• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Ajay1986

Deffinetly getting this from somewhere today, had a look yesterday at Tesco and HMV but neither of them had any. Got a feeling it'll be a game that will become harder and harder to find in shops and i dont want to miss out.

El-Suave

I'm only on chapter 4 but the game is already better than I expected it to be. It's much deeper than I had anticipated without being complicated so far.

I was curious how they would incorporate all those characters and if they really have personalities and I am really pleasantly surprised that they pulled it off.

I LOVE the Jagged Alliance games on PC and this reminds me so much of them - so I would encourage people who like those and who own a PS3 to get this game!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I think I'm in chapter 6 in the desert. Damn this mission is long and hard! I got near the end and the enemy had a bunch of snipers and tanks and just took me out from a distance. My snipers are lvl 4 but still very ineffective. gah!

can someone post general strategies that you always keep in mind when you start a game?

I always try to throw the key characters in, but what kind of balance do you usually go for in terms of player types?

1 tank, 1 scout, 1 eingineer, 2 snipers, 3 shocktroopers and 1 lance = good party for most maps?

still loving the game though :D

buffi

Banned
buffi said:
How many chapters are the game?
Feel free to spoiler the answer for people who don't want to know, but I like to keep track on how much I have left on my games while playing them :)

Could anyone answer this?
I know there are more than a few people who have played through the Japanese version.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
kaizoku said:
I think I'm in chapter 6 in the desert. Damn this mission is long and hard! I got near the end and the enemy had a bunch of snipers and tanks and just took me out from a distance. My snipers are lvl 4 but still very ineffective. gah!

can someone post general strategies that you always keep in mind when you start a game?

I always try to throw the key characters in, but what kind of balance do you usually go for in terms of player types?

1 tank, 1 scout, 1 eingineer, 2 snipers, 3 shocktroopers and 1 lance = good party for most maps?

Always try to have Alicia, Largo and Rosie in, as they're leaders and thus give you extra CP.

For me, 1 engineer is generally enough although there are maps which makes 2 useful.

1 Sniper, although briefings will usually indicate when 2 are useful.

If the enemies have lots of tanks, more than 1 lancer becomes handy.

Scouts are extremely useful, so I tend to have at least 2 of them, sometimes 3. And also 2 shocktroopers. While they clear through enemies a lot easier than scouts, they just don't have enough moving distance.

So usually, in order of preference:
Scouts: Alicia, Aika, (Freesia (desert maps))
Shocktroopers: Rosie, Vyse, (Wendy (she even giggles when she dies), Edy)
Lancers: Largo, (Elyse)
Snipers: Marina, (Catherine)
Engineers: Dallas, (Claudia)

jorma

is now taking requests
kaizoku said:

That looks very similar to my usual starting team. But i nearly always swap players because you often want a different lineup towards the end of a scenario.
The desert scenario in chapter 6 is a perfect example, since lancers are not really needed until mid-scenario afair.

Rank is entirely dependant on the amount of turns. You don't get any rank bonuses for killing enemies. You do get Money/XP bonuses for that though, so you have to balance it out. Plus just dashing to the objective as quickly as possible will get you slaughtered on most stages. If you check the Objectives option in the battle menu it'll show you what rank you are currently on (ie. what rank you'll get if you finish the battle on that turn).

As for formation. I tend to favour Scouts over Shocktroopers, unless the battle requires that I defend a position. I love snipers though, especially if the start of the battle gives you a view of a few CP troops. It's great when the first few moves of your opening turn deprive the enemy of CP for their next turn.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Tempy said:
Always try to have Alicia, Largo and Rosie in, as they're leaders and thus give you extra CP.

For me, 1 engineer is generally enough although there are maps which makes 2 useful.

1 Sniper, although briefings will usually indicate when 2 are useful.

If the enemies have lots of tanks, more than 1 lancer becomes handy.

