• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Durante

BobTheFork said:
I was so pissed because there was no way I could afford VC on my budget right now. However, I took all the old crap im not playing and don't want to Gamestop to try to get enough value for Resistance 2. Turns out they had a trade in deal going and I got WAY more back than I thought. It was just enough to fully pay off a copy of Chronicles WOOHOO. I loved the demo and I'm glad I'll be able to get this on Wednesday.
I usually hate Gamestop, but hey, whatever works to get you your VC!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm waiting a week to get in on the CC deal.

Or just buy it and then PM it back next week. (if they get it in)

Hopefully this arrives in a shipment to my EB tomorrow. I'm finished with Resistance 2 and need something to hold me over until Gears.

Durante said:
I usually hate Gamestop, but hey, whatever works to get you your VC!
I usually hate them too but I need them to get my Resistance CE as soon as possible. I won't miss anything I gave them either.

Volcynika

Himuro said:
How difficult is this baby?

As far as I can tell, it's challenging, but not to the point of frustrating you to the point of "FUCK THIS GAME." So that sounds good to me! But probably should listen to someone who actually has it. D:

Durante

Himuro said:
How difficult is this baby?
IGN:
"Also, Valkyria Chronicles can be a tremendous challenge, where one mistake could cost you a lot of time."

I think that's exaggerated, but some of the later missions are indeed challenging. However, I feel that it would be a waste of all the tactical options the game offers if it was too easy.

el Diablo

Banned
Irony of ironies, PS3 just fucking died (literally an hour ago, blinking red light of death + yellow light). Been waiting since launch (it's a full BC 60) to play something like VC and 2 days before it comes out my PS3 goes tits up.

Gonna go trade Fable for this tomorrow but I probably won't get to it for a while I'm completely addicted to Fallout right now.

Baha

If anybody in Canada gets a copy tomorrow, please post here. The discrepancy between the amazon.com & amazon.ca release dates worries me.

Alright so the eddy DLC was complete shit. Okay well maybe it wasn't that bad. But I didn't realize it was only one fucking mission(albeit a decent length one and fun)

I am so goddamn sick of this generation. I thought this was gonna be at least a couple of missions following the eddy squad.

BLEH

Durante said:
IGN:
"Also, Valkyria Chronicles can be a tremendous challenge, where one mistake could cost you a lot of time."

I think that's exaggerated, but some of the later missions are indeed challenging. However, I feel that it would be a waste of all the tactical options the game offers if it was too easy.

Yeah and there are some tactics that when used properly can be utterly devastating.

Once I got the smoke bomb it was very rare for me to fire my cannon. I just used the smoke bomb to allow all my units to blitzkreig enemies. I beat a couple of the harder bosses like this.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
BudokaiMR2 said:
Alright so the eddy DLC was complete shit. Okay well maybe it wasn't that bad. But I didn't realize it was only one fucking mission(albeit a decent length one and fun)

I am so goddamn sick of this generation. I thought this was gonna be at least a couple of missions following the eddy squad.

BLEH

If it makes you feel better, the Selvaria DLC seems to be quite a full experience.

Hcoregamer00 said:
If it makes you feel better, the Selvaria DLC seems to be quite a full experience.

Not really :( I shoulda bought it instead. I really thought the eddy pack was going to be a little meatier. They shoulda saved some of the seiyuu money and made more than one fucking map :(

Lain

Kyoufu said:
Mistakes do not cost you time since you can save after every move you make.

Well, it costs you the time to load that save, which is not too long, but not short either.

I'm taking it slow, just got to chapter 3 and I'm now able to get recruits, buy stuff, level classes etc.
Should I get some parts for the tank, or should I not bother with that until later, when I have more money? Right now I took everything else except the tank stuff.

Durante

Regarding the DLC: I'd buy any and all of it. They could sell me a new Alicia costume for 5€.

Kyoufu said:
Mistakes do not cost you time since you can save after every move you make.
But who actually does that? That's like pressing the quicksave button every time you turn a corner in a FPS ... wait, I actually know people like that.

