• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

McNum said:
Well, I'm slowly but steadily progressing through the game. I'm having a little trouble getting good ranks on the missions, except episode 9. My first B. That was a nice chuck of EXP. Got a little flash of inspiration on that one and it worked perfectly. I could probably have ended it a turn sooner, but I didn't have the CP needed to pull it off. I noticed something, though. It varies how much CP I have, even from different attempts at the same mission. How do I know how much CP I'll have per turn?

I noticed Alicia, Rosie, and Largo each come with a CP icon on their portrait, which apparently translates into another CP recovered per turn, but are there any other ways to increase my CP amount? In a rather vague, non-spoiler way, do I get more CP granting characters? (The suspicious double break between the weapon upgrades and the Edelweiss upgrades and that it says "Outfit Tanks" suggests that I might.) I figure that more CP means I can finish missions faster and get more EXP.

Eh, if I'm running low on EXP, I'll just run some skirmishes. Got the first one down to one turn on normal now. Alicia is getting rather strong, when she's not getting shot by a Shocktrooper.

Yeah, don't worry about getting good ranks. It's really not that important. You just get more exp and gold, which you can do in skirmishes anyway.

And yeah, you do eventually get ONE more CP. Your hunches are correct. Basically, all main story characters are like captains, and give you +1 CP per turn. If they fall in battle, that bonus is lost until they are recovered. The same goes for the enemy. You'll notice if you drop a red soldier, a CP pops out of them and breaks. That's one less CP they have at their disposal for the same reason.

In terms of why your CP amount varies per turn, it doesn't. It gives you the same amount of CP per turn. What's going on is the CP you didn't use in your previous turn carries over. It's important to use that to your advantage sometime and plan ahead. Maybe you want to get some of your soldiers in the proper positions before you use some CP on stat-boosting commands to the fullest potential.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
zoukka said:
I guess it was the whole "happy style and anime" that got people together and praise the games visuals. Nothing else can explain it really.

Er, not really. It's beautiful. It's like your describing a completely different game.

And my god at the cliches in the body language of the characters... and they underline this by playing them so slowly D:

The body language? WTH...

This game is so ridiculous in portraying any kind of "strategy" or war.

Welcome to video games champ. :lol

Blah blah blah. You make a poor Drinky. Let go of your embarrassing insecurities and try to enjoy one of the best games the gen.

McNum

radiantdreamer said:
Yeah, don't worry about getting good ranks. It's really not that important. You just get more exp and gold, which you can do in skirmishes anyway.

And yeah, you do eventually get ONE more CP. Your hunches are correct. Basically, all main story characters are like captains, and give you +1 CP per turn. If they fall in battle, that bonus is lost until they are recovered. The same goes for the enemy. You'll notice if you drop a red soldier, a CP pops out of them and breaks. That's one less CP they have at their disposal for the same reason.

In terms of why your CP amount varies per turn, it doesn't. It gives you the same amount of CP per turn. What's going on is the CP you didn't use in your previous turn carries over. It's important to use that to your advantage sometime and plan ahead. Maybe you want to get some of your soldiers in the proper positions before you use some CP on stat-boosting commands to the fullest potential.

I did get a varying amount of CP because I left Largo and/or Rosie on the bench for a few missions. I'll try to keep them in the game now. I could have ended 9 a turn sooner had I fielded Largo, but the briefing told me that Lances were off limits, so Largo was left behind. Had to store a few CP to give one of my Shocktroopers as many rounds as possible in one Player Phase since he was in an excellent position towards the target. I do have an idea who the final CP character is. Well, several ideas, although I suspect one.

I kind of like not knowing all about a game when playing it. It's refreshing.

ianp622

McNum said:
I did get a varying amount of CP because I left Largo and/or Rosie on the bench for a few missions. I'll try to keep them in the game now. I could have ended 9 a turn sooner had I fielded Largo, but the briefing told me that Lances were off limits, so Largo was left behind. Had to store a few CP to give one of my Shocktroopers as many rounds as possible in one Player Phase since he was in an excellent position towards the target. I do have an idea who the final CP character is. Well, several ideas, although I suspect one.

I kind of like not knowing all about a game when playing it. It's refreshing.

Don't forget to use orders. You can kill the car in that mission you're referring to (with no Lancers) in 2 turns or less using orders.

McNum

ianp622 said:
Don't forget to use orders. You can kill the car in that mission you're referring to (with no Lancers) in 2 turns or less using orders.

