• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Baron said:
This. I ordered a copy off Amazon yesterday - the $5 or so discount, no tax, Amazon Prime shipping, and $10 off coupon was too attractive to pass up. I downloaded and played the demo a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

Amazon is starting to piss me off with their games service. This is now the second game in a month I've ordered from them that, come release day, they don't have it in stock. I ordered the new Castlevania from them a month in advance, and three days after every store in town has it, they still didn't have the game in stock to ship to me. I wound up canceling it and going to an EB to buy it the same hour. Now the same is happening with my Valkyria order. Here it is release day, and Amazon's page lists it as out of stock and not in till later this week. Get your shit together Amazon.

Good news, Amazon just put a hold on my bank account for 56.99! That means it should be shipping out today. Keep an eye out for yours.

sillymonkey321 said:
by the looks of the early adds on cheapassgamer.com, this is supposed to be $44.99 at Circuit City from Nov 9-15 ad. Just a heads up.

Wow, that's a steal. I figured it would be another $15 giftcard with purchase deal, but it looks like that will be the in-store price. Much better considering those Circuit City giftcards might not be worth anything soon :lol

Baha

K I just finished my LBP level, I'm gonna spend the rest of the day enjoying VC. It's been so long since I've played a console rpg that wasn't on a ps2 or handheld.

Considering what happened with me and EBgames, I think I'll wait until Futureshop has it in stock. That might be a week or two later... :(

At least that will give me enough time to beat Castlevania...

Gonna be checking FS stock DAILY until it arrives!

Volcynika

Woo!

Oh wait, I promised you an announcement, right? I wouldn’t let you guys down. You might have read that the Japanese folks got an extra mission and an Extra Hard skirmish mode as downloadable content.

It’s my sincere and distinct pleasure to let you know that we’re bringing those two content packs over to the US and European shores early next year. We did this to support all the fans of the game and make sure that everyone can get all the enjoyment out of the game. We hope you enjoy it!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...chronicles-shipping-out-today-dlc-on-the-way/

:D

My copy and artbook have been backordered.

Well, I still haven't finished Fallout 3 - and I still need to play LittleBigPlanet more. So, I'm fine waiting.

Katana_Strikes said:
My god this game is a tougie. CH7 was a complete bitch. Literally :(

V good game but hard.

I'm retrying that battle for a third time. It's the first fight where I have been saving after every shot, and reloading if I miss. Cheap I know, but necessary I feel.

Huggers

Die Squirrel Die said:
I'm retrying that battle for a third time. It's the first fight where I have been saving after every shot, and reloading if I miss. Cheap I know, but necessary I feel.

Hooooold on a sec, you can save mid battle??

The Hug Dog said:

Yep. You can save after every character's move if you want. Although I'd recommend having a separate battle save, from your chapter select save. While you can get back to the 'book mode' from a mid battle save, it's needlessly convoluted.

Durante

Die Squirrel Die said:
If you need to do that in chapter 7 already then I implore you to rethink your tactics, otherwise the later battles could get painful. If you don't have enough money to buy all the normal unit upgrades available to you you could also try some skirmishes.

(though the first few battles after that one get easier again in my experience, so don't worry too much)

Facism

The Hug Dog said:

up, when you're at the command screen, press triangle, choose System and then Save.

Chapter 7 was tough alright. I lost an Engineer and Shocktrooper. Barely won it because of Attack Up orders and 3 Lancers using the main target as cover from that glowing wench.

[edit]Also, fuck Hans at the beach. He's almost a shitty friend from the recent Sonic the Shytehog games.

Huggers

Die Squirrel Die said:
Yep. You can save after every character's move if you want. Although I'd recommend having a separate battle save, from your chapter select save. While you can get back to the 'book mode' from a mid battle save, it's needlessly convoluted.

I really wish I'd known this earlier! I played a fair amount of the battle in chapter 6 earlier then had to switch it off and go to work, oh well, when I retry it I should be extra efficient at the first part

Durante said:
If you need to do that in chapter 7 already then I implore you to rethink your tactics, otherwise the later battles could get painful. If you don't have enough money to buy all the normal unit upgrades available to you you could also try some skirmishes.

(though the first few battles after that one get easier again in my experience, so don't worry too much)

I've researched all the tech upgrades I can so far. It's how I judge my skirmish grinding, I play them until I have enough for all the available upgrades, then press on with the story.

I'm not sure I need to do it, to be honest. This is my third attempt, but the first two attempts failed because of dumb mistakes on my part (first time I had a poorly chosen team, the second time I positioned the Eidelweiss badly, only had one CP left and saved, then the Batomys would blow me up in one hit with its cannon, and I had no backup save). But I'm at the point where I just want to finish this battle and move on.

