• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Panda

Other than a plethora of requests to add trophies, I haven't heard anything. It's a shame because trophies seem so logical in this game, with all the medals/ranking and all.

Giolon

Some new figure prototypes appeared on the Japanese blog of Alicia, Isara, and the ditzy looking medic (PANTY SHOT!?) Cosette from VC2:

ss5003.jpg
ss5004.jpg
ss5005.jpg

While I'd prefer that they were styled more after the game's proportions instead of the anime (Alicia's face is much less round in the game), these look a lot nice than the previous Alicia figure that came out.

Paracelsus

gregor7777 said:
It would be a good thing if they did release a 360 version. The more money from sales into the franchise, the better IMO. Even the most stalwart Sony fanboy couldn't be against that at this point if Sega thought it would be profitable.

In fact, and that's why the porting is never going to happen.

On the other hand, if what it takes for VC3 to be on homeconsoles is being multiplatform, then bring it.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Ruby already took my question about the Artbook, so I have no personal requests. Thanks RubyEclipse <3

Really? Where? What was the answer?

Giolon said:
Some new figure prototypes appeared on the Japanese blog of Alicia, Isara, and the ditzy looking medic (PANTY SHOT!?) Cosette from VC2:

ss5003.jpg
ss5004.jpg
ss5005.jpg

While I'd prefer that they were styled more after the game's proportions instead of the anime (Alicia's face is much less round in the game), these look a lot nice than the previous Alicia figure that came out.

Oh no! They're "Kotobukiya-style" standing-only figures! I would have loved to see something more dynamic, such as Sakura Taisen's Gemini Sunrise figure by Max Factory.

MelloBoy

Neo Member
Darkpen said:
Since when is Edy tsundere? I've never interpreted Edy as tsundere, unless it was something in the other Edy Detachment endings that I didn't pursue.

JPN VC Blog...Edy's the "spokesperson" along w/ Homer...her personality's hashed out pretty well on there.

Thaedolus

ianp622 said:
20-30 hours to beat it, 50 or more if you play through the DLC and skirmishes a couple times (including expert).

Sweet. I guess I'll go ahead and keep it, replay value seems to be there and I'm really enjoying it thus far

Thaedolus said:
Sweet. I guess I'll go ahead and keep it, replay value seems to be there and I'm really enjoying it thus far

I think we've found the formula to minimize trade-ins and retail profiteering off of doing nothing!

Finally picking this up today. Better late than never, besides I've been looking for a game to cover the time between now and when Alpha Protocol and MW2 come out. VC looks like it should fit the bill nicely.

Jinaar

Would just like to add my contempt of
Chapter 7's arse raping that takes place after taking out the 2nd engine. I was not prepared to see my whole army get wiped out in a few moves, lastly to have some the Lancer dick shoot my exposed engine on the Eldelweiss.

Up to that point I had to deal with my Lancers and tank fail miserably to shoot the machine gun turrets on the giant tank. I swear in the beginning of the game like this all my guys are cross eyed.

Still enjoying the game immensely. Just was not prepared for that to take place. Not at all.

KtSlime

Manos: The Hans of Fate, If at all possible, buy a new not used copy, we want as much money going into their hands as possible. Thanks! :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Jinaar said:
Would just like to add my contempt of
Chapter 8's arse raping that takes place after taking out the 2nd engine. I was not prepared to see my whole army get wiped out in a few moves, lastly to have some the Lancer dick shoot my exposed engine on the Eldelweiss.

Up to that point I had to deal with my Lancers and tank fail miserably to shoot the machine gun turrets on the giant tank. I swear in the beginning of the game like this all my guys are cross eyed.

Still enjoying the game immensely. Just was not prepared for that to take place. Not at all.
i was really lucky that chapter,
an enemy lancer actually finished off the supertank for me after selvaria killed my lancers off.

Jinaar

What are the odds eh :) will give it the old college try again tonight. I still have enough vodka at home to get thru it. I hope.

ivedoneyourmom said:
Manos: The Hans of Fate, If at all possible, buy a new not used copy, we want as much money going into their hands as possible. Thanks! :D

Eww, I tried, but there was only a used one left, plus it was a mint one and I saved about 5 bucks on it. Otherwise I would have. However, I plan on grabbing DLC later.

Hell, if anyone wants to trade 14 bucks of GS credit for 11 bucks of PSN credit I'm all for it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jinaar said:
What are the odds eh :) will give it the old college try again tonight. I still have enough vodka at home to get thru it. I hope.

That was the only really frustrating part for me. Just be sure to save after every turn, that helped me alot, also using Welkin's tank as cover when Selvaria comes out is very helpful for keeping your dudes alive, if you get right in front of her when she stops, you can pretty much take her out of the match. Also, keep an engineer close with your Lancers around the tank so you can blast it as much as possible without running out of ammo. It took me awhile to do it, but once I got a good system going it wasn't that hard.

