• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I beat a chapter I had been stuck on for 9 months last night ^___^

I'm mowing through them now :lol

Darkpen

Banned
Durante said:
We discussed this once or twice before in this thread. I agree that by game standards they deal with the theme very well, and if you read some of the side-character stories and consider the big reveal in the last chapter it's clear that they did it more thoroughly than just to make Isara and Rosie's interactions more interesting or improve the background for some missions.
hey durante, if it isn't too much, I'd like to request front, back, and face shots of Marina, Isara, Faldio, Ellet (I think she's in the glossary?), Homer, Coby, Alicia, Jann, Hector, Hannes, Juno, Nils, Theold, Ted, Kreis, Leon, Lynn, Freesia, Audrey, Edy, Aisha, Jane, Musaad, Melville, Ted, Dallas, Oscar, Cezary, Selvaria, and Jaeger.

D:

I need them for quick reference, and its a pain leaving my PS3 on for extended periods of time :S

NeoZylom

Doytch said:
It's worth it but you should be able to find it cheaper...
Well, I'm in Canada and I want it new. So yeah ... I looked for it and I can't find it except on Amazon. if any Canadian know where to find it, just tell me.

Okay just got the game and I have a few really annoying issues...hopefully they're easily addressed.

1) The load times. What the hell? Load times even to go back to the main menu? Load times for mini-cut-scenes? Load times for each map? Come on...this is GCN Finding Nemo kind of shit. Would installing the game improve these ridiculous load times at all?

2) Is there any way to easily skip past all of the story nonsense? I'm on my first playthrough and just want to play the game. I'll soak in the story later.

3) Are we unable to set R1 aim mode to control with the right joystick rather than left? It's not a major problem but it's aggravating enough.

4) I had read there was a way to upgrade characters. I assume I'm not far enough yet? I'm on Chapter 3, I believe.

Thanks. So far the actual gameplay is very fun. It's just there's so much waiting and downtime in-between...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The Blue Jihad said:
Okay just got the game and I have a few really annoying issues...hopefully they're easily addressed.

1) The load times. What the hell? Load times even to go back to the main menu? Load times for mini-cut-scenes? Load times for each map? Come on...this is GCN Finding Nemo kind of shit. Would installing the game improve these ridiculous load times at all?
yes, install it.

2) Is there any way to easily skip past all of the story nonsense? I'm on my first playthrough and just want to play the game. I'll soak in the story later.
:(

3) Are we unable to set R1 aim mode to control with the right joystick rather than left? It's not a major problem but it's aggravating enough.
i dont think you can.

4) I had read there was a way to upgrade characters. I assume I'm not far enough yet? I'm on Chapter 3, I believe.
you're not far enough, you'll get those options once you're drafted into the militia.

The Blue Jihad said:

bitch, bitch, moan moan.

Thanks. So far the actual gameplay is very fun.

Sweet! I'm glad you enjoy it! :D

Yeah, it takes time, but you can upgrade classes. Just keep leveling them up.

Giolon

Darkpen said:
x2

You're missing out, bro. If you've been skipping, or trying to, I suggest you start again from the beginning after installing, and enjoy the story along with the gameplay.

X3

There's no point to the game without the story...hence why what I've seen of VC2 worries me so much...

Darkpen said:
x2

You're missing out, bro. If you've been skipping, or trying to, I suggest you start again from the beginning after installing, and enjoy the story along with the gameplay.

well, it's his experience. :\

I enjoyed the story, but as many people have said, it's not really that deep or emotionally gripping. There definitely are many other games with better storytelling.

That being said, I did wish there was more. I really do hope VC2 will be amazing. It's a day 1 purchase for me no matter what anyone else says.

Darkpen said:
x2

Eh, I started my SRPG affections with Shining Force 1 on the Genesis. Played that SRPG for the gameplay. Played FFT for the gameplay. Advance Wars for the gameplay. And so on into infinity when it comes to SRPG. :)

Well, the gameplay doesn't disappoint. But I really liked the story bits once it picked up... until it got kinda crazy, at which point I might've liked a skip button.

Anyway. Played some hard skirmishes the other day.

...HOLY CRAP! :lol

This game's going to keep me busy for a while.

Darkpen

Banned
The Blue Jihad said:
Eh, I started my SRPG affections with Shining Force 1 on the Genesis. Played that SRPG for the gameplay. Played FFT for the gameplay. Advance Wars for the gameplay. And so on into infinity when it comes to SRPG. :)
:/

I love SRPG gameplay as much as the next guy, but you REALLY are missing out, especially in VC where you really start to grow attached to your units and their personalities.

ianp622

Elfforkusu said:
Well, the gameplay doesn't disappoint. But I really liked the story bits once it picked up... until it got kinda crazy, at which point I might've liked a skip button.

Anyway. Played some hard skirmishes the other day.

