• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Zen

Banned
I'm going to have to get this game, I just wish taht it had some mode of Online, or a 2 player local versus, or something.

Or heck, even a 'create an environment/challenge that can be shared with other players'.

maskrider

Zen said:
I'm going to have to get this game, I just wish taht it had some mode of Online, or a 2 player local versus, or something.

Or heck, even a 'create an environment/challenge that can be shared with other players'.

If enough people buy this gem of a game, then the sequel will have those things.

Zen

Banned
I hope that enough people do, though hasn't it only sold like 125k in Japan? They must make much bigger profit margins over there per unit. I mean Yakuza sells nothing elsewere and they keep making what must be a very expensive game for a fanbase that is around 500k or so.

Anyway, yeah, I can already say that this game needs and deserves a sequel, based off of the demo.

Durante

McBradders said:
I'm having so much fun with it, I suck at strategies, but damn, this game is awesome.
I fully agree that this game is awesome, but if you really suck at strategies you could get some problems in a few of the later chapters ;)

maskrider said:
edit: This post is related to the Selvaria DLC of the Japanese version.
I hope Sega releases all the DLC in NA and EU at some point. I don't see why they wouldn't, the profit margin should be pretty high on that.

maskrider

Durante said:
I hope Sega releases all the DLC in NA and EU at some point. I don't see why they wouldn't, the profit margin should be pretty high on that.

So do I, that's why I ordered the UK version. At least I should be able to use Entropay to get the DLCs.

I was going to try to hold off on getting this until the end of this month/beginning of December, but after seeing the $10 gift card offer, I couldn't wait anymore. I haven't used my Amazon Prime free trial yet, so I went ahead and did that so I could get the 2-day shipping.

God, I really can't wait for this game. A PS3 game that I'm REALLY excited about playing. I can't wait! :D

SOLDIER

Quick question: What's the name of the battle track from the PSN demo? The one where it's your turn, not the enemy's theme?

RpgN

The Hug Dog said:
This game is incredible. I can't stop playing it. The characters, story, combat, visual design, score, graphics are all top notch. I love it

Same here. It's really REALLY good. Like a classic and one that will be remembered for a a long time. Seriously, when is the last SRPG to change the genre like Valkyria Chronicles? FFT? Ogre Battle? Disgea? They're almost the same.

It's all what I have expected and much much more. Crazy, since I was pretty hyped after playing the demo. It's probably my favourite ps3 game along with Uncharted, Heavenly Sword etc. Though they're all perfect (almost) so it's hard to be 100% sure which is your fav. It's just that Valkyria Chronicles is more my kind of game and gets my tactical nerd googles on :D

It makes me sad to know that the game might perform less stellar sales-wise. If a game like Tales of Vesperia can't make the top 10 and managed to sell about 70k for now, there is little hope for VC. It's less popular and people talk less about it. Hopefully with the amount of praise and positve reviews it's getting (especially from casual sites as well), will garner enough word of mouth. Come on, get the legs longer!

MoxManiac said:
So I understand beeeep are playable? Are they hard to get?

Just as Durante said, you get them pretty much from the start. I'm over 5 hours in the game and just got the last bunch of them. Though one of them isn't really playable by you, but you'll see that one often and it's a nice alternative.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mejilan said:
Finally preordered this. Too good of a deal on Amazon. Couple of bucks cheaper than normal, $10 gift card with preorders, and I had a $10 off Amazon coupon I've been looking to redeem for a few weeks now.

But of course, this means I won't get it day 1. :(

Nice to see you on board :D

jmonteiro

drtomoe123 said:
Should I feel horribly stupid if I suck at the demo? :(

I think the demo is pretty easy. I played through it a few times and never had any problems. What is the problem for you?

jmonteiro

RpgN said:
It makes me sad to know that the game might perform less stellar sales-wise. If a game like Tales of Vesperia can't make the top 10 and managed to sell about 70k for now, there is little hope for VC. It's less popular and people talk less about it. Hopefully with the amount of praise and positve reviews it's getting (especially from casual sites as well), will garner enough word of mouth. Come on, get the legs longer!