Fix the ranking system, omg

Yeah, I just ignore the ranking. Beating a mission in a few turns isn't satisfying or fun for me. My personal "A rank" is clearing all enemies off the map and winning without losing any dudes or letting them re-take the capture points.

It only awards speed?

I could have everyone die horribly, but if I get that flag in one turn, oh boy!

It's boring.

Yeah, I just ignore the ranking. Beating a mission in a few turns isn't satisfying or fun for me. My personal "A rank" is clearing all enemies off the map and winning without losing any dudes or letting them re-take the capture points.

I did similar things on my first playthrough.

Koren

dojokun said:
What's wrong with it?
I agree it's mostly broken, since it's only a matter of speed, and scouts like Alicia can finish nearly all maps in a single turn.

I would have liked a Advance Wars-like ranking, e.g. 1/3 for speed, 1/3 for offense (enemies taken down), 1/3 for defense (allies down). It would be far more rewarding, even if just like that, it would probably still be broken (like single-turn the map while using snipers to increase offense)

A good ranking system is not really easy to build...

As for the trophies, I still don't understand why I should bother. There's already the medal system, and trophies would be mostly the same... Is it just the "have you seen my platinum" effect for PSN ?

Snuggler said:

Yeah, that is how I've been playing it. I consider that something of more worth (ie having a successful delaying action and not have a single loss vs a speed frap fest).

Durante

I finally had time to play VC again and started on the DLC. The game is even more awesome than I remembered (if such a thing is possible).

Since I now have a HD capture card I took a large number of screenshots, a few of which I've posted below (slight spoilers for the Edy DLC, but really nothing big). I finished the Edy mission, looking forward to the Selvaria one next.

241pi51.jpg

nznkhz.jpg

24orpsl.jpg

2lvz8fa.jpg

16k5k6c.jpg

2dkwsvl.jpg

2m31wf6.jpg

s2b2pz.jpg

(I guess you need to do it in 4 turns for an A?)

Doytch

Holy crap that's so much cleaner on my monitor than my crappy DLP. The aliasing isn't nearly as distracting in stills, also. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Those figures look nice, the one for Alicia already looks leagues better than the previous figures of her that was released.

Durante said:
I finally had time to play VC again and started on the DLC. The game is even more awesome than I remembered (if such a thing is possible).

Since I now have a HD capture card I took a large number of screenshots, a few of which I've posted below (slight spoilers for the Edy DLC, but really nothing big). I finished the Edy mission, looking forward to the Selvaria one next.

(I guess you need to do it in 4 turns for an A?)

VERY nice screen shots Durante! Specs on your card?

IIRC, it is 4 turns. Each rank yields a different ending! If you're not keen on playing it over and over, the best option is to save just before the A-rank ending takes place, and then just reload and pass a turn to see the next rank ending. That or you can youtube it.

Durante

radiantdreamer said:
VERY nice screen shots Durante! Specs on your card?
It's a Blackmagic Intensity Pro (basically the only option to capture high quality HD screenshots/videos without breaking the bank). I'm using a program I wrote to play the game & do captures.

Here's one I took today that I really like:
2di3lzr.jpg

radiantdreamer said:
Each rank yields a different ending!
Thanks for telling me, I didn't know that (or rather, I probably read it months ago and forgot). I'll play it again for an A ranking and do the save/waiting thing.

Doytch

Just finished this today. First JRPG/JRPG-like game I've ever finished. I love it. The variety, the art, the mechanics, gameplay, presentation, all incredible. They tackled themes and issues that I rarely see mentioned in such depth in games (racism). Only occaisionally did I grimace because of Japanisms (beach party....). The pacing was perfect, even through the end which is where most games fall apart wrt pacing. It's up there for my favourite console-only game this generation for sure.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Doytch said:
Just finished this today. First JRPG/JRPG-like game I've ever finished. I love it. The variety, the art, the mechanics, gameplay, presentation, all incredible. They tackled themes and issues that I rarely see mentioned in such depth in games (racism). Only occaisionally did I grimace because of Japanisms (beach party....). The pacing was perfect, even through the end which is where most games fall apart wrt pacing. It's up there for my favourite console-only game this generation for sure.
:lol what?

Chris R

Just started to play today. After getting a B on the prologue mission I can't decide if I should play through first without trying to get an S on every mission or if I should go back and keep play the same missions over and over :lol

And just how low is the resolution in game? Text looked muddled as hell on my 1080p monitor (and from the XMB resolution I could tell the game was at 720p or lower).

