• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

zurra

the selvaria and edy DLCs are definitely worth it (especially selvaria), hard EX mode if you're a masochist... or actually finished all the hard mode skirmishes and want an even more ridiculous challenge.

three thumbs up!

Giolon

Alucrid said:
Quick question, is the DLC worth paying for?

Selvaria, yes! Edy, meh (I hate that bitch). EX Hard Mode - how much did you enjoy the Hard Mode skirmishes? If the answer is "a lot" then go for that DLC too.

Azuran

Banned
I just bought this game today and I really can't wait to play it. For some reason, I couldn't find it anywhere in Canada but as soon as I went to Buffalo, all the stores had the game on stock (and it was a lot cheaper too).

God bless America.

Congrats, you're going to have a blast.

Oh, and the point of Game+? Easy A rankings.

Well, more like "possible." Some of the levels would be exceedingly hard to get A on in your first run through.

r.gun

Neo Member
Shikashi said:
I was told the same thing, but struggle to get into the game by the 2nd page.

I picked up the game recently (haven't popped it in yet, though) but a friend of mine told me that it takes about 4 hours to really start getting good.

rvy

Banned
r.gun said:
I picked up the game recently (haven't popped it in yet, though) but a friend of mine told me that it takes about 4 hours to really start getting good.
Yeah, but I dislike the gameplay. Putting more hours into it is not going to help. I think I bought the game more to support it than because I liked it.

I don't regret it anyway, at least I did my part.

Koren

Alucrid said:
Quick question, is the DLC worth paying for?
Selvaria one definitively has a great value.

Edy one is a single map, so it's quite expensive, but I found it to be one of the most interesting battles I've done.

Hard Ex one is for players that finished and enjoyed hard skirmishes. If you're in that case, it's definitively an interesting plus.

There's no bad DLC for people who have enjoyed the game, but you might find some of them expensive (Edy) or out of your interests.

Dyno said:
Also the Scout Elite's rifle grenades were one shot kills to almost every standing troop.
Scouts seems the most powerful class at the end, to me. Even if grenades can't kill a guy in a base, it can knock it out of base, which is the same as killing it, given that it'll allow you to capture the base (which is often the objective).

zurra said:
the selvaria and edy DLCs are definitely worth it (especially selvaria), hard EX mode if you're a masochist... or actually finished all the hard mode skirmishes and want an even more ridiculous challenge.
With good troops, Hard is in fact really easy when you've spend hours with the game. Hard Ex brings interesting twists (no tank which has its consequences, even if I don't like the randomness of capabilities)

FlightOfHeaven said:
Congrats, you're going to have a blast.

Oh, and the point of Game+? Easy A rankings.

Well, more like "possible." Some of the levels would be exceedingly hard to get A on in your first run through.
I've gotten A on most missions past 8 (hadn't understood that it was a time requirement before that) on my first playthrough, and that was without playing a single skirmish to level-up. I think it's rather a matter of understanding how using the troops to blitz-clear the objectives. Besides, the more A you get, the more the game become easy because of upgrades...

Koren

FlightOfHeaven said:
Understood. I had not realized that grade depended entirely only speed. I thought it was speed, damage taken, damage dealt, ect.
I discovered it by accident on a forum (and since there's a lot of "capture the base" or "kill X" missions, it makes things greatly easier)

epmode said:
That's how it should have been.
I agree. I love the Advance Wars scoring system : 1/3 for speed, 1/3 for offense (damage dealt computed in % of enemies down), 1/3 for defence (damage received computed in % of allies down, which allows taking damage for a strategic advantage). Valkyria would have benefitted of another dimension should such a system be used.

Shikashi said:
Yeah, but I dislike the gameplay. Putting more hours into it is not going to help. I think I bought the game more to support it than because I liked it.

I don't regret it anyway, at least I did my part.
IMO, it does take a little getting used to. And the game doesn't really start until chapter 3 (I think that's the first proper squad mission anyway), so keep that in mind.

My basic reaction was "eh" for the first few chapters, and then FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-- WHY IS IT SO AWESOME

Anyway, PS3 is finally properly in my possession. Scheming away at chapter 15 as we speak.

I remember Chapter 7 was so exciting, the music was incredible, the atmosphere so tense, I was physically shaking.

I've never been so immersed into a game so emotionally for a long long time.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
radiantdreamer said:
I remember Chapter 7 was so exciting, the music was incredible, the atmosphere so tense, I was physically shaking.

