• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

DeadGzuz

Banned
Square Triangle said:
VC is 20 bucks at Gamestop now, yesss.

*runs away in shame for not buying it before*

Just picked up the last copy, damn opened box. I'll put it on my 2010 list to play. Now it need a trophy patch!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
bernardobri said:
Oh my, I hope so.
i guess it didn't? where is it?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DeadGzuz said:
Now it need a trophy patch!
Yeah, and I need to be able to bend over and give myself a blowjob but that's probably not gonna happen. But I could be wrong, maybe it will come out around the same time as the MGS4 trophy patch. Just play the damn game, beating it is rewarding enough on it's own.

AAK

Snuggler said:
Yeah, and I need to be able to bend over and give myself a blowjob but that's probably not gonna happen. But I could be wrong, maybe it will come out around the same time as the MGS4 trophy patch. Just play the damn game, beating it is rewarding enough on it's own.

If there ever was gonna be a MGS4 trophy patch, I suppose it will come with the eventual MGS4: Sub*******nce.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Snuggler said:

With that attitude I will not play it now. I will hold on to it forever and never ever play it. I shall never know it's greatness now, good job.

Just got this in the mail, impressions soon. I've heard awesome things from friends, and I hope the game won't be as disappointing as the demo.

Durante

DeadGzuz said:
With that attitude I will not play it now. I will hold on to it forever and never ever play it. I shall never know it's greatness now, good job.
So you are depriving yourself of a great game and want us to feel bad about it? :lol

I bought this last night for $17 used at gamestop, great looking case and disc in fantastic shape.

I only got to I think Chapter 3 before I had to call it a night. I love the one battle theme that sounds like a fast upbeat version of the title theme. This is going to be a really fun game.

I keep accidentally jumping over bunkers by mistake when I wanted to crouch in front of them. I'm sure I will get the hang of it.

From a thread 12/9/2008 about games one planned to pick up eventually:

BuckRobotron said:
Looks like Valkyria Chronicles is my kind of game. Will be among the first games I get whenever I decide to get a PS3...

Just picked up last one at GS. Excellent external condition after slowly removing those $59.99 stickers in one clean piece each. And game and manual are pristine. No PS3 yet, but as per above I couldn't avoid picking this up at this price (wasn't at nearest Walmart).

Note: all other things being equal, the Uncharted games would be higher priority, but as primary Sony properties they'll be there whenever I get around to actually buying the PS3 (or may even be an easy gift recommendation or part of a promotional deal, who knows)

McNum

So, managed to get to chapter 17 today. I was stuck on 15 for a while, that boss meant business. I won that battle in the most perfect way, though.
Valkyria vs. Valkyria. I don't think I've seen that many potentials go off in one round before. Alicia fought like she had something to prove. Resist Crossfire, Valkyria, Undodgeable Shot. Seven clean Attack boosted headshots took Selvaria down. Note to self: Avoid Alicia when she's angry.

The story is getting fun, too, I literally cheered when
Selvaria nuked General Damon. He so had that coming. Then Maximillian unveils the Marmota, removing all doubts that YES, he definitely IS compensating for something. The game keeps teasing with Alicia going blue in cutscenes, yet never in missions. I really hope that the final map is something like Valkyria Alicia and Welkin vs. Marmota. I'll find out soon enough.
The game seems to be ending soon, especially since most of the tech trees are one or two spots away from maxing out. I hope I can get it done this week. It's been a fun ride so far, so I hope the ending isn't a letdown.

I just finished getting all the A rankings on the Blue Flame missions. I enjoyed them a lot... had forgotten just how good the game was. Going to buy the other mission DLC now. I know it's not supposed to be anywhere near as good, but I'd like to manifest my appreciation for the game if nothing else.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Grabbed the game this week, so far, so good. Some missions are tough, but once you know the drill, you can make your own way to win in many forms.

I found kinda cheap when
Radi Jaeger chicken out from the Supply Depot mission. I expected a bonus for beating him before he could leave. Oh well...