Scouts are extremely useful, so I tend to have at least 2 of them, sometimes 3. And also 2 shocktroopers. While they clear through enemies a lot easier than scouts, they just don't have enough moving distance.

ah cool.

interesting that you use scouts more than shocktroopers. I do find them useful for running up to characters and shooting them in the head before running back, but also its so risky as they get shot to fuck sometimes on the way there. I tried using grenades a lot with them as well but the range and damage was just bad and inconsistent.

matmanx1

Finally got a day off today so I started up VC first thing this morning and just now stopped to take a break. I think I may have just witnessed one of the most beautiful and touching introductions to a game that I have ever seen. Everything up to that part where Alicia makes the promise on the hill overlooking Bruhl and then the scene freeze frames for the narrator. It made me a little misty eyed! Wow, just wow.

kiryogi

Banned
On the otherside of the sea~

Valkyria bikini figures! :lol

Looks like they're based off the beach side chapter

http://www.shopncsx.com/srsenba.aspx

Although, can't say you ever see Edie or Selvaria in said outfits in the game.

valkbikini.jpg

Durante

For everyone stuck in the final desert mission:
I posted my strategy and a few tips back on page 22.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Durante was not kidding when he said every battle is a very different beast, it requires you to think outside the box to do the best. Unfortunately on my end I stuck with Mission 4 strategies in Mission 7 and it is kicking my butt.
:lol
Mission 7 seems to seperate the men from the boys. (Metaphorically speaking, no offense female fans!)

speedpop said:
Hans kicks arse. Damn the haters!

Loving it more than I had hoped. Play a solid 5-6 hours straight, haven't done that to a console game since Mario Galaxy - before then? God knows.

I love everything that Sega have done, there are so many Skies of Arcadia nostalgic moments in it just via the graphic style and the layout of certain rooms and such. The book works wonderfully, the interface is very easy to go through and not confusing whatsoever, the leveling up system is something that has been needed to be done in SRPGs since they were ever created and evolved slowly, the story isn't cliche and the characters are very likable.

There is so much more I want to say but I can't be gushing forever.
Gushing is good!

Durante

I linked all the new impressions from the OP.

Tempy said:
Wow, swap Edy for Vyse and that's basically my usual team.

Does anyone else find Lancers rather useless? I often need all the other units, but outside of one specific battle I don't think I've ever used Lancers much. I probably haven't even moved Largo in the past 4 chapters or so.

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:
Wow, swap Edy for Vyse and that's basically my usual team.

Does anyone else find Lancers rather useless? I often need all the other units, but outside of one specific battle I don't think I've ever used Lancers much. I probably haven't even moved Largo in the past 4 chapters or so.

Usually used Hector and Largo. They're always nice to have. Later on, you'll be dealing with even more tanks than you can ever imagine. Not to mention sometimes they can get an enemy out of the defensive position.

Baha

Vyse is the best shock trooper I have simply b/c of his positive potential (challenge or something). Rosie comes in a very close 2nd after him.

Dragon

Banned
Started this last night. Love the style and I recognized Allen from Xenosaga as Welkin's VA so that was surprising!

Farnack said:
Wow, Bestbuy and Futureshop still don't have it in my area for some reason.

Damn Canada.

A coworker of mine picked up the last copy at Futureshop Robson (downtown vancouver).

They're out of stock there...

I've preordered from amazon.ca so I can save a few dollars...

Lain

Got to Chapter 7, so finally saw the pig someone mentioned before, it was so cute XD
The desert mission in chapater 6 was pretty cool, kind of easy too, especially once I got Alicia to capture the first camp and Aika to reach the middle of the map
and the Desert storm that cover her as she runs all the way to the other camp killing any man in between is such a cool touch
. Also got Vyse, which made me laugh earing him kinda laugh while killing enemies.

Durante

Oh, one addition to my lineup:
I also love to use Jane Turner. Her Potentials are awesome (Imp Hater, Lancer Killer, Sadist, Fearless Will, among others). And she has that evil animation whenever Sadist activates :lol

kiryogi

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Do you have to paint them? >_>

No, those are early sculptures. Unless they're releasing a variation on top of that. Colored and non. Does tend to happen. Don't have horrible luck!

