• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

robox

hahaha.... people talking about selveria's gigantic boobs.
i've also found it kinda odd... the kinda thing that seems to go against her character. i would've liked her more if they were more normally sized. they're kinda distracting, really.
i also don't like how in her dlc they made here all
tsundere
. that made me hate her more. if that aint anime style pandering, i don't know what else it would be.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
r - b - x said:
hahaha.... people talking about selveria's gigantic boobs.
i've also found it kinda odd... the kinda thing that seems to go against her character. i would've liked her more if they were more normally sized. they're kinda distracting, really.
i also don't like how in her dlc they made here all
tsundere
. that made me hate her more. if that aint anime style pandering, i don't know what else it would be.

I agree with you on the DLC part.

She developed well in the game, I don't see why they had to change what was already there and make her into a moeblob.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
okay, i want to order the artbook today.
but i have no idea where i can order it from. [googling import japan does not make things simple].

Can GAF help?

Alucrid

Banned
Pandaman said:
okay, i want to order the artbook today.
but i have no idea where i can order it from. [googling import japan does not make things simple].

Can GAF help?

I ended up getting mine off ebay. If you look a few pages back someone posted a site for me, but I opted not to do it since it would've been the same price more or less. Play-asia might have copies, but when I went to check they were out of them.

I was fortunate enough that a good friend of mine was in Japan for a month to do some stuff, so I had him order the artbook off bk1.jp and essentially will be getting it at cost, with free shipping too! :D :D :D
Ordered the Atelier Rorona artbook while I was at it. :D

Giolon

:D :D :D New VC DLC coming out next week:
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/02/1...yria-chronicles-dlc-4-is-releasing-next-week/

SEGA said:
The DLC features six different missions, all involving a challenge issued from the members of Edy’s Detachment. Jann will smother you with details on how to take on a slew of tanks at once in the Lancer mission, Marina will coldly cue you for an epic sniper shootout – until she sees a remarkably cute fox, at least – and Edy herself will brief you on an epic shocktrooper fight of massive proportions.

All in all, the six missions include challenging goals based on mastering the following classes:

•Scout
•Shocktrooper
•Lancer
•Engineer
•Sniper
•Tank
In addition, you aren’t limited to only using members of Edy’s Detachment! You can field any of your personal favorites from Squad 7 that you’d like to use.

The DLC will go live next Thursday, February 25th! Before then, just as with the first three batches of DLC, expect a special blog spotlight or two that will go into even more detail about what the upcoming DLC is all about!

Not a bad way to kick-start the weekend, right?

Happy Friday, Valkyria Fans!

The DLC features six different missions, all involving a challenge issued from the members of Edy’s Detachment. Jann will smother you with details on how to take on a slew of tanks at once in the Lancer mission, Marina will coldly cue you for an epic sniper shootout – until she sees a remarkably cute fox, at least – and Edy herself will brief you on an epic shocktrooper fight of massive proportions.

All in all, the six missions include challenging goals based on mastering the following classes:

•Scout
•Shocktrooper
•Lancer
•Engineer
•Sniper
•Tank
In addition, you aren’t limited to only using members of Edy’s Detachment! You can field any of your personal favorites from Squad 7 that you’d like to use.

The DLC will go live next Thursday, February 25th! Before then, just as with the first three batches of DLC, expect a special blog spotlight or two that will go into even more detail about what the upcoming DLC is all about!

Not a bad way to kick-start the weekend, right?

Happy Friday, Valkyria Fans!

WOW!! Didn't see this coming...:D

Time to play the game again.:lol :D

Ikkarus

I am looking forward to the new DLC. Any excuse to play VC again.

<3 Marina

I just hope the pricing isn't too bad and that NA and EU get the DLC on the same week.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Ikkarus said:
I am looking forward to the new DLC. Any excuse to play VC again.

<3 Marina

I just hope the pricing isn't too bad and that NA and EU get the DLC on the same week.

The price is pretty great in my opinion - you'll be able to pick up all six missions together for $4.99.

Yes, I just confirmed that first on GAF. :)

Durante

RubyEclipse said:
The price is pretty great in my opinion - you'll be able to pick up all six missions together for $4.99.

So, what does that mean in €?

Anyway, great to finally get a concrete date for the DLC, I was worried for a bit.

