• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
you ever get the feeling that you can predict a script entirely off the scene, order of character appearance and the look of the characters?

JudgeN

radiantdreamer said:
ss5407.jpg

fuck, uni-boob. :lol

Thanks god, the tits are BACK :lol

Giolon

Lain said:
I like the designs, but wouldn't it be better to post them into a VC2 thread? It would get more exposure.

I've tried. All my VC2 threads have been a failure. People keep posting new VC2 threads every time there's a bit of new information anyway. I'd rather be able to see everything more or less together. I'm willing to try to go gather up everything that's been posted so far and make an "official" pre-release thread if I had any sort of inkling that people would be interested in using it. But hey, people are at least talking about Valkyria Chronicles in here again now aren't they? :D

Baha said:
Evilheart eh? She sounds trustworthy.
Of course she is! Why, I'd even give her my social security number! Just look at those big blue eyes!

Paracelsus

Pandaman said:
you ever get the feeling that you can predict a script entirely off the scene, order of character appearance and the look of the characters?

I don't know about that, but I totally guessed Juliana was some sort of class rep, way before watching her clip on the VC2 site (I don't know Japanese, but my good guess is that she states she's the class rep (iincho) of the best class in the academy, or some shiz like that).

Giolon

"Behind Her Blue Flame" is excellent. It's got 4 missions (really 1 mission that leads to one of two other missions depending on how you play it, and then 1 bonus mission for getting an A in all 3 other missions), and you play on the Empire and get to learn a bit more about Selvaria and one of the Aces that you probably ruthlessly murdered in your main campaign.

I haven't bought the others, but a friend of mine bought the EX Hard mode pack. It adds a new difficulty level to all the skirmishes where you don't get a tank, the goal is generally to get Welkin to an endpoint, and the difficulty level is off the charts. It seems like you basically have to abuse overpowered potentials like Invincibility on that one Engineer to win.

I don't have "Enter the Edy Detachment" because I loathe Edy. Loathe. I hear it is a single mission with several different endings based on what actions you take during the mission.

Durante

Giolon said:
I don't have "Enter the Edy Detachment" because I loathe Edy. Loathe.
How come you've got such strong feelings about that? As far as I can remember she doesn't even do anything of consequence during the main game :lol

I guess you're not looking forward to "Challenges from Team Edy" then.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Psychotext said:
Anyone got any opinions on the DLC? Looking to buy some of it and I'm wondering what's good / not.

Didn't care much for Enter The Edy Detachment, it's a mission set on the level where you do Largo's optional mission (i.e. the veggie farm), you have a limited number of characters and no calling medics. It's got multiple endings based upon what grade you get during the mission, and enemies respawn frequently... it's really pretty difficult.

The Selvaria missions are really good, though. I am up to the final one (where you get a fully powered up Selvaria), it's packed with content for your $$, and it presents an interesting look at characters on the side of the Empire.

Giolon

Durante said:
How come you've got such strong feelings about that? As far as I can remember she doesn't even do anything of consequence during the main game :lol

I guess you're not looking forward to "Challenges from Team Edy" then.

I don't know why people love Edy. Every word that comes out of her mouth is annoying and self-centered. Her personal bio confirms this. Plus, she has Rosie Hater! You don't get to hate Rosie and still be in my squad.

And I actually am looking forward to "Challenges from Team Edy", given that there's basically a special mission for each class in there. I mostly didn't get "Enter the Edy Detachment" because the content didn't sound worth it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Yuriana (Juliana?) Evilheart (ユリアナ・エーベルハルト)

Rich Girl Persona? Check. Very High Socks? Check. Large boobs? Check.

Looks like the Japanese have another girl to fawn all over until they find out she is an evil two-dimensional bitch who is just there for eye candy.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yuriana (Juliana?) Evilheart (ユリアナ・エーベルハルト)

Rich Girl Persona? Check. Very High Socks? Check. Large boobs? Check.

Looks like the Japanese have another girl to fawn all over until they find out she is an evil two-dimensional bitch who is just there for eye candy.
But of course. Did you expect anything more after everything we've seen of the direction SEGA decided to go with the setting, style, and previously revealed character designs? It's got "textbook" written all over it. The only thing I'm hoping for at this point is that I'll be able to let this sequel exist without tarnishing my love of the original. I've already resigned myself to the reality that SEGA seems to have removed every aspect from the original that I cherished. Everything else about it I'm just going with an "it is what it is" approach.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
But of course. Did you expect anything more after everything we've seen of the direction SEGA decided to go with the setting, style, and previously revealed character designs? It's got "textbook" written all over it. The only thing I'm hoping for at this point is that I'll be able to let this sequel exist without tarnishing my love of the original. I've already resigned myself to the reality that SEGA seems to have removed every aspect from the original that I cherished. Everything else about it I'm just going with an "it is what it is" approach.