Durante said:
Oh, one addition to my lineup:
I also love to use Jane Turner. Her Potentials are awesome (Imp Hater, Lancer Killer, Sadist, Fearless Will, among others). And she has that evil animation whenever Sadist activates :lol

She's really cool. I agree about Vyse being awesome (I wonder if that was by coincidence or design?). I liked Susie as well, until she got the Humanitarian potential, messed her right up.

Baha said:
Vyse is the best shock trooper I have simply b/c of his positive potential (challenge or something). Rosie comes in a very close 2nd after him.
I prefer Lynn. Hard worker is without a doubt my favorite potential.

Baha

Die Squirrel Die said:
She's really cool. I agree about Vyse being awesome (I wonder if that was by coincidence or design?). I liked Susie as well, until she got the Humanitarian potential, messed her right up.

Yeah, I swapped out Susie for that other scout, the one who likes Welkin.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
kiryogi said:
On the otherside of the sea~

Valkyria bikini figures! :lol

Looks like they're based off the beach side chapter

http://www.shopncsx.com/srsenba.aspx

Although, can't say you ever see Edie or Selvaria in said outfits in the game.

valkbikini.jpg

I am so buying it in day one once it is available on Play-asia.

Durante said:
:lol
Mission 7 seems to seperate the men from the boys. (Metaphorically speaking, no offense female fans!)

Well, to be fair I thought it got easier once you beat the tank portion
then Selvaria shows up and destroys everything. I had to replay my save (in turn 5 before I got the second smoke stack) to strategize with Selvaria in mind

As expected <3 Selvaria

zurra

I am one of those that had second coming of Jesus expectations for this game, and it has not disappointed me at all so far. From the presentation to the characters to the gameplay, everything is pure gold.

Though I'm finding that I reload a lot in certain situations... like when Largo is point blank to a tank's radiator and whiffs, or right now because Edy isn't showing up as a recruit. Neither of these bother me terribly, but I fear for productivity outside of the game. Holy cow it's addicting.

Hcoregamer00

zurra said:
I am one of those that had second coming of Jesus expectations for this game, and it has not disappointed me at all so far. From the presentation to the characters to the gameplay, everything is pure gold.

Though I'm finding that I reload a lot in certain situations... like when Largo is point blank to a tank's radiator and whiffs, or right now because Edy isn't showing up as a recruit. Neither of these bother me terribly, but I fear for productivity outside of the game. Holy cow it's addicting.

Damn right it is, the insane variety in the missions they have are mindboggling.

I am so addicted to the game just to see what kind of missions they will use to take advantage of the gameplay design. Every single one has been amazing.

Mission 7 is so damn cool, especially because
of a certain gray haired general appearing and wiping out your entire team if you are unprepared.

Quixzlizx

I had a tab open at ncsx ready and waiting for me to order that first set of VC gashapon, but I couldn't reduce myself to owning anime/game figures, and it's out of print now. I'm not sure whether to be disappointed or relieved.

I picked the game up last night, but I was sick and I didn't want to ruin the experience of starting it while feeling like crap. I think I've made an almost full recovery, so I'm awaiting the end of the work day.

zurra

Yay, a dozen reloads later I have Edy. Now the dream team of Edy, Vyse, and Aika is complete.

Hcoregamer, do you have a full screenshot of the pic your avatar is from?

Hcoregamer00

zurra said:
Yay, a dozen reloads later I have Edy. Now the dream team of Edy, Vyse, and Aika is complete.

Sweet, but in my experience I like many of the other squad 7 cast members as much as the main ones.

In particular Wendy, Ramona, and Yoko.

I am not kidding, Yoko is freaking awesome.

Volcynika

zurra said:

Hcoregamer, do you have a full screenshot of the pic your avatar is from?

I have Edy and Vyse, but I haven't seen Aika. How do I get her?

Baha

Volcynika said:
I have Edy and Vyse, but I haven't seen Aika. How do I get her?

