• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

jump_button said:
wait for it.....

500x_valkal.jpg

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/211/211433/

so_much_win.png

Baha

So I'm guessing you'll get to play as
anime version Alicia too? Besides being younger and the character portrait I wonder if there'll be any skill difference between her and the older Alicia.

Giolon

That picture could be considered spoilers for the first game you know...

Anyhow I'm torn. On the one hand, it does make me happy to see those two, especially looking a little older and more mature. On the other hand, I feel like this is at least partially contradictory to the Epilogue in the first game. Admittedly, there's no timeframe listed on the epilogue, but
it certainly was of the "and they lived happily ever after" variety.
. Hard to imagine that if there's a civil war going on just 2 years after the first game, AND they're even remotely involved.

Edit: Ironic spoiler tagging fail, eh? Especially when complaining about picture spoilers.
/wrist

Virro

Giolon said:
but
it certainly was of the "and they lived happily ever after" variety.
. Hard to imagine that if there's a civil war going on just 2 years after the first game, AND they're even remotely involved.

Thanks for ruining the game for me.

Girsej

Hmmm,
I'd think it's before the epilogue in VC or else they're retconning like crazy

Dammit, now I just have to buy it >_< I'm happy it's on a plattform I own, hoping it'll sell well enough to get another entry on the Ps3, my hands hurt when I play PSP for a long period of time >_<

McNum

And I'm through. Game Clear. 41 hours 18 minutes.

What a nice little gem of a game. Unique gameplay, beautiful art, great music, and a decent story, too. I have to say it's one of the best games I've played in a while. And now it's done. A pity. I wanted more. Ah well, there's always the DLC packs. The Selvaria one is tempting. The Edy one, not so much.

I'm really impressed with the gameplay, an unholy mismatch of turn based strategy, third person shooter and JRPG. It really shouldn't work as well as it does. It even handles wildly different scenarios pretty well. Skirmishes, bosses, big bosses, chases, ambushes, and so on. I've fought it all and the system never broke down. It's hard to exploit, and the computer fights fair, if a little stupid at times. The game isn't easy, but I managed to get through with no permanent casualties. Some KOs, yes, but Medic needs to work for her pay, too.

The story even managed to surprise me a few times. Ending spoilers:
Alicia is a Valkyria. Called it. Cordelia is a Darcsen? Not so much. Maximillian becoming an artificial Valkyria? I should have seen it coming, but no. Ms. Ellet is Irene Koller? Didn't see that, and she'd been narrating the entire game. The book you help fund is the one you're reading. Welkin and Alicia marrying and having a daughter named Isara was a nice touch.

I also spotted a third Skies of Arcadia cameo in the game. Vyse and Aika are obvious, but did you guys notice Fina? Look at Medic's hairstyle, and then read her bio. She's actually a set of triplets name Mina, Gina and... Fina. Makes sense that the RPG character with the single best healing move (Lunar Light) in any RPG I've played would cameo as a medic.

Finally, I'm going to say something really cheesy, so bear with me. It's very fitting that the song of the game is called "A Love Passed On". I mean look at this thread. I'll happily admit that it was the sheer enthusiasm of the players in this thread that made me check out the game. And now I share that enthusiasm. This game has a contagious charm. If you've got a PS3 (or is getting one soon) and don't have Valkyria Chronicles, you should check it out. It's pretty awesome, if a bit odd. Or maybe it's awesome because it's odd.

DemiMatt

I started playing through the game on hard last night and wow. This game is still amazingly awesome and by far my fav ps3 game. But the 1st level is just BS. Completely surrounded by guys on all sides? hahah

Ive realized in my 2nd playthrough that I mainly use the tanks for cover and smokescreen and my offense consists of scouts and sometimes shocktroopers. Ill often piggyback lancers when I get to the 2nd capture point, and if I am so fortunate as to start far away from the enemy, I have found snipers are great the 2nd time around. (didnt really like them the 1st time around bcuz they missed) But sniper are very clutch, with a unit of scouts moving aroun and attacking in groups.