Anyway, I only figured out that you could save during battles in chapter 9 or 10 :lol

BudokaiMR2 said:
Once I got the smoke bomb it was very rare for me to fire my cannon. I just used the smoke bomb to allow all my units to blitzkreig enemies. I beat a couple of the harder bosses like this.
Smoke shells are awesome but using them reminds me of Isara :..(

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
But who actually does that? That's like pressing the quicksave button every time you turn a corner in a FPS ... wait, I actually know people like that.

Anyway, I only figured out that you could save during battles in chapter 9 or 10 :lol

While I am a save whore, I wont abuse the heck of it by doing that.

I mean, it makes sense if you want to make a daring/stupid move, but aside from that people should keep it to a minimum.

Durante said:
Regarding the DLC: I'd buy any and all of it. They could sell me a new Alicia costume for 5€.

I would say that, but I rather save that money and buy more Valkyria Gashapon figures

:p

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
I mean, it makes sense if you want to make a daring/stupid move, but aside from that people should keep it to a minimum.
Yeah, in a few hairy situations I was actually happy to have it -- some of the later, more complex missions can take more than an hour easily and redoing all that because of a stupid move wouldn't be all that great.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
Yeah, in a few hairy situations I was actually happy to have it -- some of the later, more complex missions can take more than an hour easily and redoing all that because of a stupid move wouldn't be all that great.

So true, I hate when I make one of those moves and it takes you an hour to realize that your move was so fatal and critical that you basically screwed yourself over.

It is like Go, but not as punishing for screwing up.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm considering grabbing this, but I have to say I'm extremely dissapointed that there's no multiplayer.

A game like this seems built from the ground up for online play. Has anything been said about the possibility of online through DLC?

Durante

Bamelin said:
A game like this seems built from the ground up for online play.
Why? How? You didn't even play the game yet did you?
I dislike bringing any negativity into this thread, but NOT EVERY FUCKING GAME HAS TO HAVE MULTIPLAYER, GODDAMMIT.

Ferrio

Banned
Durante said:
I dislike bringing any negativity into this thread, but NOT EVERY FUCKING GAME HAS TO HAVE MULTIPLAYER, GODDAMMIT.

I'd hate to agree with the "This needs multiplayer", but it's true. Think it's the only strategy RPG game that'd I'd love to see a multiplayer element.

Durante

Perhaps I should elaborate: In larger battles, some of your turns can easily take 10 minutes or so to play. Which would be time just spent watching the screen for the other player. Also, a large battle with 2 human players will take hours. In my experience this doesn't work all that well even for hardened PC gamers playing games like Civ4, so I'd be really doubtful of it adding much for most console players.
Then there's the fact that it's an SRPG. The whole "RPG" aspect would have to be removed for fair multiplayer.

All that said, of course, all things being equal (which they wouldn't be, since development budgets are sadly not infinite), multiplayer would add to the game. I just hate the "every game needs multiplayer" mentality, especially concerning a title like this that is already the Game of the Year without it.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:

Quoted for truth.

Nothing is more annoying than having your opponent spend 10 minutes to decide his strategy, and take another 10 minutes to move them back and forth on the battlefield.

zoku88

They could do what they did in Civ4 multiplayer and have the turns for every player happen at the same time. If they really wanted to add mutiplayer.

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
They could do what they did in Civ4 multiplayer and have the turns for every player happen at the same time. If they really wanted to add mutiplayer.

That would break the gameplay and they would have to rebalance the entire game.

Might as well turn Valkyria into a FPS game.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Ferrio said:
I'd hate to agree with the "This needs multiplayer", but it's true. Think it's the only strategy RPG game that'd I'd love to see a multiplayer element.

BECAUSE it is a strategy RPG game it doesn't have multiplayer. Unless you want huge mismatches, it's way harder to balance multiplayer when the units can have differing levels, money, etc. Strategy games (Civilization, WarCraft) have multiplayer, Strategy RPGs (Disgaea, Fire Emblem) - not so much. They're both working on completely different sets of mechanics.

Volcynika

I remember that game that you had to pay to play online, and whenever you made a move, your opponent has like...13 days to make their move. It made me :lol

Durante

zoku88 said:
That's not really compatible with the way this game works, since "inactive" units can also act during opposing player's turns. And a lot of other things like Orders etc would need changes as well. It would be a different game. Also it would be a massive programming effort, in fact Civ 4 is the only game I've seen that pulled this off successfully. When games like HoMM5 or AoW:SW tried it it resulted in a buggy, incomplete mess.

