• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Die Squirrel Die said:
Not really. I used Rosie, Largo and Alicia and was getting either 5 or 6 per turn, I think it was 6.

Well that surely doesn't help things. Hopefully it's smoothed over next time I load it up.

rykomatsu

SnakeXs said:
I used Rosie and Largo but
no matter what I only get 4CP per turn. Is that normal?

The storyline characters give you more CP over whatever base CP you get, kinda like the named enemies...when they pop, you can't get the extra CP back even if you rescue and send them out into battle again.

SnakeXs

rykomatsu said:
The storyline characters give you more CP over whatever base CP you get, kinda like the named enemies...when they pop, you can't get the extra CP back even if you rescue and send them out into battle again.

Yeah I know, I had them in the field them for the mission but only had 4 CP. Strange, but hopefully will be ok next time I try.

Kyoufu

Is chapter 7 the onw where you fight
Gerbil
? If so, that one railed me in the anus but I got the strat down in the end and overcame it...........

until the next mission which was REALLY annoying omg.

Baha

HOLY CRAP

I just completed mission 7,
I went with 3 lancers, 1 engineer, 1 scout, 1 sniper & 2 shocktroopers. I had it planned so that the final radiator I would destroy would be on the right side of the Batomy but one of Largo's potentials messed that up for me (destroyed the right too early) and then Selvaria showed up and I started to lose my shit so I hid my 3 lancers behind a small ruin next to the Batomy on the right while she rushed from the left with her squad. I only needed one hit on the left side radiator but she was guarding it. I ended up using my tank to wipe out her squad and then when the radiator was exposed I made Yoko go for it. I don't know how long Selvaria charges her attack for but I escaped twice just barely. It took me 12 turns but man it felt intense. The story may not be up to par with other rpgs but the game play makes up for it in droves. Fucking A.

The game is pretty difficult I have to admit. At first I was doing fine and wasn't going to use the mid-mission saves at all, but after the battles starting growing longer and longer it became clear that I wasn't going to do that and save sanity. At times I feel like I executed a perfect strategical run of a map, while other times I feel like I barely make it through after multiple attempts. It reminds me a lot of Advance Wars.

Leam

zoku88 said:
Well, that kinda sucks. I got my copy from Amazon T_T

Amazon has a price guarantee... if the price drops within the month of your buy they give the diference back, just mail em. I got 60$ back after buying a dvd set once.

zoku88

Leam said:
Amazon has a price guarantee... if the price drops within the month of your buy they give the diference back, just mail em. I got 60$ back after buying a dvd set once.
Really, awesome. Thanks!

I just beat the game and it was an really awesome experience. Did anyone start a "new game+"? What carries over from my previous game? Is it possible to get a different set of recruits?

May16

Durante said:
10dw0lk.jpg

• "Valkyria Chronicles is an amazing experience. It’s rare, these days, that a game can make such a huge departure from its genre’s roots and yet keep the best things about it. It revolutionizes strategy RPGs in such a way that it can be appealing to fans of the subgenre, newcomers, and perhaps even sworn-off non-fans of it."
  • "Unlike many tactical games, Valkyria Chronicles requires tactics. Gloriously, however, it does not confine the player to figuring out a single pattern or strategy per mission."
  • "The characters are excellently developed, likeable, well-acted and well-scripted. While scattered elements of these will be labeled as cliche, the plot is executed well, the story is very enjoyable, the cast is quite likeable, and all of the above feel extra fresh because of the unique setting and scenario."
  • "Another thing Valkyria has going on for it is challenge. Even in the first playthrough when “Normal” is the highest difficulty available for a given battle, this is a legitimately difficult game."
    -

jsrv

archnemesis said:
I just beat the game and it was an really awesome experience. Did anyone start a "new game+"? What carries over from my previous game? Is it possible to get a different set of recruits?

Can you switch difficulty on new game +?

Baha

From the review posted above:

Adding to all this, those who still end up finding the game easy will be delighted with the punishing Hard Mode, available after clearing the game.

I think your levels might carry over.

RpgN

Kagari said:
:/ Oh well.

Who cares, really? It looks like a special offer and not some kind of overshipped theory.

The game is awesome. I don't regret to have paid 65 euros for it and still don't. For the people who have yet to buy it, this is your chance. Do it!

Ps. Anyone played Largo's mission from the report yet? It was really nice. Probably one of my favourite levels. Though that doesn't say much, since they're all good.

I'm taking my time and am enjoying the game. Chapter 7 is next :D

Durante

RpgN said:
Ps. Anyone played Largo's mission from the report yet? It was really nice. Probably one of my favourite levels. Though that doesn't say much, since they're all good.
I agree, it's a very nice change of pace from the large-scale battles.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Is there an easy way to see how many shots an awarded weapon has other than to equip it and shoot with it in a mission?

Durante

Tempy said:
Is there an easy way to see how many shots an awarded weapon has other than to equip it and shoot with it in a mission?
Do awarded weapons have a different number of shots from the standard ones? I don't think I noticed anything like that.

SnakeXs

Tempy said:

There's a Weapons page in the book mode. Has a neat little write up for each weapon and I'm pretty sure says how many shots are in a clip.

Also, what's this speak of reports? o_O

Baha

SnakeXs said:
There's a Weapons page in the book mode. Has a neat little write up for each weapon and I'm pretty sure says how many shots are in a clip.

Also, what's this speak of reports? o_O

When you buy reports from the reporter, you'll notice blue tabs on the left side of the book. Either flip back or go to episode select to view them.