Me too :( This game will suffer even more the ToV since it's coming out right after LBP and at the same time as R2 (to name just 2 of the dozens of games coming out this Fall).

Well, I think that lots of it has to do with the fact that every time I have a turn, I have the bad habit of running too far out of that starting area, and everyone gets shot and killed.

I think I just wasn't paying enough attention to the classes in the game and getting used to the cover system.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hcoregamer00 said:
Nice to see you on board :D

I was on board from the words, "Skies of Arcadia."
I just don't really participate much in official threads pre-release.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
What are the odds of this being one of those games that becomes uber rare in a year? I kinda want this game but I don't plan to own a PS3 for a long time. I might pick it up and toss it in my closet so I don't have to spend >$100 on eBay in the future.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
In case it wasn't mentioned, Circuit City is selling this for $45 starting November 9. Plan accordingly.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
jmonteiro said:
Me too :( This game will suffer even more the ToV since it's coming out right after LBP and at the same time as R2 (to name just 2 of the dozens of games coming out this Fall).

The comparison it a little different than Vesperia.

First off, the game has better buzz than the demo of Vesperia. When people first played the demo, many were underwhelmed and they later found out about the high quality game during the official thread. Secondly, Vesperia was released on a console that has a fairly good lineup of Japanese RPG's, the PS3 on the other hand is completely barren on exclusive high quality JRPG's.

I do agree that they are going up against PS3 juggernauts that will easily eclipse it, but it is not right to compare it to Vesperia when they have completely different situations.

SOLDIER

Wario64 said:
In case it wasn't mentioned, Circuit City is selling this for $45 starting November 9. Plan accordingly.

Really? Is this all CC's or YMMV? Why Sunday?

I want this game but I'm willing to wait it out if this is official.

whatdidyousay said:
Anybody know if the difficulty is adjustable? I have no shame--I'd play it on Easy.
You can play the skirmish missions on easy. I don't think the main story has any difficulty settings.

Vito

Banned
Hm, any chance one of you nice US people can hook me up with the Valkyria GS preorder artbook?

PS: The Hut in UK has Valkyria back in stock for 28 GBP which is the same as 45 USD :lol

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
The comparison it a little different than Vesperia.

First off, the game has better buzz than the demo of Vesperia. When people first played the demo, many were underwhelmed and they later found out about the high quality game during the official thread. Secondly, Vesperia was released on a console that has a fairly good lineup of Japanese RPG's, the PS3 on the other hand is completely barren on exclusive high quality JRPG's.

I do agree that they are going up against PS3 juggernauts that will easily eclipse it, but it is not right to compare it to Vesperia when they have completely different situations.

Wether it has more buzz here or not, it's not going to mean anything if people don't talk about it. I went to several NL forums and started to make discussions about the game, you have no idea how hard it is to get people interested. Tales of Versperia doesn't have this issue. There is talk and many supporters. Your second point can be seen as a negative point as well. The xbox has established itsef as the rpg console unlike the ps3. RPG fans imigrate to the xbox 360 and the ps3 has yet to proven itself as the system seller with rpgs. Tales of Versperia was also released in a month where it had no competitors and dozens of good games released at that timeframe.

I know it's not far to compare VC with TOV, but they give us an indication of what to expect. VC has the edge of getting better reviews and released almost at the same time in US and EU. We'll see how it will fare. I hope for the best.

jorma

is now taking requests
Ok i got this game in the post on friday and got to chapter 12 or so during the weekend.

Story isn't much, but fine for a jrpg. And ok - maybe there are a few too many cutscenes (like 4-8 cutscenes for every scenario), but the rest of this game is so very awesome it could very well be my GOTY. I don't remember having more fun with a game this year anyway.

I hope this sells enough in the west to warrant lots of DLC and a sequel. And i think it will, not much competition in this genre on the PS3 atm.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Just reached the bit where they join the military and visit HQ etc. Sweet!

all my squad has personalities and voice acting?! oh wow, how to choose. do they all have their own mini stories depending on who I pick in my squad as well?

I take it back, the voice acting for the English in this game is top notch. They clearly hired good talent for the Japanese one, and the english does a very good job as well. Shows what a difference it makes when you hire actual acting talent.