I've never been so immersed into a game so emotionally for a long long time.
I'll agree there, Chapter 7 was awesome.

The end of the game was also completely worth any frustration built up from the more difficult stages - so worth it.

El-Suave

Yay, more VC merchandise:

10095090a.jpg
10095090a2.jpg

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10095090

10095087a.jpg
10095087a2.jpg

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10095087

Widge

-Winnie- said:
I found the Shamrock really useful, though. It's excellent for destroying tanks, since it has a lot of AP and its small and easy to maneuver behind other tanks and hit their heatsinks.

There is one map where you are caught in a pincer between two tanks and are getting smashed by mortars... lots of troops keep spawning at one end. I had it where a row of scouts and stormtroopers were keeping a crowd of about 6 enemies at bay, funnelling them into a bottleneck, and my Shamrock would then romp forward and nail them with one hit. 2 command points, all enemies dead.

They kept spawning, so it was repeat and repeat, but effectively 2 points kept one side of me covered while I spent the rest of my points on the romp.

The only thing I tended not to use was the Edelweiss... for the "if it gets nailed, its game over" fear.

Paracelsus

I hope I can find the shirt on a site which doesn't charge 19 usd for shipping a fucking t-shirt with 14 days airmail (that's how much the only retailer with shirts available charges). >.>

Paracelsus said:
I hope I can find the shirt on a site which doesn't charge 19 usd for shipping a fucking t-shirt with 14 days airmail (that's how much the only retailer with shirts available charges). >.>

You talking about hobbysearch?

Azuran said:
I just bought this game today and I really can't wait to play it. For some reason, I couldn't find it anywhere in Canada but as soon as I went to Buffalo, all the stores had the game on stock (and it was a lot cheaper too).

God bless America.

Buffalo is a magical place.

The Shamrock had its uses, and it seems different people used it very differently.

I personally used it as the ultimate anti-personnel unit. Destroying barriers and flaming down 3 or more enemy troops was the hight of hilarity. I never used it as an anti-tank measure. I had the Edelweisse and my Lancers for that.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hey guys, I went to Kinokuniya on Thursday to pick up some import manga. As I just finished purchasing my manga, I also inquired about the Valkyria Chronicles official artbook.

The person working over there mentioned that it was first in their distribution database on May 2009, for release in July 2009. Then as it got closer to July 2009, the Official Artbook was removed from the database and its future is unknown. I asked her if I was the only person who was interested in preordering this artbook, she pointed to a stack of 10 preorders. She said that it was the most preorders for an artbook in recent memory.

She will call me in around 3 weeks to give me an update on the Artbook's Status.

KtSlime

Hcoregamer00: There's a 紀伊國屋 where you live, that must mean you are either in Oregon, California, Washington or New York!

Is this artbook any different than the preorder artbook I got for the game last year?

Hcoregamer00

ivedoneyourmom said:
Hcoregamer00: There's a 紀伊國屋 where you live, that must mean you are either in Oregon, California, Washington or New York!

Is this artbook any different than the preorder artbook I got for the game last year?

The Artbook is essentially the preorder artbook +160 pages.

Basically more awesome art for the entire cast, tanks, cities, and weapons.

Snaku

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Hey guys, I went to Kinokuniya on Thursday to pick up some import manga. As I just finished purchasing my manga, I also inquired about the Valkyria Chronicles official artbook.

The person working over there mentioned that it was first in their distribution database on May 2009, for release in July 2009. Then as it got closer to July 2009, the Official Artbook was removed from the database and its future is unknown. I asked her if I was the only person who was interested in preordering this artbook, she pointed to a stack of 10 preorders. She said that it was the most preorders for an artbook in recent memory.

She will call me in around 3 weeks to give me an update on the Artbook's Status.

Hope it's still coming. =/

KtSlime

Hcoregamer00, thanks sounds sweet, I'll visit my local 紀伊國屋 and see if they'll be getting it. Everyone should give Valkyria Chronicles as much money as they can.

Hcoregamer00

Snaku said:
Hope it's still coming. =/

Hope so too, the artbook description she gave me was great.

That is of course, until it was removed from the database.

ivedoneyourmom said:
Hcoregamer00, thanks sounds sweet, I'll visit my local 紀伊國屋 and see if they'll be getting it. Everyone should give Valkyria Chronicles as much money as they can.

I live in California, since we are home to 4 Kinokuniya's.

But, I will definitely buy DAY ONE to support the game, even if I have to drive 40 miles (one way) to get there.