Im tempted to purchase the DLC even if it like 20 bucks worth, but still this game is amazing. I might buy a PSP for 2.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
You can change Alicia and Welkin's portraits from normal...

c20091112_valkyria2_05_cs1w1_480x272.jpg

... to Anime style

c20091112_valkyria2_10_cs1w1_480x272.jpg

:lol

leroidys

I quit playing at ch7 today. Holy shit. I don't care about restarting missions a few times, but DON'T MAKE ME WATCH ALL THE CUT SCENES EVERY TIME. Its like watching a cut scene every time you fall down a whole in mario. Fuck.

leroidys said:
I quit playing at ch7 today. Holy shit. I don't care about restarting missions a few times, but DON'T MAKE ME WATCH ALL THE CUT SCENES EVERY TIME. Its like watching a cut scene every time you fall down a whole in mario. Fuck.

Were you aware you can save mid-mission? I wasn't for quite awhile.

leroidys said:
:lol No I wasn't. Thanks for that

Dude seriously yeah it was driving me crazy. I made it about to where you were and then somebody posted a thread on GAF complaining about how you can't and somebody quickly posted "uh you can".

So there you go. SEGA should have made that feature more obvious.

Giolon

McNum said:
The story even managed to surprise me a few times. Ending spoilers:
Alicia is a Valkyria. Called it. Cordelia is a Darcsen? Not so much. Maximillian becoming an artificial Valkyria? I should have seen it coming, but no. Ms. Ellet is Irene Koller? Didn't see that, and she'd been narrating the entire game. The book you help fund is the one you're reading. Welkin and Alicia marrying and having a daughter named Isara was a nice touch.
I know! Part of why I loved it so much. :)
McNum said:
I also spotted a third Skies of Arcadia cameo in the game. Vyse and Aika are obvious, but did you guys notice Fina? Look at Medic's hairstyle, and then read her bio. She's actually a set of triplets name Mina, Gina and... Fina. Makes sense that the RPG character with the single best healing move (Lunar Light) in any RPG I've played would cameo as a medic.
Just another thing that makes VC so awesome. :D

DemiMatt said:
Im tempted to purchase the DLC even if it like 20 bucks worth, but still this game is amazing. I might buy a PSP for 2.
The Selvaria DLC at least is 100% worth it.

adversesolutions said:
Dude seriously yeah it was driving me crazy. I made it about to where you were and then somebody posted a thread on GAF complaining about how you can't and somebody quickly posted "uh you can".

So there you go. SEGA should have made that feature more obvious.

Yeah... there have been more than a few people on this thread complaining about it.

Maybe this needs to be mentioned in the OP, in bold, blinking letters.

Saving Mid-battle
YES YOU CAN!

bernardobri

Speaking of the Selvaria DLC, how many hours is the average playthrough?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks GAF for making me play this.

I can't believe how similar the presentation is to Fire Emblem 9 and 10. Right down to the fonts used!

Darkman M

Recently bought this game from a fellow gaffer played to Ch.7 or 8 can't remember, but im ready to jump back into this goody hard to believe i skipped over this game for so long.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously this dialogue sucks. I knew I was in trouble when the main kid was not just talking to but having a conversation with fish and then soon after I get "...love blooms throught the flames of war." Really?

Oh and a big WTF at the pig. Was that really necessary?

Jive Turkey said:
Seriously this dialogue sucks. I knew I was in trouble when the main kid was not just talking to but having a conversation with fish and then soon after I get "...love blooms throught the flames of war." Really?

Oh and a big WTF at the pig. Was that really necessary?
Moink!!!

McNum

I've been poking the Clear save file a bit, the Music tab is pretty nice. I noticed that Sega did it again. Sqaud 7's theme is upbeat and heroic. The
Marmota
theme, the penultimate boss, is dark and foreboding, fitting a
land battleship
. But the theme played in the very final mission? Squad 7's theme at full blast an at an increased tempo. Hell yeah!

What is with Sega and this? All the 3D Sonics do it, Skies of Arcadia did it. The final boss fight plays a powered up version of the heroes' theme, not the boss' theme. And it works so well. A final battle isn't the enemy's time to shine, if he was good, he'd have avoided that battle. The final battle is where the heroes give it all and show what they're made of. This is what the rest of the game has been leading up to. So naturally we need the heroes' theme here. To me it's such a blatantly obvious thing to do, yet way too many games opt for the ominous Latin chanting or similar. I mean, I like One Winged Angel as much as any Final Fantasy fan, but I find the Sega way of final boss music much more engaging. I really felt like it was time to kick (Final Boss spoiler!)
Maximillian's Artificial Valkyria
butt in that chapter.