It's not even that, my post was me lashing out at the shitty treatment Selvaria got in Valkyria Chronicles.

There is no doubt this girl will be treated as equally bad in the narrative, fool me one shame on you SEGA, fool me twice shame on me.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
It's not even that, my post was me lashing out at the shitty treatment Selvaria got in Valkyria Chronicles.

There is no doubt this girl will be treated as equally bad in the narrative, fool me one shame on you SEGA, fool me twice shame on me.
There is that too. I could write a whole essay on what I hoped to get from SEGA with Selvaria versus what we actually got. There were some aspects of Selvaria that I liked, but for the most part she fit too neatly into anime stereotypes, and didn't get nearly the character development she needed or deserved to stand out from those tropes. The DLC helped her a little, but not nearly enough.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
when it comes out that evilheart nurses kittens back to health in her spare time, you guys are going to feel bad.

Dyno

McNum said:
Oh, after hitting 11, my troops got some new toys. Are they any good??

They're very good. Just keep upgrading them along with the rest of your gear. VC has no problem giving away lots of money, especially with the side missions and extra pages you buy from the newspaper girl.

The scout's rifle grenade is basically a one-shot kill for standing troops while the flamethrower can be a one-shot kill for crouching troops. Use them often.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
There is that too. I could write a whole essay on what I hoped to get from SEGA with Selvaria versus what we actually got. There were some aspects of Selvaria that I liked, but for the most part she fit too neatly into anime stereotypes, and didn't get nearly the character development she needed or deserved to stand out from those tropes. The DLC helped her a little, but not nearly enough.

I agree, especially in terms of being let down on expectations.

Pandaman said:
when it comes out that evilheart nurses kittens back to health in her spare time, you guys are going to feel bad.

Probably, but then they would probably fit her into a stupid personality type that Japan likes, like "Tsundere."

Then we will get golden quotes like "It is not like I wanted to help you."

radiantdreamer said:
ARTBOOK!!11! WHERE IS IT!?!!????

FUUUUUU~!!!!!

Seriously, where is it??? :(

patsu

Dyno said:
They're very good. Just keep upgrading them along with the rest of your gear. VC has no problem giving away lots of money, especially with the side missions and extra pages you buy from the newspaper girl.

The scout's rifle grenade is basically a one-shot kill for standing troops while the flamethrower can be a one-shot kill for crouching troops. Use them often.

For some reason, I didn't know I get new weapons after LVL 11. Completed the game without using them except for the last mission ^_^

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hcoregamer00 said:
Probably, but then they would probably fit her into a stupid personality type that Japan likes, like "Tsundere."

Then we will get golden quotes like "It is not like I wanted to help you."
We all know you're Tsundere for Tsunderes Hcoregamer.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
radiantdreamer said:
Hey! I like em too sometimes!

Winner of this year's Saimoe is my favorite Taiga!
I hereby propose that:
kuudere > yandere > tsundere.
with Yangire leading the pack as a special guest contestant.

[yandere > tsundere only as long as you shut up and do what your phone tells you to.]

McNum

Well, I think I'm getting closer to the end, except I doubt this is the final battle, despite what the game tries to say. It's chapter 15, which looks awfully like a Star Fox 64 level in the preview. Obviously spoilers ahead.

It's not the final mission, because Maximillian was gloating over his new superweapon. He's going to use it, and there'll be a few missions where I fight that.

Story wise, I saw the big twist coming:
Alicia is a Valkyria. Called it! She walked like a mysterious waif, talked like a mysterious waif, and wouldn't you know it, she was a mysterious waif. The game is named Valkyria Chronicles, it would be odd if I didn't get one on my side at some point. The mission where you see her in action is just cool. It's nice to be on the side with a Valkyria for once. And then she passes out and two supertanks ambush me. I was wondering where the game's vicious streak had gone.