Yup, it's the car. I got it in turn 4 after realizing that if I didn't block its path, I could decide where it would attempt to break through. So the Edelweiss was parked just next to the exit with
Vyse
hiding behind it. Because he has a potential that lets him take less damage when charging. 7 CP later and the car was stopped.

Then I spend the EXP on training and qualify for a new order: "Increase damage against vehicles." Ha ha, very funny Sega. I could have used that before this mission.

Do we still spoiler tag the cameo people? There are a few newbies here, including myself, but I got them rather early in the game. Eh, I'm still a junior. Better safe than sorry.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Koren said:
Isn't this the level where you run
from their giant Tank Marmota
?

I don't remember it being a difficult level, mostly boring in fact. Maybe you should
only deploy the leaders, for the bonus CPs they give, and one engineer... The more people you take with you, the more difficult it'll be to move everyone in time

I think there's three missions after this one. The next one can be difficult, but I was lucky to find a small "mistake" in the AI
rushing to the south-west camp can give you a chance to take down the objective without letting him repair itself
. The following one is quite doable
especially if you use well the smoke grenades
. Then the final level is easy.

(those are not exactly spoilers, not even ideas of strategies, in fact, but I prefer hiding them if some disagrees)

Yes... The game was not seen by everyone as a real diamond, but there's enough fans of this game so that more and more people discover it. I'm always happy seing this thread on the front page. It's my favorite game on PS3, currently.

Yeah you're correct. I actually messed up the mission (even though it is very easy), and just my general built up frustration at how rough so many of the mission leading up to that had been that I was like AAAAAAAAHHHH.

This weekend I'll probably go ahead and finish it out... kinda disappointed the sequel is on the PSP... I don't spend much time with my PSP these days... oh well at least I can still output it to my TV....

Koren said:
...It's even funnier
to kill an heavy tank using two shots in the hull from a sniper at the opposite side of the map using orders (Penetrate, Demolition and Weak Point)
:lol Never thought of that one - got to give it a try sometimes just for the laugh.

zoukka

140.85 said:
Blah blah blah. You make a poor Drinky. Let go of your embarrassing insecurities and try to enjoy one of the best games the gen.

6fhaxc6.jpg

Enron

Banned
zoukka said:
Sorry radiandreamer I do watch anime and recognize shitty style when I see it.

He doesn't know how much you know about anime, but he's an expert.

Are you related to 7Th, perchance?

Solune

zoukka said:

I don't understand how watching anime allows you recognize shitty style when you see it.
You're entitled to your opinion but quite frankly the majority believe it to be unique and refreshing.

Durante

Now people, leave zoukka alone, he's entitled to his opinion
regardless of how wrong he is and how inanely he chooses to express it

Durante said:
Now people, leave zoukka alone, he's entitled to his opinion
regardless of how wrong he is and how inanely he chooses to express it

Yes, he is entitled to his own opinion. But this is also GAF. He should have expected what's comin'.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Eurogamer hands on with Valkyria II

It certainly feels familiar once you're thrown into an actual battle. The Blitz system, remarkably, remains exactly the same as it was on the PS3, if less impressive visually. It's turn-based, but within your turn you move each of your units and fire at enemies in real-time. The blend of third-person action and top-down strategy feels as seamless and refreshing as it ever did.

Although you could change the equipment on your beloved Edelweiss before, now there are hundreds of parts and decals for your personal tank. You can even customise it so that it becomes a people-carrier, completely changing how you use it in a fight.

Glad to see the gameplay system has remained exactly the same. Vehicle customisation sounds interesting.

zoukka

radiantdreamer said:
Not really. Art style is subjective. Shitty posts are shitty posts.

So I guess you guys are pretty damn insecure for bashing my subjective opinion from the start then. Maybe we can have a group hug or something to raise those chins!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zoukka said:
I know. You need artistic skills too.

Not even close, I was aiming for exposure and experience to the medium.

A person who has been watching anime since Naruto doesn't have as much experience and exposure as the person who has been watching anime religiously since Oh My Goddess, Tenchi Muyo, or Sailor Moon.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ianp622 said:
you can pass that mission in two turns without a single order. it's all in the positioning of your units during the first turn.

zoukka

Hcoregamer00 said:
Not even close, I was aiming for exposure and experience to the medium.

A person who has been watching anime since Naruto doesn't have as much experience and exposure as the person who has been watching anime religiously since Oh My Goddess, Tenchi Muyo, or Sailor Moon.

You kid right? I would say that an illustrator knows when he sees bad art™ more likely than some "heavily exposed" otaku does. Watching anime should increase your knowledge about anime. And that concludes the list of the "sure" things watching anime does.

