• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

ianp622

sazabirules said:
If I have a sniper in a tower can the engineer give them ammo up there or does the sniper have to be right beside the engineer on the ground?

Sniper has to be on the ground. I generally don't leave my snipers up in towers anyway, usually it's much safer to stay on the ground. The only advantage is seeing troop movement.

aechris

sazabirules said:
If I have a sniper in a tower can the engineer give them ammo up there or does the sniper have to be right beside the engineer on the ground?

I put the eng and the sniper at the base of the tower then climb her up, shoot, then climb back down before her turn is over. Reload every time and a safe resting place.

Hellion said:
Why is edy so popular?

Also I need to finish this game... :/

For me, it was love at first sight. I found her cute to look at opposed to the rest of the female cast of shocktroopers I was given. I wasn't really aware of her tsundere tenancies until later.

Her off-putting potentials weren't all THAT bad either.

Darkpen

Banned
Since when is Edy tsundere? I've never interpreted Edy as tsundere, unless it was something in the other Edy Detachment endings that I didn't pursue.

She always comes off as hilarious brunt, jealous, and... I don't think cowardly is the right word, but you know what I mean. Maybe its because I normally associate tsundere with the type of switcharound where they're scathing and brash, and then become all tenderly.

Eh, either way, outside of the DLC, I'm just not a fan.

Darkpen said:
Since when is Edy tsundere? I've never interpreted Edy as tsundere, unless it was something in the other Edy Detachment endings that I didn't pursue.

She always comes off as hilarious brunt, jealous, and... I don't think cowardly is the right word, but you know what I mean. Maybe its because I normally associate tsundere with the type of switcharound where they're scathing and brash, and then become all tenderly.

Eh, either way, outside of the DLC, I'm just not a fan.

That describes Edy pretty well.

In the DLC, even though she hates Rosie, she had a genuine concern for her safety, and nearly lost her cool because of it. She's a "Natural Leader" but had suddenly become a vulnerable panicky mess. Sounds tsun-like to me.

Amir0x

Banned
It's a really refreshing take on a genre I adore, i think that's why my overwhelming feeling of love.

Although it's gonna take some adapting. I got a C rank on the second mission, that shit won't stand. I am trying to dodge psycho tank behind cover, but nooo!

What the hell took you so long?

And to the fellow who asked about leveling; I always leveled my Engineers first, since it was cheap to do so. They were always about 3-5 levels ahead, especially towards the ending.

I then leveled Scouts and Lancers. Then Shocktroopers and Snipers.

A good part of the game, though, I just leveled whoever took the least amount of experience to do so.

Doytch

Amir0x said:
It's a really refreshing take on a genre I adore, i think that's why my overwhelming feeling of love.

Although it's gonna take some adapting. I got a C rank on the second mission, that shit won't stand. I am trying to dodge psycho tank behind cover, but nooo!

Just browsing this thread now, and I'm coming from the exact opposite point; I've never played a game like this, and the only JRPG I ever tried was FF4. And I'm loving it just as much as you.

The variety in the missions is one thing that's been sticking out for me. Spoilers up to ch 10, max:
After dying like three times on the Maximillian desert mission, I liked the stealth and regular mission follow-ups. Smart pacing, imo

Still working through it, think I'm on ch10/11. But so far it's my favourite PS3 game (jumped in with the Slim) along with Wipeout.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I haven't touched this game since it first came out but I'm glad to see so many people still enjoying it. It's literally the reason I bought my PS3. I'm hoping the sequel will give me motivation to get back into it and download the DLC. As much as I ADORE the game, it's a bit disappointing that the game really doesn't reward strategy as much as it does clever use of classes/orders. I wish the grading wasn't based on turns taken but rather casualties/enemies defeated. Still, if you ignore the pointless grading system, the game is a wonderful strat sim.

Clipjoint

Amir0x said:

Don't worry too much about your ranking on your first play through. You're rewarded for winning the battle in fewest turns, which takes away a lot of the fun. Use the early missions to develop a strategy that suits you, and eventually you'll start rocking the higher rankings.

Amir0x

Banned
worldrevolution said:
I haven't touched this game since it first came out but I'm glad to see so many people still enjoying it. It's literally the reason I bought my PS3. I'm hoping the sequel will give me motivation to get back into it and download the DLC. As much as I ADORE the game, it's a bit disappointing that the game really doesn't reward strategy as much as it does clever use of classes/orders. I wish the grading wasn't based on turns taken but rather casualties/enemies defeated. Still, if you ignore the pointless grading system, the game is a wonderful strat sim.

i beat the second mission in like 3 or 4 turns and still got a C ranking :(

how much faster can i beat that mission without behind bullet annihilated by the three or four guards to my left, and then the tank comes! Shenanigans!

Giolon

Amir0x said:

how much faster can i beat that mission without behind bullet annihilated by the three or four guards to my left, and then the tank comes! Shenanigans!

I think two turns reasonably on your first playthrough. Remember that you get to replay all the missions on New Game+ and it keeps track of your best record.