Durante

Curufinwe said:
Kind of a shame that they're still pumping out DLC but there's no sign of trophies being added.
They aren't really "pumping out DLC" (I wish!), just localizing a single DLC pack that was released in Japan a long time ago.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
RubyEclipse said:

happy to give you more money ruby.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, more DLC? That's friggin awesome, especially since I won't be able to play the sequel. I absolutely hate Edy's character, the obnoxious design and voice drives me crazy but thankfully my 2 favorite Squad 7 members are in her squad: Marina & Homer.

Anyways, day one. Between this and the Uncharted pack it'll be one of the best PSN weeks in awhile.

gokieks

Thrilled that it's finally about to be released.

Slightly annoyed that it'll come right on the heels of Heavy Rain... but I guess I'll just have to hold off on HR for a couple of days so I can make sure I finish the DLC first. :D

Revisting RE5 for new DLC, Revisiting VC for DLC. I like this trend, it gives me reason to come back to these games I liked.

This is how I want DLC to be handled too. Not unlocked on the Disc, not intentionally stripped out of the final product to be sold as DLC later. New content developed/added after the games release.

RpgN

That's a surprise...even though I bought all the DLCs when they first came, I still haven't tried them out. Being busy and having other games to finish from the huge backlog :( But I'll definitely get this DLC as well and find the time to play all the DLCs.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
This is how I want DLC to be handled too. Not unlocked on the Disc, not intentionally stripped out of the final product to be sold as DLC later. New content developed/added after the games release.

yeah good to see more real DLC coming out

Aurarian

Just got this yesterday at Gamestop for 20 dollars. Had to drive quite a bit to get it but from what I hear on GAF it's well worth it. Is the DLC worth getting? Also, any suggestions you guys might have for someone new to strategy games? I hear this is more a strategy-rpg, which I can handle the RPG part, but never been good with strategy titles.

Lyonaz

I owned this since launch here in Europe, but only started playing last weekend.

Totally loving the game.

The art direction is great, like playing an anime. Although this looks way better than the actual VC anime. Never understood why they changed the artstyle.

Also much LOVE for Marina Wulfstan and Selvaria Bles. My 2 favorite characters.

ronito

Starting to find minor complaints about the game.

It seems that speed is the main/possibly only thing that really matters according to rank. I've found I can be meticulous and careful and not get anyone wounded, take out all the enemy aces, destroy all their tanks, capture all the camps and get a piss poor rank. Whereas if I run in guns blazing losing people left and right, ignoring aces, camps and tanks so long as I get it done quickly I get the highest rank possible. That really irks me, seems to favor haphazard playing instead of keeping everyone alive. I know there are bonuses for keeping people alive and destroying tanks and aces, but they're still so small so as to offset the poor rank you'd get by going out of your way to do it.

The second thing is related. If I'm not mistaken, the experience given out by rank seems a conflicted design. You did a mission really well so you get more experience to level up your squad. The fact that you did really well, sorta lends to the fact that you don't really need to level up your people. If you didn't do so well (or just took your time) you get less experience, which, while I can understand in a real world point of view, sorta screws the player, if they had a genuinely difficult time giving them less experience only dooms them to do poorly again. Whereas if you had an easy time of things it allows things to get easier. Surely there must be a better way to motivate people to do better. Like maybe extra cash or something.

I might be wrong on both accounts here. But even if I'm not I'm still having too much fun to really care much about either of these.

I still haven't finished the Edy mission once, let alone started on the Selvaria or Hard Ex packs but I'll be downloading this DLC as soons as it becomes available.

Giolon

ronito said:
Starting to find minor complaints about the game.

<snip>Only thing that matters for rank is number of turns</snip>

The second thing is related. <snip>Rank determines how much XP you get, but if you are doing well you don't really need the XP as much as if you're doing poorly so it seems reversed</snip>

I might be wrong on both accounts here. But even if I'm not I'm still having too much fun to really care much about either of these.

On point one, no argument. I'd certainly consider it a flaw in the ranking system, but the ranking system doesn't affect the game much so it doesn't bother me overly so. I feel better personally keeping all my people alive while wiping out the enemy over getting an A just because I did it quickly.

On the second point, I have to take issue for two reasons. The first is that nearly all games reward those who play well better than those who play poorly. You should get a reward for doing better (in this case more XP), otherwise, why bother doing better? The other reason is that VC provides a pretty good mechanism to help along those who are having trouble and help them catch up to, or even pass up, the XP curve - these are the skirmishes. Skirmishes can be played repeatedly to earn XP for your troops to make up for any deficiences caused by poor performance in the story missions - some of them even let you earn far more XP far quicker than the campaign as well. Being able to play them repeatedly also makes it easier to experiment with different strategies, allowing players to complete them quicker, and thus earn more XP and often learning lessons or tricks that carry over to the main campaign.