Durante

Die Squirrel Die said:
I've researched all the tech upgrades I can so far. It's how I judge my skirmish grinding, I play them until I have enough for all the available upgrades, then press on with the story.
Yeah, that's exactly how I am handling it, but now I have 3 unplayed skirmishes...

Die Squirrel Die said:
I'm not sure I need to do it, to be honest. This is my third attempt, but the first two attempts failed because of dumb mistakes on my part (first time I had a poorly chosen team, the second time I positioned the Eidelweiss badly, only had one CP left and saved, then the Batomys would blow me up in one hit with its cannon, and I had no backup save).
I completed that mission on my first try. However, I did lose something like 4 or 5 units the turn
the reinforcements showed up, because they had a full bar of stored up CP -- I had eliminated all of the easily killable targets early and the CPU had no way of using up his CP :lol

Durante

Die Squirrel Die said:
Quick question
When the Bartomys' radiators show, how long do they stay exposed for? Is there a time/turn limit?
I don't know, I always managed to destroy one each turn they showed up, at which point they vanish again. You should easily be able to save up enough command points in the turns when they are not exposed to do that.

Baha

Holy shit, I'm in love. The music brings back fond memories of FFT and the main character is quite likable, not emo or fighting for personal reasons. I know it's not technically impressive but the game is beautiful and has it's own charm. This game is seriously going to eat into my LBP play time, it's so good. I hope everyone in this thread gets a copy, it doesn't seem like they're shipping a lot of copies to stores.

zoku88

The only game where I've abused save is HL2, other than that, I try to minimize the saves. I don't think I've ever saved mid battle in an SRPG (unless I needed to suspend the game.)

Okay, I am seriously stuck.
Selvaria is just too strong. Plus the Batomys always seems more interested in using his back cannon to instantly kill the Eidelweiss rather than shoot his was through the walls, and expose his radiator. The only FAQ, either the person is not a native speaker, their English is not great, or they are terrible at giving clear explainations. Probably the most annoying thing about the stage is that there are no special troops to take down the enemies CP per turn. They just build up an insane amount of it. By the time Selvaria arrived they had a full go, and could just blast throughme.

I have too much of a migraine to try again tonight.

Durante

Die Squirrel Die said:
Okay, I am seriously stuck.
Selvaria is just too strong. Plus the Batomys always seems more interested in using his back cannon to instantly kill the Eidelweiss rather than shoot his was through the walls, and expose his radiator. The only FAQ, either the person is not a native speaker, their English is not great, or they are terrible at giving clear explainations.
Here's how I did it (note that it was my first try so it's unlikely to be the ideal way):
In the first two turns I killed off all the non-Batomys units using a sniper and shocktrooper that I sent up on the cliff in the back. At the same time I used the Edelweiss to start taking out cannons on the Batomys, while always making sure to end up outside its shot zone at the end of my turn and using a mechanic to keep it at full health.
Then I continued destroying turrets, and at some point the Batomys starts to expose its radiators (as long as you shoot down all the obstacles). I first destroyed the one on its left, which turns out to have been lucky since Selvaria always accompanied it on its left. I just stayed out of her sight on the other side of the Batomys and went up to destroy the other 2 radiators when I got the chance.

Hope this helps!

I took out the normal units, and the guns within a couple of turns. My biggest difficulty was in where to position my tank. Are the Batomys' cannons, meant to be able to kill it in one shot? Even with all the defensive upgrades possible? And as I said, the Batomys seemed to stop moving just before it came to my south-west camp. I only had one radiator to go, but it wouldn't move on to the next wall and expose it.

Durante

Die Squirrel Die said:
I took out the normal units, and the guns within a couple of turns. My biggest difficulty was in where to position my tank. Are the Batomys' cannons, meant to be able to kill it in one shot? Even with all the defensive upgrades possible? And as I said, the Batomys seemed to stop moving just before it came to my south-west camp. I only had one radiator to go, but it wouldn't move on to the next wall and expose it.
I just kept my tank very far away from it after destroying the turrets, since I came close to losing it. I only managed to get the final radiator pretty close to my final southeastern camp. To me it seemed like it shot (and consequently opened up) only every 2 turns

Durante

Die Squirrel Die said:
I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.
No problem, I hope you make it. The subsequent missions are a bit easier and also very different in terms of units and objectives, so look forward to it!

