• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So it's possible to miss characters early on in the game?
Any tips for me on making sure I get them all?

I'm probably picking this up today if GS got it in.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Great to see all these positive impressions in this thread.

I picked up my copy yesterday but probably won't get to it for a while since I'm getting double-teamed by GoW2 and Fallout 3 right now.

With all the games I already own, I don't know if I need to buy another game for the rest of the year. Might pick up L4D on Steam, and that's it.

VC sounds so much like my type of game since someone earlier mentioned Jagged Alliance, which is hands down my favorite SRPG ever. JA2, that is.

Great job Sega!

kay

DrBo42 said:
I'm trusting GAF blind on this one, just bought it off of Amazon. Haven't even played the demo :lol. I hope it's good.
Not just GAF, it has got 8+ reviews everywhere.
matmanx1 said:
Finally got a day off today so I started up VC first thing this morning and just now stopped to take a break. I think I may have just witnessed one of the most beautiful and touching introductions to a game that I have ever seen. Everything up to that part where Alicia makes the promise on the hill overlooking Bruhl and then the scene freeze frames for the narrator. It made me a little misty eyed! Wow, just wow.
Yes to this.

At least it is beating retailer expectations, out of the 4 local stores 2 of them never got it, 1 had sold all of their 5 copies and then I got the last one from the other store. Even sold out at gamestop.com which I assume is pretty rare for a new release.

I'm getting a lot of D rankings on my first play through... :(. I still need to learn to fully utilize all my resources so that I'm not wasting CP.

Raytow

Baha said:
Whenever you start a new chapter, save first and then visit headquarters and see if the master list has been updated for new recruits. If Aika isn't there, reload your save and try again. The master list is updated every 2 chapters I think.
Wow I must be lucky got Aika and Vyse at the beginning, though it was the same for everyone :D

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Amazon says mine is shipped! :) :) :) I can't wait... I've been looking forward to this game for a while, but my game boner got stoked by that demo. I've played it like 10 times. Really, really love this game... and the real version hasn't even gone into the system yet!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I blew up the giant tank! And like most of my squad was laying injured at the time and I still scraped through with a C rank :lol

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
WOW... Amazon said it was shipped today... but it JUST showed up at my office in NYC. Not sure how that happened. Guess what I'm playing tonight!!!!! :) :) :)

Edit: awww man, if any game could have used an awesome reverse cover to see through the box, it would be this game... darn

Nilla

Banned
Picked my copy up yesterday, and got the art book without having pre-ordered. (Aussies - JB seemed to be doing this as a matter of course, so you could probably still get one today if you're interested.)

Don't know when I'll get to play this - I've already got too many games on the go. I've been looking forward to it for ages, though, and loved the demo, so I may not have the willpower not to tear into it at least a bit this weekend.

What a time to be alive.

McBradders said:
I blew up the giant tank! And like most of my squad was laying injured at the time and I still scraped through with a C rank :lol

Why so low?

Seriously I got an 'A' for that one, which I didn't expect given that I was on my ninth turn. I figured it was a reward, 'hey you actually made it through that one, have a high rank'.

Dyne

Wow, as soon as I learned this was SOA's developer, I got this intense boner for this game. I thought it was a PS3 sequel to "Valkyrie Profile" or something.

Except this game isn't out until Nov 11th in Canada. It's not even listed on Future Shop's website. Boo!

Durante

kay said:
At least it is beating retailer expectations, out of the 4 local stores 2 of them never got it, 1 had sold all of their 5 copies and then I got the last one from the other store. Even sold out at gamestop.com which I assume is pretty rare for a new release.
Good to hear, I hope it's not just a matter of stores having extremely low expectations.

Baha

Dyne said:
Wow, as soon as I learned this was SOA's developer, I got this intense boner for this game. I thought it was a PS3 sequel to "Valkyrie Profile" or something.

Except this game isn't out until Nov 11th in Canada. It's not even listed on Future Shop's website. Boo!

It's already out. Small game shops will have it if they haven't sold out already and there has been confirmation that even blockbuster received it this week. Ignore the major retailers on this one if you want to get it now.

Dyne

Baha said:
It's already out. Small game shops will have it if they haven't sold out already and there has been confirmation that even blockbuster received it this week. Ignore the major retailers on this one if you want to get it now.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely hitting up the Rogers Vid.... *cough* Plus tonight then. :D

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Die Squirrel Die said:
Why so low?

Seriously I got an 'A' for that one, which I didn't expect given that I was on my ninth turn. I figured it was a reward, 'hey you actually made it through that one, have a high rank'.

I lost 3 turns waiting for the tank to turn 90% so I could take out the guns. I mis-aligned my squad during setup and my lancers weren't spread out enough.

so VC is officially the current highest rated JRPG on either PS3/360
i'm really glad it's being received so well, i just hope sales can reflect that somehow
i think this is definitely a sleeper hit of 08

Durante

BlazingDarkness said:
so VC is officially the current highest rated JRPG on either PS3/360
In fact it's the highest rated JRPG on PS3/360/Wii and thus of the generation so far. And deservedly so.
(In addition to that it's also the highest rated strategy game on these platforms)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I had Vyse and Alex from the first chapter and they've been my mop-up crew ever since. Anyone who gets in their way is usually dead.