As to questions on whether this week's DLC is the last one, all signs point to yes as it's the last DLC that was released in Japan in the late summer of last year. Everything is focused on VC2 now, and it looks like that's got a fair amount of DLC on its own/

ronito

Giolon said:
On point one, no argument. I'd certainly consider it a flaw in the ranking system, but the ranking system doesn't affect the game much so it doesn't bother me overly so. I feel better personally keeping all my people alive while wiping out the enemy over getting an A just because I did it quickly.

On the second point, I have to take issue for two reasons. The first is that nearly all games reward those who play well better than those who play poorly. You should get a reward for doing better (in this case more XP), otherwise, why bother doing better? The other reason is that VC provides a pretty good mechanism to help along those who are having trouble and help them catch up to, or even pass up, the XP curve - these are the skirmishes. Skirmishes can be played repeatedly to earn XP for your troops to make up for any deficiences caused by poor performance in the story missions - some of them even let you earn far more XP far quicker than the campaign as well. Being able to play them repeatedly also makes it easier to experiment with different strategies, allowing players to complete them quicker, and thus earn more XP and often learning lessons or tricks that carry over to the main campaign.

As to questions on whether this week's DLC is the last one, all signs point to yes as it's the last DLC that was released in Japan in the late summer of last year. Everything is focused on VC2 now, and it looks like that's got a fair amount of DLC on its own/
On the second point I can agree that there should be a way to reward the player for good playing but I believe it should be outside of in essence making the game easier for people who already play well and giving people that don't play well less to work with.

And the whole skirmish things still have the same point still stands. In fact, if someone wants to play all the skirmishes chances are they might already be rather good at it. People that are only average or below average players aren't likely to want to have to keep redoing skirmish after skirmish.

Giolon

ronito said:
On the second point I can agree that there should be a way to reward the player for good playing but I believe it should be outside of in essence making the game easier for people who already play well and giving people that don't play well less to work with.

And the whole skirmish things still have the same point still stands. In fact, if someone wants to play all the skirmishes chances are they might already be rather good at it. People that are only average or below average players aren't likely to want to have to keep redoing skirmish after skirmish.
As I said before, VC is not unique in this - most games work this way, particularly RPGs, but you can extend the same concept to shooters (only so much ammo and health lying around), platformers all the way back to Super Mario Bros (do well, you get big and then get fire power, suck and you stay small), etc. With a few notable exceptions, most games don't make the game easier for you if you perform poorly.

If someone doesn't want to get better, then nothing they are offered short of "Here's free XP/stuff" is going to satisfy them. The game has set forth its metric for performance (which I agree is a bad metric), and then gives you the opportunity to practice against that metric while simultaneously rewarding you for doing the practice. I can't argue for them doing much more than that aside from altering the metric.

ronito

Giolon said:
As I said before, VC is not unique in this - most games work this way, particularly RPGs, but you can extend the same concept to shooters (only so much ammo and health lying around), platformers all the way back to Super Mario Bros (do well, you get big and then get fire power, suck and you stay small), etc. With a few notable exceptions, most games don't make the game easier for you if you perform poorly.

If someone doesn't want to get better, then nothing they are offered short of "Here's free XP/stuff" is going to satisfy them. The game has set forth its metric for performance (which I agree is a bad metric), and then gives you the opportunity to practice against that metric while simultaneously rewarding you for doing the practice. I can't argue for them doing much more than that aside from altering the metric.
I guess your right, I guess having the broken metric is what bugs me. I tend to be very meticulous and careful and I keep getting penalized for it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
a tip: some of the skirmishes really are free XP. you can beat the retaking of bruel in one turn and score a decent amount of XP. so if you're in deep and need a quick grind you can always visit that mission once or twice.

also don't forget to spend your cash, weapons and armour upgrades can be more helpful when the slight hp/attack/potential buffs you'll get from leveling. especially if you're specing accuracy weapons IMO.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
New screenshots and info on this Thursday's DLC!

Finally, I beat you guys to posting something that I wrote for once. :lol

Also:

4384091492_bd8e51c865.jpg

Top Bottom