• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Durante

rykomatsu said:
i have to say this again...the ability to go to any of the cut scenes that you've seen whenever you want is a really great feature...i don't have to repeatedly save and try to remember which cutscene each save was prior to...
I'll agree again. That and the comprehensive character/weapons lists and glossary are a dream for all OCD gamers. I'll say again that all RPGs should have this, it's not even that much extra effort.

These features are a big part of the overall polish that many reviews recognize and applaud the game for.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
DoctorWho said:
AFAIK, the game doesn't ship until the 4th in NA so we won't see it till Wednesday this week.

Bingo, if someone "broke" the date, the best you can get it would be on Tuesday, which is the "release date"

:lol

Durante said:
I'll agree again. That and the comprehensive character/weapons lists and glossary are a dream for all OCD gamers. I'll say again that all RPGs should have this, it's not even that much extra effort.

These features are a big part of the overall polish that many reviews recognize and applaud the game for.

Nice, reading this is pretty sweet because it shows just how much depth the game has and how polished the development was.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Farnack said:
That liar about Zellers. >_<!
Yep, not a street dated game. Retailers and publishers need to get their act together. If they say it's gonna be the 4th then have it in store on the 4th damnit!

LiquidMetal14 said:
Yep, not a street dated game. Retailers and publishers need to get their act together. If they say it's gonna be the 4th then have it in store on the 4th damnit!

They should just release everything on Tuesday along with DVDs/Music and be done with it.

maskrider

RpgN said:
Which country are you from? If you're outside of England, this might turn bad for you. I don't have a good experience with cd-wow. I hope that was just me and you'll get the game soon.

I am from Hong Kong, I bought from them before, but this time my order is still "Pending Dispatch", don't know when they will ship my order, may be I should e-mail them.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Nice, can you give more detailed (spoiler free) impressions on the Selvaria DLC?

Total 3 maps, you play 2 maps during the first time, cleared and you unlock the 3rd map, I haven't played the 3rd map yet but the first 2 are on the battle fortress and its entrance at the border.

There is a story in the DLC for Selvaria and one of the troops, but no extra CG FMV, just a bit of boxed animations and voice overs during the intermissions.

The battles are not easy when you first play it since you need to figure out the characters and stance of the enemy troops to plan your route. There are quite a lot of destructible and non-destructible barricades that put restrictions on your path. The enemy will always call for reinforcement.

The first one took me 10 turns in 1 go, and the second one took me 18 turns with multiple reloads and stupid mistakes, 2 are for killing the ace. The second play will be much easier since now I know about the field and the enemies.

rykomatsu

maskrider said:
Total 3 maps, you play 2 maps during the first time, cleared and you unlock the 3rd map, I haven't played the 3rd map yet but the first 2 are on the battle fortress and its entrance at the border.

I thought the 2nd map is decided based on your performance on the first map...

Hcoregamer00

LiquidMetal14 said:

This has always been one of my biggest pet peeves in the gaming industry. If you have a release date on the 4th, then say it is a release date of the fourth. If companies were more forthright and said that the game was shipped on the "release day" then people would not complain.

maskrider

rykomatsu said:
I thought the 2nd map is decided based on your performance on the first map...

I thought it was opened, but I cannot play it in the 2nd round, I think your condition is right.

I got a B rank the 2nd time on the first map with 6 turns, I can save 1 or 2 if I was more aggressive. Have to try again.

edit: Got an A rank the 3rd time with 5 turns, still cannot open the 3rd map, ha ha ! Have to squeeze more.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hcoregamer00 said:
This has always been one of my biggest pet peeves in the gaming industry. If you have a release date on the 4th, then say it is a release date of the fourth. If companies were more forthright and said that the game was shipped on the "release day" then people would not complain.
Or never mention these ship dates. Or do like the other guy said and have it on Tuesdays like DVD/CD releases.

Durante

There's a new review up by a site I didn't even know existed, Wonderwallweb.
http://wonderwallweb.com/article-511-Valkyria-Chronicles.html

"Valkyria Chronicles is a excellent game, the way that the story and action fuse together is very impressive, as is the overall presentation. It looks fantastic, plays well and tells a wonderful story of one countries fight for survival against the odds. This is one game I would highly recommend for any PS3 owner looking for something different."