...HOLY CRAP! :lol

This game's going to keep me busy for a while.

Try Expert when you get all of your classes up to their level caps.

HouseofGlass

Neo Member
Darkpen said:
:/

I love SRPG gameplay as much as the next guy, but you REALLY are missing out, especially in VC where you really start to grow attached to your units and their personalities.

I actually thought the story was atrociously bad and I spent most of it groaning but I still really love VC so yeah, different strokes I guess. The gameplay is more than good enough to carry the game for me.

Durante

Darkpen said:
hey durante, if it isn't too much, I'd like to request front, back, and face shots of Marina, Isara, Faldio, Ellet (I think she's in the glossary?), Homer, Coby, Alicia, Jann, Hector, Hannes, Juno, Nils, Theold, Ted, Kreis, Leon, Lynn, Freesia, Audrey, Edy, Aisha, Jane, Musaad, Melville, Ted, Dallas, Oscar, Cezary, Selvaria, and Jaeger.

D:
Whoa! I can't promise anything but probably I'll do at least some of them (those that I like :p).

@HouseofGlass:
If you think VC's story is "atrociously bad" then I wonder what words you use for other games' stories! I don't think they have been invented yet. Personally, while not quite a PST or even a SMT:DDS, I thought VC's story was good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well... the anime just kind of ended.

It's funny, because if you combine both the anime and game endings, you'd actually get something that serves as a half-way satisfying denouement. Although, the game definitely had the better climax.

Darkpen

Banned
I haven't watched the anime past the episode where Welkin
finally breaks down and cries. I wanted to see that in the game so much, but instead a month passed instead >_>.

Really need to watch them again.

Durante said:
Whoa! I can't promise anything but probably I'll do at least some of them (those that I like :p).

@HouseofGlass:
If you think VC's story is "atrociously bad" then I wonder what words you use for other games' stories! I don't think they have been invented yet. Personally, while not quite a PST or even a SMT:DDS, I thought VC's story was good.
Pleeaasse do all of them? D:

I'd appreciate it if you could get them in a zip or something for compactness, too.

For me Valkyria Chronicles is one of the best games this generation.Now if Sega would add a Trophy patch to it it would be perfect.

It really redefines the SRPG genre.And all with beautiful graphics ,art style ,music ......its amazing.

I will buy VC2 for the PSP (I think the game style fits very well for a handheld )but I hope the game returns soon for the PS3.

Honestly, I don't understand the whole purpose of trophies. It's meta-game that really doesn't add anything to the experience. Why are people so into goddamn trophies?!

Durante

radiantdreamer said:
Honestly, I don't understand the whole purpose of trophies. It's meta-game that really doesn't add anything to the experience. Why are people so into goddamn trophies?!
Hey, trophies are nice. Not because you can show them off or because they add to your level/gamerscore/whatever, but as a kind of external record of when you played which game and what you accomplished in it, and to compare your progress with others.

However, I think the whole "no trophies = no buy" mindset is ridiculous. They are a nice extra but nothing more.

Hellion

Shadow780 said:
Thank gawd the anime has ended, I've been dragging myself to finish it since I like the game so much.

What a terrible adaptation.

Great now start reading the yaoi manga adaptation...

P.S VC2 better have chapter restart. Loading in and out is a drag...

e2046.com has begun taking preorders for one of the Selveria figures.
229d1d6ab4fe7cb6a063e858df06735c_4.jpg

http://www.e2046.com/product.php?products_id=10569

$180 bucks! Woah!!

Giolon

radiantdreamer said:
e2046.com has begun taking preorders for one of the Selveria figures.
229d1d6ab4fe7cb6a063e858df06735c_4.jpg

http://www.e2046.com/product.php?products_id=10569

$180 bucks! Woah!!

Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES! Finally! I've been waiting for this day! Now to let it sit for 24-48 hours to see if any other shops pick it up for pre-order with a better price.

I'm getting this one no two bones about it. I've been waiting ever since the day I first saw it. What kind of sucks though (IMO) is they took her already huge boobs, and made them huger.

Now to see how Alter's figure turns out.

Edit: HobbySearch has got it too:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10099755

gokieks

An Alicia figure of that quality would have my wallet shivering in fear, but not going to spend $180 on a Selvaria figure, as nice as it looks.

Alex

I really liked the wide variety of characters from so many different backgrounds and age groups in Valkyria 1, shame we're going to fucking highschool in Valkyria 2.

Giolon said:
Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES! Finally! I've been waiting for this day! Now to let it sit for 24-48 hours to see if any other shops pick it up for pre-order with a better price.

I'm getting this one no two bones about it. I've been waiting ever since the day I first saw it. What kind of sucks though (IMO) is they took her already huge boobs, and made them huger.

Now to see how Alter's figure turns out.

