• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

DR2K

Banned
RubyEclipse said:
Hey there GAF,

First up, nice to meet you all. I go by RubyEclipse, and I'm the the community manager for Valkyria Chronicles here at SEGA of America. Just wanted to drop in and say thank you for all the support you guys here have given the game! Likewise, to all the people who are just recently picking it up, enjoy: you're in for a treat.

Those Selvaria figurines are pretty cool (even if the proportions are a little awkward); I'll ask around and see if I can get some shipped in to give away. I also have a couple unopened Series 1 Valkyria figurines that I plan to send out soon.

Anyways, might as well make the first post a good one, so: the first person to reply to this post gets a free code for their choice of one of the Valkyria DLC packs! The only rule is that I'd like it to be someone who has already posted in this thread once before, to make sure it goes out to a fan.

Thanks again, good luck, and I'll catch you guys around. :)

Already got all 3, but really cool that you offered.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Shadow780 said:
Thanks for the offer! Keep up the good work!:D
Nice, the code is yours if you want it! Just let me know which pack you want and I'll send it over.

Sorry if I come off as a broken record, but is there any possibility at all of trophies for the game?
No worries - I've been pushing for trophies ever since I first heard about the three-DLC pack for the game last year. Right now I know the dev team is working very hard on the Japanese sequel, but I have passed on all the requests, and will continue to.

Is this game very long? I am about to start it
Like Classic said, you'll probably spend around 30-40 hours on your first playthrough. There is a nice level of replay value even after you beat it, though, so possibly much more if you like the battle system.
Welcome to GAF! Love VC, though the direction VC2 is taking concerns me greatly.
Thanks for the welcome! I had similar concerns at first with the more anime-ish style, but the recent interviews with the devs helped assuage those. I was happy to hear that the original dev team is (almost) entirely the same from the original game, and that the battle system will also be mostly the same, but with some notable upgrades.

Actually, I'm curious, and maybe this is a question you can answer - Red Entertainment seems to have a hand in the Valkyria Chronicles IP, and I know for certain they have ties with the people at Good Smile Company since they released the Shiraki series. Any reason why GSC never picked up the IP for figures?
That's a good question, and honestly one I don't know a ton about personally - all the SEGA Toys / Yujin figurine items are created in Japan, and I usually either buy them or ask around internally to get some to give out to fans. Still, I'll keep an ear out just in case I hear something relating to your question!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RubyEclipse said:
Hey there GAF,

First up, nice to meet you all. I go by RubyEclipse, and I'm the the community manager for Valkyria Chronicles here at SEGA of America. Just wanted to drop in and say thank you for all the support you guys here have given the game! Likewise, to all the people who are just recently picking it up, enjoy: you're in for a treat.

Those Selvaria figurines are pretty cool (even if the proportions are a little awkward); I'll ask around and see if I can get some shipped in to give away. I also have a couple unopened Series 1 Valkyria figurines that I plan to send out soon.

Anyways, might as well make the first post a good one, so: the first person to reply to this post gets a free code for their choice of one of the Valkyria DLC packs! The only rule is that I'd like it to be someone who has already posted in this thread once before, to make sure it goes out to a fan.

No problem, giving support is natural since the game quality is so good.

Now work on getting us Valkyria Chronicles 2, there is no need on letting the sequel stay in Japan only.

RubyEclipse said:
Thanks for the welcome! I had similar concerns at first with the more anime-ish style, but the recent interviews with the devs helped assuage those. I was happy to hear that the original dev team is (almost) entirely the same from the original game, and that the battle system will also be mostly the same, but with some notable upgrades.

Ruby, trust me. Don't even bother with the people on Valkyria Chronicles 2.

Most of the concerns lay with the switch in platform, rather than the changes in artstyle.

firehawk12 said:
You know, after the Yakuza 3 news... just to be sure... VC2 is coming to the US, right?

I wonder how much it would cost Sega of Japan/America to make english subtitles. So at lease those that would want to play it, could just import it and download the patch.

I don't imagine the cost would be too prohibitive.

Please just don't tell us that VC2 is really far off ._.

demosthenes said:
I wonder how much it would cost Sega of Japan/America to make english subtitles. So at lease those that would want to play it, could just import it and download the patch.

