• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
every game with lot's of amounts of text has spelling erors like that. i think your being too harsh.
I hate you.

pseudocaesar said:
Every Jrpg ever made has little spelling mistakes. Get over it.
Lies.

Seriously though just because it is common shouldn't mean it is acceptable. Every week we have some thread asking "Why come our games aren't been took serious? They's just as gud as books!"

Jive Turkey said:
I hate you.

Lies.

Seriously though just because it is common shouldn't mean it is acceptable. Every week we have some thread asking "Why come our games aren't been took serious? They's just as gud as books!"

Guess wat?

Books have errors too.

doh.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
NinjaFusion said:
Guess wat?

Books have errors too.

doh.
They do. However when was the last time you read "May I borrow you are car?" in a book?

But yeah you guys are right. We should defend poor grammar. That'll help things improve.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Darkpen said:
Are you seriously getting hung up over that or something?
No...I just think it's a shame to have such a stupid error in such a fantastic game. Seriously a first grader could have caught that.

RpgN

Jive Turkey said:
No...I just think it's a shame to have such a stupid error in such a fantastic game. Seriously a first grader could have caught that.

It is a shame to have such a grammar error on a game like that, you are right there. But the way you are pointing out faults, it's like you're showing this game has the worst writing which is far from that. Compared to other games its writing is decent and translated well, but yes, having such errors is a shame. I remember laughing at FFVII grammar errors, and Ring of Red didn't make much sense even though there were hardly any grammar errors :lol

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
RpgN said:
It is a shame to have such a grammar error on a game like that, you are right there. But the way you are pointing out faults, it's like you're showing this game has the worst writing which is far from that. Compared to other games its writing is decent and translated well, but yes, having such errors is a shame. I remember laughing at FFVII grammar errors, and Ring of Red didn't make much sense even though there were hardly any grammar errors :lol
Oh no the writing is truly terrible. Or more specifically the dialogue. Still no amount of groan-worthy dialogue could cause me to dislike the gameplay. So good.

Yeah I know I'm being overly critical but I tend to do that with things I really enjoy.

Just beat Mission 14, I think it was. Naggiar. Man, that was a bitch at first. Managed to scrape by with a B ranking and one CP used on my 5th turn on Part 2. No idea what's required for A rank. I guess 3 or 4 turns?

Koren

The Blue Jihad said:
Just beat Mission 14, I think it was. Naggiar. Man, that was a bitch at first. Managed to scrape by with a B ranking and one CP used on my 5th turn on Part 2. No idea what's required for A rank. I guess 3 or 4 turns?
3 turns IIRC. Not sure if it can be done in 2, probably not (I should check). There's a very cheap & easy way to do it in 3 turns, though.

Jive Turkey said:
They do. However when was the last time you read "May I borrow you are car?" in a book?

But yeah you guys are right. We should defend poor grammar. That'll help things improve.

Shit, read the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. Then come talk to me about grammar in popular books.

Darkpen

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
Oh no the writing is truly terrible. Or more specifically the dialogue. Still no amount of groan-worthy dialogue could cause me to dislike the gameplay. So good.

Yeah I know I'm being overly critical but I tend to do that with things I really enjoy.
Seriously? I found the writing, dialogue, and voice acting to be very much enjoyable. Maybe you should check out Star Ocean 4 or something :/

leroidys

Darkpen said:
Seriously? I found the writing, dialogue, and voice acting to be very much enjoyable. Maybe you should check out Star Ocean 4 or something :/

I'm playing through the game now and really enjoying it, but this was one thing that really threw me after reading its praises on gaf... the dialog is embarrassingly bad. The voice actors do a pretty good job, but the lines are just the most stilted, predictable crap this side of dragonball z.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
gregor7777 said:
Shit, read the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. Then come talk to me about grammar in popular books.
Chronicles of What by Roger Who? I'm talking about reputable authors from real publishers. I honestly don't care that ulillillia's The Legend of the Ten Elemental Masters may be filled with poor grammar too.