HUELEN10

I read about 12 pages, but I don't have the time to read the over 70 pages the thread is now at. I bought this game months ago, and later this month will have a console to play it on. To just bare-bones beat the game, how long on average would you guys say it would take? I like to take a game's length into consideration, so I can know how to schedule it around the old backlog.

Nevertheless, I can't wait to play it. :D

KtSlime

HUELEN10: I'd say maybe about 20 hours, if you're not going and replaying levels, and you don't fail on a mission, and you don't play any of the extra levels or DLC. But it's totally worth it! Awesome to hear you bought the game and don't even have a PS3 yet.

HUELEN10

ivedoneyourmom said:
HUELEN10: I'd say maybe about 20 hours, if you're not going and replaying levels, and you don't fail on a mission, and you don't play any of the extra levels or DLC. But it's totally worth it! Awesome to hear you bought the game and don't even have a PS3 yet.
I did have a PS3 at one point, but I sold it due to it sounding louder than a train, and then I waited for the Slim. I'm getting a Slim within a month, so no better time to ask!

20 hours bare-bones sounds fine, I thought it was 40 so this is awesome news for me. Regardless, I am so picking up the DLC for it. Definitely moving this up in the backlog, can't wait to play it! :D

Hcoregamer00

HUELEN10 said:
I did have a PS3 at one point, but I sold it due to it sounding louder than a train, and then I waited for the Slim. I'm getting a Slim within a month, so no better time to ask!

20 hours bare-bones sounds fine, I thought it was 40 so this is awesome news for me. Regardless, I am so picking up the DLC for it. Definitely moving this up in the backlog, can't wait to play it! :D

You have to get the Selvaria DLC once you beat Valkyria Chronicles.

All the other ones are okay.

If you are wondering who the hell is General Selvaria, she is my avatar character.

Giolon

I live near the San Francisco Valkyria. What title do I go in asking them about for the Valkyria Chronicles artbook? Do I need to bring it written in Japanese?

And damn on that shirt. I really want one, but I was too slow. :(

CO_Andy

Don't i feel like an ignoramus; just noticed the Japanese anime adopted the North American title instead of the Japanese one (Valkyrie of the Battlefield). Kinda neat! (forgot whether the PSP sequel adopts this or not)

Any of you Valkyria fans who hasn't catch the anime should. It follows the original's plot fairly closely and provides some exposition that wasn't in the game (like Rosie's past). I was in bitter tears in a fairly recent episode. Go watch it!

jiuIPxFNSw.jpg

KtSlime

Eh? Looks to me to still be 戦場のヴァキュリア in the anime.

**edit**

To those who don't read Japanese: 戦場 (senjyou) means battle and location, so battlefield.

Giolon

CO_Andy said:
Don't i feel like an ignoramus; just noticed the Japanese anime adopted the North American title instead of the Japanese one (Valkyrie of the Battlefield). Kinda neat! (forgot whether the PSP sequel adopts this or not)

Any of you Valkyria fans who hasn't catch the anime should. It follows the original's plot fairly closely and provides some exposition that wasn't in the game (like Rosie's past). I was in bitter tears in a fairly recent episode. Go watch it!

I really dislike the anime. They completely changed the personalities and relationships of characters like Alicia, Welkin and Faldio. As for Rosie's past, that was in the game in the Ellet Embeded Reports, and they changed that too. They also made moderate deviations from the plot of the game that were completely unnecessary (Battle of Barious anyone?). It's not the worst anime in the world, but it doesn't hold a candle to the game.

CO_Andy said:

jiuIPxFNSw.jpg

Are you watching a fan-sub?

Giolon

I really think those picture links should be marked spoilers as well...although the dumb animators put giant spoilers in the 2nd half opening so *shrug*.

Terrible anime adaptation is terrible.

Dave1988

Watching the 21st ep was FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU---inducing. How could they QUALITY one of the most important battles of VC?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

KtSlime

I simply don't watch the anime because I hear really mixed reviews of it, and frankly I'd rather spend my time re-watching エンドレスエイト *AGAIN*.:D

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:

Can you tell me anything more about this Valkyria Chronicles art book? I went down to Kinokuniya in SF on Sunday and tried to ask about it and the chick behind the counter was just kind of like "I've got no idea what you're talking about. There's nothing in here." She showed me there were some listings for the anime DVDs and comic books and stuff, but no art book.

Billen

Banned
Bought this the other day and tried it for the first time today. Truly an outstanding game, both when it comes to visuals and the gameplay.

Top Bottom