a SONY playtation portable).
-Exclusivity to make a release more palpable to a user base
-Because the company feels that the base is more willing to buy the product
-They do not see financial reason to spread development costs over mutiple platforms
Well, then that just leaves the question as to why the next one is on PSP instead of on PS3 again.

DigiMish

SEGA probably figures that Valkyria 2 is going to sell like hotcakes considering it's on the PSP since the PSP is kicking ass in Japan right now.

Hopefully Valkyria 2 will net them enough profit for Valkyria 3 on the PS3.

Hcoregamer00

dojokun said:
Well, then that just leaves the question as to why the next one is on PSP instead of on PS3 again.

It doesn't take a genius to figure it out
-PS3's expensive development costs vs. the PSP's not-so-expensive development costs
-PSP's MASSIVE user base
-A new platform means a new way to reimagine, reinvigorate, and rebrand the franchise.
-A new platform that may be more accepting of the Valkyria franchise

DigiMish said:
SEGA probably figures that Valkyria 2 is going to sell like hotcakes considering it's on the PSP since the PSP is kicking ass in Japan right now.

Hopefully Valkyria 2 will net them enough profit for Valkyria 3 on the PS3.

No, if Valkyria 2 is a huge money maker for them, why would they go back to the PS3? If you make a huge amount of money in a business, you don't go back to a money sinkhole after that.

dojokun

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
It doesn't take a genius to figure it out
-PS3's expensive development costs vs. the PSP's not-so-expensive development costs
-PSP's MASSIVE user base
-A new platform means a new way to reimagine, reinvigorate, and rebrand the franchise.
-A new platform that may be more accepting of the Valkyria franchise
Well the first three things you said are true for every game. As for the 4th one, did VC not sell well on PS3?

Hcoregamer00

dojokun said:
Well the first three things you said are true for every game. As for the 4th one, did VC not sell well on PS3?

Yes, it is true for every game.

What a coincidence, Valkyria Chronicles 2 is like every game out there. It is not an exception to the rule.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Hcoregamer00 said:
Yes, it is true for every game.

What a coincidence, Valkyria Chronicles 2 is like every game out there. It is not an exception to the rule.

huh?

Jinaar

Cannot wait to try this game today. I am one of the people recently that just got a PS3 Slim. My 2nd game purchased is this after just passing MGS4 last night. I am truly looking forward to this and a big thanks for everyone on this thread keeping it bumped over the months to keep my interest in it. Hope to have favorable impressions on this game tonight. Cheers all!

PS - you can still find this game new at Canadian Best Buy stores for $39.99. Proceeds going to Sega. Hopefully ^_^

DigiMish

Also itching to get into the anime once I finish the game once. I know some people hate it, but I want to get the most information possible about the Valkyria universe.:D

DemiMatt

this thread makes me want to do 1 of 2 things.

1) buy a psp so I can play 2.

2) Replay 1 on expert, which is insanely hard considering you are pincered at close quarter at the start of each map, hahah.

Srsly my favorite game on the ps3 and def of this Gen.

dojokun

Banned
DemiMatt said:
Srsly my favorite game on the ps3 and def of this Gen.
Me too. The game has so much personality to it. Literally, each and every recruit has a personality. Anyone who doesn't love this game deserves to burn in hell.

Hcoregamer00

DarienA said:

My point was simple, just because it applies to every game out there doesn't make my bullet points any less true when arguing why Valkyria Chronicles 2 switched platforms from the PS3 to the PSP.

Valkyria Chronicles is a game, and therefore the bullet points are not any less true.

ianp622

DigiMish said:

Scouts were my mainstay the entire game. I only used Shocktroopers for defense, one engineer whenever I had a tank, one Lancer until
I got mortars, then I used one each
, and one sniper. Scouts took up the rest of the spots.

klee123

dojokun said:
I also would like to get my hands on the art book.

Also, does anyone know why this game is a PS3 exclusive?

Same can be asked for third party exclusives on the 360, especially the Japanese developed ones.

Keikoku

Banned
dojokun said:

It was going to be a 360 exclusive at the start, but finally it was cancelled and made for PS3. I think it was because of some anime rights stuff owned par Sony or something.

