• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Mission 6 is killing me, why the hell to they tell you to deploy snipers I put two snipers on the right hand side and they are useless, anytime I fire at an enemy they miss. What do I do ? This mission is driving me insane.

Giolon

Virro said:
Just a quick question from someone who recently got the game and is loving it so far...

I'm finding the combat to be a bit 1-dimensional (Chapter 7) where it feels like most fights are picking people off in order to allow my tank to advance. Then sticking those same people behind the tank or in other places of cover and repeat until each objective is met.

Does the combat become a bit more varied as the game continues? I'm loving it so far, the story-telling, the graphical style, but this has to be my biggest problem with the game at the moment.
I hesitate to say it, but, "you're doing it wrong." Wrong is not be the exact right word, but there are definitely other ways to approach missions besides doing a slow tank crawl. Do be aware though that making sure your units are in Cover is generally a pretty good strategy. I suspect that as you continue on you'll be forced to do a little more "outside the box" thinking. All of the key speed strategies rely upon using your tank as little as possible (most of the time not at all).

If the slow and steady approach is what you enjoy or find that it's what you have to do to succeed (and in turn, have fun) then by all means keep doing it. But I think you're going to find that starting, probably with Chapter 7, that you'' need to start risking...more adventurous options.

McKeeverFever said:
Mission 6 is killing me, why the hell to they tell you to deploy snipers I put two snipers on the right hand side and they are useless, anytime I fire at an enemy they miss. What do I do ? This mission is driving me insane.
Have snipers can help you quite a bit. Unfortunately, at Chapter 6, your snipers' accuracy is still garbage. If you haven't been doing so already, be sure to research the accuracy line for their weapons and equip those. It helps far more than power until the late stages of the game. The mission is lenient enough to tolerate a few missed shots, but don't be afraid to reload if you're not getting the result you wanted.

Even without snipers on the ridge,
there's a lovely, lovely trench with lots of walls leading right up to the Eastern flag. Have you thought of taking advantage of that?

patsu

Yeah... it's because Virro is playing it 1-dimensional (i.e., he's playing it consistently safe). The game reacts to you when you change your strategy.

When I'm out of time (but still want to play), I'd rush more. If I want to stretch out the game, I'd use the tanks for cover. If I want to increase the difficulty, I deploy fewer troops. It's really up to you.

Virro

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not just sticking my entire group behind my tank while I use it to methodically advance. Maybe I should've clarified a bit more. Right now it just seems like a lot of the missions are composed of you deploying Snipers or Shocktroopers to take out their advance Lancers, advancing your tank to take out other tanks or groups of troops, then slingshotting around your tank with Scouts to capture the end objective or in-between camp. I understand the cover system, breaking their cover, using buildings/height for your advantage, etc.

That being said, I probably do play the game a bit on the safe side. And I do see what you meant by "risk-taking" starting with Chapter 7.

However, I found the Chapter 7 fight incredibly frustrating, simply because Selvaria is invincible. I had two separate attempts where she literally pinned my tank between a ridge and herself to where I was stuck permanently. It seemed like the computer AI was trying to get to a certain spot and inadvertently wound up behind me. I realize that's probably not indicative of the game and quite possibly my fault for positioning, but it just struck me as rather absurd.

I have a feeling *crosses fingers* that the gameplay will get a bit more depth once troops begin to have a more differentiation from weapons upgrades than just likes/dislikes and preferences for people paired with.

Virro said:
However, I found the Chapter 7 fight incredibly frustrating, simply because Selvaria is invincible. I had two separate attempts where she literally pinned my tank between a ridge and herself to where I was stuck permanently. It seemed like the computer AI was trying to get to a certain spot and inadvertently wound up behind me. I realize that's probably not indicative of the game and quite possibly my fault for positioning, but it just struck me as rather absurd.

You broke the game!

And anyway, she's not your objective. You need to avoid confrontation at all costs.

Virro

radiantdreamer said:
You broke the game!

And anyway, she's not your objective. You need to avoid confrontation at all costs.

Haha, yeah... I was using the tank to run interference, so my guys weren't in her LoS. It worked, but on those two attempts, it really didn't.

Virro said:
Haha, yeah... I was using the tank to run interference, so my guys weren't in her LoS. It worked, but on those two attempts, it really didn't.

nice. That seemingly was the only way I could complete the stage too.
I literally had everyone hide behind the walls, while Alicia made a desperate break for it. Go Alicia! GO GO GO!!! Save our asses!

Dave1988

Well, the anime is finally over (thank God!). Long has it been since I've seen such a FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU--- inducing anime.