Darkpen said:
When did I say I disliked the voice acting? If anything I felt a bit sorry for the actors having to do their best with that script.

leroidys said:
I'm playing through the game now and really enjoying it, but this was one thing that really threw me after reading its praises on gaf... the dialog is embarrassingly bad. The voice actors do a pretty good job, but the lines are just the most stilted, predictable crap this side of dragonball z.
EXACTLY!

EDIT: After doing a little research...gregor don't recommend me books.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Well
Selvaria
just went supernova. I like how that explained what happened in the desert around Barious.

Hey is there a reason I'm getting the reports so late? I'm buying them as soon as they become available but it's kind of strange that I'm getting them out of order. For exmple I just got "Signs of Awakening" midway through chapter 15.

duckroll

Valkyria definitely has very poor editing. The editing isn't just poor because of the mistakes which aren't caught, but it's generally a bad read. The writing does not feel very natural and leaves much of the dialogue feeling literal and boring. I wasn't a big fan of the voice direction either. It's probably one of the poorer localization efforts I've played in a long time, especially for a game I enjoyed so much.

I don't see the point in defending it just because you happen to like the game. The standard of localization in Valkyria is lower than average in today's standards, and defending it will not help or motivate Sega to improve on it at all. If that's what you guys want then I guess that's good and all. Lowered expectations, etc. I would personally prefer for good games to have great localizations and great games to have excellent localizations. A higher standard of presentation in a native language can make even an average game seem better than it is, so why short change good games with substandard presentation?

ymmv

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
Chronicles of What by Roger Who? I'm talking about reputable authors from real publishers. I honestly don't care that ulillillia's The Legend of the Ten Elemental Masters may be filled with poor grammar too.

EDIT: After doing a little research...gregor don't recommend me books.

You're trying hard to make a fool of yourself. Roger Zelazny was one of the best SF/fantasy authors of the 60/70ies and wrote a whole bunch of classics. He won 6 Hugo Awards, 3 Nebula Awards and 2 Locus Awards in his heyday. Lord of Light is a must-read classic in the field.

bon

duckroll said:
Valkyria definitely has very poor editing. The editing isn't just poor because of the mistakes which aren't caught, but it's generally a bad read. The writing does not feel very natural and leaves much of the dialogue feeling literal and boring. I wasn't a big fan of the voice direction either. It's probably one of the poorer localization efforts I've played in a long time, especially for a game I enjoyed so much.

I don't see the point in defending it just because you happen to like the game. The standard of localization in Valkyria is lower than average in today's standards, and defending it will not help or motivate Sega to improve on it at all. If that's what you guys want then I guess that's good and all. Lowered expectations, etc. I would personally prefer for good games to have great localizations and great games to have excellent localizations. A higher standard of presentation in a native language can make even an average game seem better than it is, so why short change good games with substandard presentation?
but what if I genuinely like the writing and acting?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks duckroll. You said what I was trying much more eloquently than I could.

ymmv said:
You're trying hard to make a fool of yourself. Roger Zelazny was one of the best SF/fantasy authors of the 60/70ies and wrote a whole bunch of classics. He won 6 Hugo Awards, 3 Nebula Awards and 2 Locus Awards in his heyday. Lord of Light is a must-read classic in the field.
Never heard of him until today which is pretty impressive since I'm a fairly avid reader. Then again I don't read much fantasy or scifi outside of the classics. However the excerpts I read while looking him up were...Unimpressive. Interesting concepts but the composition left a lot to be desired. Hell didn't Orson Scott Card win back to back Hugos too? I have yet to read anything by him that I truly enjoyed.

Still back on topic...Defending poor grammar/spelling/editing because you like the overall product is asinine.

KtSlime

Jive Turkey: For a person who critiques other's grammar, you seem to make quite a few mistakes yourself. You may want to use verbs in your sentences. Sentence fragments are not acceptable in the English language. Oh, I also noticed that you are sometimes missing a subject, and most importantly you quite frequently forget to use your relative pronouns. You may want to invest in an English manual.