I will grab the Edy and Blue Flame DLC once I beat the game. I don't care too much about Hard Ex though.

dramatis

BuckRobotron said:
Just picked up last one at GS. Excellent external condition after slowly removing those $59.99 stickers in one clean piece each. And game and manual are pristine. No PS3 yet, but as per above I couldn't avoid picking this up at this price (wasn't at nearest Walmart).

Note: all other things being equal, the Uncharted games would be higher priority, but as primary Sony properties they'll be there whenever I get around to actually buying the PS3 (or may even be an easy gift recommendation or part of a promotional deal, who knows)

I'm in the same boat, no PS3 but has game, although I snagged mine off ebay new for $32 with free shipping. Couldn't resist, and had the same sentiment that VC would be rare after a while.

I think I'll be getting the PS3 this holiday season, since the games I want are finally coming out.

VC is at home though, and I'm at college. I won't be close to the game until December. 8(

bernardobri

(Ch. 7 Spoilers)

FUCK THAT GODDAMN BIG TANK.

It took me a lot of time to bring it down, at least I did it on my first try (Although, the tank was almost close to the final base before I took it down 100%) Didn't expect to bring all the lancers and start shooting the gunners and radiators like crazy.

Good thing I put most of the engineers/lancers from the opposite site where Selvaria arrives once the tank breaks the 2nd ruin wall. A buddy told me that it took him around 3 times before completing the mission.

Man, Selvaria raped almost anyone who was on the final base (only Rosie and Alicia were left crouched, so I started each turn with an extra star. They didn't do too much besides taking one or two enemies from Selvaria's Group, then the big tank was blocking the way between Alicia/Rosie and Selvaria)

This game is almost everything I wanted in a SRPG. And to think this is just the beginning

Wehrwolf

Actually, chapter 7 cemented the game being one of my favorites; actually exciting when to clear that stage with a sense of accomplishment, and lots of important and interesting story stuff happening there too.

Wehrwolf

But the real question, is who is going to buy the official cushions and towel?:

Selvaria cushion Actually disappointed in the art they used for it..

Alicia cushion Alicia running, gun in hand

Towel No characters, just the crest of Gallia on it. Course, I don't have a habit of buying anime towels, but would've been disappointing if I was ^^;

Wehrwolf said:
But the real question, is who is going to buy the official cushions and towel?:

Selvaria cushion Actually disappointed in the art they used for it..

Alicia cushion Alicia running, gun in hand

Towel No characters, just the crest of Gallia on it. Course, I don't have a habit of buying anime towels, but would've been disappointing if I was ^^;

Even as an anime fan, I'd have to say those cushions and towels don't seem all that attractive.

They need to make those full-sized ones with the half-naked (or completely naked) girls that otaku nuts sleep with.

radiantdreamer said:
Even as an anime fan, I'd have to say those cushions and towels don't seem all that attractive.

They need to make those full-sized ones with the half-naked (or completely naked) girls that otaku nuts sleep with.

I'm ready to buy.

Where do I point my wallet?

Ouren

I really can't stand them Anime.

Its too removed from the actual game.

Never-the-less this was my GOTY for 2008. :)

A good place for dicussion is on the sega forums. Apparently they are going to make an officially unofficial official fansite.

You guys should check it out, the forums, i mean, if you're a fan.

http://forums.sega.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Giolon

radiantdreamer said:

I like the towel for the same reason I like the shirt (and own it!) and the mug - it's not 100% obvious that it's game/anime related merchandise. Sometimes I like to have some things that don't automatically scream "ANIME NERD!". That makes it that much more awesome when somebody recognizes the reference on them.

radiantdreamer said:
Dakimakura scare me. People who buy dakimakura (and their covers) scare me. I have to applaud SEGA for keeping it (somewhat) classy.

Wehrwolf

Ouren said:
I'd say an online outlet, its hard to find in retail now.

Actually, they're not out yet; they're taking reservations until Nov.18th for release on Jan. 5th, 2010.