Edit: HobbySearch has got it too:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10099755

Sweet, yeah just got that news this morning. $170 still, but since HS only offers EMS shipping, it's hella expensive. :(

Never heard of FrenchDoll, so definitely gonna wait for the Alter version.

Giolon

gokieks said:
An Alicia figure of that quality would have my wallet shivering in fear
I'd kill for an accompanying Alicia figure to go with this Selvaria one.

radiantdreamer said:
Sweet, yeah just got that news this morning. $170 still, but since HS only offers EMS shipping, it's hella expensive. :(

Never heard of FrenchDoll, so definitely gonna wait for the Alter version.

FrenchDoll is Enterbrain/EbCrafts line of figures. They did an Ivy (SC3) figure a while ago and more recently had figures from Fate/Stay Night and MeltyBlood.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Damn, that is a lot of money.

If it was $60, I would buy it. For three times the price am already half way to buying a 2nd PS3 or PSP.

To put it in context, it is $20 cheaper than the NINTENDO WII, what the hell?

It's a 1/6 scale figure so it's pretty big. That alone raises the price of any figure above the $60 mark (usually only 1/8 scale figures can be that cheap in my experience). Then you've got to factor in that it's a girl with big tits, they always add another premium for that. Finally, I think she's a pretty popular character. She may not be Haruhi, but there's quite a bit of cool fan art work of her out there, so again a higher price.

Still, $180 is a crapton of money. However, I've been planning for this figure's release since I first heard about it back in ~June. The approximate price point of $200-$250 has been floating around since then, so now that it's $180 I feel like I'm getting a bargain! XD

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Well, I still find it strange that SEGA didn't make any Valkyria Figures themselves, because they made a set of figures for Melty Blood that was AWESOME, of pretty good quality, and it costs me $25 for the figures.

Owned this day 1, sold it complete frustration after episode 7 or something a few weeks later...

I've visited this thread on and off and it convinced me to buy it again, SO I DID.

Well done, GAF. Well done.

Darkpen

Banned
TheMissingLink said:
Owned this day 1, sold it complete frustration after episode 7 or something a few weeks later...

I've visited this thread on and off and it convinced me to buy it again, SO I DID.

Well done, GAF. Well done.
:lol

Lionheart

Well, after enjoying the demo last year or so, I've now finally found the game at € 29,99 (€ 24.99 after coupon) at a local online store here and ordered it, should get it today. :D

For a while now, I thought this game was never going to drop below € 50 or so here and it was getting pretty rare in stores too, but I'm happy I've found it at a nice price after all!

After recent comments from Sega about trophies again, I may wait a little before I'll put a lot of time into this game, but I'm looking forward to it regardless.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Lionheart said:
Well, after enjoying the demo last year or so, I've now finally found the game at € 29,99 (€ 24.99 after coupon) at a local online store here and ordered it, should get it today. :D

For a while now, I thought this game was never going to drop below € 50 or so here and it was getting pretty rare in stores too, but I'm happy I've found it at a nice price after all!

After recent comments from Sega about trophies again, I may wait a little before I'll put a lot of time into this game, but I'm looking forward to it regardless.

Me too. I have the game but Ive barely played it because of possible trophies in the forseeable future.

Giolon said:
It's a 1/6 scale figure so it's pretty big. That alone raises the price of any figure above the $60 mark (usually only 1/8 scale figures can be that cheap in my experience). Then you've got to factor in that it's a girl with big tits, they always add another premium for that. Finally, I think she's a pretty popular character. She may not be Haruhi, but there's quite a bit of cool fan art work of her out there, so again a higher price.

Still, $180 is a crapton of money. However, I've been planning for this figure's release since I first heard about it back in ~June. The approximate price point of $200-$250 has been floating around since then, so now that it's $180 I feel like I'm getting a bargain! XD

Look! I got this prepainted resin statue (though it's recast) for like, $130 after shipping!

2ut2agl.jpg

er... moar pix here http://radiantdreamer.wordpress.com/2009/08/26/raquel-gothic-with-pixie-dust/

Honestly, I can't justify paying $180 for a PVC figure of that caliber. If it was some sorta crazy Ah! My Goddess figure with lots of flowing cloth and all that everywhere, then sure, maybe.

The closest figure I can think of right now that matches the level of detail that Selveria has is the Alter version, Saber Lily, and Gwendolyn from Odin Sphere:

Odin_Sphere__Valkyri_Gwendolyn_by_blackmage9.jpg

3217257623_4ab6286e93.jpg

And these figures are like what, $80 each?

Giolon

I've got that same Gwendolyn figure (which is 1/8 scale), and the lovely E2046 resin statue of Karin (semi-NSFW) on the way which cost only about $120, plus several other lovely figures ranging from $10-$80 (I should post a gallery like yours, my favorite is Nida). Your Raqel statue is nice too, but it's also only 1/7 scale. The larger the scale the bigger the price. Look at the 1/4 scale KOS-MOS from E2046: it's $280!