Next summer would be my guess

KillJade

Banned
I never really played SRPGs before because I just plain suck at them. I picked this game up a few months ago though because I figured it would make a great entry game into the genre. So far I'm loving it!! I keep getting Ds and Cs but I'm still having tons of fun. Over time I think I'll get better at thinking ahead and coming up with the right strats.:D

Hcoregamer00

firehawk12 said:
You know, after the Yakuza 3 news... just to be sure... VC2 is coming to the US, right?

demosthenes said:

I just hope it isn't a downloadable only game.

I want my UMD release ;-;

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hcoregamer00 said:
I just hope it isn't a downloadable only game.

I want my UMD release ;-;

Well, I wouldn't mind either way as long as it makes its way over here. I think I'm still a bit bitter about Yakuza 3, but I could see someone saying "it only sold 100k copies, so there's no point in localizing it. Let's make Iron Hulk 3 instead".

Hcoregamer00

firehawk12 said:
Well, I wouldn't mind either way as long as it makes its way over here. I think I'm still a bit bitter about Yakuza 3, but I could see someone saying "it only sold 100k copies, so there's no point in localizing it. Let's make Iron Hulk 3 instead".

Just remember that Yakuza had two chances before Sega gave up on it.

Valkyria Chronicles had one chance, and they were reasonably pleased with the results. As long as SEGA is happy, then they will keep localizing the game in the states.

It is not a matter of if it will come to the USA, the question is "What format will the game come in for a USA release?" They could easily just make it a downloadable only game or have both a downloadable and a UMD release.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Just remember that Yakuza had two chances before Sega gave up on it.

Valkyria Chronicles had one chance, and they were reasonably pleased with the results. As long as SEGA is happy, then they will keep localizing the game in the states.

It is not a matter of if it will come to the USA, the question is "What format will the game come in for a USA release?" They could easily just make it a downloadable only game or have both a downloadable and a UMD release.

I still maintain that the way Yakuza 1 and 2 were released doesn't constitute being given a chance.

Anyway, I wonder what VC's actually sold worldwide now?

firehawk12 said:

And sadly, that will sell a lot.

I really want to know how much adding subtitles to a game would cost though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Assuming it'll be localized, we'll be in the age of the "Go" by the time it comes out here, so I have to wonder. UMD games might be dead by that point... and in terms of loading and what not, a digital version might be better.

As for the localization cost... I'm sure it's more than just subtitles. Like, they'll have to pony up the ESRB rating cost (which now feels more like a racket than an actual useful service). I'm sure they'll probably have to make the game easier for us as well. :lol

firehawk12 said:
Assuming it'll be localized, we'll be in the age of the "Go" by the time it comes out here, so I have to wonder. UMD games might be dead by that point... and in terms of loading and what not, a digital version might be better.

As for the localization cost... I'm sure it's more than just subtitles. Like, they'll have to pony up the ESRB rating cost (which now feels more like a racket than an actual useful service). I'm sure they'll probably have to make the game easier for us as well. :lol

I'm not talking about localizing Yakuza 3. Look how many people have imported the Asian version of Demon's Soul, because it had English subtitles.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
demosthenes said:
I'm not talking about localizing Yakuza 3. Look how many people have imported the Asian version of Demon's Soul, because it had English subtitles.

Ahh, yeah. Well, I guess that assumes if they bother making an Asian version of the game. I'm sure there are still costs to that though. I have an Asian version of Siren somewhere and they had to do Chinese manuals, which probably costs some money.

firehawk12 said:
Ahh, yeah. Well, I guess that assumes if they bother making an Asian version of the game. I'm sure there are still costs to that though. I have an Asian version of Siren somewhere and they had to do Chinese manuals, which probably costs some money.

Ok then...they should just add English subtitles to games they never intend to release outside of Japan...jerks! XD

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
RubyEclipse said:
Hey there GAF,

(No. 060)
Failed to recognize POSTER ID.

The forums may be undergoing a maintenance.

RubyEclipse said:
That's a good question, and honestly one I don't know a ton about personally - all the SEGA Toys / Yujin figurine items are created in Japan, and I usually either buy them or ask around internally to get some to give out to fans. Still, I'll keep an ear out just in case I hear something relating to your question!

THAT'S RIGHT!!! Sega has their own Toys division! They pump out A LOT of Evangelion figures every few months. That really adds to the mystery. Why did they choose Yujin when their own division's figure quality is literally par...? They target practically the same markets too...

