• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

neight

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Not necessarily, look at Animal Crossing, Brain Age, Mario Kart DS, and Phoenix Wright.

They were all games where the initial sales were under 20% of the LTD sales. Those are games that really have legs.

Mario Galaxy didn't have legs the same way that those games did.
No you're misunderstanding. I'm not talking about first month sales vs. LTD. I'm talking about 1st month sales used as an indicator of how successful the product is going to be in its lifetime. Which is how it's generally done.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
soldat7 said:
Surprisingly, I enjoyed the demo. I'm usually not a fan of this genre but this is one that I might have to pick up.

Well, hopefully you enjoy your stay because the genre has a lot of good games.

neight said:
No you're misunderstanding. I'm not talking about first month sales vs. LTD. I'm talking about 1st month sales used as an indicator of how successful the product is going to be in its lifetime. Which is how it's generally done.

No, you are misunderstanding my point.

When a game has "legs" it sells consistently well after the initial sales.

The games you mentioned are an indicator of games that sell well initially and fall off a rock after that compared to other games that continue to sell well (games with legs) through word of mouth and a strong community presence.

With games that that, it is hard to say that first month sales are indicative of anything.

soldat7

Durante said:
The environments, terrain and objectives is extremely varied, no two missions feel the same. There are night missions and some tactically significant weather effects, like sandstorms for example.

You're not helping my current financial situation here...

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
The environments, terrain and objectives is extremely varied, no two missions feel the same. There are night missions and some tactically significant weather effects, like sandstorms for example.

So basically the game is how a good SPRG SHOULD be like.

soldat7 said:

You don't need to buy it now, just buy it later down the line.

Be one of the people to give this game 'legs'

neight

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
No, you are misunderstanding my point.

When a game has "legs" it sells consistently well after the initial sales.

The games you mentioned are an indicator of games that sell well initially and fall off a rock after that compared to other games that continue to sell well (games with legs) through word of mouth and a strong community presence.

With games that that, it is hard to say that first month sales are indicative of anything.
No you're still misunderstanding. I'm not saying games 'fall off a rock'. This is how things work. The 1st month sales are usually its biggest month. Then in the succeeding months it will usually sell in relation to its 1st month sales although not as big as its first month sales in each succeeding month.

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
True, but none of them play quite like Valkyria. So it's not surprising to see many people comment that they don't usually enjoy the genre but like VC (or liked the demo, in which case they should love the full game).

soldat7 said:
I'm not your financial advisor, I'm trying to be your game advisor :lol

But seriously, I just can't imagine anyone that liked the demo not loving the full game. It offers such a wealth of tactical and strategical choices and objectives compared to the demo.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I hope the game sells well, I'm not that interested in game sales usually, but I thought it was a bad omen when I wentto the store onlaunch day and the shelves were filled with Fallout 3 and I didn't see Valkyria Chronicles until I went to the till and saw a copy on the shelves at the back. There was only one gamebox facing the customers as well so its not like it was very promiment. Basically the only people who will be buying it are people like us who know about it and go looking for it.

It will get almost no shelf presence to get any mindshare from other consumers. Shame really.

Gameplay question: is there any point to exploring the maps? Like are there any bonuses or secrets? I've been sorely tempted at times but yielded no results. Is the best bet just to go for the enemy and forget about exploration aspect?

I just thought, because its an RPG/FPS/strategy game, exploration plus location based advantages/rewards would make sense. Like a gun turret if you explore and find a good vantage point or a treasure of some kind, an exp/damage boost if a certain class finds and attacks from a certain location i.e. sniper from a window/hilltop - things like that.

I've only just started the game, but I am warming myself up for what looks like a great story/game. I have areal soft spot for this kind of atmosphere and the whole epic stories within a war thing.

Hcoregamer00

neight said:
No you're still misunderstanding. I'm not saying games 'fall off a rock'. This is how things work. The 1st month sales are usually its biggest month. Then in the succeeding months it will usually sell in relation to its 1st months sales although not as big as its first month sales.

Again look at look at Animal Crossing, Brain Age, Mario Kart DS, and Phoenix Wright.