NeoZylom said:
Guys (and Girls?)! I finally ordered the game on Amazon.ca :) Will receive it soon! Just in time for my fall break :)

Congratulations, it is an excellent game and you are in for a treat.

<--------- Hasnt been able to get into a SINGLE RPG/SRPG/JRPG except for Valkyria Chronicles in his life.

Am I the only one who looks in this thread whenever it's bumped in the hopes of new updates on the Developer Design Works book that's on hiatus in Japan right now?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I saw a new copy in Vancouver for the first time in 10+ months... Best Buy Burnaby. Good to see this again... VanGAF go buy it now!!

BocoDragon said:
I saw a new copy in Vancouver for the first time in 10+ months... Best Buy Burnaby. Good to see this again... VanGAF go buy it now!!

Report it to the Vancouver Gaming Deals thread!!!

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Am I the only one who looks in this thread whenever it's bumped in the hopes of new updates on the Developer Design Works book that's on hiatus in Japan right now?

Nope. I'm subscribed to this thread for that reason.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
NeoZylom said:
Guys (and Girls?)! I finally ordered the game on Amazon.ca :) Will receive it soon! Just in time for my fall break :)
you're in for a treat. i did the same one month ago, and it has been the one game i've been repeatedly returning to since than, compared to all the one-nighters i've had in the same span.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Played VCII at TGS. Got shiny Valkyrur Bag. Met Valkyria Devs. Asked them lots of questions. Got answers of epic proportions.

I'm still catching up on all the crazy things that happened over the last two weeks. What I will say for now is that VCII completely blew me away, and that I am continuing to ask around about that artbook for you guys. ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/3956011910/in/set-72157622432974354/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/3955225757/in/set-72157622432974354/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/3956006434/in/set-72157622432974354/

RubyEclipse said:
Played VCII at TGS. Got shiny Valkyrur Bag. Met Valkyria Devs. Asked them lots of questions. Got answers of epic proportions.

I'm still catching up on all the crazy things that happened over the last two weeks. What I will say for now is that VCII completely blew me away, and that I am continuing to ask around about that artbook for you guys. ;)

3956006434_c9af789465.jpg

The purpose of this is so you can beat it up.

Edeuinu

Any word that they're doing another PS3 full disc release. Having that number 2 behind the PSP one makes me feel like they won't.

Man am I glad the Valjyria anime is over. It started out fun and with promise but severely lost it's way in the second half, resulting in "anime producers know best" by ignoring the clear blueprint of the game's story just so they could have DBZ Valkyria fights and not have to animate the Edleweiss at all in the last battles. Ignoring Isara's "dream" is kind of a shitty move as well. Oh well, I shouldnt have expected any different!

Has spurred me on to replay it sometime soon to cleanse my pallet of it's awful re-telling.

Durante

RubyEclipse said:
So, when will we become privy to those? This post is a huge tease!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Darkpen said:
:D

That's so cute. I want one. So many Hans haters :(

Also, I want that cup!

....and the flag!

It is not like I hate Hans, I just hate the stuffed animal design.

It doesn't fit my definition of cute.

That Sylvaria statue is amazing. So much want.

Ok, VC question. I just beat Chapter 10, but in the process I let one of my scouts die. He's the guy with the bandana on his head. Should I go back to an earlier save and make sure he doesn't die? Or just move on?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm a 25 year old straight man and I'm taking a stand... I love that flying pig! :D

Giolon

adversesolutions said:

That Alicia statue is terrible. The face doesn't look a thing like her.

adversesolutions said:
Ok, VC question. I just beat Chapter 10, but in the process I let one of my scouts die. He's the guy with the bandana on his head. Should I go back to an earlier save and make sure he doesn't die? Or just move on?

It's up to you. There is a medal that you earn from someone dying. When you start a New Game+, all squad members will be back (and you'll still have your medal).

Sounds like it was Noce to me. I hate him. I say let him stay dead.

Durante

adversesolutions said:
Well, when you beat the game there will be a scrolling list of all your squad members and their state (alive or dead). How much having one "dead" entry in there will bother you depends on your OCD (I couldn't stand it :p).

Darkpen

Banned
Durante said:
Well, when you beat the game there will be a scrolling list of all your squad members and their state (alive or dead). How much having one "dead" entry in there will bother you depends on your OCD (I couldn't stand it :p).
lol, I let karl and whatshisface die, thinking that I needed to actually kill them to unlock their counterparts. turns out you only need to make them get knocked out in battle.

