• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Volcynika

Ya know, it's so tempting to play this now, as I've made two 100's (pretty much) on two other tests for this class, and the test tonight will probably be dropped. But I would feel like a bad student! :p

poking cow

Neo Member
damn, game looks so good :(. Ill have to wait till christmas time to play it T_T. Why do games I want to buy always come in clumps, spread out the releases dammit =P

Yeah, chp7 Operation Complete. Even managed not to lose any troops (well I recovered their bodies in time at least).

I think in my earlier attempts I was just getting really unlucky with critical attacks against my tank. This time although I took damage it was never anything lifethreatening.

darkvir

crap... my EB doesnt have it in today, i'm really gonna stop using those fools to do preorders since half the time i dont get the bonus.

Pein

Banned
I went to 5 different stores today and none of them had it, I got my local game shop to order it for me but it wont be here until friday

Pein said:
I went to 5 different stores today and none of them had it, I got my local game shop to order it for me but it wont be here until friday

I still can't quite figure out how a store in Toronto got this in on Monday while nobody else seems to have it until tomorrow.

Nekobo

Urgh, won't be getting my copy until the 10th. I'll be twiddling my thumbs and day dreaming till then...hurry Amazon. :/

Median

DoctorWho said:
I still can't quite figure out how a store in Toronto got this in on Monday while nobody else seems to have it until tomorrow.

It's odd eh? There's a small game store near me that managed to get copies yesterday but the local EB and Gamestop still say the release date is next week. I was gonna pick it up from said small game store but I've got it paid off at EB and I don't really feel like moving preorders around and whatnot. Valkyria will have to wait until I beat Resistance :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So fun. This is the first next gen RPG to give me that classic vibe I got while playing PS1 RPG's. Beat the prologue and moving to chapter 1.

DrBo42

I'm trusting GAF blind on this one, just bought it off of Amazon. Haven't even played the demo :lol. I hope it's good.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I was playing this game for four hours and twenty minutes, it is amazing on every level.

Right now I am in the desert mission.

All the villains are so awesome, especially Selvaria and Jaeger.

I also love the main cast: Alicia, Welkin, Isara, Rosie, and Largo are all great.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Did someone say the story was great?

It was doing okay until the
pig showed up, seriously, what?!
Maybe I just need to play more JRPG-ish stuff to desensityze myself :lol

Baha

Farnack said:
Wow, Bestbuy and Futureshop still don't have it in my area for some reason.

Damn Canada.

Check your local Blockbuster. Apparently they've been receiving copies in Canada, usually 2 to rent and 1 to sell.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
K I loved the gameplay from day 1, but now that all the extra shit is hitting me, all the characters, the traits, the upgrading, the leveling, the skirmishes.

So much awesome.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just picked up the game. Is it me, or are the English subtitles not a very accurate translation for the Japanese audio? They don't seem to match in several lines. This may bug me enough to switch the audio to English.

Baha

XiaNaphryz said:
Just picked up the game. Is it me, or are the English subtitles not a very accurate translation for the Japanese audio? They don't seem to match in several lines. This may bug me enough to switch the audio to English.

They're not 100% accurate but I like being able to tell the difference between what's being said and what they translated it to. I can live with it.

zoku88

XiaNaphryz said:
Don't translations do this kind of thing often?

I went in to EB to see if it had arrived early in Canada like it is in the States, no such luck, so I just used up what trade-in credit I had left and pre-ordered it.

Hcoregamer00

Shit, my first roadblock.

It is after you go to the ruins and
battle against Prince Maximilian in his big fucking tank. The 6 turrets would shoot the crap out of everyone so I can't even climb the damn ladders to destroy the ragnite generators. I would normally destroy 3 of the turrets before I make a stupid move like moving Welkin's tank in front or behind the Tank.

What is the general strategy? Should I destroy all 3 of the generators?

JEKKI said:
aww man did u guys see Alicia???

dood she got them big ass titties!!!

Wait until you see Selvaria and Elanor, then you will be in for a shock :lol

Volcynika

Just beat a Ch 3 operation,
defense of the bridge
. I had some fun with it,
knew I couldn't bring a sniper to the riverside team due to the low AP they have, but I eventually put Alicia on the roof and started lobbing grenades off to take care of the enemies Welkin/Rosie didn't take out :lol

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
Shit, my first roadblock.

It is after you go to the ruins and
battle against Prince Maximilian in his big fucking tank. The 6 turrets would shoot the crap out of everyone so I can't even climb the damn ladders to destroy the ragnite generators. I would normally destroy 3 of the turrets before I make a stupid move like moving Welkin's tank in front or behind the Tank.

What is the general strategy? Should I destroy all 3 of the generators?

a little detailed but..
Destroy turrets with tank busters. Highly recommend Elesis Moore (short haired girl) since she has the 2x dmg and extra shot procs...makes things a lot easier...i don't remember off the top of my head who else has those 2 procs together. Try to get this done as early as possible.