Anyway, yeah VC figures would SO rock! I'd photoshop them into a nice scene like I always do with my figures. (http://www.radiantdreamer.net if anyone is interested =_=)

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
THAT'S RIGHT!!! Sega has their own Toys division! They pump out A LOT of Evangelion figures every few months. That really adds to the mystery. Why did they choose Yujin when their own division's figure quality is literally par...? They target practically the same markets too...

SEGA also made my AWESOME Melty Blood figures I got two years ago at Anime Expo 2008.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
I have one of the Valkyria Figurines (Isara) on my desk, the quality is really impressive. I also have some Phantasy Star figures, which it sounds like Lindsay would recognize.

As to Yakuza 3 - that story was actually taken a bit out of context, though most of the sites have corrected it now. Officially, SEGA has not confirmed one way or the other if the title will come to the states. (Same for Valkyria Chronicles PSP, to answer that question.)

It is true, however, that bringing a game to the west, even without voice acting, is far more expensive than just paying for subtitles. That said, I think that the Yakuza fanbase is in many ways similar to Valkyria; with enough support and word of mouth driving buzz and sales, a message can be sent upward to the people who ultimately make decisions about which games make the jump across the Pacific. Valkyria did not succeed solely because we put out DLC, or because of a limited time price drop - they all played parts, but it was the thousands upon thousands of fans spreading the word and telling their friends that I feel was ultimately the biggest factor.

Now, just for FlightofHeaven - free Hard Mode EX DLC code to the first person who can answer this question:

Which town in Valkyria Chronicles is named after a country in Skies of Arcadia? Hint: When all else fails, check the writing on the wall...

Good luck!

Hcoregamer00

RubyEclipse said:
I have one of the Valkyria Figurines (Isara) on my desk, the quality is really impressive. I also have some Phantasy Star figures, which it sounds like Lindsay would recognize.

As to Yakuza 3 - that story was actually taken a bit out of context, though most of the sites have corrected it now. Officially, SEGA has not confirmed one way or the other if the title will come to the states. (Same for Valkyria Chronicles PSP, to answer that question.)

It is true, however, that bringing a game to the west, even without voice acting, is far more expensive than just paying for subtitles. That said, I think that the Yakuza fanbase is in many ways similar to Valkyria; with enough support and word of mouth driving buzz and sales, a message can be sent upward to the people who ultimately make decisions about which games make the jump across the Pacific. Valkyria did not succeed solely because we put out DLC, or because of a limited time price drop - they all played parts, but it was the thousands upon thousands of fans spreading the word and telling their friends that I feel was ultimately the biggest factor.

I can attest to that, there are 10+ members (More than ten but less than twenty, I forget the exact number) of my circle of friends and close family members that have nice shiny copies of Valkyria Chronicles since I kept on telling them to buy it.

I am sure there are many other people on this thread that have similar accounts.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
RubyEclipse said:
Which town in Valkyria Chronicles is named after a country in Skies of Arcadia? Hint: When all else fails, check the writing on the wall...

Good luck!
i already have hard ex, but the answer is valua isn't it?

if thats true, give it to the first person to quote this. >_>

AleeN634

Pandaman said:

Just looked it up and it's
Valua.
But as a Junior (and a guy who never posted before) I don't think I'm eligible.

Pandaman said:

AleeN634 said:
Just looked it up and it's
Valua.
But as a Junior (and a guy who never posted before) I don't think I'm eligible.

if he's not eligible, I'll take it! I'd rather have one of the other 2 DLCs, if possible

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Gryphter said:
if he's not eligible, I'll take it! I'd rather have one of the other 2 DLCs, if possible
hard EX is IMO, the best of the dlc's. i get the most playtime out of it.

RubyEclipse said:

Good luck!

I'm guessing Vasel.

RubyEclipse said:
it was the thousands upon thousands of fans spreading the word and telling their friends that I feel was ultimately the biggest factor.

Definitely, as Hcoregamer said. I convinced several of my coworkers, ex-coworkers, and even just my PSN friends to get a copy of the game. It totally deserved the love and attention, and is a true example of a "what gamers want" voice.

Got this through the post today, should have my first PS3 on Monday. Really looking forward to playing it, gameplay looks really interesting.