I use Rosie for the extra CP and she runs with the scouts. I've got Aika but I haven't used her yet, only use two scouts and they are Alicia and Noce.

jsrv

So on Circuit City's website it says the game isn't going to be released until the 11th, even though an ad said the sale was going on on the 9th. Is this true for all Circuit city's, or just the online store and select few actual stores?

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:
In fact it's the highest rated JRPG on PS3/360/Wii and thus of the generation so far. And deservedly so.
(In addition to that it's also the highest rated strategy game on these platforms)

Not that there was any actual competition in the SRPG field.

outsidah

Very very cool... just played the demo.

I got Dragon Force (Saturn) nostalgia... damnit why so many good games at the same time?

I'm on Fallout3 right now with GOW2 tomorrow... Mirrors Edge next week... ahhhhhhh still have to finish NG2. lol..

kay

Spruchy said:
Don't worry it only has 18 reviews right now compared to ToV's 39...it will fall.
It would need 6s and 7s to fall that far down. And Tales is less than Eternal Sonata anyway.

So far every battle has had a 20 turn limit. I don't think I've yet had a battle that went into double digits (maybe one or two, but not by much). It's definitely not something pressing.

rykomatsu

kiryogi said:
Not that there was any actual competition in the SRPG field.

PS3 (atleast in Japan) has a very strong selection of SRPGs that were rather highly rated by players in the gameplay department.

Storywise, Tears to Tiara beats out VC (imho) by a longshot. Voice acting quality is comparable.

Replayability, Disgaea 3 and Agarest (and X Edge if you consider it an SRPG...a little more of a hybrid than a pure RPG or SRPG) have VC beat hands down.

VC obviously has the 3D graphics department locked down and accomplishes a lot at a very high level.

The quality of SRPGs on the PS3 has been rather high to the point that people commonly mention that as a reason to get a PS3, or at the very least, an SRPG fan has a lot to be happy about on the PS3.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Holy crap, while upgrading some stuff I just
hit down at Upgrade 4 for weapons. I thought it was just those 4 and now there's a maaassiiive tree of shit. I knew it was fishy that I was upgrading so fast but holy tits, I didn't expect all this. Also, that fucking huge tank was a bitch, but not too much of a bitch, and Selvaria is a fucking badass.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Durante said:
Good to hear, I hope it's not just a matter of stores having extremely low expectations.

This is a very strong possibility.

Why would you order large amount of a game you don't expect to sell well? Valkyria has shown ZERO indication aside from the great impressions of the demo that it will be a huge seller.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
rykomatsu said:
PS3 (atleast in Japan) has a very strong selection of SRPGs that were rather highly rated by players in the gameplay department.

Storywise, Tears to Tiara beats out VC (imho) by a longshot. Voice acting quality is comparable.

Replayability, Disgaea 3 and Agarest (and X Edge if you consider it an SRPG...a little more of a hybrid than a pure RPG or SRPG) have VC beat hands down.

VC obviously has the 3D graphics department locked down and accomplishes a lot at a very high level.

The quality of SRPGs on the PS3 has been rather high to the point that people commonly mention that as a reason to get a PS3, or at the very least, an SRPG fan has a lot to be happy about on the PS3.

I still want to get Tears to Tiara at some point. OT, but is the limited edition version worth it?

kiryogi

Banned
Rykomatsu: Wasn't ToT originally a h bgame or something like that..? And realistically, we all know VC's story wasn't much to write home about. Wait a minute, we had this arguement before in the Jp thread. Comparing to Leaf this time though.

Dyne

Ohhhhhhh yes I got this! Shit son! Last copy, too!

Between this, Eternal Sonata, Banjo Nuts and Bolts, and Gears of War 2, I'm going to have a very fun next couple of months.

Hcoregamer00

dallow_bg said:
Took calls to 9 different GS stores before I found one with an extra artbook.
Bought it.

Damn, I don't even think I have 4 Gamestops in my local area.

Good riddance, after the drama with the preorders I will not go there again.

rykomatsu

kiryogi said:
Rykomatsu: Wasn't ToT originally a h bgame or something like that..? And realistically, we all know VC's story wasn't much to write home about. Wait a minute, we had this arguement before in the Jp thread. Comparing to Leaf this time though.

Did I say Agarest had a better story? It's possible I did lol.

TtT was originally an hgame with I believe RTS mixed into it. That doesn't make the story any less better though. Same could be said about AIR or KANON :p hgame != bad story. On the flipside and completely OT but I wonder why KEY decided to make Little Busters go from a non-h to hgame...

