• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Durante said:
Anyway, demanding multiplayer from a console SRPG is a bit much -- I don't think a single one has ever had anything like that. And Valkyria already innovates in so many ways that it seems a bit greedy to ask for even more.

Very true, I guess we have to wait for Valkyria 2 to have mutiplayer.

Even then, I bet they can come up with more ways to make the single player mode even more engrossing.

Durante said:
True, and hopefully DLC at some point.

Yes, we really need this.

The Selvaria one seems to be well worth the hype.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd rather the boys and girls of Sega concentrate on pumping out a solid gameplay experience with a good story and characterisation, than half-ass it and try to work out multiplayer mechanics before a deadline.

Call me old fashioned because I prefer to do single player, but if I wanted to play a game online I'd be doing it with better games where multiplayer is the dedicated gameplay for it (ala Battlefield, TF2, MMOs).

Hcoregamer00

Quixzlizx said:
Admit it, you have ulterior motives here.

Whatever do you mean?

:lol

speedpop said:
I'd rather the boys and girls of Sega concentrate on pumping out a solid gameplay experience with a good story and characterisation, than half-ass it and try to work out multiplayer mechanics before a deadline.

So true, I hate when single player games are compromised for the benefit of adding multiplayer.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Bamelin said:
It's not like it would even have been hard. The game is turn based for pete's sake. Hell they could even have used the maps already in the single player campaign.

Sigh.

The whole game is built around the enemy outnumbering the good guys. For a balanced multiplayer map, the terrain has to not favor either side.

Nevermind the aforementioned different levels and inventory one can have. And by limiting multiplayer to certain set levels and inventory, you're also limiting the established mechanics. No, adding multiplayer is not SIMPLE task. The Strategy RPG genre does not normally include multiplayer for pretty good reasons.

dralla

any chance this is in stores tomorrow? I see it ships tomorrow, but when I go to pick up R2 I'd like to get this too.

Hcoregamer00

Quixzlizx said:
To be fair, I've been right click/save as'ing all of the Selvaria material I've come across. :lol

Well, looks like I have to be more conservative in the Selvaria material I post

:p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Really upsetting knowing some of you have it already! I'm going to pick up R2 CE tomorow, will check my GS and see if they ahveit.

kiryogi

Banned
Quixzlizx said:
The real question is how many on that list have played anything other than the demo.

Played JP version here! Will get US version used for cheap. or if it bombs into super cheap territory.

matmanx1

I overheard the manager talking today at Gamestop and he said Valkyria Chronicles was already on the shipping log. Now that's no guarantee that it will be in tomorrow but if it indeed has already shipped then there is the possibility that some Gamestops could be seeing VC as early as tomorrow. I sure hope mine has it!

Bust Nak

I have my copy! I played up to ch4 last night. Glorious! Such a well presented game with the panel by panel sticker book layout. Shared XP to level up every body in one class is a great idea.

maskrider

Done with Selvaria DLC (JP version), now trying to S-rank the remaining Hard-EX missions while waiting for my UK version to come (cd-wow said the shipment was delayed to 7/Nov, damn !).

RpgN

Why I agree, a game like VC isn't suited for online multiplayer gameplay at all. It doesn't sound very fun waiting for others to make their move. But I do think an online ranking would work and be awesome. You know, compare the rates you got with the rest of the world. And maybe some sort of level edit where you select an existing map and change the conditions for each player, then they both start at the same time and see who got the best rate :D

jmonteiro said:
Where in Holland? I lived in Delft for 2 years. Holland is awesome :D :D :D

In Delft, huh? That's the exact opposite where I live. (Hint, in the far east) I'm glad you liked the place.

Quixzlizx

RpgN said:
Why I agree, a game like VC isn't suited for online multiplayer gameplay at all. It doesn't sound very fun waiting for others to make their move. But I do think an online ranking would work and be awesome. You know, compare the rates you got with the rest of the world.

That sounds interesting. It would also be cool if there were stats like percentage of maps completed without losing anyone or percentage of maps completed after eliminating all enemies.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
So I got past my mission last night after refining my tactics... with a D rank.

Their sniper got some hella lucky shots :(

Hcoregamer00

maskrider said:
Done with Selvaria DLC (JP version), now trying to S-rank the remaining Hard-EX missions while waiting for my UK version to come (cd-wow said the shipment was delayed to 7/Nov, damn !).

How many missions are there overall?

Do you think it is worth the $8?

Farnack

Banned
Bamelin said:
I'm considering grabbing this, but I have to say I'm extremely dissapointed that there's no multiplayer.

A game like this seems built from the ground up for online play. Has anything been said about the possibility of online through DLC?
Wtf? Are you expecting CoD4 or some shit?

It's a freakin' SRPG. They had enough balancing to deal with in singleplayer. What makes you think that making a chess game is even remotely worth the time?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
its a plot driven turn based rpg in the guise of a strategy/fps game. its not like the strategy/combat is so good it screams for multiplayer. The main fun is from levelling up your army and making your way through the set pieces.

Both of those are eliminated in a fair multiplayer where strategy and balance are key.

This game is damn hard, maybe its cos I often restart/reset when I feel its not going my way, or if one person is downed at the start. I'm only at the start where you get your first militia mission and I keep getting killed :(

Durante

kaizoku said:
its a plot driven turn based rpg in the guise of a strategy/fps game. its not like the strategy/combat is so good it screams for multiplayer. The main fun is from levelling up your army and making your way through the set pieces.