Tempy said:
So what are the conditions for the medals to be earned?
I could post the conditions for those I've earned so far, but I'm sure someone has a full list.

Durante

BlazingDarkness said:
some choice quotes there for the OP ;)
Look into the OP, they were already there :p

Still, I look forward to making the "1UP calls 98% of GAF morons!" thread a month or so after release.

Durante

I'm 18 hours in now and I'm just amazed at how the battles all feel very different from each other, and how they still continue to introduce new tactical elements (
I just got smoke shells for my mortar
)

Facism said:
oohh god fuck Hans
:lol

neight

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Just to say I'm not one of those morons, I fully plan to buy and love this game when I can get some actual cash flow going.
Steal money from your mom if you have to! First month sales matter the most so if you can't buy it then then don't bother! :p

Achtius

Durante said:
Or mug an old lady! :lol

But seriously, while first month sales matter most, all sales matter so just get it whenever you can.

Everyone buys it 10 days after launch and refund after 29 days! :D That should help with the first month sale. :lol J/k.

But seriously, get this game and keep it.

Durante

OMFG!

Those assholes!
They killed off Isara! How could they! :..(
Do NOT read this spoiler unless you reached chapter 12.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
Look into the OP, they were already there :p

Still, I look forward to making the "1UP calls 98% of GAF morons!" thread a month or so after release.

Why not do it now when it is fresh?

Nothing is more irritating when someone posts an old review as "news"

Durante said:
Or mug an old lady! :lol

But seriously, while first month sales matter most, all sales matter so just get it whenever you can.

First month sales matter if it is indicative of a trend that will follow in the next couple of months. What we should care about are the first month + next two months.

If the game starts off selling like shit, it will continue later on. If it sells bad, but sells good later on, it could be good word of mouth.

RpgN

Durante said:
There's a new review up by a site I didn't even know existed, Wonderwallweb.
http://wonderwallweb.com/article-511-Valkyria-Chronicles.html

Excellent...

insertsimpsonpic.jpg

I swear if someone gives a rate lower than an 8, I'm gonna have to kill someone!

I'm finally into the meat of the game by having access to a headquarter and a skirmish mission. The first skirmish mission is the same one from the demo, only there is no tank from an enemy. I got my first A there :D And I like the way you upgrade your weapons and tank. Whoever said he didn't like how the units level up, should be shot down! It's brilliant you maggots! Level up for each class doesn't make a difference if you don't use someone, you pick someone who you prefer by their personality and nature. Each untit can get a different special potential which is nice. You also can equip individual unit with a special weapon. I have Aika in my team, and Edy. Oh, and I like that gay man, was he called Jann?

Hcoregamer00

neight said:
Steal money from your mom if you have to! First month sales matter the most so if you can't buy it then then don't bother! :p

I disagree, first month sales do matter, but what matters overall are the sales of the first three months of release.

Valkyria may sell November, but if it continues to sell in December and January then Sega may have a Sleeper hit. If it sells well in November, and continues to very well in December, and then it continues in January, Sega has a Huge hit.

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:
OMFG!

Those assholes!
They killed off Isara! How could they! :..(
Do NOT read this spoiler unless you reached chapter 12.

Yeah. Though, a lot of jgaf hated her anyway and found her annoying. Also, with how the chapters are laid out, it was a bit foreshadowed anyway :/

Hcoregamer00

Well, it is better to do it now than to do it later, because doing it later reeks of desperation.

Yeah, or as you said, not doing it at all.

Durante

kiryogi said:
Yeah. Though, a lot of jgaf hated her anyway and found her annoying. Also, with how the chapters are laid out, it was a bit foreshadowed anyway :/
If that's the case then a lot of jgaf sucks :p. Looking back it was foreshadowed a bit, but it still took me completely by surprise. I never expected them to just go ahead and kill off a main character like that.

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:
If that's the case then a lot of jgaf sucks :p. Looking back it was foreshadowed a bit, but it still took me completely by surprise. I never expected them to just go ahead and kill off a main character like that.

Haha, if you check it, they were all cheering praises of joy once that happened. :lol I knew it was gonna happen, so it wasn't as much of a surprise but. It was still hard to swallow.

neight

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I disagree, first month sales do matter, but what matters overall are the sales of the first three months of release.