Keikoku said:
It was going to be a 360 exclusive at the start, but finally it was cancelled and made for PS3. I think it was because of some anime rights stuff owned par Sony or something.
More realistically, they realized that if they were going to put it on only one HD console, better to aim for the one that actually had some presence in the Japanese market. Ideally you'd release on both consoles, but that would've driven development costs even higher.

If Valkyria had been a more "western" game, it might've been a 360 exclusive.

Incidentally, beating this game has really made me want a SoA2.

DigiMish said:
Joining the party now! Played the demo a while ago and always wanted to pick this gem up, just never had the time. Finally got it, and pretty excited to dive into it.

Same here. Yesterday I picked up the last, if not one of the last, copies on the shelf in my city, and really like it so far.

Sometimes it's nice to sit back and enjoy the slow pace of turn-based combat. The art style is also pretty refreshing to look at.

Darkpen

Banned

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
I haven't forgotten you guys. ;)

So, GAF gets the next update before anyone else:

W _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ - ar _ _ _ _ - _ o _ _ s - _ r _ _ _ _ .

Good luck!

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
RubyEclipse said:

Good luck!

What comes around goes around?

dojokun

Banned
RubyEclipse said:

Good luck!
Where do you submit guesses?

dojokun

Banned
RubyEclipse said:

Good luck!
What goes around comes around.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Durante said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how either "comes" or "goes" fits into the spaces.

Because I muddled them up by accident, it is the other way around, Dojokon has it right.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
dojokun said:
If that is the answer, you can have the prize. You deserve it.

My fault for not checking before I posted. I put the correct version on twitter, just hope nobody beat me to it.

dojokun

Banned
Saiyar said:
My fault for not checking before I posted. I put the correct version on twitter, just hope nobody beat me to it.
I feel dumb for asking, but how do you post on twitter? I am signed in, looking at the Valkyria Tribune page and I see no "post" link.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
dojokun said:
I feel dumb for asking, but how do you post on twitter? I am signed in, looking at the Valkyria Tribune page and I see no "post" link.

To reply just click on the little curly arrow on the right hand side of the post.
I just signed in for this compettion, took me a while to notice it aswell.

dojokun

Banned
Saiyar said:
To reply just click on the little curly arrow on the right hand side of the post.
I just signed in for this compettion, took me a while to notice it aswell.
Man, twitter is just not my thing.

I am guessing that we can't view other people's responses?

AleeN634

There was a brief discussion about the anime 40 posts back. I've been watching and its an average anime. This is another one of those cases where the game gives you so much more than the anime (in terms of background etc.) which is a bit of a shame since the anime was a great chance to complement the game in terms of interaction with the whole of Squad 7 but instead choose to focus on the Alicia-Welkin-Faldio relationship.

Technically the best episodes (in my opinion) are the original ones that deal a lot more with the background story of Welkin or Prince Maximillion and life in the Empire. It's nice that they include the DLC character Johann (even though he changed from Engineer to Officer).

It's also strange to me that they would change the way some events are presented in the anime and ignore certain elements of the game. But that's more personal preference.

I'd say (if you're curious in watching it) that it's better to watch after beating the game (and DLC) to see the differences but don't expect it to be the definitive telling of the Valkyria Chronicles story.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Clipjoint said:
Does that mean the earlier guesses were wrong?
Letters will continue to be revealed until the phrase is complete, even if someone guesses correctly.

Once the full phrase is confirmed, the people at each of the respective sites (Twitter, Facebook) who were the first to guess correctly during the reveal will be announced and awarded the Valkyria Figurines.

Giolon

Zzoram said:
It has its own medal system though! They're just like trophies...

But geez, I never thought PS3 owners would get so fucking obnoxious about trophies after all the "achievements are worthless" shit they spouted off before PS3 had anything comparable to the ones on 360 (That's not directed at you, Zzoram). Anybody not buying Valkyria Chronicles because it has no trophies is a moron.

batbeg

Hcoregamer00 said:

No, if Valkyria 2 is a huge money maker for them, why would they go back to the PS3? If you make a huge amount of money in a business, you don't go back to a money sinkhole after that.

See, you'd think this, but then you have to remember: Sega.

Top Bottom