Whenever you start a new chapter, save first and then visit headquarters and see if the master list has been updated for new recruits. If Aika isn't there, reload your save and try again. The master list is updated every 2 chapters I think.

Hcoregamer00

Baha said:
Whenever you start a new chapter, save first and then visit headquarters and see if the master list has been updated for new recruits. If Aika isn't there, reload your save and try again. The master list is updated every 2 chapters I think.

Huh?

In my experience the master list is updated after you beat the major battle for the chapter.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

zurra

Hcoregamer00 said:
Sweet, but in my experience I like many of the other squad 7 cast members as much as the main ones.

In particular Wendy, Ramona, and Yoko.

I am not kidding, Yoko is freaking awesome.
Absolutely. Those are some of my regulars.

I love when the Chatty Cathy potential activates. :lol

Durante

Quixzlizx said:
I had a tab open at ncsx ready and waiting for me to order that first set of VC gashapon, but I couldn't reduce myself to owning anime/game figures, and it's out of print now. I'm not sure whether to be disappointed or relieved.
I wanted to order a box of those today but it seems I missed my chance. I'm reluctant to spend this much, but I'd also get Edy and Jane Turner that way ...

Baha

I'm not sure whether it's level related or class related but you unlock more of a character's profile as you play. It might also be related to how often you use certain people, it's a neat incentive for trying each recruit out imo.

Ricker

The game is nowhere to be found in the Montreal area still,even EBGames where i Pre-ordered didn't get it yet...oh well not that i wanted to jump into to it fully yet,got to finish Fallout 3 and Fable 2 first but a few levels would be fun.

Baha

Ricker said:
The game is nowhere to be found in the Montreal area still,even EBGames where i Pre-ordered didn't get it yet...oh well not that i wanted to jump into to it fully yet,got to finish Fallout 3 and Fable 2 first but a few levels would be fun.

Try your local blockbuster or rogers video.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Random question, can you play older story missions again to try and get a better rank? And if you do, do you still get XP and whatnot?

Hcoregamer00

vag 2.0 said:
I don't know about chapter 7 being tough but 6 is seriously doing me damage. Any tips?

Trust me when I say that chapter 7 is two levels of difficulty harder than anything you find in Chapter 6.

My strategy

Two columns, one of them is a battalion of shocktroopers and Scouts. Go through the ditch and edge and take over the east base camp.

The second one is the Edelweiss with 1 engineer and have Largo and Yoko (or anybody of that class). Destroy the tanks one by one and keep out of the line of sight of the snipers. Then get close enough to use the grenade to take out 4 or 5 snipers and take over the base.

My strategy is pretty good and I was able to get my second A ranking from it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Hcoregamer00 said:
Trust me when I say that chapter 7 is two levels of difficulty harder than anything you find in Chapter 6.

My strategy

Two columns, one of them is a battalion of shocktroopers and Scouts. Go through the ditch and edge and take over the east base camp.

The second one is the Edelweiss with 1 engineer and have Largo and Yoko (or anybody of that class). Destroy the tanks one by one and keep out of the line of sight of the snipers. Then get close enough to use the grenade to take out 4 or 5 snipers and take over the base.

My strategy is pretty good and I was able to get my second A ranking from it.

First I had 2 snipers clear some of the initial people on the ground, and the snipers on the eastern base.
Move Edelweiss up, this provides additional cover for your troops. Edelweiss can drive over some infantry mines, and take out an enemy.
Move a scout and shocktrooper to clean up any remaining enemies.
Move an Engineer with the tank to heal and to clean up mines.
Take the eastern base.
Move Edelweiss up.

If you have the smoke grenade it's easy from now on, although you also get basically the same effect when the sandstorm kicks in.

Under cover of smoke/sand, have a scout (maybe 2) run all the way to the top right corner. There are some ruins there where you can hide from tank attacks and snipers. There might be a named sniper there as well.

Another smoke grenade on the northern base, move the scouts up to grenade any enemies outside of the area, then occupy the base. Easy-peasy.

Top Bottom