VegaShinra

I'm on my third playthrough. The DLC is great and the whole experience has been awesome. I want to try to get some the figurines, but the cost is a bit too much for me. I'll hope for a contest and try to win. :lol

VegaShinra said:
I want to try to get some the figurines, but the cost is a bit too much for me. I'll hope for a contest and try to win. :lol

I'm so used to buying figures like these that it's more like a drop in the bucket for me. But then again, that bucket is getting full! I gotta sell some of my old figures!

Lain

VegaShinra said:
I want to try to get some the figurines, but the cost is a bit too much for me. I'll hope for a contest and try to win. :lol

So true (about the costing a bit too much).
I bought the Yujin set myself and in the end, considering shipping as well, it is a bit too costly.
Still, I'm gonna buy the Selvaria ones if possible, and I'd love some awesome Alicia ones.

19tjxk.jpg

I only really wanted the Rosie figure out of the initial set because the quality looked the best on her (the Alicia one looked pretty rubbish), but I wouldn't mind finding Edy and Jane Turner from the second set for a price that isn't stupid as $25+ on Ebay when theyre not big enough or quality to justify that price.

Its a shame the merch angle in Japan is exclusively the "ANIME GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS" route instead of having a nice range of the tanks from the game though. Would love an Edleweiss and Heavy Imperial Tank!

duckroll

I was just reading the recent updates on the 7th Dragon blogs on the Japanese site, and you guys better watch out! Rieko Kodama watched the recent episodes of the Valkyria anime and....

When she found out they used Vyse as a cameo in the anime only to randomly kill him off quickly in the episode, she has suggested that in the next game she produces, she might put Hans in just to roast him! :lol

Woz

I got VC friday (new from Amazon), man this game is amazing.
I'm struggling in the chapter 7, but I think I've found the right strategy.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
duckroll said:
I was just reading the recent updates on the 7th Dragon blogs on the Japanese site, and you guys better watch out! Rieko Kodama watched the recent episodes of the Valkyria anime and....

When she found out they used Vyse as a cameo in the anime only to randomly kill him off quickly in the episode, she has suggested that in the next game she produces, she might put Hans in just to roast him! :lol

If that's true, that's fucking hilarious! XD

duckroll said:

day one on said game.

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:

:D

What game is she working on since she has been so silent for a while.

DXPetti

Banned
So GAF, after downloading the demo when VC first came out I have only just yesterday gotten around to playing it (part motivation part no time) and woah have I been missing out. I used to play Turn-Based Strat games back in the DOS, Win 3.1 days eons ago but there hasn't been any decent ones...till now.

Going to pick this up Thursday along with GH: Metallica and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Compound this with a anime based on the game and a sequel on the PSP; joygasm! :D

RubyEclipse said:

Good luck!

Emphasized for you all that thought it was Valua. It's not. It's Vasel.
that town with the retractable bridge

Can they AT LEAST make VC2 a PSN release so I can play it on my big TV? I would seriously buy all those PSP games if they were PS3 compatable. Why have those games in the store if I cant even play them on the console I bought it on?

Sorry but I REALLY HATE portable gaming. I have a PSP and DS and only used it a handful of times. The most portable gaming ill do is a game of Brick Breaker on my Blackberry.

Hi Ruby

Thanks for giving us a glimpse of hope for Yakuza 3. Wouldn't it be possible to release Yakuza 3 with subtitles on PSN for the West? This would at least reduce the distribution costs considerably and minimize the risks of a release in the west...but I guess the download file would be huge.

As other users have already mentioned, basing the chances of Yakuza 3 solely on the PS2 sales of the franchise wouldn't be fair. Bad or almost inexistent marketing, timing of the releases, huge PS2 catalog and therefore fierce competition were some of the factors which led to the lackluster sales. Quality-wise Yakuza 1 + 2 were pure gems. I'd bet a demo on PSN alone would do wonders for Yakuza 3 sales in the West.

But back to topic, I just ordered Valkyria Chronicles, I loved the demo but just didn't have enough time until now for the whole experience. This and the Yakuza franchise are the saviors of SEGA in my eyes.

Clipjoint

Just finished the game about 20 mins ago (I've avoided this thread up until now). Absolutely incredible experience, top 10 of the generation. The gameplay is genre redefining, fuck the haters. I haven't had this much fun with a SRPG since Final Fantasy Tactics. The story was great, very endearing. Jann was a riot. Great job all around.

Top Bottom