*This post has grammatical errors too, probably <-like this one.*

duckroll said:

My eyes began to sparkle as I shouted gleefully "I agree! I agree!"

Point taken, and well written. :)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit! My friend Patrick played both Leon and Jaeger. I really need to give him a call. I had no idea he did a voice for this.

ivedoneyourmom said:
Jive Turkey: For a person who critiques other's grammar, you seem to make quite a few mistakes yourself. You may want to use verbs in your sentences. Sentence fragments are not acceptable in the English language. Oh, I also noticed that you are sometimes missing a subject, and most importantly you quite frequently forget to use your relative pronouns. You may want to invest in an English manual.

*This post has grammatical errors too, probably <-like this one.*
I also don't use commas. This is a forum post...I don't care if any of this is 100% grammatically correct. There's a big difference between a hastily written forum post and a published work. And where did I omit a verb?

But you are absolutely right. Attacking me will make the writing in Valkyria Chronicles less terrible.

Ronok

Does anyone know why the old guy the war cemetery has gone senile on me? The first time I visited he offered me Retreat, but I had 0 exp left so I had to refuse it. Since then he just speaks to me about his old age... It's been like 4-5 chapters since then. :'( I've done a few searches on this and haven't found a good reason why he doesn't like me anymore. :(

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Ronok said:
Does anyone know why the old guy the war cemetery has gone senile on me? The first time I visited he offered me Retreat, but I had 0 exp left so I had to refuse it. Since then he just speaks to me about his old age... It's been like 4-5 chapters since then. :'( I've done a few searches on this and haven't found a good reason why he doesn't like me anymore. :(
He does that. Like you I couldn't "buy" Retreat when he first offered it and he didn't offer again for a couple chapters. Don't know what if anything triggers him to offer to teach you.

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
That's already been established
Yep because on GAF if you suggest a game isn't perfect you're trolling.

Himajin

Seriously, getting upset about the occasional spelling mistake is pretty pedantic.
Even classic authors and poets (and their editors) left spelling mistakes in their work from time to time, but that doesn't make their words any less important.

I found VC to have a pretty competent translation overall, if a little over earnest at times.

what I can't believe is we're still talking about this. omg.

So Jive Turkey thinks the grammar sucks, and everyone is basically just saying "shut up and just play the damn game."

End of story, really.

NOW WHERE IS MY ARTBOOK?

Manus

Okay just picked this up on Black Friday and got around to playing it. Does the game get more involved later on?

I mean, I've done 3 chapters and only 3 parts have been playable. It just seems like a playable story so far.

Giolon

SquirrelNuckle said:
Okay just picked this up on Black Friday and got around to playing it. Does the game get more involved later on?

I mean, I've done 3 chapters and only 3 parts have been playable. It just seems like a playable story so far.
Yes. You're in tutorial land still (and will be for approx 2-3 more missions). As it goes, most chapters have one playable mission, though some have two. Rest assured, they will get longer, more complicated, and more involved.

As for being a playable story, have you never played an RPG before? :lol Congrats on picking this up!

Effect

From what I can tell from the demo it seems like a pretty good game. Did it simply not sell enough and that is why the sequel is being put on the PSP?

Just picked it up for $19.59 via Cyber Monday. I TOLD YOU PEOPLE I'D BE BACK ONCE THE GAME GOT UNDER $30! MUWHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHA!!!!
Effect said:
From what I can tell from the demo it seems like a pretty good game. Did it simply not sell enough and that is why the sequel is being put on the PSP?
Lowered-Expectations-Prius.jpg

duckroll

Where do the Valkyria fans generally talk about Valkyria 2 on GAF? This thread seems to have taken a turn for the worse, and I can't seem to find a particularly active VC2 specific thread. There are some new things to discuss and I don't know where to put it! Don't wanna make a new thread just for it. :(