All I was saying is there's a trend I've noticed in pricing, and this Selvaria figure seems to fit most of them (the only one she doesn't fit is having cast-off clothing). It's going to be the most expensive figure I've ever bought by at least 1/3. Do I wish it were cheaper? Of course. But from stuff I've seen, the price is not way off. The price is on the high end of the range for the 1/6 scale, but it's not an outlier by any means.

And yes, I'll probably be getting the Alter figure too. They did such a spectacular job on Gwendolyn that I'm looking forward to how their Selvaria looks once painted.

I know this is completely derailed now, but anything to keep this topic up there. :)

I still stand by that Selvaria being too expensive. Sure, it's 1:6 scale, but I've also got an Ayane 1:6 scale (the Ninja Gaiden one) that's just as detailed for only half that price.

Also

1:6 scale Asuka Langley on Motorcycle, prepainted resin, $300. I find better value in that.

3508459472_fc0c988eae.jpg

moar here. :) http://radiantdreamer.wordpress.com/2009/05/06/asuka-langley-on-motorcycle/
You truly do have to click and see the beauty of this figure omg.

Cool to see you have a Gwendolyn too! I still have to do a photoshoot of her sometime... she's been packed away in storage because I am running out of space for figures. ^_^;

gokieks

radiantdreamer said:
The closest figure I can think of right now that matches the level of detail that Selveria has is the Alter version, Saber Lily, and Gwendolyn from Odin Sphere:

http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs42/f/2009/082/5/5/Odin_Sphere__Valkyri_Gwendolyn_by_blackmage9.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/3217257623_4ab6286e93.jpg

And these figures are like what, $80 each?

That Saber Lily is the GSC version (aka the better one), 1/7 scale, and costs about $100. A 1/6 scale costing $180 isn't a steal by any stretch, but it's not outrageously expensive compared to other high end figures either.

And hey, nobody's forcing anyone to buy them - I'm pretty sure they'll sell through their entire production on it without problems, especially considering production runs on these are designed to be limited.

yeah that's true.

I really can't wait to see the Alter version of Selvaria.

And dammnit, where's my Saber Lily!!?

Oh hey guys, I'm thinking about selling some of my anime figures here on the buy/sell/trade thread. Would anyone in this thread be interested in that sort of thing? I'll link it to the BST thread if there is.

Lain said:
I have that Gwendolyn figure too, and everytime I see it, I remember I didn't buy the Velvet and Mercedes ones.
Also Saber figures remind me that I didn't get this one http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods_detail.html?KEY=NEOGDS-9053. (basically I hate you guys)

I hope the Alter Selvaria will be cheaper, because 180$ is way too much for a figure for me.
Also, where are some nice ones for Alicia?!

There's a new Mercedes one coming out by Alter. It looks mega sweet. Definitely on my preorder list.

Skipped out on Velvet because it's done by (ugh) Yamato.

Chris R

rhfb said:
And just how low is the resolution in game? Text looked muddled as hell on my 1080p monitor (and from the XMB resolution I could tell the game was at 720p or lower).
Well I think I fixed the issue with the game looking like shit :lol In my video setup I only had 480p and 1080p enabled, but I guess the PS3 didn't upscale the game to 1080p or something as the game was being displayed in 480p on my monitor. I went and enabled 720p and 1080i and the game looks a ton better ( I can read text now!!! )

Just finished with Chapter 1, going to spend a few more hours tonight playing :lol

Virro

Just a quick question from someone who recently got the game and is loving it so far...

I'm finding the combat to be a bit 1-dimensional (Chapter 7) where it feels like most fights are picking people off in order to allow my tank to advance. Then sticking those same people behind the tank or in other places of cover and repeat until each objective is met.

Does the combat become a bit more varied as the game continues? I'm loving it so far, the story-telling, the graphical style, but this has to be my biggest problem with the game at the moment.

jsrv

Hcoregamer00 said:
Goddamn, those are some good statues.

It would be nice if we got Valkyria stuff of that caliber.

Alter is releasing their own Selvaria (smaller scale), and they're known for their track record for good quality control. Maybe that will come out better?

Virro said:
Just a quick question from someone who recently got the game and is loving it so far...

I'm finding the combat to be a bit 1-dimensional (Chapter 7) where it feels like most fights are picking people off in order to allow my tank to advance. Then sticking those same people behind the tank or in other places of cover and repeat until each objective is met.

Does the combat become a bit more varied as the game continues? I'm loving it so far, the story-telling, the graphical style, but this has to be my biggest problem with the game at the moment.

heh you're doing it wrong! :D

There are many different ways to beat a level. Try different strategies.

Top Bottom