Most usual suspects for placesd to reserve from, CD Japan probably being one of the more well known ones that has an English-language site.

Haven't actually decided myself, my only anime pillows are Lucky Star and Haruhi related (and I missed a recent Urusei Yatsura pillow that I now regret)

Giolon said:
I like the towel for the same reason I like the shirt (and own it!) and the mug - it's not 100% obvious that it's game/anime related merchandise. Sometimes I like to have some things that don't automatically scream "ANIME NERD!". That makes it that much more awesome when somebody recognizes the reference on them.

Dakimakura scare me. People who buy dakimakura (and their covers) scare me. I have to applaud SEGA for keeping it (somewhat) classy.

You know what? I actually agree with you.
http://radiantdreamer.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/expressing-otakuism-proudly-without-looking-like-one/

But there are many many more otaku nerds out there that want Dakimakura. So since they so drastically altered the anime to be so watered-down generic, I don't see why they shouldn't do that with their merchandise either. I'm sure many of the otaku that loved the anime would love to hump Alicia or Selveria.

On another note, the towel might be a bit unstylish from a non-otaku point of view, but the mug is hardcore cool looking. :)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
I cry for you... I truly do. ;_;

Same here, I am sure a unicorn died hearing those words uttered about Valkyria.

1249782104520.jpg

Darkpen

Banned
outunderthestars said:
picked up a sealed copy at gamestop today for my first ps3 game. :)
Have fun :D

And remember, play for fun and tactics. Don't try to A-rank your missions on your first playthrough

Giolon

bernardobri said:
In other VC related stuff, Selvaria will make an appearance in VC2 as a limited DLC character.

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/207/207404/

I wouldn't mind having Selvaria as a classroom mate, though :lol

The fact that Selvaria would make a guest appearance in the game was posted on the previous page, but this does make it a little clearer how she's obtained (some sort of code in a pre-order booklet). I wonder what SEGA America will be doing to provide us with her...though personally I'd prefer that the casts of the two games not overlap inappropriately.
Let the dead stay dead

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Giolon said:
The fact that Selvaria would make a guest appearance in the game was posted on the previous page, but this does make it a little clearer how she's obtained (some sort of code in a pre-order booklet). I wonder what SEGA America will be doing to provide us with her...though personally I'd prefer that the casts of the two games not overlap inappropriately.
Let the dead stay dead

They will have her in the mutiplayer modes, it makes no sense to have her as a story character. How will they explain
her death, by saying "I survived somehow" or "I am her good twin/genetic clone."

bernardobri

Giolon said:
Let the dead stay dead

Oh sorry, didn't see the previous page :/

Regarding guest/non-canon appearances, I'm happy as long it's out of the "context". For example, I love using Navarro in U2's MP, and I don't mind seeing the SOA characters on VC as optional recruits. So using Selvaria in VC2 is not that disturbing as long she has no participation whatsover in the main storyline, like a "generic" unit.

Although, in the other hand...

It's fan-made guys, don't kill me

Darkpen said:
lol, definitely fan made. Selvaria's tits are big, but not in that way :p

With the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me.

Also having Selveria as a playable character in the main story game is okay. A guest appearance like the Skies of Arcadia cast just for the heck of it. (I mean think about it - it's a completely different universe of characters)

Chozo

Managed to finally pick this up last week, despite Gamestop's best efforts*.

At chapter 16 now. The game took a few missions to pick up steam, but since I'm a tabletop wargamer once it picked up it got its hooks in me pretty bad. You know it's a good game when you're thinking about how to get through a mission you're stuck on even when you're not playing it.

And once I got
the smoke rounds for the Edelweiss
the Cygnar player in me had a joygasm.

So, uh...yeah. Postcount++ I guess.

Okay, this isn't entirely fair on my part. The Gamestop that I bought my PS3 from had been robbed by teenagers**, and the kids had apparently lifted all the copies of VC in the process.

One of the teenagers was a 13 year-old on parole. Fuck this stupid podunk town.

Top Bottom