These are games that showed that initial sales are poor indicators of future sales. What is a good indicator of sales is not the first month sales, but it is the trend of sales that comes from the first couple of months.

The sales trend is the most important thing.

Durante said:
True, but none of them play quite like Valkyria. So it's not surprising to see many people comment that they don't usually enjoy the genre but like VC (or liked the demo, in which case they should love the full game).

True, but like a truly amazing experience I hope it opens the door to other games.

Kind of like how Halo and Goldeneye got legions of console gamers into FPS games.

Decado

Hcoregamer00 said:
Does it? The last one (at least on home consoles) I can think of is Final Fantasy Tactics. Otherwise it has been one of the the most disappointing genres of the last decade.

Hcoregamer00

Decado said:
Does it? The last one (at least on home consoles) I can think of is Final Fantasy Tactics. Otherwise it has been one of the the most disappointing genres of the last decade.

Damn, and here I was going to recommend Jeanne D'arc and Wild Arms XF.

neight

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Again look at look at Animal Crossing, Brain Age, Mario Kart DS, and Phoenix Wright.

These are games that showed that initial sales are poor indicators of future sales. What is a good indicator of sales is not the first month sales, but it is the trend of sales that comes from the first couple of months.

The sales trend is the most important thing.
*sigh* Even those games prove what I'm saying you're just not understanding.

Look at Mario Kart DS's sales.

Week 1 192,307
Week 2 131,918
Week 3 107,464
Week 4 138,445
Week 5 167,683
Week 6 198,307
Week 7 58,832
Week 8 37,639
Week 9 33,269
Week 10 29,746

Do you see how its first month sales were the highest but then it gradually declined after that? It still had a very good LTD which its first month sales (and IP) was a good indicator it would have.

Durante

Do we really need to discuss sales of other games in this thread? Well, I hope you all get the game on the 4th so you have something more interesting to talk about :p

kaizoku said:
Gameplay question: is there any point to exploring the maps? Like are there any bonuses or secrets? I've been sorely tempted at times but yielded no results. Is the best bet just to go for the enemy and forget about exploration aspect?
Actually, there are. There are specific named enemies ("enemy aces") hidden on some maps, which drop unique weapons when you kill them.

kaizoku said:
I just thought, because its an RPG/FPS/strategy game, exploration plus location based advantages/rewards would make sense. Like a gun turret if you explore and find a good vantage point or a treasure of some kind, an exp/damage boost if a certain class finds and attacks from a certain location i.e. sniper from a window/hilltop - things like that.
There actually are such places, but it's character-dependent. For examples, many snipers have a trait that allows them to do extra damage from high positions, like the observation towers on some maps. Some stormtroopers get a bonus when fighting from cover, like a barrier or trench. Still other characters get upped/lowered stats in some specific environment (eg "desert bred" or "pollen allergy" (;)) traits).

I love how this game allows me to answer almost all questions affirmatively :D

Hcoregamer00

neight said:
*sigh* Even those games prove what I'm saying you're just not understanding.

Look at Mario Kart DS's sales.

Week 1 192,307
Week 2 131,918
Week 3 107,464
Week 4 138,445
Week 5 167,683
Week 6 198,307
Week 7 58,832
Week 8 37,639
Week 9 33,269
Week 10 29,746

Do you see how its first month sales were the highest but then it gradually declined after that? It still had a very good LTD which its first month sales (and IP) was a good indicator it would have.

Thanks for proving my point

First 4 weeks - 570,134
Next 4 weeks - 282,461

You dont give any other pertinent data after that, give the first 18 or 24 weeks. Then you will see my point of a trend.

Volcynika said:
And Disgaea!

Why would I do that?

Durante said:
Do we really need to discuss sales of other games in this thread? Well, I hope you all get the game on the 4th so you have something more interesting to talk about :p

Until we get the game, we can talk about subjects pertaining to Valkyria, like its horrible future sales, etc.

So deal with it until then.

:p

neight

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Thanks for proving my point

First 4 weeks - 570,134
Next 4 weeks - 282,461

You dont give any other pertinent data after that, give the first 18 or 24 weeks. Then you will see my point of a trend.
*slams head on keyboard* I give up.

btw it's not just me saying this if you pay attention to game sales and what the companies say of it you'll see that they pay special attention to 1st month sales too.