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
duckroll said:
Where do the Valkyria fans generally talk about Valkyria 2 on GAF? This thread seems to have taken a turn for the worse, and I can't seem to find a particularly active VC2 specific thread. There are some new things to discuss and I don't know where to put it! Don't wanna make a new thread just for it. :(

I talked some VC2 on this topic, but... How about an official thread for VC2? :)

duckroll

bernardobri said:
I talked some VC2 on this topic, but... How about an official thread for VC2? :)

Maybe someone can make an official information thread for it? I dunno, I'm not really feeling up to it myself, I just want to discuss about some of the gameplay changes in the sequel. :/

Mainly how there's now a detailed movie showing the class upgrade path for Scouts: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20091130_332430.html

If you notice, Snipers are no longer a class on their own. From a base Scout, you can either upgrade into an advanced scout or a sniper. From an advanced scout, you either upgrade to a master scout (highest movement unit), or a heavy scout (rifle grenade). From a sniper, you can either upgrade to a master sniper (rapid fire sniper rifle) or an anti-tank sniper (sniper rifle with anti-tank rounds LOL).

That's a pretty major structural change to the class dynamics of the original... :eek:

BTW the Install option... worth it? My HDD has 160+ GB of free space so it won't break me, but I don't see the point unless the benefit is noticeable.

Also I used to post in here alot for someone who did not own the game. Played the Demo extensively and was involved the the whole "price" debate and well as the anime "debate" (upgraded ballistics!!).

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
duckroll said:
Maybe someone can make an official information thread for it? I dunno, I'm not really feeling up to it myself, I just want to discuss about some of the gameplay changes in the sequel. :/

Mainly how there's now a detailed movie showing the class upgrade path for Scouts: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20091130_332430.html

If you notice, Snipers are no longer a class on their own. From a base Scout, you can either upgrade into an advanced scout or a sniper. From an advanced scout, you either upgrade to a master scout (highest movement unit), or a heavy scout (rifle grenade). From a sniper, you can either upgrade to a master sniper (rapid fire sniper rifle) or an anti-tank sniper (sniper rifle with anti-tank rounds LOL).

That's a pretty major structural change to the class dynamics of the original... :eek:

Seems like the Engineer class is not the only one who changed in a drastic way.

Also, anyone knows what relevance has the "Moral system" on the gameplay?

duckroll

bernardobri said:
Seems like the Engineer class is not the only one who changed in a drastic way.

Also, anyone knows what relevance has the "Moral system" on the gameplay?

No idea about the moral system. Haven't really read up that much on the game.

There are now only 4 base classes - Scout, Shocktrooper, Lancer and Engineer. But each of the base classes will have an expansion tree similar to the Scout class. We've already seen the armored troopers: http://valkyria2.jp/mov_battle05.html which are a heavy armored version of the engineers. For the record, they're not actually "engineers" in Japanese, but a general support class.

So basically VC2 will have many more classes (and variations in existing classes) than VC1 did, but less base classes. I think that makes it pretty interesting.

ilbambino

duckroll said:
No idea about the moral system. Haven't really read up that much on the game.

There are now only 4 base classes - Scout, Shocktrooper, Lancer and Engineer. But each of the base classes will have an expansion tree similar to the Scout class. We've already seen the armored troopers: http://valkyria2.jp/mov_battle05.html which are a heavy armored version of the engineers. For the record, they're not actually "engineers" in Japanese, but a general support class.

So basically VC2 will have many more classes (and variations in existing classes) than VC1 did, but less base classes. I think that makes it pretty interesting.

I didnt found the engineer and sniper classes worthwhile on the first game. This change sounds like giving more deep to the classes system, which in my opinion is a very good thing.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
The Frankman said:
Weird. I just re-read through 30 pages full of "INSTALL INSTALL OMG 15-second cutscenes!!" In the end I said oh well eff it, I got tons of space.
I do think if you have the space installing is the way to go. It just didn't cut down the loading nearly as much as I thought it would(should).

Top Bottom