But seriously though...you're probably going to frustrate yourself if you're insisting on A-rankings on everything your first play through. I suggest not worrying about it. You can always make XP and money through skirmishes if you find that you're short.

patsu

Amir0x said:

Amir0x, don't worry about the scores. Just focus on the experience and lead Squad 7 to victory first. You'll be able to ace every single level later on. But -- to me -- the game is much more fun when I have difficulty achieving A ranks. The game kinda bounces you around the battlefield and throws sh*t at you to see how you react with your limited resources.

Don't spoil the game. You'll know ways to exploit the game soon enough.

Alts

The ranking system is something that bothered me. I much prefer a system like the Advance Wars games where Time, Units Killed, and Units Lost are all taken into account. The current system promotes a less interesting method of play.

ianp622

RoodyPooUS said:
I leveled Scouts first, then Shocktroopers and then Lancers.

Scouts get very overpowered by the end of the game.

They are actually a little underpowered in the Expert Skirmishes because of their low hit points and the fact that they die almost instantly from an enemy shocktrooper. You basically need some mortars, shocktroopers, and a sniper to break through tough defenses.

Darkpen

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yeah... about that. You really won't be able to get A ranks in the early missions until you've leveled up your classes a fair bit more, and as others have pointed out, there will always be newgame+. Just play it as enjoyably as possible, with the only reason to restart a battle being if an enemy "kills" one of your guys, as in they give you a little cutscene where they give a bit of a monologue and bid fairwell.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I'd recommend that you don't worry about rankings on your first playthrough. Just try to keep your dudes alive and win the round, because on your second playthrough you'll be able to get A ranks on most of the missions without even trying. Give Alicia a few boosts and she can run straight through everything in a couple moves.

Amir0x

Banned
Well ok I'll take your advice, although I think it's a little lame you can't get the best rank on early levels on your first time through w/out waiting until you're leveled up.

Not that it's gonna sully my enjoyment. 'Cause now that I know this, I don't feel like my strategic prowess is scarred :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
I just came in here to say 'Wow'. I hadn't played the game in a month or two, and I was stuck on Chapter 15, and I just got back to playing it, and the game is so awesome. IDK how I could not play it for that long of a time. And especially with the news of VC2 seeing a stateside release, I'm really going to go in on this game, and give it a full replay as it's soooo good.

Just came in the thread to Livejournal a bit.

Nyx

I found it for 19 euros and bought it, only did mission 1 so far as I got home late and the cut-scenes were long.

Definitely will be playing some more tonight, can't wait.

BeeDog

Nyx said:
I found it for 19 euros and bought it, only did mission 1 so far as I got home late and the cut-scenes were long.

Definitely will be playing some more tonight, can't wait.

Impostor!!1!

:p Damn, my copy of this game is collecting dust, guess I'll have to actually play it some time.

I'll chime in about the grading system as well.

It's retarded. It only rewards speed, which makes for some funny situations. In one map, there's a massive maze of buildings and enemy soldier with the flag guarded by a large number of enemies. If the game were properly structured, it would have taken me a while to defeat it with an A. I would have had to position my troops properly, use CP wisely, consider class mix and auxilary weaponry. I suspect it might have taken me 6-8 turns.

Since it only considered speed, I just took the Shamrock, rammed straight ahead, flammed the "base" to death, and then sent a scout in with Def+ and Awaken Potential and tada~ victory in 1-2 turns.

I hope they fix this for future iterations.

As for Amirox, just do what I did, and play while disregarding your rank. Use different strategies, kill everyone, or not, speed through it, or not, but just enjoy it.

Amir0x said:
Well ok I'll take your advice, although I think it's a little lame you can't get the best rank on early levels on your first time through w/out waiting until you're leveled up.

Not that it's gonna sully my enjoyment. 'Cause now that I know this, I don't feel like my strategic prowess is scarred :lol

Oh you totally can get the best rank right from the get-go. You just won't enjoy doing it. Echoing others advice, it's much more enjoyable to just play through it without rushing. We all agree that their ranking system is stupid.

You guys hear that, Sega?! FIX IT FOR VC2!!!

gokieks

Amir0x said:

Beyond the unit upgrades that occur at level 10, your level really doesn't have a huge influence on rank. It rewards speed and speed only, which means the most important thing is that you need to have a very good idea of where to go and what to expect. As far as actual combat goes, you're aiming for headshots, which means the level of your units really don't come into play as long as you're leveling at a steady rate and getting weapon upgrades. It's absolutely possible to get A rank on the early missions on your first playthrough, though you might have to do quite a bit of saving/reloading. I personally decided to go for A Ranks on first playthrough a few missions in, and I did enjoy it (I would play and beat the battle once to learn how it worked, then reload and change/refine my strategy based on what I've learned and beat it again). Your mileage may vary though.

As for grading system, yes, it could've been implemented with more criteria, and yes, just getting A Rank can be quite easy, especially once the Scouts reach Lv. 11+. But it's very possible to make it challenging - instead of just aiming for the A Rank, for example, aim for the A Rank while killing every single Ace/Leader/Tank. It's possible on, I believe, every single mission save one (
Recapture of Bruhl
), and adds to the fun, strategy, and challenge tremendously.