Aru

SecretBonusPoint said:
Man am I glad the Valjyria anime is over. It started out fun and with promise but severely lost it's way in the second half, resulting in "anime producers know best" by ignoring the clear blueprint of the game's story just so they could have DBZ Valkyria fights and not have to animate the Edleweiss at all in the last battles. Ignoring Isara's "dream" is kind of a shitty move as well. Oh well, I shouldnt have expected any different!

Has spurred me on to replay it sometime soon to cleanse my pallet of it's awful re-telling.

Yeah I was disappointed too. The overall story was better in the game.

Darkpen

Banned
I stopped watching the anime after I got my satisfaction of seeing Welkin finally break down like he should have in the game but didn't D:

So... that's like ep 19, I guess. Need to catch up :O

Lain

RubyEclipse said:

I want that bag! Damn!

Darkpen said:
I think its adorable D:

I think the problem with Hans isn't whether or not he's cute. I do think he's cute.
But he's mega fucking annoying. It's the way they forced him into the story.

I know Eternal Sonata's little critter isn't really any better, but he's not nearly as annoying.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Making pretty breezy progress with this game, up to Chapter 16 now. I just realized, I have gone through most of the game without using any Engineers or Snipers... and been getting quite a number of A rankings. Had troubles mostly with Chapters 7 and 14 - 7 I had no idea how the hell I won, apart from constant saving/reloading...

How is the DLC? I am planning on buying it upon completion of the regular game.

Durante

djtiesto said:
How is the DLC? I am planning on buying it upon completion of the regular game.
There are 2 story DLCs (one Edy one with one mission and a Selvaria one with 3) and a Hard Ex mode that adds an additional difficulty level to all the Skirmishes.
The only one which some people don't think is worth it is the Edy one, but it has several endings depending on rank and even a single playthrough takes over an hour. Personally I think it's still good value.

Just got the game with my new PS3 slim. Wow. This thread is a big help, thanks everybody. Still don't get the permadeath thing yet, but will work it out. (I mean, I know what it is, just not how to play with it.)

Azuran

Banned
I've finally finished this game yesterday, two months after I started. I also found out that I don't have the same patience or motivation that I did when I was younger when it comes to games like this. Restating a level because of one small mistake really destroys my enthusiasm.

Well, at least it was worth it. One of the best strategy games I've played din my life.

Koren

Wolves Evolve said:
Just got the game with my new PS3 slim. Wow. This thread is a big help, thanks everybody. Still don't get the permadeath thing yet, but will work it out. (I mean, I know what it is, just not how to play with it.)
Anything will do, even more than in Fire Emblem:
- if you don't care, you'll find more than enough replacement troops to replace anybody, except if you are *really* prone to lose soldiers
- if you care about specific characters, that can make the game more involving and more challenging

Durante said:
There are 2 story DLCs (one Edy one with one mission and a Selvaria one with 3) and a Hard Ex mode that adds an additional difficulty level to all the Skirmishes.
The only one which some people don't think is worth it is the Edy one, but it has several endings depending on rank and even a single playthrough takes over an hour. Personally I think it's still good value.
I also think it worth the price, since it's one of the most interesting missions in the game, I think.

Also, "additional difficulty level" for skirmishes, that means different deployment and new rules (no tank), not just some adjustments to AI and level of opponents.

McNum

Another Valkyria Chronicles newbie signing in. I got the game yesterday for my new Slim PS3 and so far I like it. It's a weird game, though. Turn based strategy RPG third person shooter? It's a pretty fun game so far, but I really need to get better at it. Chapter 4 was... messy. But a victory on the last CP of the final turn is still a victory. Got pinned down until I figured out how to replace troops in an ongoing battle. I bet that's going to be useful later. I'm a bit anxious about losing troops, though, that must be my Fire Emblem experience talking. I like it so far, I think between this and MGS4, this is the stronger game. Not that MGS4 is bad, but this one is just more fun.

I do have a few questions, though.

Is there any way to mess up training and research?
I don't want to paint myself into a corner with this and end up restarting half way through. I don't see that big results from training, actually, but it's Exp and more levels. It has to be good.

Engineers. What can they do exactly?
I've been running them as medics and mechanics, but the game said they can build sandbag walls. How? I've repaired a broken one, but can they build new ones in the middle of nowhere? I could have used that if they can.

And finally, what's the most common newbie mistake? Tank-crawling?

But other than that, I just want to say thanks for to GAF for putting this game on the radar for me. It feels like a weird cross between Fire Emblem and Skies of Arcadia in tone, and who knows what for gameplay.