Never thought I'd stir the nest this bad...

zoukka said:
You kid right? I would say that an illustrator knows when he sees bad art™ more likely than some "heavily exposed" otaku does. Watching anime should increase your knowledge about anime. And that concludes the list of the "sure" things watching anime does.

Never thought I'd stir the nest this bad...

You don't have to be a chef to know when you've tasted good food. By the same token, spam tastes good to me, as does filet mignon wrapped in bacon with demi-glace.

In other words, it's subjective. I wouldn't go so far as to calling Valkyria Chronicles Bad Art.

To defend Hcoregamer's point - I think what he may mean is that when you've watched enough anime, you know what sort of anime styles look good, and what sort of anime styles look bad. There are subtleties in styles that a regular illustrator would not be able to pick out unless he's really exposed himself to it - and that goes for an illustrator of any style, really. Therefore your point is kinda invalid.

scotcheggz

You guys are seriously arguing about anime? :lol

Anyways, those EG impressions sound great, completely customize vehicles? YES PLEASE! Will be interesting to see how much of a difference to missions it makes depending on which style of vehicle you use. I just hope each vehicle is actually useful and not like the first game where you didn't need to use even half of the avalable options after a certain point.

Although like in the first game I suppose you could clear the game the first time trying to use all your resources etc and then a second time just trying to get all A's. I've played this game more probably becuase it was possible to do this. Loved experimenting and this sounds like it gives us lots of options to do just that.

Solune

zoukka said:
I know. You need artistic skills too.

Wow I guess I was wrong :b

I never said anything about you being wrong or anything.

zoukka said:

Perhaps you didn't mean to make it sound like it, but it appears to be a statement of fact as opposed to disliking it.
That's the only thing I really disliked, if you don't like it that's cool. I'll leave it at that.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
Maybe this is what you see:
itsallthesameshit.gif

That is cheating, because Rie Kugimiya's roles all sound the same.

The only recent role she does that doesn't sound like every other character she does is Shannon from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni.

Hcoregamer00 said:
That is cheating, because Rie Kugimiya's roles all sound the same.

The only recent role she does that doesn't sound like every other character she does is Shannon from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni.

:lol I had no idea she did the voices for these three characters.

McNum

You guys weren't kidding when you said orders are powerful. Holy crap at Rosie, she took out a Heavy Tank solo, well, Welkin helped with a smoke grenade, but that is just plain wrong. And that was just the Damage Boost order, Demolition Boost must be overkill. Then I took the base with a two Scout strike team. Buffed to the gills with orders. I'm starting to get As now. Hitting level 11 by chapter 11 with everyone sure made them a lot better. I got Easy Skirmish 5 down to 3 turns with some creative ordering, which pretty much solved all my falling behind on Exp issues. 30,000EXP and 50,000DCT per run. :D

I reached chapter 13 today, and the story is picking up. I'll admit, I didn't see those twists coming. Poor
Isara
. The coming battle looks... painful.
No tanks allowed, meaning no Orders, the enemy is carpet-bombing the map, and the intro shows Selvaria in an angry mood? Plus the after battle image is Alicia on the bad end of a sniper scope.
Yeah, this will hurt. I do have a pretty good idea what will happen after that battle, though. The game likes its foreshadowing. I don't really enjoy the idea of having to face
Selvaria
again. Last time I fought that boss, it wasn't much of a fight. More like "Break line of sight and hope the CPU wastes CP one something else!" Thankfully it worked, but... there has to be something I can do to slow it down. It seems wrong to unleash a superboss like that without giving the player some way to defend itself.

Oh, after hitting 11, my troops got some new toys. Are they any good? I tried the flamethrower, but I wasn't really impressed. Grenades can flush out crouching troops just as easily, and I've got a long range version on my Scouts now. Also, the Mortar Lances. Worth it? Considering that a Damage and Defense Boosted Shocktrooper can take out a tank now, maybe it's a good idea to re-purpose the Lancers? Rosie is catching up on Largo in tank kills pretty fast. Hmm, I wonder what a Demolition Boosted Sniper can do... One shot, one Tank?

I got to the last boss having gotten at least B rank on most missions, and was pretty shocked that I couldn't beat the final battle. But I just realized what the problem was. It wasn't an issue of leveling (most of my guys are lv. 15), it was something more fundamental which I had been missing the whole game. Any weapons you capture or get via medals, you have to EQUIP in town. I can't believe I missed this. Would've made the whole rest of the game waaay easier.