Dre

Yeah, I finally got my copy from the UK for only £24,82 (approx. 40$) ! :D

So GAF tell me, what's the verdict on the HDD installation ? Is it worth it and do the loadtimes noticeably take less time ? Has someone measured the difference ?

RpgN

Durante said:
I agree, it's a very nice change of pace from the large-scale battles.

Yes, it came at the right time. It was also nice to controll you know who as a scout for a change :D

Baha said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wpwy8NNXzs

After the 4 minute mark, 'I hope we can make a sequel...' and '..in order to do that, this title has to be very welcome in Western audiences.'

OMG, I'm going to cry :( I want a sequel!

That was a very interesting interview. They felt they truly needed to change the genre to the next step. In my opinion, they succeeded in that greatly.

nny

I don't have much time to dedicate to it right now (as I'm trying to finish my Masters thesis), but my part is done, the game is bought.

It's been a while since I've been this interested in the commercial success of a game, I really hope the developer's expectations are met.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm thinking of picking this up when I get my PS3 back. How long is the game?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok so probably around 30 to 40 for me, it took me like 65 hours to beat Okami for some reason! :lol

And btw, make a real sequel (gameplay-wise) to Final Fantasy Tactics on PS3 already!!!!!!!!!!!:| My favorite game ever. I miss good strategy RPGs.

SnakeXs

The depth and ever increasing feeling of power in this game is great.

I would have been happy with the first few missions x 19, but now with all the upgrading, Elite classes, orders, amazing mission variety, and pure feeling of control now that I have higher accuracy (especially with Snipers <3), it's gone above and beyond what I expected. And I'm just on Ch. 10.

So glad I picked this up.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Baha said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wpwy8NNXzs

After the 4 minute mark, 'I hope we can make a sequel...' and '..in order to do that, this title has to be very welcome in Western audiences.

BUY IT!!

FUCK, judging from this threads movement (or the lack thereof) this game will sell like shit.

Which means no Valkyria Chronicles 2.

I always said that the future of the franchise is dependent on western sales (read my damn post history), but hearing it from the horse's mouth that they WANT to make a Valkyria Chronicles 2 and that the onus is on the Western markets to buy the game is very different.

kiryogi

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
FUCK, judging from this threads movement (or the lack thereof) this game will sell like shit.

Which means no Valkyria Chronicles 2.

I always said that the future of the franchise is dependent on western sales (read my damn post history), but hearing it from the horse's mouth that they WANT to make a Valkyria Chronicles 2 and that the onus is on the Western markets to buy the game is very different.

I noticed this earlier yesterday too. What happened to all the hyped posters and etc. ? :lol

Leam

kiryogi said:
I noticed this earlier yesterday too. What happened to all the hyped posters and etc. ? :lol

Well i've been avoiding spoilers heh. And right now i'm going back to playing it.

When will we have sales info? I want VC2 :(

FredFish

Got my copy from Amazon yesterday. Should get some playtime in this weekend finally though R2 is my current focus. Anyone know how the Amazon pre-order bonus coupon works? I haven't gotten an e-mail about it and don't see anything in My Account. Would like to use the $10 off for Persona 4

Hcoregamer00

Leam said:
Well i've been avoiding spoilers heh. And right now i'm going back to playing it.

When will we have sales info? I want VC2 :(

Normally in a thread like this, it would be moving at a breakneck speed once a game is released since people will be talking about events and problem missions.

I think it is quite indicative of how the game will sell (like shit) since this thread seems to buckle all NeoGAF official thread trends. This should be at 2,000 posts by now if all the previous posters played the game and wants to talk about how good it is.

We are not getting VC2.

Shadow780

Played the game and love every minute of it.

On top of it, DLC with Ex-Hard and extra chapters, ooooooh sexy...

*looked at my GoW2, R2, LBP, Fable 2 and RA3* if there's only one game that's coming out this holiday I want it to be this game.

I hate whoever likes SRPG and not buying this game :(

anyway that's the end of my pointless rant and back to the game~:D

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
Normally in a thread like this, it would be moving at a breakneck speed once a game is released since people will be talking about events and problem missions.

I think it is quite indicative of how the game will sell (like shit) since this thread seems to buckle all NeoGAF official thread trends. This should be at 2,000 posts by now if all the previous posters played the game and wants to talk about how good it is.

We are not getting VC2.

Don't be so negative. It's not the end of the world if amazon has a special deal. I hope more people will buy the game simply by the reviews (outside of GAF). Though some comments are absolutely mean. It's like they want the game to flop!

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
Don't be so negative. It's not the end of the world if amazon has a special deal. I hope more people will buy the game simply by the reviews (outside of GAF). Though some comments are absolutely mean. It's like they want the game to flop!

Its the truth, people should be talking about this game.

This thread should be more active than when the game was released in the 31st in Europe and the 4th in America.

I am only in Chapter 8 and there is already so much to talk about, but no one wants to talk. So there is no need for me to have a conversation. Hell, this thread is an aberration because it does the opposite of what official threads do, it should have far more discussion than before the game was released.

Forgive me if I am being negative, but this thread and the Amazon deal does not inspire any form of sales hope. If the game really did sell well, then people should be talking about it because of all the good stuff about the game.

Shadow780

Just bought another one from Amazon, this game deserves it.

Oh if anyone's planning on getting the guide, don't bother. It lacks skirmish battles.

Hcoregamer00

Shadow780 said:
Just bought another one from Amazon, this game deserves it.

Oh if anyone's planning on getting the guide, don't bother. It lacks skirmish battles.

If the game truly gets a "price collapse" and goes down in price way too fast, I will just buy copies and give them as Christmas presents.

God, I hate when I keep on saying it, and it actually happens.

:(

Top Bottom