Doytch

grandjedi6 said:

I don't think it's a Schindler's List, but most of the stories told in games are just revenge/kill this/fuck her/rinse/repeat. The only other recent title I can come up with that dealt with racism was the Witcher.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
grandjedi6 said:
I'd say this is true.. VC handles racism in a rather realistic way. Other games might have general hatred of outgroups but it's not quite the same thing a characters hating members of their own society for reasons of ethnic heritage.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Doytch said:
I don't think it's a Schindler's List, but most of the stories told in games are just revenge/kill this/fuck her/rinse/repeat. The only other recent title I can come up with that dealt with racism was the Witcher.
There are so many games that "deal" with racism. Its almost an unwritten rule that if you have elves or aliens you have to have racism. It can be a book or a game, a sci-fi or a fantasy, a WRPG or a JRPG, either way it will have racism. To make the point, here is a very partial list of games that have racism as a theme. Doesn't have Valkyria Chronicles yet, someone should add it!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
highluxury said:
They are definitely looking into it, I believe RubyEclipse has just recently stated that he's collecting data to back up the demand for trophies.

If only as many people would have requested the in game screenshot feature be added instead. If there was ever a game that could have done that feature justice this was it. -_-;

rhfb said:
Just started to play today. After getting a B on the prologue mission I can't decide if I should play through first without trying to get an S on every mission or if I should go back and keep play the same missions over and over :lol

The game has a new game+ feature that carries over all your characters levels and equipment. You'd probably be better playing the game normally your first time and then worrying about S ranks when you've got more powerful troops the 2nd time around, rather than repeating the same battles over to clear them once.

Edit: Forgot to say, if you are playing the US/Euro version the top rank is an A not an S.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Durante said:
It's a Blackmagic Intensity Pro (basically the only option to capture high quality HD screenshots/videos without breaking the bank). I'm using a program I wrote to play the game & do captures.
consider this a request for wendy/elysse/catherine screens.

>_>

please!

i've had to resort to offscreen shots ;_;

Chris R

Die Squirrel Die said:
The game has a new game+ feature that carries over all your characters levels and equipment. You'd probably be better playing the game normally your first time and then worrying about S ranks when you've got more powerful troops the 2nd time around, rather than repeating the same battles over to clear them once.

Edit: Forgot to say, if you are playing the US/Euro version the top rank is an A not an S.
Ah good to know, I just glanced at gamefaqs and saw a s rank guide (and thinking this was like DMC/AW where S > A :lol )

Giolon

rhfb said:
Ah good to know, I just glanced at gamefaqs and saw a s rank guide (and thinking this was like DMC/AW where S > A :lol )
FYI, there's no S rank in the American version. A rank is the highest you can get and still uses the A rank requirements of the Japanese version I believe.

Enron

Banned
MidnightRider said:
Great. Now that I came in this thread I have a sudden sensation to buy this game.

You should. It's dropped to 19.99 at Walmarts and its fantastic, easily the best game on PS3.

Virro

Had to drive a half hour, but found a copy at Wal-Mart. Was tempted to buy a system just for this game, but glad I waited for the slim. Can't wait to get further into the game, looks and plays great so far.

Durante

Pandaman said:
consider this a request for wendy/elysse/catherine screens.
Some quick shots from the character info screen (minor character story spoilers in the last 4):

mkdf13.jpg

hvte6a.jpg

2v80jgl.jpg

2n7nmyw.jpg

71pob8.jpg

rvwsg3.jpg

Maybe I'll take them the next time I do a skirmish and take some ingame captures.

Doytch

grandjedi6 said:
There are so many games that "deal" with racism. Its almost an unwritten rule that if you have elves or aliens you have to have racism. It can be a book or a game, a sci-fi or a fantasy, a WRPG or a JRPG, either way it will have racism. To make the point, here is a very partial list of games that have racism as a theme. Doesn't have Valkyria Chronicles yet, someone should add it!

I didn't mean to say that no one's covered it before, just that VC did so better than most.

From that list, I've played most of the western games mentioned, and I'd only count the Witcher and Vampire as games that actually did something with the theme. Some of the games on that list (GTA) just mention it. All I can remember from GTA4 is the Bosnian cardshark mission, and from GTA:SA(?), the kill Haitians mission. I was really interested in what R* would do with the opportunity they had to deal with the tension between the different countries in the Balkans and I was pretty disappointed.

And yeah, high-fantasy games always throw in the dwarves racism, but it's hardly ever executed in a manner that it actually comments on it or tries to draw parallels. I appreciated the fact that VC *tried* to make that parallel between the Darcsen and Jews, even though I felt there were parts where it didn't do it justice (post-Fouzen battle) and actually came off insulting (I think this is just me and my personal hangups, not a commentary on the writers).

Like I said, by no means do I think that it was a deep and thought-provoking treatment of the subject, but I do think it did it more justice than most titles. I liked that they actually tried to tackle the subject, since they could have just as easily left it out and come up with some other reason for Rosie hating Isara.

(This isn't meant to sound angry/defensive/pissy. I'm actually interested in others' opinions on this.)

Durante

We discussed this once or twice before in this thread. I agree that by game standards they deal with the theme very well, and if you read some of the side-character stories and consider the big reveal in the last chapter it's clear that they did it more thoroughly than just to make Isara and Rosie's interactions more interesting or improve the background for some missions.

Top Bottom