Just the point I'm trying to make is, PS3 in JPN has a very solid SRPG lineup, unlike the rest of the world :)

Kagari said:
I still want to get Tears to Tiara at some point. OT, but is the limited edition version worth it?

I think the LE is just a soundtrack, of which, I believe, you can listen to it in its entirety in the bonus sections of the game (might be missing a couple tracks...dunno). There's one that's done by a male vocalist which is hauntingly beautiful (no pun intended in regards to Haunting Melody by Suara in the same game)

I really enjoyed the VC story actually. I felt that it had a good pace and managed to keep a constant theme/mood throughout the game. My biggest problem with ToV is how horrible the story becomes in the end. There was a lot of potential that went nowhere.

So has any one in here played Selveria DLC? I am wary after the Eddy one.

kiryogi

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
I really enjoyed the VC story actually. I felt that it had a good pace and managed to keep a constant theme/mood throughout the game. My biggest problem with ToV is how horrible the story becomes in the end. There was a lot of potential that went nowhere.

Well if it helps, it's at least 3 missions. :lol As discussed before on the story bit, I felt like they really beating around the bush early on. As kyoufu said, you'd see the main villains like 7 chapters ago and nothing has happened since involving the main plot. By the time the main plot actually hits, it doesn't turn out to be much more than the end of a war and peaceful times.

Rykomatsu: heh, I think the most solid SRPG lineup out there right now is the PSP. Say Agarest was good seems to be pushing it. :cough: idea factory :cough: and again, vn/hgame stories are on a whole different scale from rpg/srpg plots.

Hcoregamer00

kiryogi said:
vn/hgame stories are on a whole different scale from rpg/srpg plots.

I don't know if you are being serious or facetious.

Visual Novels sure, but I am sure that H-games run the gamut of quality storytelling far more than VN's.

kiryogi

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I don't know if you are being serious or facetious.

Visual Novels sure, but I am sure that H-games run the gamut of quality storytelling far more than VN's.

What I mean is we shouldn't be comparing the two at all. Which Rykomatsu keeps doing since the JP valkyria thread. Comparing RPG/SRPG to Leaf, KEY and all that. They're totally different thiings.

maskrider

rykomatsu said:
I think the LE is just a soundtrack, of which, I believe, you can listen to it in its entirety in the bonus sections of the game (might be missing a couple tracks...dunno). There's one that's done by a male vocalist which is hauntingly beautiful (no pun intended in regards to Haunting Melody by Suara in the same game)

LE is card box + sound track + art book + game. TTT is very boring IMHO.

BudokaiMR2 said:

The first 3 missions in Selvaria DLC are not easy, the difficulty of the 4th one (all S rank bonus) depends whether you want to S rank.

Unlike Edie's missions (which is mainly a treat for her fans), Selvaria DLC is hardcore (like Hard-EX DLC) and you can use Ruhm in regular/skirmish missions after clearing the first 3 missions. I think the DLC is worth it even if you are not a fan of Selvaria.

kiryogi said:
Well if it helps, it's at least 3 missions. :lol As discussed before on the story bit, I felt like they really beating around the bush early on. As kyoufu said, you'd see the main villains like 7 chapters ago and nothing has happened since involving the main plot. By the time the main plot actually hits, it doesn't turn out to be much more than the end of a war and peaceful times.

Rykomatsu: heh, I think the most solid SRPG lineup out there right now is the PSP. Say Agarest was good seems to be pushing it. :cough: idea factory :cough: and again, vn/hgame stories are on a whole different scale from rpg/srpg plots.

Eh I think you are just looking at it from a little bit of a different perspective. IMO there wasn't supposed to be a huge emphasis on the main plot. It was just about the various exploits of the team during the war. Just because a plot doesn't get retarded crazy with ridiculous twists doesn't make it an inferior story.

I mean I am not saying it was amazing or anything, but unlike most RPGs there were no moments where I just shook my head at the stupidity.

Hcoregamer00

maskrider said:
The first 3 missions in Selvaria DLC are not easy, the difficulty of the 4th one (all S rank bonus) depends whether you want to S rank.

Unlike Edie's missions (which is mainly a treat for her fans), Selvaria DLC is hardcore (like Hard-EX DLC) and you can use Ruhm in regular/skirmish missions after clearing the first 3 missions. I think the DLC is worth it even if you are not a fan of Selvaria.

Is that even possible? Selvaria is so bad ass and evil that you can't help but like her.

Although I do wish that Sega did a better job in handling her as a character and villain.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm...just picked this up, from the first battle, I imagine I'll be liking this quite a bit.

Out of curiosity, are the "yellow" and "red" sightlines really that close looking to each other? The only way I could REALLY tell the difference was the "arrow" next to the soldier I was about to combat.

And if it turns from yellow to red, that's the only time an enemy can counterattack after your attack as well as perform those potshots?

Edit: Answered that last one on my own.

Hcoregamer00

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Selvaria also has an amazing theme that plays in the background when she goes into "hyper mode"

:D

Top Bottom