Both of those are eliminated in a fair multiplayer where strategy and balance are key.

This game is damn hard, maybe its cos I often restart/reset when I feel its not going my way, or if one person is downed at the start. I'm only at the start where you get your first militia mission and I keep getting killed :(
I believe there's a connection between you not thinking that the strategy/combat is "so good" and you finding the game hard even at the beginning. Because this is vastly more strategical than most SRPGs, and the combat system is perhaps the best part of it. While other SRPGs often depend on stats and tricks (eg. many N1 games) or on what could be described as puzzle solving (eg. WA XF) Valkyria Chronicles lives and dies with strategy and tactics.
Think more about what you're doing, how you position your units and the overall state of the battlefield, play carefully and deliberate, make good use of your units' strengths and special features and you shouldn't have any problems.

maskrider

Hcoregamer00 said:
How many missions are there overall?

Do you think it is worth the $8?

Definitely worth it IMHO. 4 missions total (the last is an unlockable by all S ranks on the other 3).

Ruhm is a very fine weapon, but firing is not as rapid as in Selvaria's hands. But it can turn the second part of Chapter 15 into a 1 turn S rank mission in the hands of the right unit, ha ha !

Baha said:
I'm going out right now, I'll be back with a copy.

Lucky you. Amazon changed the in stock date to 11/6, so I don't know if my copy will be going out today or not. Fingers crossed. As long as it's here by this weekend it's cool, LBP has been holding me over just fine :D

msmma said:
I would never expect this game to have online multiplayer....
This game has online multiplayer??

Edit: *read earlier responses* I see. I wouldn't expect it either. :lol But you have those people who expected Mass Effect to have online MP as well.

Gamestops here in in northern CA won't be getting the game until tomorrow of course. I had this slight hope that since Sega of America is less than 1 hour away from me that I'd be able to get my hands on the game today. But I guess the games ship out from elsewhere.

I guess I could drive to SF and beg for the game outside SoA's HQ but I think playing the demo for one more day will suffice. ;_;

Baha

K got my copy. Went to EB first where I had my pre-order. All of a sudden the game doesn't have a release date and they're expecting it tomorrow so they'll sell it to me then. I cancel my pre-order, ride the street car across town and pick up a copy at GameShack. They had 2 on display when I got there, dunno if they have more behind the counter. If you're in Toronto, go to your local video game chain now, if they have it they will sell it to you.

Baha said:
K got my copy. Went to EB first where I had my pre-order. All of a sudden the game doesn't have a release date and they're expecting it tomorrow so they'll sell it to me then. I cancel my pre-order, ride the street car across town and pick up a copy at GameShack. They had 2 on display when I got there, dunno if they have more behind the counter. If you're in Toronto, go to your local video game chain now, if they have it they will sell it to you.

Thanks, I'll head out after a grab something to eat. Did you swing by Game Centre as well? I wonder if they have any more.

birdchili

DoctorWho said:
Thanks, I'll head out after a grab something to eat. Did you swing by Game Centre as well? I wonder if they have any more.
Game Centre had at least one at lunchtime today.

i really wish i could play this...

Quixzlizx

I just called the Gamestop I pre-ordered at, and they confirmed that the game won't be in until tomorrow. :(

I guess it will be Resistance 2 for me tonight.

Movement

This game is getting ton of love! 1000 posts? Holy crap I might have to Day 1 this even though I have barely scratched the surface on Fallout 3 and Little Big Planet =(

Baron

zoku88 said:
Too bad Amazon didn't do release date delivery for this.
This. I ordered a copy off Amazon yesterday - the $5 or so discount, no tax, Amazon Prime shipping, and $10 off coupon was too attractive to pass up. I downloaded and played the demo a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

Amazon is starting to piss me off with their games service. This is now the second game in a month I've ordered from them that, come release day, they don't have it in stock. I ordered the new Castlevania from them a month in advance, and three days after every store in town has it, they still didn't have the game in stock to ship to me. I wound up canceling it and going to an EB to buy it the same hour. Now the same is happening with my Valkyria order. Here it is release day, and Amazon's page lists it as out of stock and not in till later this week. Get your shit together Amazon.

Otheradam

Baron said:
This. I ordered a copy off Amazon yesterday - the $5 or so discount, no tax, Amazon Prime shipping, and $10 off coupon was too attractive to pass up. I downloaded and played the demo a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

Amazon is starting to piss me off with their games service. This is now the second game in a month I've ordered from them that, come release day, they don't have it in stock. I ordered the new Castlevania from them a month in advance, and three days after every store in town has it, they still didn't have the game in stock to ship to me. I wound up canceling it and going to an EB to buy it the same hour. Now the same is happening with my Valkyria order. Here it is release day, and Amazon's page lists it as out of stock and not in till later this week. Get your shit together Amazon.

It's not there fault with this game. The "release date" of today is actually the shipping day from Sega to stores. So most stores wont get it till tomorrow/Thursday. If you've noticed, Amazon's release date guarantee is only for games with in-store dates because those games get shipped early so they are available on the day it says.

jmonteiro

Baron said:

I'm pissed too. They don't have it until the 6th... sucks ass.

PS: Nice avatar, Nick Cave rocks :)

Owzers

by the looks of the early adds on cheapassgamer.com, this is supposed to be $44.99 at Circuit City from Nov 9-15 ad. Just a heads up.

Top Bottom