I see she gained the "Valkyria" potential. "Gains the awesome power of the Valkyria at half HP". Please tell me it means what I think it means. Shooting at Alicia suddenly became a really bad idea. I kind of doubt it'll be with blue flame and laser lance, but I get the feeling that she's going to be pretty tough now. As if she needed that, she's the best Scout by far before becoming a Valkyria.

I do have a request for the game: STOP SHOOTING THE FEMALE LEADS! Rosie should start being really nervous come cutscene time now...

That was a lot of spoiler. Seriously, don't read it unless you've passed mission 14. I think I'm getting the hang of it now. The game is a lot deeper than it looked. While you probably can get through it playing safe and advancing carefully from cover to cover, it's not really the best way to play. Gutsy tactics and order-abuse gets you much further, much faster in the game. Some times, you just have to trust that it'll work, and it usually does. And if in doubt, 3 CP for a Mortar strike is a great opener on an entrenched pack of enemies. Probably overkill, but I kind of like it, and it works.

Well, gotta play some more later. This is still a seriously fun game. It's almost a shame that I'm getting close to the end.

McNum said:
Well, I think I'm getting closer to the end, except I doubt this is the final battle, despite what the game tries to say. It's chapter 15, which looks awfully like a Star Fox 64 level in the preview. Obviously spoilers ahead.

Well, gotta play some more later. This is still a seriously fun game. It's almost a shame that I'm getting close to the end.

Ohh no no no. You've still got a lot coming. It's not the end.

In terms of Alicia's new potential, no it's not what you think. Don't bother. It's a great ability but don't try to intentionally activate it. As is, she's an incredible scout, alongside Aika OMG.

McNum

radiantdreamer said:
Ohh no no no. You've still got a lot coming. It's not the end.

In terms of Alicia's new potential, no it's not what you think. Don't bother. It's a great ability but don't try to intentionally activate it. As is, she's an incredible scout, alongside Aika OMG.

I kind of figured. That would be stupidly overpowered if she could. (
I do hope I get to control one of them for just one turn in the final battle or something. Seeing her over the shoulder, but not being able to control her was such a tease.
) Besides, it's not like Alicia vs. Light Tank isn't a battle in her favor at this point, anyway. And yes to Aika. She the only reason Alicia doesn't outpace all the scouts, Aika can pretty much keep up. That and she's buddies with Vyse. Those two make an excellent two-man team for special tasks during the missions. Vyse's Challenge Lover potential is just awesome. A potential that increases Defense when fired upon is perfect for a Shocktrooper.

I've switched to Clip Size machineguns, because 30 shots at the same power as the two generations ago 20 shot variant gun seems like a good trade. More shots mean more headshots and a longer firing time in cover fire. Not that I don't have the cash to research all the lines now. Typical JRPG. No money in the beginning, more than you need about 2/3s through the game. Well, I probably should farm Skirmishes and complain about being too rich, though.

I get the feeling I'm kind of preaching to the choir here, though. You all know how awesome the game is, I'm just a Valkyria newbie gushing over a great game. I expected it to be good, but not this good. Why is it Sega either does really good or fail? I mean when Sega gets good, they get really good. But when they're not, they're kind of... irrelevant. Not terrible, excluding a certain Sonic game, but just plain average irrelevant. Then they pull off a Valkyria or a Skies of Arcadia or similar and show that they can when they want. I don't get Sega some times. They could be great.

Durante

McNum said:
I get the feeling I'm kind of preaching to the choir here, though. You all know how awesome the game is, I'm just a Valkyria newbie gushing over a great game. I expected it to be good, but not this good. Why is it Sega either does really good or fail?
Different teams?

McNum said:
I kind of figured. That would be stupidly overpowered if she could. (
I do hope I get to control one of them for just one turn in the final battle or something. Seeing her over the shoulder, but not being able to control her was such a tease.
) Besides, it's not like Alicia vs. Light Tank isn't a battle in her favor at this point, anyway. And yes to Aika. She the only reason Alicia doesn't outpace all the scouts, Aika can pretty much keep up. That and she's buddies with Vyse. Those two make an excellent two-man team for special tasks during the missions. Vyse's Challenge Lover potential is just awesome. A potential that increases Defense when fired upon is perfect for a Shocktrooper.

I've switched to Clip Size machineguns, because 30 shots at the same power as the two generations ago 20 shot variant gun seems like a good trade. More shots mean more headshots and a longer firing time in cover fire. Not that I don't have the cash to research all the lines now. Typical JRPG. No money in the beginning, more than you need about 2/3s through the game. Well, I probably should farm Skirmishes and complain about being too rich, though.

