• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

glaurung

Lain said:
Awwww, I've unlocked the first skirmish map.... time to grind some money/exp to get some orders and the tank R&D stuff I'm missing ^^

When do you get the first skirmish mission, what chapter?

Lain

Should be between chapter 3 and 4. Don't remember if it was near the end of chapter 3 or right after starting chapter 4.

Oh, and the reporter Ms. Ellet rocks. Love the way she talks.

Durante

New reviews:

GameSpy:
4.5/5 "Great!"

"Valkyria Chronicles is a powerful reason for role-playing gamers to spend the next few weeks on the PlayStation 3. Having seen the game in action some time ago, we expected something visually stunning, but we were impressed by the strength of the game's storyline and gameplay. It's easily one of the best looking games we've played this year, but thankfully there's plenty of strategic depth and engrossing gameplay to back it up."

Game Informer:
8.5/10 Second opinion 8.75/10

"There are some things you never knew you wanted in a strategy game. The third-person view does wonders to get you invested in every decision, and it’s great to have a worthwhile story. The gorgeous presentation and versatile combat make Valkyria Chronicles one of the best surprises of the year. It may not have been on your radar before, but you definitely shouldn’t let it pass you by."

"Valkyria Chronicles is a sleeper hit, and a must for any strategy nut."

Durante said:
New reviews:

GameSpy:
4.5/5 "Great!"

"Valkyria Chronicles is a powerful reason for role-playing gamers to spend the next few weeks on the PlayStation 3. Having seen the game in action some time ago, we expected something visually stunning, but we were impressed by the strength of the game's storyline and gameplay. It's easily one of the best looking games we've played this year, but thankfully there's plenty of strategic depth and engrossing gameplay to back it up."

Game Informer:
8.5/10 Second opinion 8.75/10

"There are some things you never knew you wanted in a strategy game. The third-person view does wonders to get you invested in every decision, and it’s great to have a worthwhile story. The gorgeous presentation and versatile combat make Valkyria Chronicles one of the best surprises of the year. It may not have been on your radar before, but you definitely shouldn’t let it pass you by."

"Valkyria Chronicles is a sleeper hit, and a must for any strategy nut."

And Another from an RPG dedicated site:
http://ps3.rpgsite.net/reviews/125/103.html
94/100
"Valkyria Chronicles is truly a genre defining, revolutionary new take on the RPG genre. Even viewed as a strategy RPG, it’s excitingly and stunningly fresh, and manages to stand out from the crowd not only by being different but by having an interesting story and beautiful graphics. It might be different, and it might not follow the strict RPG rules to the letter – but give it a try. You might well find the change is long overdue."

Durante

APZonerunner said:
And Another from an RPG dedicated site:
http://ps3.rpgsite.net/reviews/125/103.html
94/100
"Valkyria Chronicles is truly a genre defining, revolutionary new take on the RPG genre. Even viewed as a strategy RPG, it’s excitingly and stunningly fresh, and manages to stand out from the crowd not only by being different but by having an interesting story and beautiful graphics. It might be different, and it might not follow the strict RPG rules to the letter – but give it a try. You might well find the change is long overdue."
Thanks, added to the OP.

RpgN said:
OMG OMG OMG!!!

I'll buy every single one of them. I <3 sega!

Seriously, don't buy the eddy content. It's just not worth it. Something so short should have been free. The map wasn't even that amazing. It was fun, but nothing worth 6 bucks or whatever it costs.

Durante

BudokaiMR2 said:
Seriously, don't buy the eddy content. It's just not worth it. Something so short should have been free. The map wasn't even that amazing. It was fun, but nothing worth 6 bucks or whatever it costs.
I'll buy it. Even if the map sucks. It's the easiest way to donate money to SEGA while showing them which of their efforts is appreciated.
Well, unless they ask for more than 4€ in EU which would just be ludicrous.

McBradders said:
OMG guys I am terrible :(
I also put it on top of the OP yesterday already :p

Durante

A tip from the frontlines:

Never, never underestimate Heavy Anti-Tank Cannons. I just lost a fight that was going extremely well (and over an hour of unsaved playtime) because I made that mistake.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
BudokaiMR2 said:

Good to know that at least one of the DLC is worth it.

(hint: Avatar character)

BudokaiMR2 said:

I will pay, OMG I will paaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

maskrider

BudokaiMR2 said:

Not for those who happen to like Edy (me), ha ha ! :D

There is a "special treat" after finishing the mission in S rank.

RyoHazuki

I've played the demo, watched some videos, seen reviews and I'm still on the fence about this. What's the game like when you aren't fighting? Can you walk around towns / explore etc?

Lain

It's an SRPG, so no, you don't walk around when you don't fight. It's menu based (book based is what I'd say in regards to VC for the main story XD), with cutscenes for story and animated action (seeing people talking to you) for the other stuff, like going to the R&D department, the reclutement room (commander room) etc.

zurra

Need a small bit of info before I start diving in...