Valkyria may sell November, but if it continues to sell in December and January then Sega may have a Sleeper hit. If it sells well in November, and continues to very well in December, and then it continues in January, Sega has a Huge hit.
Of course all sales matter cumulative but first month sales are an indicator of how successful the game is going to be. Very rarely do succeeding months match fist month sales.

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
I am not even going to bother in those comments.

Freaking people spoiling the game :lol
Hey, I gave an explicit warning in addition to marking it as a spoiler. What more can I do?

It's really somthing I couldn't not post about.

Hcoregamer00

neight said:
Of course all sales matter cumulative but first month sales are an indicator of how successful the game is going to be. Very rarely do succeeding months match fist month sales.

I don't mean that, I was pointing out that trends are a far better indicator than first month sales.

There is a reason why people say a game has "legs."

It is much better if Valkyria sells consistently average for 14 months, rather than selling extremely well in November and falling off a rock in December.

Durante

I wouldn't expect VC to have any significant legs beyond December. Even that would surprise me. Despite its uniqueness and high quality it's still an anime-styled SRPG. That's just not the kind of title that sells over a long period.

kiryogi said:
Haha, if you check it, they were all cheering praises of joy once that happened. :lol
Assholes. Really, how could anyone dislike Isara. Poor Isara ... :(

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:
I wouldn't expect VC to have any significant legs beyond December. Even that would surprise me. Despite its uniqueness and high quality it's still an anime-styled SRPG. That's just not the kind of title that sells over a long period.

Assholes. Really, how could anyone dislike Isara. Poor Isara ... :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11043490&postcount=228

and actually. I think some of the hate now looking back was also on GFaqs.

Hcoregamer00

durante said:

I don't expect Valkyria to sell well at all, so add me to the skeptic list.

Although deep down inside I am hoping that a AAA exclusive RPG should get some legs from word of mouth and the lack of quality RPG's on the system.

If 12,000 Phoenix Wright fans can sell 100,000 copies of the game, we can do much better than that for Valkyria.

Durante

kiryogi said:
and actually. I think some of the hate now looking back was also on GFaqs.
Ugh. He wants the game to be "more epic"?

And calling Isara "useless" is just dumb. She basically carries the whole racism theme, which is probably the most important sub-plot of the game.

Relatedly, I'm really happy with how they treat that topic in VC. It's a lot more mature than, say,
the usual "Tales of ..." treatment, by actually having racists on your own "good" side and exploring the reasons behind it.

neight

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
There is a reason why people say a game has "legs."
Yea and those games still sold their best in their first month. Mario Galaxy and No More Heroes were games that had 'legs' and sold their best in the first month.

soldat7

Surprisingly, I enjoyed the demo. I'm usually not a fan of this genre but this is one that I might have to pick up.

The engine is wonderful and I can't wait to see it used in other games (hopefully). How varied are the environments? Are there night missions? Weather?

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:
Ugh. He wants the game to be "more epic"?

And calling Isara "useless" is just dumb. She basically carries the whole racism theme, which is probably the most important sub-plot of the game.

Relatedly, I'm really happy with how they treat that topic in VC. It's a lot more mature than, say,
the usual "Tales of ..." treatment, by actually having racists on your own "good" side and exploring the reasons behind it.

He's not off about the epic. IMO, Isara's death was the highest point of the game. I stated before that the game sorta beats around the bush with the actual plot in the early run

Hcoregamer00

neight said:
Yea and those games still sold their best in their first month. Mario Galaxy and No More Heroes were games that had 'legs' and sold their best in the first month.

Not necessarily, look at Animal Crossing, Brain Age, Mario Kart DS, and Phoenix Wright.

They were all games where the initial sales were under 20% of the LTD sales. Those are games that really have legs.

Mario Galaxy didn't have legs the same way that those games did.

Durante

soldat7 said:
The engine is wonderful and I can't wait to see it used in other games (hopefully). How varied are the environments? Are there night missions? Weather?
The environments, terrain and objectives is extremely varied, no two missions feel the same. There are night missions and some tactically significant weather effects, like sandstorms for example.

Top Bottom