By the way, the ultimate save file for Valkyria Chronicles, how would that look? I noticed on a screenshot that there was an "Epilogue" save on one of them. I just got a "Clear" for competing the game. Do I need to beat a Clear file to get that save? I'd like to have a save where all missions are unlocked and replayable. That and there were a few missions giving me trouble in the first playthrough that I'd kind of like a little payback on. My Chapter 4 mission went badly. Let's see if being four times the level will change that. :D

Giolon

bernardobri said:
Anyone knows?

I got about 4 hours out of the Selvaria DLC. There's 3 regular missions then 1 bonus mission for getting an A Rank on the other three. It's worth buying for the bonus mission alone.

bernardobri

I will bite the DLC, then. The Edy one is around the same play time?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit chapter 9 sucks ass. I hate when SRPGs do this. Levels like this are usually the ones that cause me to lose interest in the game.

Siaynoqq

On chapter 6 and really loving the game so far. Two questions:

-Did you guys feel like fighting skirmishes was necessary? Do later battles become really difficult without completing some of them?

-Do you get more exp if you do a skirmish on normal rather than easy?

DR2K

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
Holy shit chapter 9 sucks ass. I hate when SRPGs do this. Levels like this are usually the ones that cause me to lose interest in the game.

If you could get through chapter 7, the rest of the game shouldn't be a problem. :lol

Chozo

Jive Turkey said:

Eh, it's not too bad. You go through it once with no luck, kick yourself, and then figure out a strategy that will end the battle in two turns.

On chapter 6 and really loving the game so far. Two questions:

-Did you guys feel like fighting skirmishes was necessary? Do later battles become really difficult without completing some of them?

-Do you get more exp if you do a skirmish on normal rather than easy?

1. Not really, but it depends on how well you do: I managed to get A ranks in many of the later missions, which give you a pretty significant exp/dct bonus.

I wound up doing a few skirmishes, but only when I wanted to/needed just a little more exp/money for what I wanted. Progression's balanced enough that you can stick to the campaign missions if you perform relatively well.

2. I'd assume so, but since the skirmishes are (from what I've played) fairly similar to their campaign counterparts and you usually unlock them well after completing the campaign version, I never bothered.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Chozo said:
Eh, it's not too bad. You go through it once with no luck, kick yourself, and then figure out a strategy that will end the battle in two turns.
That's exactly why it sucks. Missions like this are essentially designed to be played more than once to beat it.

Jive Turkey said:
That's exactly why it sucks. Missions like this are essentially designed to be played more than once to beat it.
I tried it, watched what the hell was going on, restarted, beat it in 2 turns. It was awesome!

Jive Turkey said:

The game is making you think. Just go at a slower pace and understand that dying once is probably a precondition to beating each level.

At first I had the same misgiving, but I got over it once I understood it as a condition of gameplay.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Elfforkusu said:
I tried it, watched what the hell was going on, restarted, beat it in 2 turns. It was awesome!
And therein lies the problem. The fact that you have to play it once and then restart is bad design.

adversesolutions said:
The game is making you think.
No...It's trial and error. Making me think would force me to adjust my strategy on the fly.

The Batomys made me think. This just made me start over.

zoku88

I did think Mission 7 was kinda trial and error.

But, like, it only takes the 2nd time to beat it if you're totally unprepared. Any longer than 2 and there's something wrong with you :-/ It's not really a hard mission once you know what's coming (which you find out the first time.)

Every other level is like 1 try to beat, not counting some* The game is just really easy.

Like that chase one, which I hate.

If you have to actually see most levels to be able to effectively play them on your first try, you should go with a more flexible strategy. Sure, maybe you won't A all of the maps, but who cares? It's not like you would need all of the exp anyway.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Oh God the dialogue in this game is painful. :lol

"Veggies are like bombs!"

I would have loved to seen the look on the voice actor's faces when they first read the script.

Jive Turkey said:
And therein lies the problem. The fact that you have to play it once and then restart is bad design.
Arguably. You can always win on your first try, it just might not be an A rank.

But I'll give you that I felt like a better pre-battle intelligence system would've helped the game. At least give me some insight into what might be going down...

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Elfforkusu said:
But I'll give you that I felt like a better pre-battle intelligence system would've helped the game. At least give me some insight into what might be going down...
I'll agree with that. I don't like how the first move for a new map is to get your bearings.

Not that I mind the fact that you can't see all the enimies but more for the fact that you can't always see possible routes. I don't like wasting turns only to find that the path that looked like a great alternate route is actually impassible.

Top Bottom