Amir0x said:
This game is AMAZING. Jesus Christ.

One of us...one of us... :D

Amir0x said:

Yeah, like others have said, don't worry about it. Just have fun for now.

Amir0x said:

Oh, you can, but you have to really stretch the field, especially with scouts. You'll figure it out later.

It's actually more fun to spread the tasks out and use more of your troops, IMO. Your rank suffers, but you shouldn't care about that at this point. Just learning how to utilize all the classes is more fun anyway. Worry about ranks when you are cashing in on the replay value of this game.

Clipjoint

I never once saved during a battle. It seemed cheap to me. Even when I realized I messed up, I tried readjusting my strategy mid-battle to see if I could salvage the fight. If not, I started from the beginning and took what I learned into account.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Hey everyone, cool news! I'm going to Tokyo next week and... wait -

Josh7289 said:
Ask questions to the Valkyria Chronicles development team!

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/09/18/were-going-to-tokyo-sega-tgs-09/

Beaten to my own blog post! Well, that's the message essentially, so cheers for posting it Josh. Like he said, I'm letting you guys submit questions for the VC devs at the SEGA Blog - chances like this are rare, so make the most of it!

Thaedolus

Just go this via Gamefly today, played the first couple missions. Pretty fun so far. Anyone know about how long I can expect to be playing? This game feels very high quality, I may just keep it from GF since I couldn't find it at a Wal-Mart.

RubyEclipse said:
Hey everyone, cool news! I'm going to Tokyo next week and... wait -

Beaten to my own blog post! Well, that's the message essentially, so cheers for posting it Josh. Like he said, I'm letting you guys submit questions for the VC devs at the SEGA Blog - chances like this are rare, so make the most of it!

You should add that you guys are looking into trophy patching the game, which has been noticed just recently :D

I will definitely get the DLC just to support your cause!

ianp622

Thaedolus said:
Just go this via Gamefly today, played the first couple missions. Pretty fun so far. Anyone know about how long I can expect to be playing? This game feels very high quality, I may just keep it from GF since I couldn't find it at a Wal-Mart.

20-30 hours to beat it, 50 or more if you play through the DLC and skirmishes a couple times (including expert).

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Ruby already took my question about the Artbook, so I have no personal requests. Thanks RubyEclipse <3

Of course, I am also happy seeing that someone already addressed another question, whether there will be a X360 port of the original game or will the franchise only be exclusive to Sony property?

It would be a good thing if they did release a 360 version. The more money from sales into the franchise, the better IMO. Even the most stalwart Sony fanboy couldn't be against that at this point if Sega thought it would be profitable.

I'll be buying VC2, but I'd be a lot more excited for a another home console version.

Hcoregamer00

gregor7777 said:
It would be a good thing if they did release a 360 version. The more money from sales into the franchise, the better IMO. Even the most stalwart Sony fanboy couldn't be against that at this point if Sega thought it would be profitable.

I'll be buying VC2, but I'd be a lot more excited for a another home console version.

I would prefer a 360 release also, just because the series needs more exposure to more people. Since lots of series originally thought to be exclusive are going cross-platform, it makes sense that one of the best PS3 exclusives should get a release on the 360.

KtSlime

gregor7777, Hcoregamer00, I'm not opposed to them putting it on the 360, frankly I think most 3rd parties should do it, however If MS pulls this pays for exclusivity shit like they have been doing with RPG series that I have been buying for the past 10 or so years I won't be happy. MS really turned my world upside down this generation. I'm pretty much exclusively an RPG player, so I thought going PlayStation was the safe bet at the beginning of this generation. Ugh, just say no to exclusives.

Hcoregamer00

ivedoneyourmom said:
gregor7777, Hcoregamer00, I'm not opposed to them putting it on the 360, frankly I think most 3rd parties should do it, however If MS pulls this pays for exclusivity shit like they have been doing with RPG series that I have been buying for the past 10 or so years I won't be happy. MS really turned my world upside down this generation. I'm pretty much exclusively an RPG player, so I thought going PlayStation was the safe bet at the beginning of this generation. Ugh, just say no to exclusives.

Don't worry, most of the major RPG's are being released cross-platform and many series that were once "exclusive" are being released on the other consoles. Ironically enough, with Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean going PS3, the console exclusives pretty much rest with the PS3. Valkyria Chronicles is still exclusive (for now, hopefully not any longer) and Final Fantasy Versus XIII is also exclusive (for now, who knows what will happen in the future).

Most, if not all future major RPG releases will be mutiplatform from the start. I welcome this change because exclusivity this generation, especially in the wake of ever increasing game budgets and smaller RPG markets. Exclusivity will be the death knell of the genre on consoles.

highluxury said:
You should add that you guys are looking into trophy patching the game, which has been noticed just recently :D

so trophies are a possibility now, or were you joking? i wouldn't mind another stimulus to replay the game.

Top Bottom