Facism

Durante said:
I just kept my tank very far away from it after destroying the turrets, since I came close to losing it. I only managed to get the final radiator pretty close to my final southeastern camp. To me it seemed like it shot (and consequently opened up) only every 2 turns

This is what i did. Kept the tank at the main Command Post after taking down the turrets. used 3 Lancers to take down the radiators, luckily the left radiator was the first to go, so i could maneuvere the Lancers to the right hand side of the tank and use it as cover from the reinforcements. Kept an Engineer with the Lancers so they always had 3 rockets each turn, and used the Attack Up orders so the remaining radiators (and then the tank itself) were down in 4 moves total

The position of the EdelWeiss at the main CP meant it could attack the big ass tank with relative safety after the radiators went down.

The first battle that i realised you could permanently lose soldiers. Hard times losing Edy.

Durante

Facism said:
The first battle i realised you could permanently lose soldiers. Hard times losing Edy.
Oh wow I would have reloaded.

I had some luck with my deaths, there were only 2 times where I absolutely couldn't afford to retrieve a downed unit and each time she (Alicia once and Rosie the other time) was a plot relevant character :D

Facism

Durante said:
Oh wow I would have reloaded.

Didn't want to go through the battle again :p Only saved at the beginning.

She got caught on the wrong side of the map when
the reinforcements came and that blue glowing bint used 3 moves to get to the tank and then pwn her with magic bullshit rays. Couldn't afford to get a scout out to rescue her as the scout would have bitten it too.

Durante

Facism said:
She got caught on the wrong side of the map when
the reinforcements came and that blue glowing bint used 3 moves to get to the tank and then pwn her with magic bullshit rays. Couldn't afford to get a scout out to rescue her as the scout would have bitten it too.
"that blue glowing bint used 3 moves to get to the tank and then pwn her with magic bullshit rays" :lol
That's how I felt when she appeared. Her hax just wasn't fair. I actually tried to nuke her with my expanded payload mortar to see if I could at least do 1 point of damage or knock her around a bit but no dice

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Mission 7 - Battle of Barious - Batomys Tank

Challenging level, almost unfair when their reinforcements arrive and you're positioned unluckily.

Once you've survived Selvaria rushing towards Batomys (and have people outside of her line of sight), it's actually quite fun. I positioned Edelweiss to protect my Lancers from Selvaria, and making sure the Batomys cannons couldn't target me. Selvaria won't stray away from Batomys to pick off your units in hiding (phew!). If Batomys isn't progressing, then something is probably blocking it (I wonder if Selvaria can block its progress - you're fucked if that can happen)

Durante

Tempy said:
Selvaria won't stray away from Batomys to pick off your units in hiding (phew!).
Yeah, I thought that it was over for me after that first Selvaria turn before I realized that she doesn't leave her place. What I didn't understand after that battle is why Maximilian needs tanks or soldiers when he has Selvaria :lol

Baha

Cool they responded to my question on the blog regarding the 3rd dlc pack:

We’re looking into the third DLC pack, but we cannot announce anything yet. Stay tuned!

I guess it's too early to announce it with the other two not coming out till next year. Hope springs eternal though.

Durante

Baha said:
Cool they responded to my question on the blog regarding the 3rd dlc pack:
Nice, he also responded to me ... twice :lol

155rztj.jpg

ShadiWulf

I'm buying the game when it goes on sale at Circuit City even though I don't have a PS3. SEGA needs to know that they still have fans in the US who enjoy their unique Japanese games. If this game doesn't sell enough they will think the US doesn't care for Japanese games anymore and we will only get Published crap like Iron Man and Hulk. We will also get games like Mad World that are made for the US.. but no unique Japanese style games.

jorma

is now taking requests
Facism said:
This is what i did. Kept the tank at the main Command Post after taking down the turrets. used 3 Lancers to take down the radiators, luckily the left radiator was the first to go, so i could maneuvere the Lancers to the right hand side of the tank and use it as cover from the reinforcements. Kept an Engineer with the Lancers so they always had 3 rockets each turn, and used the Attack Up orders so the remaining radiators (and then the tank itself) were down in 4 moves total

The position of the EdelWeiss at the main CP meant it could attack the big ass tank with relative safety after the radiators went down.

The first battle that i realised you could permanently lose soldiers. Hard times losing Edy.

Regarding the reinforcements:

The reinforcements including evil valkyria will barge down the ramp towards the huge tank. I just put rosie slightly to the right of the top of that ramp, she mowed down every single trooper except evil valkyria in one enemy turn. The radiators were easy to take out with Alicia and a grenade.

This is the only level i S:ed so far i think. Except it looks like A is the best grade in EU version.

Lain

Awwww, I've unlocked the first skirmish map.... time to grind some money/exp to get some orders and the tank R&D stuff I'm missing ^^

Top Bottom