Edit:
What Hcoregamer said.

Hcoregamer00

Volcynika said:
I remember that game that you had to pay to play online, and whenever you made a move, your opponent has like...13 days to make their move. It made me :lol

You mean 13 days in real life?

o_0

Durante said:
That's not really compatible with the way this game works, since "inactive" units can also act during opposing player's turns. And a lot of other things like Orders etc would need changes as well. It would be a different game. Also it would be a massive programming effort, in fact Civ 4 is the only game I've seen that pulled this off successfully. When games like HoMM5 or AoW:SW tried it it resulted in a buggy, incomplete mess.

Edit:
What Hcoregamer said.

Don't worry buddy, we are keeping this thread alive.

I am doing all I can to support your thread (and your opinions)

Hcoregamer00

Volcynika said:
Yep! Trying to find the game itself, it's been so long since I saw the review for it on X-play.

Holy crap, that is one horrible game.

:lol :lol

You can beat your opponents through boredom

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
Don't worry buddy, we are keeping this thread alive.
28i7w5g.jpg

:lol

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Volcynika said:
Yep! Trying to find the game itself, it's been so long since I saw the review for it on X-play.

I used to play VGA Planets which had you usually doing a few turns in a day, and which gradually became longer and longer - like 1 turn per week or more. That's because you had to micro-manage planets, ships, etc, and the more you conquered, the more time you needed to do your turn. There were many games like it back in the day.

Durante

Quixzlizx said:
The real question is how many on that list have played anything other than the demo.
I think I'm around 2/3 through it. (Which is why I slowed down, I want to play but I don't want it to end :/)

And 4 on that list played the Japanese version I believe.

Liberty4all

Banned
Durante said:

I played the demo and really enjoyed the gameplay. Yes it's true that not every game needs to have multiplayer ... but give me a fucking break. This game would be fucking PERFECT for online matches.

It's not like it would even have been hard. The game is turn based for pete's sake. Hell they could even have used the maps already in the single player campaign.

As anyone will tell you, the best A.I. will never hold a candle to a good human opponent. In my personal opinion it was a fucking stupid mistake to leave out multiplay.

edit: a multiplayer mode might have to have some adjustments for balance purposes ... but I still think it woul dhave been an engaging experience.

Volcynika

Tempy said:
I used to play VGA Planets which had you usually doing a few turns in a day, and which gradually became longer and longer - like 1 turn per week or more. That's because you had to micro-manage planets, ships, etc, and the more you conquered, the more time you needed to do your turn. There were many games like it back in the day.

Was the game free to play online? Because the one I'm talking about had a monthly fee, which kinda makes it a bit worse to handle for people.

Quixzlizx

Durante said:
I think I'm around 2/3 through it. (Which is why I slowed down, I want to play but I don't want it to end :/)

And 4 on that list played the Japanese version I believe.

There will always be a second play-through for the S-rank addict in all of us.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Really hope I can find this in stores tomorrow...I cant' even stand to wait to get it from gamefly

Hcoregamer00

Quixzlizx said:

Very true, the high ranking and its rigorous demands should be enough for many hardcore gamers.

edit: Post #1000 :D

Durante

Bamelin said:
I played the demo and really enjoyed the gameplay. Yes it's true that not every game needs to have multiplayer ... but give me a fucking break. This game would be fucking PERFECT for online matches.
Have you actually read my objections? 10 minute breaks (or more, if your opponent takes time to think) between doing anything is "perfect"? If you only know the demo you don't know the true scale of real battles.

Bamelin said:
In my personal opinion it was a fucking stupid mistake to leave out multiplay.
As it would have diverted development resources from the single player part and maybe stopped it from being the best game of the year I disagree. As I said earlier, all else being equal it would of course add to the game. But that's just not realistic.

Anyway, demanding multiplayer from a console SRPG is a bit much -- I don't think a single one has ever had anything like that. And Valkyria already innovates in so many ways that it seems a bit greedy to ask for even more.

Quixzlizx said:
True, and hopefully DLC at some point.

Top Bottom