While doing the above, you'll need to move welkin around...theoretically you can use him to do the same as above, but he can be used in another manner in a pinch...more on that later. Welkin should be used to destroy a few structures which will result in an obstacle for Lelouche's tank...erh...maxmillian's. Go ahead of the rest of the batallion and take down a few of those structures.

When the monster tank arrives at the downed structures, it will fire off its uber weapon to clear it. When this happens, the generators release a crap ton of heat and the smokestacks open up. Use this opportunity to send a troop up there and toss a grenade into the stack...repeat this 3 times....time this so all the turrets are gone by the time the monster tank arrives at the first downed structure...i think this can be as late as structure 2 or 3...basically there needs to be 3 downed structures remaining minimum in order to do this.

Now, if you've upgraded Edelweiss reasonably well, you can park it in front of the monster tank. It'll take like 95%+ damage since it will be treated as a downed structure. The damage can be repaired right up, but in this situation, the stacks don't open.

If you don't want to be utterly fucked in this mission, you will need to utilize the last strategy, but I won't explain why and leave that for you to figure out ;)

Hcoregamer00

rykomatsu said:
a little detailed but..
Destroy turrets with tank busters. Highly recommend Elesis Moore (short haired girl) since she has the 2x dmg and extra shot procs...makes things a lot easier...i don't remember off the top of my head who else has those 2 procs together. Try to get this done as early as possible.

While doing the above, you'll need to move welkin around...theoretically you can use him to do the same as above, but he can be used in another manner in a pinch...more on that later. Welkin should be used to destroy a few structures which will result in an obstacle for Lelouche's tank...erh...maxmillian's. Go ahead of the rest of the batallion and take down a few of those structures.

When the monster tank arrives at the downed structures, it will fire off its uber weapon to clear it. When this happens, the generators release a crap ton of heat and the smokestacks open up. Use this opportunity to send a troop up there and toss a grenade into the stack...repeat this 3 times....time this so all the turrets are gone by the time the monster tank arrives at the first downed structure...i think this can be as late as structure 2 or 3...basically there needs to be 3 downed structures remaining minimum in order to do this.

Now, if you've upgraded Edelweiss reasonably well, you can park it in front of the monster tank. It'll take like 95%+ damage since it will be treated as a downed structure. The damage can be repaired right up, but in this situation, the stacks don't open.

If you don't want to be utterly fucked in this mission, you will need to utilize the last strategy, but I won't explain why and leave that for you to figure out ;)

Sounds very difficult. I will try tackling it again tomorrow before I head off to class.

Hcoregamer00

Man, I am steamrolling through the game.

I will take my sweet time, because I don't want it to end. I guess I can thank Sega for the very difficult Mission 7 that will keep me stuck for a while.

I keep forgetting that this is not a race, especially if it starts taking the fun out of it.

klee123

Got the PAL version today. I was surprised that it came with the art book. The best thing is that I didn't need to preorder it. All customers who bought it get it.

Hcoregamer00

shouamabane said:
The demo for this game is great.

The game is 10x better, you will love it when you actually know the context of the story and get to experience all the crazy scenarios they come up with to take advantage of the amazing game engine.

Durante was not kidding when he said every battle is a very different beast, it requires you to think outside the box to do the best. Unfortunately on my end I stuck with Mission 4 strategies in Mission 7 and it is kicking my butt.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hans kicks arse. Damn the haters!

Loving it more than I had hoped. Play a solid 5-6 hours straight, haven't done that to a console game since Mario Galaxy - before then? God knows.

I love everything that Sega have done, there are so many Skies of Arcadia nostalgic moments in it just via the graphic style and the layout of certain rooms and such. The book works wonderfully, the interface is very easy to go through and not confusing whatsoever, the leveling up system is something that has been needed to be done in SRPGs since they were ever created and evolved slowly, the story isn't cliche and the characters are very likable.

There is so much more I want to say but I can't be gushing forever.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
klee123 said:
Got the PAL version today. I was surprised that it came with the art book. The best thing is that I didn't need to preorder it. All customers who bought it get it.

What! I didn't get the artbook :(

Can I buy it somewhere online?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I had preordered this and Tomb Raider Underground from Buy.com last month. My order say in the shipping process but its said that for days. I have a feeling I'm not getting VC until TRU releases and buy.com ships them on the same day. :(

RpgN

^
I say he was very lucky to have gotten that artbook.

truly101 said:
I had preordered this and Tomb Raider Underground from Buy.com last month. My order say in the shipping process but its said that for days. I have a feeling I'm not getting VC until TRU releases and buy.com ships them on the same day. :(

When you placed your order, did you choose option for separate shipping method (if it's available in that store)? If not you're going to have to wait until TRU is ready too, or you must contact them if you really can't wait.

Top Bottom