Sephon

+1 Sale

Couldn't resist after seeing all the praise it got from GAF and reviewers.
Strategy isn't normally my forte since I get easily frustrated when I suck, but when it all comes together it makes it worth all the frustration.

SOLDIER

Thanks. This song's been playing in my head for weeks after the demo, and I hope there's only more where it came from.

Also, I hope there's more than one battle theme. :(

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Durante said:
I fully agree that this game is awesome, but if you really suck at strategies you could get some problems in a few of the later chapters ;)

Okay, so after my first failed mission last night, my one beef with the game came to light...

...lack of intel pre-mission. It's great to say "Oh here are some enemy camps, let's do this!" but even a very cursory idea of the terrain and even incorrect enemy troop information would prevent my blind stumble in to chaos last night. I dunno if you can do it in game once you're in a battle, but the fact I can't really get a good feel for the theater before I charge headlong in to battle is kinda... irritating.

Sending scouts out is okay, but one wrong turn can have them down to half health really, really fast. It's a minor grumble at best, the game is amazing, but I'm not looking forward to having to stumble through encounters to refine my strategies rather than doing it on the fly without extreme punishment :(

AniHawk

This will probably be my first and only PS3 game until the system is reasonably priced. Wanna make sure I pick it up in case it becomes hard to find.

McBradders

maskrider said:
Forgot which stage already, you will be able to acquire in-battle intel order later on.

Oh thank fuck. My "Side rush" tactic was severely hampered when I realised there were TWO avenues of kicking ass on my current mission, by the time I'd set up a defense on my flank my tank was toast and it was time for bed :lol

Should ace it no worries tonight :D

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I find this game really hard :lol I am usually pretty good with tactical games like Advance Wars but I've failed multiple times on the earlier missions, like the one where you first get the tank and you have to wiat for it to arrive, Died a few times on that, really tricky trying to block off the oncoming attacks without your guys getting rained on by enemy fire.

cant wait to go back and play some more though.

McBradders

kaizoku said:
I find this game really hard :lol I am usually pretty good with tactical games like Advance Wars but I've failed multiple times on the earlier missions, like the one where you first get the tank and you have to wiat for it to arrive, Died a few times on that, really tricky trying to block off the oncoming attacks without your guys getting rained on by enemy fire.

It's really not like most SRPG's, it very much has its own ebb and flow and once you're used to it you'll be golden. Not "finish every mission first time", but at least appreciate and improve upon your mistakes.

RpgN

kaizoku said:

You use one of your scouts (Alicia in that case) to go to the right side and spot enemies. Use most of the CP on her to kill some enemies. I killed 3 with her. Then go back to your base and stand between the right side and your base a little. Send your 2 scouts on the left side. Let them crouch in the second wall thing and let one of them use a grenade to blast the third wall thing. This is where your enemy will come and will be hard to hit if you don't destroy it. Now watch as they come and your scouts kill them one after another except for 1 or 2. Try to kill the rest of them in your second turn and heal the injured one. Then try to run back to your base as fast as possible, because if you don't they'll get killed by the light tank. And watch as Welkin saves the day :D

Good luck! If you need more help, just ask ;)

EDIT:

I'm not sure if you finished this mission or not. That was my strategy. Try to use your surroundings in this game and being stealthy kind of helps. Scouts are more helpful than you might think.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
amazon said:
Top Seller Games in PlayStation 3

›See more (Updated hourly)
1. Resistance 2 Resistance 2 by Sony Computer Entertainment $59.99
2. Resistance Resistance: Fall Of Man by Sony Computer Entertainment $29.99 $19.99
3. LittleBigPlanet LittleBigPlanet by Sony Computer Entertainment $59.99
4. Fallout 3 Fallout 3 by Bethesda $59.99
5. Call of Duty Call of Duty: World at War by Activision Inc. $59.99
6. Valkyria Chronicles Valkyria Chronicles by Sega Of America, Inc. $59.99 $56.99
7. Resistance 2 Resistance 2 Collector's Edition by Sony Computer Entertainment $79.99

this mean a lot of pre orded on amazon since it's more than R2 CE , nice to see PS3 owners buying good exclusive games ( poor Folklore :( ) .

Top Bottom