Anyways I beat it and I have to say: so far for me this is clearly the RPG of the generation. I don't care that it's a tactical RPG. This is a masterpiece of a game.

For me what really set it apart from others was its story. I have not had a JRPG story that takes the player seriously like this since...jeez, FF6 maybe? We don't have to deal with preteen angst, all of the dialog is written really well (I'm playing the J version just fyi). Yes there is a JRPG cliche empire in the game, but there's so much revealed throughout the story that casts doubt on both the empire and the "rebel country". For instance (IIRC) just the fact that Gunter and friends are recruited into the army because their country is a border region, and not because of the glory of the fight, or outright loyalty to Galia, I think was a big step away from the conventional plot.

The game was just built for adults, and it shows. It is mature and extremely well-told. I really hope that with the new popularity of the PS3, that people take the time to play this game. I probably bought it a year ago, but had only now gotten around to finishing it, and I'm very very glad I did.

Straight up #1 PS3 game for me, and best JRPG of the gen.

Darkpen

Banned
adversesolutions: kudos, man. Yeah, VC's really well written, and you should check out the english cast for the second playthrough. They're totally competant; Sega has surprisingly well directed english voice work in their games, with the other one sticking out being Yakuza 1.
radiantdreamer said:
Maybe this is what you see:
itsallthesameshit.gif
lol, I laughed when I saw that, because its true, but then I read that radiantdreamer didn't know that they're all voiced by the same voice actress in the same way, and I was disappointed. I don't know who the one with the pink hair is, but Shana and Taiga? :/

Durante

McNum said:
Oh, after hitting 11, my troops got some new toys. Are they any good? I tried the flamethrower, but I wasn't really impressed.
I had the same feeling initially, but the flamethrower gets obscenely powerful after a few updates. Later you can basically kill any normal infantry unit in one shot, regardless of cover (and if you're lucky you can get more than one).

adversesolutions said:
For me what really set it apart from others was its story. I have not had a JRPG story that takes the player seriously like this since...jeez, FF6 maybe? We don't have to deal with preteen angst, all of the dialog is written really well (I'm playing the J version just fyi). Yes there is a JRPG cliche empire in the game, but there's so much revealed throughout the story that casts doubt on both the empire and the "rebel country". For instance (IIRC) just the fact that Gunter and friends are recruited into the army because their country is a border region, and not because of the glory of the fight, or outright loyalty to Galia, I think was a big step away from the conventional plot.
I completely agree. It's too bad that the sequel looks like it's a bit of a step back in terms of story.

adversesolutions said:
Straight up #1 PS3 game for me, and best JRPG of the gen.
Between that and the shmup avatar you clearly are a scholar and a gentleman.

Dave1988

Darkpen said:
adversesolutions: kudos, man. Yeah, VC's really well written, and you should check out the english cast for the second playthrough. They're totally competant; Sega has surprisingly well directed english voice work in their games, with the other one sticking out being Yakuza 1.
lol, I laughed when I saw that, because its true, but then I read that radiantdreamer didn't know that they're all voiced by the same voice actress in the same way, and I was disappointed. I don't know who the one with the pink hair is, but Shana and Taiga? :/

It's Louise. I don't remember what the anime was called, though.

Darkpen said:

Yeah, sorry to disappoint. It's not that I don't know who, it's more like I don't care to know.

And that's Louise from Zero no Tsukaima. She's some sorta magic user. :p
Pretty popular character among the otaku, it seems.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
radiantdreamer said:
Yeah, sorry to disappoint. It's not that I don't know who, it's more like I don't care to know.

And that's Louise from Zero no Tsukaima. She's some sorta magic user. :p
Pretty popular character among the otaku, it seems.
of course she is, she's a loli dominatrix whose let saito get to second base.

Giolon

*cough* ahem...

Let's try to get this thread at least somewhat back on track. Shall we? Let's start with some relatively newly revealed VC2 characters:

Raymond Moen (レイモンド・モーエン)
ss5401.jpg

Eric Campman (エリク・カンプマン)
ss5402.jpg

Colleen Celsius (コリーン・セルシウス)
ss5403.jpg

Margaret? (マガリ)
ss5404.jpg

Japan needs to stop naming Boys Nicole: Nicole Martin (ニコル・マルティン)
ss5405.jpg

Yoahim? Asen (ヨアヒム・オーセン)
ss5406.jpg

And last, but definitely not least, and here to give Selvaria a run for her money: Yuriana (Juliana?) Evilheart (ユリアナ・エーベルハルト)
ss5407.jpg

Top Bottom