I don't want to spoil anything for you for Alicia, so I'll just leave it. But if you want a power run, there's a command that increases the likelihood of activating potentials to like 70% or something high, and pretty much makes Alicia unstoppable Zerg rush.

Definitely, larger clip size makes more sense in my opinion - it means higher chance of getting in more head shots, so it doesn't matter how powerful the shots are at that point. And if I recall correctly, larger clip size actually results in a higher damage output if they all hit.

I was complaining about being too rich in this game. I could afford literally everything in it after a while.

There are quite a few characters with similar potentials to Vyse.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Pandaman said:
I need an intervention or something. :\
Win.

In other news... I'm working some folks from the SEGA Boards and the Valkyria Twitter feed to get the basic design mocked out for the Valkyria Fansite. My mission to wrangle over as much of the awesome Japanese VC/VC2 Swag as possible continues, though I am still waiting to hear more word on those art books in Japan...

I'd actually like to get my hands on one of those lance necklaces or rings before anything else - the Hans plushie is also pretty awesome.

Giolon

RubyEclipse said:
Win.

In other news... I'm working some folks from the SEGA Boards and the Valkyria Twitter feed to get the basic design mocked out for the Valkyria Fansite. My mission to wrangle over as much of the awesome Japanese VC/VC2 Swag as possible continues, though I am still waiting to hear more word on those art books in Japan...

I'd actually like to get my hands on one of those lance necklaces or rings before anything else - the Hans plushie is also pretty awesome.

Anything on when the podcast with the VC2 developer interview will be released? Or is there any confirmation from you guys that VC2 will be released on digital distribution so PSP Go Owners can play it?

Also, I picked up one of those Squad 7 T-shirts from HLJ. It's awesome! I should take a pic of it on. You guys should sell these things in an online SEGA store.

Hcoregamer00

RubyEclipse said:
Win.

Thanks, I have $50 waiting to buy the artbook, all Sega has to do is to release it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
RubyEclipse said:
Win.

im also somewhat interested in those rings.

they're pretty cool.

Giolon said:
IMO, demo won't tell me much about the game except to confirm how bad the graphics look and that the gameplay is still more or less intact. I'm sure we'll have to wait until the final game is released to see just how much they have raped my favorite game world and characters.

Jesus, cry moar. Sounds like you've made your mind up anyway :lol

Really looking forward to PSP Japanese Demo week: MGS Peace Walker, Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 demos back to back! Oh shit son!

Chris R

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with the damn #12 or whatver
Alicia turns into god mode mission
Failed at it 3 or 4 times now, just can't handle the pinch that occurs after you trigger ya know :(

Thinking I might need to level up some more so all of my classes are 11+ :|

Giolon

SecretBonusPoint said:
Jesus, cry moar. Sounds like you've made your mind up anyway :lol
As much as the developers deny that they haven't watered down the game world into generic anime or turned it into Persona Chronicles with its in-school setting, everything I've seen so far seems to contradict that (Ichigo-clone, Yuriana and ??? Valkyria-slut say an extra special hello!). It's true - I'm expecting it to be terrible and expecting to hate it based on everything I've seen so far. However, that doesn't mean I won't give it a chance to change my mind once it shows up on my doorstep. I'll even own a PSP solely to play it since it's the sequel to one of my favorite games of all time, if for nothing else than because I'm curious to see how it actually turns out in person. So, you could say I'm definitely negative on what I know about the game now, but I'm slightly optimistic as to how it could turn out.

But you'd know that if you had taken any effort to read more of what I've written on the game in this thread and others than the two throwaway comments about the forthcoming demo's release in my last post. I guess making a comment about "QQ" is easier.

One fact that's undeniable though is that the graphics do look worse. You can't match the PS3's graphics with a PSP. "Good for a PSP game" != "Drop dead gorgeous watercolor style" of the first game.

Giolon

rhfb said:
I'm having quite a bit of trouble with the damn #12 or whatver
Alicia turns into god mode mission
Failed at it 3 or 4 times now, just can't handle the pinch that occurs after you trigger ya know :(

Thinking I might need to level up some more so all of my classes are 11+ :|

Leveling up a little might help (I'm pretty sure my troops were around level 15 by that time) but also
you should realize that the ambush troops don't show up until you actually capture the center camp. This means you can take the time to position your troops to be ready for them before you take the center flag.

Top Bottom