MoxManiac

Enjoyed the demo. Would pick up day one if i wasn't flat broke and had a backlog. Will definitely buy in the future, though.

Hcoregamer00

Volcynika said:
I want to do an all-sniper run if possible after at least beating the game once! :eek:

And I like Disgaea :(

Why stop at an all-sniper run?

Also you said beating the game ONCE, you should beat the game multiple times until you get so sick of it you will post so much Valkyria hate in the post-mortem thread.

MoxManiac said:
Enjoyed the demo. Would pick up day one if i wasn't flat broke and had a backlog. Will definitely buy in the future, though.

You better

rykomatsu

Volcynika said:
I want to do an all-sniper run if possible after at least beating the game once! :eek:

It's not impossible....well...actually a couple of the missions might be thinking back on it...

Volcynika

Hcoregamer00 said:
Why stop at an all-sniper run?

Also you said beating the game ONCE, you should beat the game multiple times until you get so sick of it you will post so much Valkyria hate in the post-mortem thread.

Well, that's one of my main goals to pull off an all-sniper run at least before I lose track of things. I aim to go through it a couple times, also hoping that Sega decides to bring over the DLC. It looks to be one of the single-player games that can hold my attention as long as a good multiplayer one though!

I just can't wait for Thursday, it'll be Valkyria + Left 4 Dead action all day!

Yeah, I bet some missions are close to impossible for snipers only (most likely), but I'll use them when I can.

Hcoregamer00

rykomatsu said:
It's not impossible....well...actually a couple of the missions might be thinking back on it...

Let him dream, do you want to be the person who crushes someones hopes and dreams?

Volcynika said:
Well, that's one of my main goals to pull off an all-sniper run at least before I lose track of things. I aim to go through it a couple times, also hoping that Sega decides to bring over the DLC. It looks to be one of the single-player games that can hold my attention as long as a good multiplayer one though!

I just can't wait for Thursday, it'll be Valkyria + Left 4 Dead action all day!

Yeah, I bet some missions are close to impossible for snipers only (most likely), but I'll use them when I can.

Yeah, the DLC will definitely add more life to the Valkyria saga. Hopefully it makes its way here.

I would say the same thing, but my combination is Valkyria + HSG: Out of bounds. I have the JPN version of HSG, but at $20 how could I not double dip on this awesome game?

Durante

Volcynika said:

Actually, on the map I just played I killed 5 enemy units over the course of 2 turns with just my sniper (this was als the first time that I had no other choice than to avoid a group of enemies rather than kill them).

103d0mq.jpg

But an all-sniper run is impossible, because some missions require you to destroy tanks and killing those with snipers would take a lot more than the 20 turn maximum :lol

Volcynika

Durante said:
Actually, on the map I just played I killed 5 enemy units over the course of 2 turns with just my sniper (this was als the first time that I had no other choice than to avoid a group of enemies rather than kill them).

But an all-sniper run is impossible, because some missions require you to destroy tanks and killing those with snipers would take a lot more than the 20 turn maximum :lol

Aww, well I'll just skip those missions then!

Hcoregamer00

Volcynika said:

Nooooo!!! You already faltered in your goals.

What next, you will give up being a lawyer because it takes 25 turns instead of the 20 required to beat the Bar Exam?

MoxManiac

Just heard that circuit city is having this on sale for $45 on 11/9 or something? I might be able to swing for that. This is normally 60, right?

Volcynika

Hcoregamer00 said:
Nooooo!!! You already faltered in your goals.

What next, you will give up being a lawyer because it takes 25 turns instead of the 20 required to beat the Bar Exam?

Then by god, I will find a sniper bullet that can destroy a tank!

Durante

Volcynika said:
Snipering also isn't much fun in the first few missions, since your equipment/sniper level is so low that you have to get rather close to make sure to hit a headshot.