EDIT: The style of this game is awesome. The fist "wow" experience of my new PS3 wasn't from anything in MGS4, it was that simple opening to Valkyria where you see Velkin and his tank being drawn, then shaded, and then the drawing comes to life and drives off. Then you realize that the entire game will look like that. :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wolves Evolve said:

Well, you can save in battle and then reload if anything bad happens (unfortunately, reloading takes a LONG time).

If a fallen character isn't taken to the Medic in 3 turns, you lose him/her... or if an enemy marches over to the fallen character, you will lose him/her permanently as well. I only had to worry about permadeath in one of the missions, you will know which one when you get to it. But I did a bit of save/load and got a bit lucky to get through it.

McNum

djtiesto said:
Well, you can save in battle and then reload if anything bad happens (unfortunately, reloading takes a LONG time).

You can what? Okay, consider one of my questions answered: Newbie mistake: Not realizing you can save in battle.

AleeN634

McNum said:

No, eventually weapon upgrades will split, generally I find its best to prioritize accuracy over power.

McNum said:

Engineers can repair your tank (target radiator), rebuild sandbags (pre-deployed only) and disable landmines.

McNum said:

Probably trying to go after A ranks all the time. Because of Skirmish mode don't worry too much about losing bonuses take your time to understand the game (you can easily do Skirmish maps repeatedly to make extra cash and exp). The biggest hint I can give is always keep your training levels within 1-2 levels of the current chapter number.

Oh and always create a separate in mission save once every few turns.

Koren

McNum said:
Another Valkyria Chronicles newbie signing in.
Yes, another one! Welcome!

McNum said:
It's a weird game, though. Turn based strategy RPG third person shooter?
Not unseen, there has been some examples in the past, but definitely unusual. It's no so far from the Sakura Taisen Battle system, except that enemy can attack during moves.

McNum said:
Got pinned down until I figured out how to replace troops in an ongoing battle. I bet that's going to be useful later.
Often... Retreat + Deploy is Full Heal + Long-range Move (assuming you own several camps) for only 2 CP, for example. Really handy sometimes.

McNum said:
I'm a bit anxious about losing troops, though, that must be my Fire Emblem experience talking.
Yes, except that death can be undone just by moving a player nearby before the enemy. As long as you are careful, you won't experience "death from bad luck" like in Fire Emblem. Just think that if something can go wrong, and if permadeath bothers you, you should keep a CP for a rescue (or at least protect the corpse during enemy phase).

If that can lighten your anxiety, I haven't lost a single soldier in my first playthrough, I had to do it with purpose to see what happens if someone dies. So it's not as dangerous as Fire Emblem.

McNum said:
Not really, with time, you can have everything, anyway. But some rules can help you to make things easier:

- when there's a split for weapon development, chose one and only one path (and avoid status ailments, I think it's pretty unefficient... I'd go for precision, but that's my take). And don't forget to look for enemy weapons on their corpse, by the way.

- level all classes evenly... Even if scouts are uber-powerful at the end, during you first playthrough, all five classes are really useful. There's a *big* improvement at level 10, and a *huge* at level 20 (classes capabilities are pretty insane at this level, but you'll reach that after the end of the game, most probably)

- don't developp more thing for the tank you'll be able to equip. I'd rather completely skip the tank development beside defense and critical defense myself, but again, that's a personnal point of view.

You should be fine...

McNum said:
Many things:
- resupply your troops (when you earn 1 lance each turn, having an engineer ressupplying all your lancers in 1CP is valuable, same for snipers)
- repair the tank (not overly useful, but if your tank is low on HP, that can save you
- remove mines and other threats (many of them in the same turn if needed)
- rebuilt defensive positions, such as sand bags, anti-tank defenses, etc.
(I don't think you can build them from scratch, though)

You probably won't need more than one of them, but they're still pretty handy in a group.

McNum said:
Don't really know... But the game is easier if you get good marks, and good marks only come from good completion times (no offense/defense score involved, just number of turns).

Positionning after the end of the turn is also really important, since you can fire on enemies during their time... and most of the time, if they are shot, they'll stop their action, which gives you a big advantage.

I personnally find the tanks mostly useless, but that's personnal tastes, again. I prefer rushing with an assault team on foot, covered by snipers.

McNum said:
It feels like a weird cross between Fire Emblem and Skies of Arcadia in tone, and who knows what for gameplay.
Interesting comparison... Probably accurate if you ask me.

McNum

AleeN634 said:
No, eventually weapon upgrades will split, generally I find its best to prioritize accuracy over power.
Great, I was planning on doing that anyway. So far I've been able to afford it all, but when it comes down to priority, I'll go for accuracy. I always do that in any game with upgrades. I hate missing. Especially on Snipers.