You are able to get Vyse and Aika (not spoiler-tagging those since it's not secret info and they talk about it in interviews) right off the bat, correct? Theoretically, when is the earliest time I could reload over and over to make sure I get them? Also, when is Edy first available, so I can use the same method to make sure I get her as well? :D

Baha

zurra said:
Need a small bit of info before I start diving in...

You are able to get Vyse and Aika (not spoiler-tagging those since it's not secret info and they talk about it in interviews) right off the bat, correct? Theoretically, when is the earliest time I could reload over and over to make sure I get them? Also, when is Edy first available, so I can use the same method to make sure I get her as well? :D

I got Vyse in chapter 3 when you first get the ability to recruit members. Basically the list is randomly generated and you can get new characters every chapter. I got Vyse and Edy early and Aika in the next chapter. Oh and you can swap out members in your squad for old ones without consequence I think when you're recruiting soldiers.

Lain

If I'm not mistaken, Aika and Edy are available right off the bat when you first get a chance to recluit new troops, so pretty soon.

YES! :D Should be here by the weekend!
amazon.com said:
The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Valkyria Chronicles $56.99 1 $56.99

Shipped via UPS

Volcynika

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I have it :D

I'd have taken a picture and posed like Rpgn, but I can't pull that look off.

Will eat a great lunch then put a couple hours into it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Volcynika said:
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

No, you should follow exactly what she did.

Pose sexy or else :p

Durante

Volcynika said:
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Post some impressions when you played a bit!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Went to go get mine... but then the power is out at the place I reserved at! I'll have to check back later D:

Volcynika

Durante said:
Post some impressions when you played a bit!

Just made it to Chapter 3

Impressions!

-Awesome music (already knew this)

-Cutscenes need to be able to be paused! Someone interrupted me when I was watching it, and I had to play the scene over, or I just don't know how to pause them

-Rankings for me are B's, except for one D, because
I didn't know they'd throw a freaking tank at me in the second mission, and I panicked a bit.

-Most fun part for me so far is
Gunning down a scout with my tank. EAT LEAD, YOU FIEND!
. Either that or enemies crossing in front of a sandbag that has three of my units behind it. They all opened fire on him, it was hilarious :lol

-English VA is pretty good (but I'm easy to please), and the story I've seen so far is pretty interesting. Dialogue seemed a bit odd when
Alicia and Welkin were talking and he said "my own way my own way" or whatever

-This is not a rushing game, no no. Trying to anticipate the enemy's movements and be ready for them is important. It's fun to just take a second and think about where they might go next, and be ready to handle it.

That's just quick impressions for now, but I'm enjoying it! Can't wait to play more of it tonight.

RpgN

Volcynika said:
I, for one, welcome our new Sega ovelords.

YAY I GET TO CATCH UP TO EUROPE TODAY AND ACTUALLY GET THE GAME. :D

<3

Lately they've been doing really great. This, Yakuza 3 and the new sonic doesn't look really bad.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I have it

Awww, please do! I wanna see the game in your hands and then can be relieved :D

-Cutscenes need to be able to be paused! Someone interrupted me when I was watching it, and I had to play the scene over, or I just don't know how to pause them
-Most fun part for me so far is I can't tag so I'll put something you can't read :pEither that or enemies crossing in front of a sandbag that has three of my units behind it. They all opened fire on him, it was hilarious

Actually you can pause the cutscenes but not all. At least I remember I did with the start button...Except for the short scenes where your mission takes place. You know the scenes where Welkin looks badass and ready to attack <3 And yes, I agree with these two methods! Feels so good when you get them.

EDIT

I remembered you actually skip the cutscenes that way. Sorry :(
BudokaiMR2 said:

I understand what you're saying but I pretty much think the same way as Durante. The game is already amazing, I just want to show my appreciation. And just to make sure they'll bring the third DLC pack (you know who), they might no do it if the first 2 sell horrible.

McBradders said:
OMG guys I am terrible :(

Don't be. You're just being helpful. I think I've done something like this before :D

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, you should follow exactly what she did.

Pose sexy or else :p

Eh? I though I was pulling the cute look. Hmmm...

Durante

Volcynika said:
-This is not a rushing game, no no. Trying to anticipate the enemy's movements and be ready for them is important. It's fun to just take a second and think about where they might go next, and be ready to handle it.
It's good that you're thinking that way in Chapter 3 already, since it will be important to act in a deliberate fashion once all the rooftops are full of snipers.
I linked your impressions in the OP

Recently I've tried advancing almost exclusively with tanks and snipers (and one mechanic). It work pretty well -- the tanks mow down any defenses and armor and the snipers take care of the infantry.
I can't stress enough how much I love the small strategic touches in the game, like units recovering more ammo/hp in camps. The more I'm using it the more I also think that the whole "move units more than once if you like, but at reduced efficiency" system is a stroke of genius.

RpgN

Durante said:
I can't stress enough how much I love the small strategic touches in the game, like units recovering more ammo/hp in camps. The more I'm using it the more I also think that the whole "move units more than once if you like, but at reduced efficiency" system is a stroke of genius.