It does get extremely fun some way into the game when you can reliably pick off enemies from halfway across the battlefield though :D

Volcynika

Durante said:
Snipering also isn't much fun in the first few missions, since your equipment/sniper level is so low that you have to get rather close to make sure to hit a headshot.

It does get extremely fun some way into the game when you can reliably pick off enemies from halfway across the battlefield though :D

YES

Baha

Has anybody compared the loads times with and w/o the install? I know the disc loads fast enough w/o it but I wouldn't mind using the install if it's significantly faster.

Baha said:
Has anybody compared the loads times with and w/o the install? I know the disc loads fast enough w/o it but I wouldn't mind using the install if it's significantly faster.

Install is optionally on this game?

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
Let him dream, do you want to be the person who crushes someones hopes and dreams?

sure...i go about my life trying to make stranger's lives miserable by doing subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) things :p if crushing someone's hopes and dreams is one way of doing that, i'm all for it :)

rykomatsu

Volcynika said:
Then by god, I will find a sniper bullet that can destroy a tank!

well i suppose if the tank has an HP remaining of 1 and you're standing behind its power generator then...well that'll do the trick...one sniper bullet then kaboom...

i think?

Durante

Baha said:
I just installed it first thing, so I can't tell you. As a PC gamer at heart I always install when given half a chance :lol

DoctorWho said:
Install is optionally on this game?
Durante said:
  • Optional 4GB HDD installation, though "the disk load times were fine as they were" (nofi).
I specifically put that into the OP because it's one of the questions that is always asked at least 5 times in any thread about a PS3 game that uses the HDD :p

Durante said:
Actually, there are. There are specific named enemies ("enemy aces") hidden on some maps, which drop unique weapons when you kill them.

That's what it was. I was wondering why I got some weapons from the enemy after battle, I didn't put it together with the 'aces'.

Ha, 7 chapters in I only just realised that the weapon upgrade trees scroll down.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally preordered this. Too good of a deal on Amazon. Couple of bucks cheaper than normal, $10 gift card with preorders, and I had a $10 off Amazon coupon I've been looking to redeem for a few weeks now.

But of course, this means I won't get it day 1. :(

mjc

MoxManiac said:
Just heard that circuit city is having this on sale for $45 on 11/9 or something? I might be able to swing for that. This is normally 60, right?

I didn't see anything in my local ad today.

Baha

Bad news, when I went to pay off my preorder today, EB told me the game would be out on Nov. 11th and not 4th. And they wouldn't break the 'street date'.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuck :(

[edit]Canada, I hope they're wrong

Durante

Baha said:
Bad news, when I went to pay off my preorder today, EB told me the game would be out on Nov. 11th and not 4th. And they wouldn't break the 'street date'.
Hmm, Nov. 11th was the original NA date before it was moved up a week. I hope for you that they're wrong. It would be strange if it were moved back again so close to the date -- I don't believe it contains any religiously inspired lyrics :p

Fine

I'd be completely hyped, along with the rest of you... if I owned a PS3. But since I don't, I'm trying my best to ignore Valkyria Chronicles. It's so right up my alley that I'll be depressed if I learn any more about it (and can't purchase it).

jmonteiro

Mejilan said:
Finally preordered this. Too good of a deal on Amazon. Couple of bucks cheaper than normal, $10 gift card with preorders, and I had a $10 off Amazon coupon I've been looking to redeem for a few weeks now.

Yeah, same here. I need to wait until Friday :(

jmonteiro

Baha said:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuck :(

[edit]Canada, I hope they're wrong

Initially the game was supposed to come out on Nov 11 but they changed the release date to Nov 4. Maybe that store doesn't know about the new date yet?

Huggers

This game is incredible. I can't stop playing it. The characters, story, combat, visual design, score, graphics are all top notch. I love it

GPsych

Fine said:
I'd be completely hyped, along with the rest of you... if I owned a PS3. But since I don't, I'm trying my best to ignore Valkyria Chronicles. It's so right up my alley that I'll be depressed if I learn any more about it (and can't purchase it).

Well, you could purchase it. You just can't play it.

ianp622

Mejilan said:

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to save it for a Christmas present for me anyway (says the atheist), so I'm not worried about not getting it ASAP.

Top Bottom