AleeN634 said:
Engineers can repair your tank (target radiator), rebuild sandbags (pre-deployed only) and disable landmines.
I see I was doing it right, then. Engineers are pretty useful, and with that big AP amount they have, they can stay concealed, run to the front line, do their thing, and run back. Free ammo for everyone! An Engineer is a Lancer and Sniper's best friend.

AleeN634 said:
Probably trying to go after A ranks all the time. Because of Skirmish mode don't worry too much about losing bonuses take your time to understand the game (you can easily do Skirmish maps repeatedly to make extra cash and exp). The biggest hint I can give is always keep your training levels within 1-2 levels of the current chapter number.

Oh and always create a separate in mission save once every few turns.
I wasn't saving in mission, at all. I'll remember to replay Skirmishes if I need cash or exp. I don't really care about Rank yet. I have no idea what affects it, so I don't bother with it. I guess I'd have to clear the map in two turns while leaving half my army at home for an A or something crazy like that.

I have already figured out not to blindly trust the auto-aim. If I'm close, I'll aim a little higher. It pays off, and is why I really like +acc.

McNum said:
I don't want to paint myself into a corner with this and end up restarting half way through. I don't see that big results from training, actually, but it's Exp and more levels. It has to be good.

Just don't spend too much time on snipers at first. They level up fine, but the benefits come slowly compared to other classes. Just keep them even with the competition.

McNum said:
I've been running them as medics and mechanics, but the game said they can build sandbag walls. How? I've repaired a broken one, but can they build new ones in the middle of nowhere? I could have used that if they can.

I never build bags, so I can't really answer that question from memory.

Engineers are essential for missions where you must bring your tank into play and need to repair. Also, their most important asset is their ability to give ammo to people, especially lancers. Plus, they've got great range, and can carry a nice rifle.

McNum said:

Not using your high-range classes enough. When you get into trying to get high scores on missions (don't worry about this your first playthrough) you'll really learn how to maximize these classes. They are essential to getting As.

McNum said:
But other than that, I just want to say thanks for to GAF for putting this game on the radar for me. It feels like a weird cross between Fire Emblem and Skies of Arcadia in tone, and who knows what for gameplay.

EDIT: The style of this game is awesome. The fist "wow" experience of my new PS3 wasn't from anything in MGS4, it was that simple opening to Valkyria where you see Velkin and his tank being drawn, then shaded, and then the drawing comes to life and drives off. Then you realize that the entire game will look like that. :D

Congrats to you. You had an open mind. Now, you've got an awesome game for your PS3. VC is easily in my Top 5 Disc-Based PS3 Games list.

Dizzy-4U

McNum said:
Got pinned down until I figured out how to replace troops in an ongoing battle. I bet that's going to be useful later.
This is pretty good for shortcuts also. Since snipers and lancers have very little mobility, sometimes it's better to start the mission with fewer units than required. So, the first few turns you concentrate your attack with shocktroopers and scouts and when you capture a base, you can deploy your snipers and lancers there. You'll save a lot of time.

Koren

McNum said:
I wasn't saving in mission, at all. I'll remember to replay Skirmishes if I need cash or exp. I don't really care about Rank yet. I have no idea what affects it, so I don't bother with it. I guess I'd have to clear the map in two turns while leaving half my army at home for an A or something crazy like that.
As I said, it's only a matter of speed, and not really crazy at all (I understood this after 5-6 missions, and I nearly always gotten A and B after that on my first playthrough for the rest of the game... and I wasn't even playing skirmishes)

When you get As, you get more EXP, so level-up faster, which makes games easier and so on... (but even with a bad start, the EXP is so exponential that as soon as you get As, you'll get benefits from them)

Still, you really don't have to look for As (and definitely should not replay a mission for it if you don't want to). I just find it more interesting if I'm thinking "what is the best way to be efficient here?" Others most probably like their game another way.

Just play the game the way you like it, and enjoy it as much as many people here!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Azuran said:
I've finally finished this game yesterday, two months after I started. I also found out that I don't have the same patience or motivation that I did when I was younger when it comes to games like this. Restating a level because of one small mistake really destroys my enthusiasm.

Well, at least it was worth it. One of the best strategy games I've played din my life.

Yeah you know I'm on The Maiden's Shield and I've been there for about a month now... yeah its an "easy" level but the length of the previous levels has just burned me out, and I don't know if I can finish the last few (which I imagine are going to be hard as sh*t).... I just can't drum up the enthusiasm to dive back in and its too bad because I really, REALLY enjoyed this game at the beginning through the middle...

Top Bottom