• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

dojokun

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
:(

At least kill something evil like Rats or Squirrels.
Then SEGA will purposely not announce it for the United States so more evil things can be killed. You gotta kill cute things to make people want you to stop. On that note, I'll also kill a kitten every week (cats are harder to lure in) until it is announced for the United States.
ianp622 said:
Marina's gonna put a bullet through your head so fast...
I will stay in areas where snipers would have to go through shrubbery to get a good shot at me. Then Marina will be distracted and miss.

I'm trying to work out my gaming schedule in my head, I have just a few days with free time before Scribblenauts comes out. Will I be able to make it through the Selvaria DLC on normal difficulty before Tues? How many hours would you say it is?

Giolon

Gryphter said:
I'm trying to work out my gaming schedule in my head, I have just a few days with free time before Scribblenauts comes out. Will I be able to make it through the Selvaria DLC on normal difficulty before Tues? How many hours would you say it is?

It took me a about 4-5 hours to get A ranks on all the missions. None of the missions are particularly complex or long, but the stats on your troops are absolutely abysmal (especially your snipers) and the stats on the Gallians are pretty high. Expect to reload frequently because they missed repeatedly or enemies kept dodging your attacks.

Giolon said:
It took me a about 4-5 hours to get A ranks on all the missions. None of the missions are particularly complex or long, but the stats on your troops are absolutely abysmal (especially your snipers) and the stats on the Gallians are pretty high. Expect to reload frequently because they missed repeatedly or enemies kept dodging your attacks.

what if you're not really concerned with A ranking it? I want to play it and enjoy, but my main goal is to get the story out of it

Giolon

Gryphter said:
what if you're not really concerned with A ranking it? I want to play it and enjoy, but my main goal is to get the story out of it

You need to get A rankings on each of the first 3 missions to unlock the 4th mission, which is the real draw of the DLC because
they let you play with Selvaria as a Valkyria
. You unlock Ruhm for use in the main campaign after simply beat any two missions. (The DLC has the structure such that if you beat Mission 1 in one fashion, you go to Mission 2a, but if you beat Mission 1 differently you go to 2b).

That said, I'm not entirely sure how much difference it'd make forgoing A-ranks because due to the weakness of your troops in these missions, if you don't kill off any Gallians capable of attacking them, they're likely to die in a single volley. And I believe all of the missions continuously stream in reinforcements until you take over capture points. The longer you take, the more of your troops that get killed, the more you have to summon your own reinforcements,the further you get behind compared to the enemy troop respawns, the longer it takes to beat the mission.

MelloBoy

Neo Member
Valkyria blog was updated

ss4902.jpg

Original artwork for Edy Nelson
Some things which were, imho, interesting...

First Edy DLC was developed by the Valkyria Chronicles localization team; basically was designed during off hours (late night, weekends, etc). Project was already under way without any greenlight from upper management....was based on character popularity. Old dev team members that were already on other projects were bribed back with meals to help with the DLC.

Second Edy DLC was conceived/developed when VC2 development was already under way. Was conceived partly due to the fact that VC2 was being developed for PSP and folks still wanted to do something for PS3....was done while burning the midnight oil, even moreso than with the first DLC it seems.

VC2 demo will also be playable at TGS

http://blog.valkyria.jp/

Wow, that's really interesting trivia. Who'd have thought that the DLC was originally not part of the "suits" agenda! And with that, you can tell that the developers really put their heart into it, and not limited by talks from above.

I quite like the softer look for Edy too. Very sweet. :)

Darkpen

Banned
Wow, that's some pretty awesome trivia. Really awesome to hear the explanation for why the first DLC collection was so character driven. I love the Japanese love for visual novel-esque character development.

MelloBoy

Neo Member
radiantdreamer said:
I quite like the softer look for Edy too. Very sweet. :)

Well...I like the original design primarily because I liked the design for Saber in Fate...looks more or less the same. I don't think I could have stomached someone looking like Saber and having Edy's personality, though.

Durante

MelloBoy said:
First Edy DLC was developed by the Valkyria Chronicles localization team; basically was designed during off hours (late night, weekends, etc). Project was already under way without any greenlight from upper management....was based on character popularity. Old dev team members that were already on other projects were bribed back with meals to help with the DLC.

Second Edy DLC was conceived/developed when VC2 development was already under way. Was conceived partly due to the fact that VC2 was being developed for PSP and folks still wanted to do something for PS3....was done while burning the midnight oil, even moreso than with the first DLC it seems.
Heroes!

squall211

Darkpen said:
*checks imdb*

....wow :lol :lol :lol

He's also General Damon D:

Dave Wittenberg, the guy who voices Welkin, is also the english voice actor for Kefka in FF Dissidia :lol :lol

He also voices Allen in Xenosaga, Cliff in Star Ocean: TTEOT and Teddy in Persona 4.

MelloBoy said:
Valkyria blog was updated

http://valkyria.sega.jp/blog/ss4902.jpg

Original artwork for Edy Nelson
Some things which were, imho, interesting...

VC2 demo will also be playable at TGS

http://blog.valkyria.jp/

good to hear the team love this game they just do it with out asking lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
MelloBoy said:
Well...I like the original design primarily because I liked the design for Saber in Fate...looks more or less the same. I don't think I could have stomached someone looking like Saber and having Edy's personality, though.