I agree. I also really like how they made the engineers helpful. You know how they heal your tank, ammo for all units, can travel long distance and disarm mines. On top of that they can attack when the time comes (not amazing, but considering all the other things they can do). They're a great package.

You guys tried to pair Jann with Largo? They're hilarious! I love Jann...

Quixzlizx

RpgN said:
I agree. I also really like how they made the engineers helpful. You know how they heal your tank, ammo for all units, can travel long distance and disarm mines. On top of that they can attack when the time comes (not amazing, but considering all the other things they can do). They're a great package.

You guys tried to pair Jann with Largo? They're hilarious! I love Jann...

You guys are killing me. One more hour until work is over and I can pick my copy up.

RpgN

Quixzlizx said:
You guys are killing me. One more hour until work is over and I can pick my copy up.

Hehehe, glad we're making you jealous >:)

Though just like I said to a different user before, don't play the game with mighty expectations. I don't want to ruin the fun for you.

And just to be clear, Jann is a different person. Not what you're expecting :D

Durante

Baha said:
Does R&D only upgrade each chapter or can you unlock upgrades via level or getting higher ranks?
I'm not 100% sure but it from my experience it seems to be a once per chapter thing.
Later in the game higher ranks do earn you other rewards though.

Baha

Durante said:
I'm not 100% sure but it from my experience it seems to be a once per chapter thing.
Later in the game higher ranks do earn you other rewards though.

Ok, one last thing, is there a new game+? It'd be nice if I could carry over my equipment & levels over.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Traded in Far Cry 2 and picked up VC today for 20 bucks.

I better not regret this, NEOGAF!

buffi

Banned
How many chapters are the game?
Feel free to spoiler the answer for people who don't want to know, but I like to keep track on how much I have left on my games while playing them :)

Picked my copy up today. Sega of America went cheap on the packaging. Black and white manual, and we didn't get the artwork on the reverse side of the cover art like Europe did.

buffi

Banned
distantmantra said:
Picked my copy up today. Sega of America went cheap on the packaging. Black and white manual, and we didn't get the artwork on the reverse side of the cover art like Europe did.

Black and white manual in Europe as well.
Nice artwork on the inside though.

chespace said:
Traded in Far Cry 2 and picked up VC today for 20 bucks.

I better not regret this, NEOGAF!

I'm not regretting it so far. I've given into GAF HYPE one too many times but this seems like the real thing. I'm not into strategy games, or even SRPGs, but this game has won me over. The combat system is deep, without being too complex. It's a very approachable game and the story is actually pretty good so far.

Durante

Baha said:
Ok, one last thing, is there a new game+? It'd be nice if I could carry over my equipment & levels over.
I think I heard some players of the Japanese version say that there is -- I have not yet finished the game.

buffi said:
How many chapters are the game?
Feel free to spoiler the answer for people who don't want to know, but I like to keep track on how much I have left on my games while playing them :)
Please do spoiler tag the answer whoever gives it, I don't want to know :p

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
playing this the last 6 hours , first SRPG ever i actually like and know how to play it , I hate J-RPG , SRPG and WRPG too but I am in freaking love with this game , it's just so awesome .

the story is interesting I hope it stay like that no need to Final Fantasy level of shitness with tonz of overpowered characters and stupid other stuff , i like the level of Fantasy and Reality in this game , there is also J-Drama acting quality there , I want Aya Ueto to play alicia in the live action adaptation series :lol so awesome gameplay .

but can someone , anyone please tell me why this didn't sell in japan at all ? was it the World War thing , the European characters ( same as Folklore ) , or Japanese do only need emo kids with 70 feet long swords and magics and other crap to buy RPGs ?

Ryuartyi

Banned
I just got my copy this afternoon, and so far it's very entertaining. I'm to chapter 2 now and I'm hoping the story picks up now.

I do have a question, is there any way to check what rank you got on a previous mission? I'm a sucker for it showing all A ranks, and I can't find a progress report anywhere.

Durante

Totobeni said:
but can someone , anyone please tell me why this didn't sell in japan at all ? was it the World War thing , the European characters ( same as Folklore ) , or Japanese do only need emo kids with 70 feet long swords and magics and other crap to buy RPGs ?
I didn't sell "not at all". It sold 150k in total, which is, in fact, good for a new franchise SRPG on any platform, and especially so on PS3. Of course it deserves to do even better than that, but that is beside the point.

DoctorWho said:
I'm not regretting it so far. I've given into GAF HYPE one too many times but this seems like the real thing. I'm not into strategy games, or even SRPGs, but this game has won me over. The combat system is deep, without being too complex. It's a very approachable game and the story is actually pretty good so far.
Totobeni said:
playing this the last 6 hours , first SRPG ever i actually like and know how to play it , I hate J-RPG , SRPG and WRPG too but I am in freaking love with this game , it's just so awesome
I love to read about the genre-defying appeal of VC :D

Top Bottom