That would have been just strange to say the least :lol

Victrix

*beard*
Courtesey of the slim, I finally own a PS3, and I managed to track down a copy of this, sooo, I'll be streaming my first play of this at http://www.justin.tv/evilgamer later today if anyone wants to check it out. Or mock me as I die horribly, whichever.

Quick query, is there anything I need a faq for in terms of basic game mechanics? I don't know how hardcore the rpg part of this srpg is. I don't care about super secret missions/characters/items, I'll happily miss that stuff the first time around, but branching skilltrees/items, that sort of thing is usually handy.

I'll make a post when I start it, not sure exactly when I'm starting.

Victrix said:
Courtesey of the slim, I finally own a PS3, and I managed to track down a copy of this, sooo, I'll be streaming my first play of this at http://www.justin.tv/evilgamer later today if anyone wants to check it out. Or mock me as I die horribly, whichever.

Quick query, is there anything I need a faq for in terms of basic game mechanics? I don't know how hardcore the rpg part of this srpg is. I don't care about super secret missions/characters/items, I'll happily miss that stuff the first time around, but branching skilltrees/items, that sort of thing is usually handy.

I'll make a post when I start it, not sure exactly when I'm starting.

No. It's fairly straightforward.

Skill trees, though, hmmm

Upgrade Accuracy on Scouts, Engineers, and Snipers

Clip upgrades for Shocktroopers

Damage for Lancers

Prioritize Order upgrades for Welkin and Armor upgrades for everything.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
WAT no. Suzy looks like a timid mouse. This version at least looks sorta like Saber.

And yeah, Tsundere Saber DO NOT WANT.

Yeah, aside from the hairstyle it screams of Saber from FSN.

Giolon

FlightOfHeaven said:
Upgrade Accuracy on Scouts, Engineers, and Snipers
I gotta slightly argue with that. IMO, Accuracy is the best path you can take for Scouts/Engineers only until the 7 shot rifle opens up in the Damage path. By the time that happens, your troops' natural accuracy should be pretty good anyway. Range will be slightly less, but all the Imps with their crappy low accuracy, low range weapons. :)

Victrix, I look forward to seeing your broadcast! Just be prepared though, this game has sometimes an hour's worth of cutscenes and squad management/research to do between missions.

Giolon said:
I gotta slightly argue with that. IMO, Accuracy is the best path you can take for Scouts/Engineers only until the 7 shot rifle opens up in the Damage path. By the time that happens, your troops' natural accuracy should be pretty good anyway. Range will be slightly less, but all the Imps with their crappy low accuracy, low range weapons. :)

I disagree. Increased accuracy means a smaller reticule, and ultimately, you don't have to walk up as close to get a shot in - it's like unspoken bonus range. While Imps have a suckier range to begin with, if they don't die in that turn, they can still come up to you and shoot you the next turn.

Just beat it, Vyse is just too uber, Awaken Potential + Def + Penetration + Super Damage + Double Attack to the face of the final boss = 1 shot kill.

ianp622

I just finished all of the expert skirmishes today. Not all A's, but I'm pretty happy with how I did. I probably won't play again until the next DLC.

KongRudi

Banned
Victrix said:
It's still technically today :p

Going live http://www.justin.tv/evilgamer

Tried entering, but were Demon Soul gameplay, and I didn't want to spoil that yet. :)

I don't think Valkyrie Chronicles is a good game to stream, if you've never played it before. The cutscenes in that game is longer than MGS4 cutscenes, I'll guess the average cutscene-length between each mission/chapter usually clock in between 20-60 minutes, and they're too good to be skipped. Especially the first time around. :-/

Giolon

dojokun said:
They are essentially free now. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Valkyria-Chronicles/40723298722 has download codes posted:
Um, those are one time use codes. The first person who inputs them gets the DLC for free, and believe me, they were used within minutes of their original posting. The DLC is by no means free for all.
gregor7777 said:
So, from a purely gameplay standpoint which are the DLC to get?
Behind Her Blue Flame (Selvaria's DLC) contains 4 missions and lets you play with Selvaria as a Valkyria in 1 of them. Enter the Edy Detachment (Edy's DLC 1) contains 1 mission with four endings. Hard Mode EX adds EX Hard Mode difficulty to all 10 skirmishes in the game in which the Edelweiss is not available for use and pretty much every goal is to get Welkin to the end zone, and at first glance most missions look impossible.

Victrix

*beard*
KongRudi said:
I don't think Valkyrie Chronicles is a good game to stream, if you've never played it before. The cutscenes in that game is longer than MGS4 cutscenes, I'll guess the average cutscene-length between each mission/chapter usually clock in between 20-60 minutes, and they're too good to be skipped. Especially the first time around. :-/

Yeah, I played for awhile, I don't think I'll be streaming it more, it's not viewer friendly.

Didn't get too far - got to the cross the river mission and got shot the tank shot in the butt, instant game over.

It's pretty slow paced, beautiful graphics, great music, and I'm meh on the story so far. I'll see how it develops.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
If I have a sniper in a tower can the engineer give them ammo up there or does the sniper have to be right beside the engineer on the ground?

Top Bottom